PDA

View Full Version : V: The Visitors

TheEschaton
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone catch the premiere last night?

I understand it is based on a sci-fi mini-series from before the Cold War ended, but HOLY RIGHT WING PHILOSOPHY BATMAN.

Allereli
11-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I enjoyed it, can't wait for next week

Suppa Hobbit Mage
11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I didn't catch it, but it was a great series in the 80's.

Parkbandit
11-04-2009, 03:27 PM

I understand it is based on a sci-fi mini-series from before the Cold War ended, but HOLY RIGHT WING PHILOSOPHY BATMAN.

:rofl:

I was thinking the same thing when I watched it last night.

V = O!!!!!1111oneoneoneone

TheEschaton
11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I mean, this was a line from the show, literally:

"Sometimes, compromising your personal principles for the common good is the right thing to do...." .....OH, BTW, WE'RE TERRORISTS!!!!!111one!!11one

Clove
11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Goddam darkies.

Clove
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM

"Sometimes, compromising your personal principles for the common good is the right thing to do...." .....OH, BTW, WE'RE TERRORISTS!!!!!111one!!11oneI find this particular criticism hilarious from an attorney.

Parkbandit
11-04-2009, 03:44 PM

"Sometimes, compromising your personal principles for the common good is the right thing to do...." .....OH, BTW, WE'RE TERRORISTS!!!!!111one!!11one

Except for the terrorist part.. isn't that the exact reasoning behind the universal healthcare and the Global "Warming" bull?

Paradii
11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
If it's your personal principle to pollute.....

Stop trolling, bitch

Khariz
11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I enjoyed the show enough to watch it at least a couple more times. We'll see.

Sean of the Thread
11-04-2009, 03:49 PM

That was the premiere last night? I saw it flipping channels and was like ... naaah I don't want to ruin what I missed already. Fuck.

And yes I remember watching it as a kid.

4a6c1
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Ana is one hot creepy alien.

I definately noticed the political undertones & did some rewinds on the Teevo to draw parallels and giggle about them.

CrystalTears
11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Ana is one hot creepy alien.Inara from Firefly/Serenity. She's hawt.

I'm always happy to see former Firefly actors in new stuff, especially new scifi stuff. :)

Latrinsorm
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I just caught the original a few nights ago on Syfy. It was pretty campy but there was a very dignified portrayal of a Holocaust survivor by Leonardo Cimino. I can only assume that the remake will be more about razzle-dazzle and heavy-handed commentary.

Androidpk
11-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I just caught the original a few nights ago on Syfy. It was pretty campy but there was a very dignified portrayal of a Holocaust survivor by Leonardo Cimino. I can only assume that the remake will be more about razzle-dazzle and heavy-handed commentary.

I remember watching this when it first aired on tv, great show.

Skeeter
11-04-2009, 10:30 PM
First episode was boring as hell. I will give it 2 more episodes and if it doesn't improve I quit.

It was great in the 80s but of course I was like 10 so what the hell do I know?

AestheticLife
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
They stuck way too closely to the 80s garbage writing... They could've overhauled the show and made it worth watching, but instead we have motherfucking lizard people hiding in human form, planning intricate acts of terrorism, all while their vastly superior technology apparently amounts to nothing more than some blinged out hatchets and no supermeganuke to blow the entire planet up with ease.

The writing sucks. The aliens suck. Scott Wolfe sucks. I would've only watched a second episode if they didn't unveil this backasswards alienzrterroristz bullshit so soon.

It's like Scientology, without the cool crap that lures you in BEFORE they hand you the stupidity.

crazymage
11-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I enjoyed it, I was pretty annoyed they skipped 3 weeks after the arrival though, seems like that may be the most tense moments. Maybe flashbacks will show it etc.

Trouble
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I missed the first run of the series 20 years ago but saw the pilot of this version. It was ok. Morena Baccarin's presence is enough to get me to watch at least one or two more episodes. The trick is that the next episodes won't be for a few weeks, right? I may lose interest by then. At least until I see a promo with her in it again maybe...

And yeah, it's great to see the Firefly folks get other work. They were a great bunch of people on a great show.

The reporter lead guy reminds me of a cross between Michael J Fox and the guy who played Apollo in BSG.

Clove
11-05-2009, 10:22 AM
I saw the first one (back when Marc Singer had a career) I thought it was pretty cool back then but I was like 13; everything was cool. That being said I think most Sci-Fi and Fantasy has a good deal of campy in it.

The remake isn't any exception but I don't really understand why people have a problem with the "terrorism" angle in the plot.

The aliens sent an advance team to lay the groundwork for their subtle invasion. During that time some of the aliens' advance team came over to our side and are now organizing a resistance with us (because an open war would just flat out end with the Visitors kicking our collective asses). This would be "terrorists" from the Visitors point of view and would look like "terrorist activity" to our law enforcement and intelligence community. I mean it's a secret organization. It's essentially the gist of what happened in the first plot too.

Androidpk
11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I think it's just because people tend to be close minded and when they see or hear the word terrorist they think Osama Bin Laden. During the Revolutionary War, the British considered the Patriots terrorists.

BigWorm
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I think it's just because people tend to be close minded and when they see or hear the word terrorist they think Osama Bin Laden. During the Revolutionary War, the British considered the Patriots terrorists.

Bet you never heard this before!

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Kind of like the difference between an insurrection and a revolution.

Clove
11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Well yeah, exactly. IIRC they tossed around the "Resistance" label more in the original version but terrorist, terrorism, terrorist cell are labels that are a bigger part of our culture today. They're "freedom fighters" when their on our side :D.

TheEschaton
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
PB, I don't deny that the "common good" is an idea echoed in left-leaning thought. However, when the common good is based on manipulation and lies, that isn't for the common good, it's just a mask for tyranny. My main objection is the portrayal of beings saying for the common good, when in fact, they're rampant individualists who want to destroy us.

But it's TV, so I don't really care.

Parkbandit
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
PB, I don't deny that the "common good" is an idea echoed in left-leaning thought. However, when the common good is based on manipulation and lies, that isn't for the common good, it's just a mask for tyranny. My main objection is the portrayal of beings saying for the common good, when in fact, they're rampant individualists who want to destroy us.

But it's TV, so I don't really care.

Thankfully, Obama/Reid/Pelosi are above the manipulation and lies, so we never have to worry about the tyranny.

Speaking of manipulation and lies from someone who uses the term "Common Good" constantly.. Al Gore is poised to be the first Billionaire from the "Green" movement.

Atlanteax
11-05-2009, 12:05 PM
What about the argument that it is for the "common good" when it comes to in forcing a badly-constructed "national health plan" on us?

I doubt there would be much angst about it if a NHC plan was genuinely possible without all the expensive inefficiencies of government bureaucracy and insurance obstruction ... which is unfortunately not realistically possible.

TheEschaton
11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
THankfully, Obama/Reid/Pelosi, aren't forming secret terrorist cells to incite an extermination of god-fearing priests and FBI agents. But people who only have a FoxNEWS view of philosophy will take a condemnation of the V's actions as a condemnation of Obama's actions, if they're really really stupid.

-TheE-

TheEschaton
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Atlanteax, the plan's poor structure is the result of political haranguing by the right. I guarantee you, you let us push through a health care plan that we'd want to put in place, it'd be much better and more efficient than what's currently on the table.

Parkbandit
11-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Atlanteax, the plan's poor structure is the result of political haranguing by the right. I guarantee you, you let us push through a health care plan that we'd want to put in place, it'd be much better and more efficient than what's currently on the table.

:rofl:

TheV has spoken!!

Atlanteax
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Speaking of manipulation and lies from someone who uses the term "Common Good" constantly.. Al Gore is poised to be the first Billionaire from the "Green" movement.

http://cagle.com/working/091104/ramirez.jpg

Clove
11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
So apparently the E isn't in touch with TV plots OR rational politics.

4a6c1
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
The V metaphor is too obscure. I prefer Borg.

You Will Be Assimilated.

Resistance is FUTILE.

Parkbandit
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
The V metaphor is too obscure. I prefer Borg.

You Will Be Assimilated.

Resistance is FUTILE.

http://www.black-and-right.com/wp-content/uploads/obama-borg1.jpg