PDA

View Full Version : RIP desktop

Androidpk
11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
My desktop just took a major dump and now it won't boot into windows at all. I've tried using a boot CD and it still won't work. Gets the the Windows logo screen and then reboots. :(

Reawing
11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
At least you can justify the upgrade to Windows 7 now if you were using VISTA. There's a silver lining to everything, right?

-Reawing

Androidpk
11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
XP, and if there's something hardware related I doubt trying to upgrade the desktop to win 7 would help.

Trouble
11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Try a rescue CD to get your shit off the HD then reformat.

Celephais
11-09-2009, 10:13 PM
If you're getting to the windows logo I wouldn't be overly worried about hardware related, as it means it's not a popped capacitor or anything. I'd guess a format and you'd be fine (maybe even just a re-install), my worse case guess would be you need a new HDD. Although I guess a dead fan/heat sensor could do this too.

Anyway, might be able to shock that bad boy back into the world of the living, don't give up just yet.

Androidpk
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
If it's not the hard drive would I be able to just install that in other pc and pull off the info that way?

Celephais
11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
If it's not the hard drive would I be able to just install that in other pc and pull off the info that way?
Even if it is the harddrive you might be able to do that... again since you're seeing the windows logo the drive is spinning up and spitting out data... there could just be some bad sectors in places that are very bad for a booting OS.

Androidpk
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Alrigh that's good to know. I can live without a desktop for now, I had planned on getting rid of it soon anyways. I do have a bunch of pictures of cameron though, from birth till recently. Would hate to lose them.

On a side note, I had been planning on building a gaming rig but I'm also kind of interested in the new 27" imac. I love the screen they use, it's beautiful.

Reawing
11-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Stormfront doesn't work on macs very well... :(

-Reawing

Androidpk
11-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Stormfront doesn't work on macs very well... :(

-Reawing

Most likely I would use bootcamp or whatever and run windows 7.

LMingrone
11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I had to do the same with one of my XP desktops the other day. Just yanked out the HDs, put them in another computer, transfered anything I needed, wiped em, and plugged em back into the original PC.

Reinstalling all the software is a pain.

Sean of the Thread
11-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I had to do the same with one of my XP desktops the other day. Just yanked out the HDs, put them in another computer, transfered anything I needed, wiped em, and plugged em back into the original PC.

Reinstalling all the software is a pain.

I swapped HDD's a bit ago and got fucked because of the windows genuine software bullshit.

Basically I put an xp pro HDD into a xp home computer to replace the broken one and obviously the serials don't match.

Well problem is I threw out the case with serial on the old one. Now I get pop ups and a shit load of inconvenience over it.

radamanthys
11-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Hit f8 on startup and see if you can stop the auto-reboot. You'll get an error code to look up.

Androidpk
11-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Did that, said something about disabling my antivirus.

radamanthys
11-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Did that, said something about disabling my antivirus.

Was it a bluescreen? There should be a 0x####### code. Like 0x0000007b, or somesuch.

Androidpk
11-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Small update. I've tried a couple different boot disks and still nothing. Since I was planning on getting a new computer soon anyways I guess now is the perfect time. I think I have all the components that I want picked out, going to order some time next week. Should be some good black friday deals floating around.