PDA

View Full Version : Updates on ambush?

Umpyr
03-14-2004, 02:50 AM
I was reading through some old posts (Novemberish) and everyone was claiming that ambush is useless. Has anyone's outlook since changed?

Xcalibur
03-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Ambush "just" reduce DS when you do it from hidden.

So, if you extrapolate a bit, swift kick would do the same thing, surely ambush does it more, though.

So if you'd wanna be greedy, and have already mastered cheap shot, well, maybe 1X ambush, swift kick = dead?

TheEschaton
03-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Ambush still works like the old ambush, but the crits are randomized.

If you roll high enough to get what would of been a rank 10 crit, that's divided in half (to get a rank 5), and the crit can be anywhere between rank 5 and rank 10, from a random roll.

It sucks when you hit that rank 5. What I'm trying to figure out is that if you hit a theoretically rank 12, would the range be 6-12? Or still 5-10 since the highest crit you can get it 10. Then it would be worth training in ambush, if you could hit "theoretical" max range crit ranks.

-TheE-

Xcalibur
03-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Eh, isn't ALL crits are random now?

It maxes out at 9 or 10, whatever the max is.

Good trick I thought was that a rank 4 and higher kill on puncture on an eye.

So if you do enough damage to get a level 8 or 9 crits, you kill the critter 100% of the time (if the crits would kill it in the first place)

Bobmuhthol
03-14-2004, 09:54 AM
<<So if you do enough damage to get a level 8 or 9 crits, you kill the critter 100% of the time (if the crits would kill it in the first place)>>

Correct, but in GSIII, if you did enough damage to get a level 4 crit the critter would also die 100% of the time.

Trinitis
03-14-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm loving the ds push down with a claid, personally.

Xcalibur
03-14-2004, 01:34 PM
So, ambush = less DS for the critter, it DOES NOTHING CONCERNING CRITS beside making it easier since you have more AS VS DS.

Therefore, rogue are poor warriors that pick

:)

Edaarin
03-14-2004, 07:47 PM
I found ambush to be much improved in GSIV. I guess it's relative to what level you are, and what you hunt. Chances are likely you won't death crit a stone sent or a stone mastiff or things like that even on a 300 end roll, but it's nice not having to wait for something to swing before attacking.

I'd say I still got an eye crit 75%+ the time, and with the DF increases in smaller/faster weapons, it was much more effective than it was in III.

Umpyr
03-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Glad to hear positive input among all the negative, Ed. Thanks.

Madmox
03-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah I like this thread ever since the change i have been fully trained in ambush but did'nt know if it was still worth it.

Colin