PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu + Wine + Stormfront

Alorn15
11-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone tried this recently? Older posts suggest that it's a bust, but I'm wondering if any Wine/Ubuntu updates may have fixed the issue.

Krayel
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
It's been a while a little, so I may not be the best to answer this question, but I was able to get it to work myself. The problem for me was speed, it ran so slow under wine that it was intolerable. If you have your heart set on it I would recommend using qemu, but I have no idea if Ubuntu's qemu setup is as easy as its wine.

Jaimaltz
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I use the wizard in Ubuntu, I wasn't able to get stormfront to work right last time I tried (~ 1 year ago).

I'm still using Tillman's lich v3, does v4 work in linux well? All the install instructions seem to be for windows so I haven't tried upgrading yet.

Tillmen
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Lich is developed on Linux, so it works on Linux first, and then usually needs a workaround or two for Windows. The install instructions for Linux would be something along the lines of:

1. Get Ruby and ruby-gnome2 on your own
2. download and extract lich-4.0.#.zip from lichproject.com
3. Optionally rename lich.rbw to lich.rb (the rbw file extension doesn't mean anything on Linux)
4. Give lich.rb (or lich.rbw) execute permission (chmod u+x lich.rb)
5. execute lich.rb (or lich.rbw) to bring up the Lich GUI for logging into the game or installing to the registry

Installing to the registry will install to WINE's registry, so SGE installed under WINE will launch Lich, with Lich and Ruby running native.

The Ruby 1.9.1 slowdown doesn't affect Linux, so Ruby 1.9 will be about twice as fast as Ruby 1.8 on Linux. Either should work well enough.

Option 2... If you've already got v3 installed, you can just copy the lich.rbw from the zip file over the top of your current lich.rb.