PDA

View Full Version : Error message

kgolfer
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
So I just upgraded to Win 7, and I am getting the following error message when I first enter the game....

* Problem saving local settings file on open [Permission denied]

Anyone know the answer? I imagine it has to do with being able to write to the apps directory....but don't know the exact way to turn it off.

Oh yeah, Don't mess with Texas!

AK

Asrial
11-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Need more info.

How are you connecting? What addons are you using? Where are the files for all this located?

phantasm
11-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Starting with vista programs cannot modify files stored in some locations, mainly Program Files directory.

to get around this:

right click the shortcut >> properties >> compatibility tab >> put a checkmark next to run as administrator.

-------------------------------

Not sure if this has any affect when the program is launched by SGE..

kgolfer
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
What do you mean "right-click the shortcut".....which shortcut?

Connecting by SGE/SF, installed in the normal directories, using psinet (but it was doing this prior to installing psinet). I copied/transferred the "appusers" directories to save my scripts and such for each character.

AK

Asrial
11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
The shortcut for Stormfront and the SGE.

At what point do you get the error? When it's trying to load SF? If so, you could probably just ignore the SGE.

Another option.. try installing SF to its own directory on the C drive. It sounds like it's trying to copy your server stored variables to the computer and 7 is saying no because of built in security.

AnticorRifling
11-11-2009, 02:57 PM
You set up as the admin of the machine or are you logged in on an account with less than admin status?

kgolfer
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
It is initially when SF loads. I am set up as the administrator. Weird thing is, I can continue to play.....I just don't like error messages.

AK

Asrial
11-12-2009, 12:58 AM
My best guess, based on what you're saying, is that SF is trying to make changes to stuff in the Program Files (or Data) directory and is doing it wrong so 7 is blocking it.

Try installing SF to it's own directory on the C drive (outside of the Program X area) and see what it does then.

kgolfer
11-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Alright, just in case anyone is having the same problems with WIN 7 here is a link to read about and fix the problem. It involves "ownership" of the folder etc. Anyways, this worked.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/e4b100a7-f65d-49c6-8555-6df40d35676a

AK

Asrial
11-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the heads up on this :)

kgolfer
11-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, it was getting to be a pain in the.....

I just hate seeing error messages, even if something still works. I spent hours last night after the family went to bed getting SGE, SF, Lich, and Psinet all working.

BTW, all in all I am pleased with Win 7. Seems to boot and load apps faster.

Thanks for everyone's help.

AK

Asrial
11-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Comparing 7 to Vista, I too have been happy with the performance change :)