PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Snowstorm

Jorddyn
12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
... kicked my ass

12/8, 6:30AM: Wake up. Shovel the 2 inches of snow off my driveway and sidewalks. Severely underestimate the amount of time necessary to do this. Should be at work (almost 20 minutes away in good weather) at 8, get into car at 7:55. Say screw it and stop for fountain Diet Coke anyway.

8:10 AM: Call friend at work to tell her I'm fine but running late. Swear at car ahead of me going 25.
8:13 AM: Call friend at work to tell her I'm now running really late as someone coming the opposite direction lost control of their car, crashed into me, and landed in the ditch on my side of the road. Swear at car ahead of me for not being the one to get hit.

8:30 AM: Sheriff arrives.
9:15 AM: Sheriff finally finishes whatever he's been doing in his car for the past 45 minutes and brings me paperwork.

10:00 AM: Arrive at work. Call my insurance. Call her insurance. Answer 5000 questions.
10:05 AM: (The one perk of my day) Get e-mail from coworker saying suspicious person hanging around my car. Suspicious person is actually body shop guy I called 5 minutes earlier. I love small towns sometimes.
11:30 AM: Receive additional call from her insurance. Answer same 5000 questions. Fax copy of estimate that body shop guy has already provided.
12:00 PM: Receive additional call from my insurance, who wants to talk about my homeowners' (WTF!?).

12:00PM - 3:30 PM: Work
3:31 PM: Note snow/sleet getting bad, leave work.
3:55 PM: Note fishtailing SUV in my lane approximately 100 feet ahead. Luckily, this one went into their own ditch instead of the one on my side of the road.
4:30 PM: 2 more hours shoveling snow.
6:30 PM: 1 bottle wine + 2 Aleve

12/9 8:00 AM: Put on 4 layers of clothes, grab shovel, go outside. Spend 2 hours and remove 10 inches of snow from 3/4 of driveway and one sidewalk (corner lot). Decide to warm up, then go back out to do the other sidewalk and front steps.
10:00 AM: Dry clothes, answer emails, warm feet by fire.
11:00 AM: Go out front door to tackle front steps from top (yay logic!). Realize as door shuts that it is locked.
11:01 AM: Swear. A LOT.
11:02 AM: Scan streets for neighbors, only one of which I've met in my two months here. Start shoveling since I really don't know what else to do.

11:10 AM: Neighbor kitty-corner from me comes out with snowblower. Accost said neighbor and ask to borrow phone to call friend who is hopefully brave enough to come over with key. To quote newly met neighbor "It's ok, I can break in." This is both wonderful news and very disturbing. And, as it turns out, very true. Said neighbor also takes pity on me and finishes front sidewalk with his snowblower.

11:30 AM: Hide spare key in garage. Call uncle and order snowblower.
11:35 AM: Go back out to finish front steps, which are buried under snow. Step off side of said step, twist ankle, crash to snowy icy concrete-y ground. Swear at steps. Swear at shovel. Give up.
11:45 AM: Glass of wine + 2 Aleve.
12:00 PM: Realize that the plow has done the street in front of me, and the street on the side - but stopped at the corner, leaving my driveway blocked by a 2 foot drift of snow. And I'm almost out of smokes.

9:00 PM: Plow comes by. Street clear. 2 foot drift at foot of my driveway now approximately 3 1/2 feet thanks to plow. Sidewalks and driveway covered by blowing snow.

9:01 PM: Glass of wine, 2 Aleve, and the last cigarette in my house.

Summary: 3 giant bruises, ankle size of grapefruit, incredibly sore back, with a driveway and two sidewalks I have to shovel again in the AM. I lose at being a homeowner.

pabstblueribbon
12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Rent a Mexican!

Skeeter
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
<3 my snowblower. and all we got today was cold ass 40 MPH wind and some rain. waaay better than snow.

Kuyuk
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Rent two, they're cheap :)

pabstblueribbon
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Rent two, they're cheap :)

I thought you only rented czechoslovakians.

::dr evil pinky thing::

Makkah
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Just another reason the Midwest needs to fucking die.

Archigeek
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Shoveled 8" in St Paul just now. Took the bus to work so I didn't have to deal with it till I got home and it was overwith. My neighbor Joe, did my sidewalk along the street, but left me the walk to the house and the drive. Done in 45 minutes, eat soup, drink tea, consider scotch or cognac... later.

Was a pretty nasty storm, was blowing like a banshee in the middle of the night, and cold as a witches tit on a brass doorknob.

Jorddyn
12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
11:30 AM: Hide spare key in garage. Call uncle and order snowblower.

Already have a snowblower on the way. I take back every evil thing I've ever said about anyone who has one.

On a slightly amusing note, with having a corner lot, the curb having a cut-out, the wind blowing 50 mph, two foot drifts, and one of the streets not plowed - I shoveled part of the street without noticing.

Celephais
12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
<3 my snowblower.
Completely agree, but not sure what that has to do with shoveling sidewalks.

Gan
12-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Global Warming.

(I cant believe it took 10 posts for this to appear in a severe weather thread.)

Reawing
12-10-2009, 02:17 AM
I am luckily on vacation but am returning to the Wisconsin blizzard on Friday. ugh

Deathravin
12-10-2009, 02:35 AM
http://images.chron.com/blogs/sciguy/archives/thenino.jpg

Atlanteax
12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
My typical experience in blizzard conditions:

http://cagle.com/working/091209/sack.jpg

Tsa`ah
12-11-2009, 04:24 AM
... kicked my ass

12/8, 6:30AM: Wake up. Shovel the 2 inches of snow off my driveway and sidewalks.

Aside from the rest of your day ... you suck.

We got the wind gusts from hell and the sub freezing temps. The snow was a no go and for that you suck.

I was looking forward to a few inches to a few feet of snow.