PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead 2: how is it?

Victor Mancini
11-17-2009, 04:08 AM
I won't be able to get it until next week (USPS mail). Anyone going to buy it today? If so, can you post on here and let me know what you thought of it?

I LOVE the first one, and the ign.com review said the second one is great for folks who loved L4D. If you didn't care for the first one, you'll hate the second one.

More copies for me then!

Thanks in advance.

Sean of the Thread
11-17-2009, 07:23 AM
My brother in law has it and says it's great which is a stretch for him as he usually only plays NCAA/Madden/Tiger Woods.

Oh and USPS reminds me that I just read they may be stopping Saturday service. Wtf.

Celephais
11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Loved the first one to death ... preordered the 2nd one and I'm downloading it now. One of my roommates played the demo (I didn't want to blue-balls myself) and looking over his shoulder it looked like everything I wanted it to be... IE more of the first, with improvements that come w/ experience. Levels looked better designed, I'm a bit iffy on the melee weapons but they didn't look crucial, I'll have to see if I like them in actual play, but the new items look pretty cool (boomer bile vial you can throw, defibulator for instant teammate 'pull up').

As far as using USPS to get your copy... /facepalm. Steam FTMFW

Ashliana
11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I picked it up today for the 360. Believe it or not, it's a good experience on the 360 (the first one was, anyway). Haven't played L4D2 yet.. but I "made a deal with the devil" and bought it from GameStop to get the pre-order baseball bat.

I played the demo, however. The melee weapons are very, very satisfying. BOONNNGGGGG! With the frying pan. <3

Victor Mancini
11-18-2009, 02:21 AM
My crummy and old computer would get eaten alive if I played it on Steam. I'm using XBox 360 for it (stop making fun of me).

I have no choice but to use USPS. They're the only ones that ship to military addresses overseas.

I did check amazon and it said it was shipped on 11/14. So I'll get it by Friday or Monday of next week. WOOHOO YIPPEE YIPPEE YIPPEEEEEEE!

iJin
11-18-2009, 03:02 AM
It fucking rules. Period.

Celephais
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Agree Jin. Awesome. I was extremely impressed with the graphics too, it looks beautiful, I have an 8800GTS, which is starting to get a bit old, and at 1920x1200 it recommended 4xAA and very high detail (on most of the settings, one or two were recommended at high, I forget which) and even in massive swarms it ran perfectly smooth.

I love the way the zombies get dismemebered... the magnum pistol is freaking sweet. It's a tad harder than the original I would say, haven't played all the movies yet but I do like the ones I have played (It may just be harder because I haven't learned the levels yet). The levels feel very organic too, I don't know what it is if I'm just getting tricked, but they don't feel as linear as the original, it's not particuarly obvious which way you have to go, but you tend to go the right way anyway... /shrug

Love it.

Bobmuhthol
11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I might be making this up but I thought I read that the level paths changed for each playthrough to avoid the inevitable "best path" that every L4D1 map had.

Paradii
11-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Loved the first one to death ... preordered the 2nd one and I'm downloading it now. One of my roommates played the demo (I didn't want to blue-balls myself) and looking over his shoulder it looked like everything I wanted it to be... IE more of the first, with improvements that come w/ experience. Levels looked better designed, I'm a bit iffy on the melee weapons but they didn't look crucial, I'll have to see if I like them in actual play, but the new items look pretty cool (boomer bile vial you can throw, defibulator for instant teammate 'pull up').

As far as using USPS to get your copy... /facepalm. Steam FTMFW

Granted, I've only played the demo, but the melee weapons were totally redic strong. Especially when puked on. Get in a corner and swing, swing, swing, swing.

Celephais
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I might be making this up but I thought I read that the level paths changed for each playthrough to avoid the inevitable "best path" that every L4D1 map had.
It sure felt like it... I certainly had no idea where I was going even on second playthroughs. One thing for sure I noticed was they move around powerups and stuff for the final battles, so while a first runthrough might make a certain spot the obvious camp spot, the next time around the ammo cache might not be there, so it's not the right spot. Very cool.

Celephais
11-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Granted, I've only played the demo, but the melee weapons were totally redic strong. Especially when puked on. Get in a corner and swing, swing, swing, swing.
They are really good, but I noticed anyone who picked on up at the start of a level instead of the pistol got smoked. Although I think that had more to do with them being all gung ho with the weapon, charging ahead, instead of letting people with pistols clear a path.

Sean of the Thread
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm jealous :(

*and envious

Ashliana
11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
L4D2 is a blast (especially the level with the thunderstorm), but it's much harder than the first. My friends and I had no problem with the campaigns on Advanced, but we had to lower the difficulty in the last stage of Dead Carnival after failing like 5 times.

Versus is incredibly fun. The new Infected types all rule, so it's extra disappointing when you get a Hunter. :X

There are a few new modes. Scavenge is basically a competitive, swapping version of the "objective" based sections of the campaigns. Like.. the survivors have to run around the environment finding gas to fill up the car, the infected stop them. Then they switch. Fun.

Victor Mancini
11-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the initial thoughts. ME HAPPY NOW!

I like that blue guy Ashliana has as an avatar. Looks cool.

Will check the mailroom tomorrow and hope it arrives ANY TIME NOW. I hope hope hope it does!

jamesjeans
12-18-2009, 06:37 AM
With exciting new content across the board and plenty of it, Left 4 Dead 2 outdoes its predecessor and makes the zombie apocalypse an absolute blast.

very well designed
Explosive new guns and deadly new melee weapons
Scavenge mode is a great short-form Versus mode
New survivors have more character, and new infected have fun abilities
Realism mode delivers a new level of tension.

Calbren
12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I've had it since release and so far I've played through one level on expert mode.

Celephais
12-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I am having way too much fun with scavenge mode to play too much of hte campaigns. The biggest issue I'm having is getting in groups w/ my friends, if you can get three other friends playing you can do the whole "Team" battle stuff, but usually I only have one or two other people I want to play with, so it's a dance of "OH THERE'S AN OPENING, JOIN JOIN JOIN!", followed by "Server Full".

Calbren
12-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I am having way too much fun with scavenge mode to play too much of hte campaigns. The biggest issue I'm having is getting in groups w/ my friends, if you can get three other friends playing you can do the whole "Team" battle stuff, but usually I only have one or two other people I want to play with, so it's a dance of "OH THERE'S AN OPENING, JOIN JOIN JOIN!", followed by "Server Full".

I have two friends I play one. One of them is good and the other is female (worse than a bot). Sorry chicks but FPS games just aren't for you.