PDA

View Full Version : Hacked!

longshot
07-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Is it just me, or is there a serious abuse of this terminology?

Being dumb enough to give out your password and then having someone screw you over is NOT being hacked.

Dumb slut says: I only had five people using my character while I went to the bahamas for a week. When I came back, I was hacked!

If you give out your password, and something bad happens, then it was your own damn fault. You were trying to get ahead by having someone else do something for you in your absence.

Has there been anyone that has honestly been "hacked"? Not given out there password to anyone, yet still had there character abused? I would like to know this...

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2003, 01:48 AM
That's what I've been saying for months. Nobody ever listens. I think everyone is sharing their password now, because everyone has become amazingly stupid.

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2003, 01:51 AM
<<Has there been anyone that has honestly been "hacked"? Not given out there password to anyone, yet still had there character abused? I would like to know this...>>

Nope. I *thought* it happened to me once. My password wouldn't work for like five minutes. Then it started working again and I promptly changed it.

GS4Gurl
07-24-2003, 02:32 AM
Bob I am almost afraid to ask but what in the hell is your little avatar doing?

Wethalhalas
07-24-2003, 02:45 AM
It's Cecil from Final Fantasy 2, after he goes over to the light from being a Dark Knight. Cecil rocked.

TjMaelstrom
07-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Actually, if you want to be accurate, it's Final Fantasy IV, but that's just nit-picking. It's probably my all time favorite console game.

Betheny
07-24-2003, 03:47 AM
'Hacked' is becoming a slang word for "Someone fucked me over and I don't want to be to blame."

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2003, 04:17 AM
<<Actually, if you want to be accurate, it's Final Fantasy IV, but that's just nit-picking.>>

Cecil Harvey is from Final Fantasy II on Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Final Fantasy II was also released on the PlayStation as Final Fantasy IV.

imported_Kranar
07-24-2003, 04:31 AM
<< 'Hacked' is becoming a slang word for "Someone fucked me over and I don't want to be to blame." >>

It seems 'hacked' is also becomming slang for "I just got caught with my pants down; maybe I can say I was hacked and plead innocent!"

Tendarian
07-24-2003, 07:20 AM
I was hacked and i had never given my pw to anyone for any reason. I got most of my stuff back from a gm,and from some nice people who had picked up the stuff the person didnt take that they threw on the ground in tsc. I still have no idea how it was done,but the gm said it might have been from some email auctions i was getting at the time,but who knows.

Soulpieced
07-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Some people probably have gotten hacked due to keystroke capture viruses and other sort of things that could be gotten through an e-mail attatchment or other type of virus. HOWEVER, I'll guarantee you 98% of the people claiming to have been "hacked" have shared their password at one time or another with somebody.

Jenisi
07-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Yes Longshot and Bob, it can happen. It happend to me 3 years ago due to a virus. No one knew my password, i didn't have my password saved on my computer, it contained numbers and letters. All the precautions I took didn't matter.

Jenisi
07-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Oh, and by the way. They still didn't do shit for me. Even with items of my floating around in other people's hands.

Parkbandit
07-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
Some people probably have gotten hacked due to keystroke capture viruses and other sort of things that could be gotten through an e-mail attatchment or other type of virus. HOWEVER, I'll guarantee you 98% of the people claiming to have been "hacked" have shared their password at one time or another with somebody.

Or used something easy to decipher as their password that someone else could guess.

Soulpieced
07-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Or used something easy to decipher as their password that someone else could guess.

Right, which also couldn't be considered a hack unless a password sniffer was used.

CrystalTears
07-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Jenisi
Yes Longshot and Bob, it can happen. It happend to me 3 years ago due to a virus. No one knew my password, i didn't have my password saved on my computer, it contained numbers and letters. All the precautions I took didn't matter.

Was this a virus you got from Simu or elsewhere? Because unless Simu was the cause of the virus I don't see how that's their problem, IMO.

longshot
07-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<Actually, if you want to be accurate, it's Final Fantasy IV, but that's just nit-picking.>>

Cecil Harvey is from Final Fantasy II on Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Final Fantasy II was also released on the PlayStation as Final Fantasy IV.

Living in Japan, and having to listen to innsecent video game rants daily, I know that the final fantasy games as we know them in the states are different from what they were originally released as in Japan.

The concensus here is that the Japanese final fantasy 6 (VI) is the greatest game ever created. I tend to lean towards seven myself, just for the pure fun factor. But, anyways, they are great games.

I'm still really curious to hear about "Hacked" stories though. As much as I like final fantasy, please try to keep on thread.

I'm drunk by the way.

Tsa`ah
07-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Misuse of terminology concerning computer security is screwed as a rule it seems.

Hack and virus are the two that spring to mind.

Hacked has already been covered.

Virus?

"Someone got my password because there was a virus on my HD".

Nope. Someone got your password via trojan. A virus corrupts data over time and eventually renders your HD inoperable if unchecked. A virus has zilch to do with someone else getting data from your HD via internet connection.

Skipping record again... I'll have to upgrade to CD.

HappyGuyJr
07-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Couldnt have said it better myself. Every time Ive read someone post here they got hit with a "virus" and it cost them their character, account, items... whatever, I've just rolled my eyes and muttered "bullshit". people are willing to blam stupidity on ANYTHING else EXCEPT stupidity.

Virus or Trojan or wahtever, still your own fault. You downloaded the file, you executed it, and you got hit.

99% complete bullshit, but MAYBE there was a real case or 2 after we first went to the web and folks were trying to pull that bullshit "Try this new Log-in site"

before that it was "Im a representative ofSprint-net; there is a problem with your log-in and we need you to reenter your log-in and password to verify the security of your account."

Basicly, if ANY of these ever got you, you don't deserve sympathy, because your an idiot.

Even I was an idiot once. A friend of mine sends me all kinds of crap, the silly top 10 reasons for whatever, blah blah blah. When I was still on AOL I get a letter from her talking about pics from her vacation, so I clicked the link. Took me HOURS to get the godamn virus off my system. Every time I tried to log-in to AOL it would take over, mail out my log-in to like 50 accounts and then position my desktop in such a way so i couldn't do anything but shut my system off cold.

My own fault, I wan't "hacked" and wasnt burned... just plain stupidity. It was the only time Ive ever open an attatchment WITHOUT verifying it first. Was the last time too.

Any of you who want to use any of thesee excuses for a sob story, or just to join the crowd of gripers and whiners... your being laughed at.

Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Misuse of terminology concerning computer security is screwed as a rule it seems.

Hack and virus are the two that spring to mind.

Hacked has already been covered.

Virus?

"Someone got my password because there was a virus on my HD".

Nope. Someone got your password via trojan. A virus corrupts data over time and eventually renders your HD inoperable if unchecked. A virus has zilch to do with someone else getting data from your HD via internet connection.

Skipping record again... I'll have to upgrade to CD.

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2003, 02:17 PM
<<Yes Longshot and Bob, it can happen. It happend to me 3 years ago due to a virus.>>

Due to a virus, huh? Then it was your own fault. Why don't you elaborate on how you got this virus for us?

StrayRogue
07-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Recently there have been virus's sent out via the Simu server. Most are caught and killed, but the odd one gets through. Hence why someone of us have been recieving blank mails from play.net addresses. No computer no matter what the protections is 100% safe.

AnticorRifling
07-24-2003, 03:48 PM
This is why it's good to have an ISSO as your friend :cool: everyone be nice to me and I'll hook you up IAVA style heh.

Betheny
07-24-2003, 03:51 PM
I don't even know what the hell you just said, Anticor.

Caels
07-24-2003, 04:02 PM
I've had plenty of viruses, but never been hacked.

In the way of virus protection, I highly recommend PC-Cillin. By far the best anti-virus I've ever used. Detects trojans, viruses, worms, all that stuff, also scans things as you download them (which can cause problems when running Kazaa). Blocks malicious activeX and java coding on web pages and if you have the subscription it updates nearly every day.

HappyGuyJr
07-24-2003, 08:46 PM
That is complete and utter bullshit. No virus has EVER come out of the Simu Server, and this statement is a perfect example of the kind of crap that gets started when folks talk and don't know what they are talking about.

It is VERY VERY easy to falsify an origin when sending out mailings or viruses. You can download any one of a dozen auto-gen spam programs that use the ability.

Originally posted by StrayRogue
Recently there have been virus's sent out via the Simu server. Most are caught and killed, but the odd one gets through. Hence why someone of us have been recieving blank mails from play.net addresses. No computer no matter what the protections is 100% safe.

CrystalTears
07-25-2003, 02:40 AM
I can only remember a couple of times that a virus was in the server and they sent an email or announcement out mentioning the email to look out for to not open.

I don't know about you, but I don't open any email from anyone I don't know. All that stuff gets put into my junk folder and I delete them without reading or opening them so I've never been attacked by a virus.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2003, 03:07 AM
E-mail viruses are for n00bs and gullible morons.

Cain
07-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
E-mail viruses are for n00bs and gullible morons.

Yeah, damn straight.
But in all honestly, it wouldn't be difficult at all to hack accounts. I mean, it's not like you can't head over to the forums and get the username. At that point you're halfway there.

StrayRogue
07-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by HappyGuyJr
That is complete and utter bullshit. No virus has EVER come out of the Simu Server, and this statement is a perfect example of the kind of crap that gets started when folks talk and don't know what they are talking about.
[/quote]

Read back in the announcements folder in the BBS if they haven't already been deleted already. There was a huge Virus scare about four months ago. I personaly got three emails from various play.net accounts I had never even spoken to before. (LAIRDGEOFF, GRELF, and some other one).

If they are not using the Simu server in some way, how the fuck are these emails coming and going? I personally have my own play.net address linked to hotmail, so the only way they could hack that is if they hacked my own hotmail account. And why the hell would they do that?

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Uhm.. when they warned us of the viruses, they made it very clear that Simutronics was not sending those e-mails and informed everyone that opening the imposter mail would be fatal.

StrayRogue
07-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Where else would they have gotten those addresses though? As someone else has said, half the difficulty of being hacked is removed due to the official BBS.

imported_Kranar
07-25-2003, 07:09 PM
<< Where else would they have gotten those addresses though? >>

Give me an e-mail address, and I'll send you an e-mail disguised from that address.