PDA

View Full Version : Candles Suck

Bobmuhthol
07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
I want it. But I can't have it. The reason candles suck:

You also see a large acorn, a silver-banded sinuous ebony candle inlaid with sparkling blue glass chips and some stone benches with a large acorn on it.
Obvious paths: east, west, northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest
>get candle
That's not yours.
>
The sinuous ebony candle flickers softly, casting a warm light throughout the area.
>
>extinguish candle
You snuff out the sinuous ebony candle.
>get candle
>
That's not yours.
>light candle
You light the sinuous ebony candle, which flickers and begins to burn.
>
get candle
>That's not yours.
>
>mychar thinks this candle sucks.
You think to yourself, "this candle sucks."
>

Ilvane
07-23-2003, 09:29 PM
I hate it when people kick down the candle someone puts up, just because they feel like it. I mean, what's the point??

-A

Bobmuhthol
07-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Kick = Extinguish = Snuff.

Meaning You = Hate me.

I lit the candle again. I expected to be able to pick it up because I extinguished it. Upon failure I lit it. So stop hating me.

Me = Awesome.
You = Must Stop Hating Awesome.
Awesome = Noble.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-23-2003, 10:08 PM
I have one of those candles, and you can't have it.

Sean
07-23-2003, 11:04 PM
i kick out candles because they are annoying .. so are censors unfortunatly i cant kick out someones censor

i also wish i could break bard instruments .. i guess i just hate scripted items

[Edited on 7-24-2003 by Tijay]

GS4Gurl
07-24-2003, 02:35 AM
Feel free to kick out Bobs (censored)

tee hee

Betheny
07-24-2003, 03:27 AM
His (censored) is scripted?!?

Dighn Darkbeam
07-24-2003, 03:07 PM
also wish i could break bard instruments .. i guess i just hate scripted items >>

I would very much like to see a feature where we could ignore people playing music. I also hate the fact that the script tells me how the music is effecting me. We already have the RP verb ignore, perhaps it could be coded so you could ignore the person who is playing.

Dighn's heart does not soar whenever some fool picks up a harp.

Kris na Su'ta

Parkbandit
07-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I couldn't agree more. I hate instruments. I hate the fact that they progress in their lessons if they play them in front of crowds. I hate the scripts that say my character has any type of emotion to the melody of the instrument.

I've saved most of the instrument strings to my list and made them the color of black so I don't have to see them... but even the double, sometimes triple lines of blank black space is annoying.

Ilvane
07-24-2003, 03:29 PM
That's really a shame. I really enjoy playing and practicing in front of people. Of course, most of the time I'm singing too, while playing.

I don't know if that makes a difference..but so many people look at me with annoyance..while some love it. Bards have it tough with performing. Why not be a street musician and sing in the center? It's not exactly a small place.;)

-A

Dighn Darkbeam
07-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Dont get me wrong, Ilvan, I am glad they added instruments into the game and would not have them removed. I simply wish I could ignore someone that was playing them, or at the very least use a demeanor verb

EXAMPLE. Dighn visibly winces as Ilvane brings her flute to her lips and begins to play. The wince quickly turns into a frown, finally developing into a disgusted scowl as Ilvane's music continues.

Kris na Su'ta

Vesi
07-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I hate the fact that they progress in their lessons if they play them in front of crowds

Do you really advance faster if you play them in front of others? My bardess either plays in her house, resting at a table from hunting or at her god's altar. Reason being is that I didn't want to cause extra screen scroll. Even if this is true about advancing faster, don't think I'm going to change where she plays. Guess I missed that lesson in Bard 101.

Vesi

Betheny
07-24-2003, 04:43 PM
I was told that audience and style don't matter in learning to play an instrument, and neither does 'learning in your head'.

I'm not a bard though, the mechanics might change a little for bards.

Soulpieced
07-24-2003, 04:43 PM
I scripted playing an instrument with absolutely no style, and usually by myself. Probably mastered it in about a week and a half. I do not believe that audience has anything to do with instrument learning.

Vesi
07-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
I scripted playing an instrument with absolutely no style, and usually by myself. Probably mastered it in about a week and a half. I do not believe that audience has anything to do with instrument learning.

Well, I don't script my instrument, but it's nice to know that I don't have to have an audience. I like to play at my god's altar in hopes of someone stopping and interacting with me.

Also, I usually light a candle while playing there. However, I take it with me when I leave.

Vesi

Gokkem
07-24-2003, 04:55 PM
From what I've read, all professions have to have exp in their head to advance playing styles. Although I've never tested it, I remember from when I played this seems to be consistent.

Parkbandit
07-24-2003, 04:55 PM
You can add that one to the myths then... I was told (I don't play those evil evil things) that playing an instrument in front of a crowd gets you 'promoted' faster.

Ilvane
07-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Who told you that? I heard that too, but why should bard have to practice in private, if they don't want to?

-A

Parkbandit
07-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Ilvane
Who told you that? I heard that too, but why should bard have to practice in private, if they don't want to?

-A

Not saying they can't... it was just told to me when instruments first came out that promotions will happen faster if one plays in front of a group.

Soulpieced
07-24-2003, 05:27 PM
From what I've read, all professions have to have exp in their head to advance playing styles.

Incorrect, I was belled for nearly every second I played.

Vesi
07-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Originally posted by Ilvane

-A

Not saying they can't... it was just told to me when instruments first came out that promotions will happen faster if one plays in front of a group.

Ok. Geeze. Now I'm really confused. I'm going to find a smooth stone and some tree bark just in case I need them too.

Vesi

StrayRogue
07-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Instruments don't require an audience. I recall the Bard Meeting in 98 or so when they stated that everyone would be able to progress in skill with them. They used the whole "you can learn the craft just as well in a room alone as you can in front of 20 people)" argument as their basis.

Snapp
07-24-2003, 10:26 PM
I believe advancement in instruments is just based on the amount of hours you play.. I read a chart somewhere (i have no idea where) of how long it takes to advance to each skill level.

Sean
07-25-2003, 07:14 PM
i know im a bit late to chime in but .. i dont mind instruments when someones interacting and singing and the likes .. its the people who just rest and play in public spaces that make me want to break them all