PDA

View Full Version : Archery Gear

kookiegod
11-02-2009, 11:25 PM
This is the most definitive information on archery gear and other archery items that I've seen to date. Just a list, starting with high end items.

Banthis's Original Five Elemental Bows:
-----------------------------------------
After archery came out, an auction had 5 bows called "an elemental bow of XXXX" back in the day when the only flare types were fire, ice, acid, electricity, and impact. They are all 10x weapons basically. 5x bow, 5x arrow and permablessed and flare every hit.

Uska's Six New Style Elemental Bows:
------------------------------------------
Uska a couple years ago released a handful of bows at Anfelt and one at Ciston's auction to benefit the troops. I think the total is 6 of them. They are 0x weapons (which is really bad for DS for archers), and the enchant is based on level, with only rangers able to get past 5x. These are all permablessed. They all flare on every shot of the flare they are set with.

Loresong: The noise and light fades around you. Blinking your eyes you find yourself among an armed and armored group of Sylvankind, many sporting wounds and bandages. All around the sounds of heavy fighting filters in from among the trees. Screams and cries of things only dreamt of in nightmares can be heard coming from the edges of the encircled position the Sylvans hold. The leader of the band, an arrow protruding from the shoulder, gives an unheard command and her retainers begin stripping off the most powerful of their artifacts. Once shorn of the items they wrap them in cloth and place them in a chest. The chest is then lowered into a hole dug beneath a massive oak's roots and covered with loamy earth. The sole remaining cleric in the group blesses the ground to hide the cache from the unholy. The leader of the band gives a curt nod and the group with you among them draw their remaining weapons and charge one last time into the forest. Suddenly feeling a sharp pain, you see a feathered shaft has sprouted from your chest. With a final scream you collapse and everything around you goes black.

WaveDancer Style Elemental Bows:
--------------------------------
GM Khaladon made a slew of varying types for the WaveDancer, releasing 18 in total, 3 of each type.

The arrow making bows came in 3 types, flaring (all the flare types available at the time (much more than above), and the chance of flaring is greater than 10 percent), randomly damage weighted, and just arrows no special properties. All the arrows range from +1 to +30, and with the bows being +20, its a +21 to +50 weapon

Some were longbows, composites, and a handful of crossbows. These are all permablessed.

Other WaveDancer bows
----------------------
Chaos bows - Periodically it morphed into a new form that vary in enchant, sighting http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=13666

Racial bows - Nicely sighted for most (heavy), awesome for halflings and sylvans (exceptional)

Speed crossbows - 3 sec cock time, didn't pull you out of hiding. (3 exist still) http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=44686

Ebon Gate Poison Bows
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
GM Khaladon released 3 of these with the same properties as the WD bows, but they had random poison flares using the same poison effects as his poisoning shop on the WaveDancer. They are NOT permablessed as poison does not work on undead creatures.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=26519

Gauntlet bows (Spirit bows)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM Mestys made these incredible weapons. Wear the glove, activate it, and a hazy spirit bow springs to life. Unloseable.

Has a special attack which drains sprit and make the bow up to 20x, but spirit declines quickly, very quickly. They flare plasma, and are permablessed. Only 3 were created, short, long, and composite flavors.

Uses 20 mana to make a 5x bow with 0x ammo and 5 mana approximately every min. Has plasma flares and a chance to double flare on undead.

Can use Spirit form and starts draining your Spirit 1 spirit at the start and 1 spirit approximately every 20 seconds. In this from it ranges from a 1x to a 20x weapon. Still has the plasma flares but will always flare and always double flare on undead.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=21724

Dual Crossbows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM Stealth made these. Basically, a crossbow sandwich. Two crossbows strapped to each other, each need to be independently cocked, loaded, fired. Came at low enchants for the most part, not Premium Point enchantable (due to the non-recursive nature of the scroll system) but one merchant did work on them for points, and can be done via normal GM enchanters. Was about a dozen released.

Wand Bows
---------
Then SGM Sirina (now product manager of GS4) created a nifty off the shelf bow which can load wands into to provide elemental flares to the ammo based on the wand type. There is a chance for the missile to be consumed.

Her merchant could also 'unlock' various tiers to allow more than one wand 'type' to be used, up to I believe all elemental flares (auction level). These bows ARE enchantable unlike the others on this list.

Magical quivers
----------------
With the 2009 Ebon Gate auction, more than a few magical quivers now exist. These came in various formats over the years, and GM's Brauden, Altiron, Mestys, and now I think Kveta added to them.

Trueshot quiver - Creates 2 arrows per day, up to a max of 10 in the quiver. Single use, bypasses all evade/block/parry. At least 2 exist.

Duplicating quiver - endlessly duplicates whatever is put inside, bolt or arrow with all its properties. Only 1 exists.

Arrow/bolt generating quiver - Endlessly produces ammo of the type put in by the GM. Known ones are 4x blessed arrows, 4x blessed bolts, 4x random elemental flares, 4x random elemental bolts.

Mechanical quiver - Came in two flavors, temporary (after X amount of ammo it breaks, needs a special GM merchant to repair and permanent.) Basically, is a self fletching system, add your shafts, arrow heads, paints, fletchings, and it creates arrows for you. Addditionally, you can cast magics at it to add various elemental flares or bless the ammo.

Sighting
---------
Sighting is a natural mechanic that adds aiming ability (to hit the body part your aiming for, obviously.) GM Mestys recently updated loresinging to reflect it more accurately.

Sighted bows are available off the shelf (yew, +2 enchant). Other sighted weapons of higher power are usually raffle or auction only. At the CCF event of 2009, sighting was offered as a permanent service for the first time, previously was temporary.

Sephwir and Ipantor are the other naturally sighted bows, generally again, treasure system, raffles, auctions, merchants.

The 2009 Ebon Gate released several very high end exceptional and masterfully sighted bows.

Enhansive Bows
--------------
With the advent of the enhansive system, various bows/crossbows have been released with various properties. Some exceptional ones have been released with spells contained within.

Ones I am aware of are Sneaking (crossbow) and Mass Calm (2, longbow and composite).

Fletching
----------
One would be remiss about archery without talking about fletching. The amazing Aaron (GM Taelrand, no longer with Simutronics onsite), created the system to create your own arrows. Carve, paint, fletch, glue, razors. Various critters drop feathers that can be attached to add elemental flares.

GM Tilmont later fixed some bugs in the system, and updated the bundling mechanics and made it easier to add new items to the system as far as paints and the like.

Scripted fluff
--------------
GM Smite on the first (and last) Ilyan Cloud created a set of scripted 'fluff' bow tools. They were were orginally 5 of them, and that Khal guy added 2 more later on and updated some to work better. They were...

a bowman’s tuning key
a block of string rosin
a small honing stone
some fine wood oil
A fletcher’s feather razor

Added later on... (EG 2006)

a piece of gritty paper
a sharp fletching knife

Scribers
--------
Scribers were another invention by GM Khaladon. Basically it left your personal name, a predone mark, or a customized mark (via GM merchant) on an arrow.

They were recently redone with all new marks post Lirion.

Fletching razors
----------------
Added flares to arrows. Standard flares as well as disintergrate and void. Had limited amounts of charges (~100), perhaps merchant rechargable.

Specialty ammo
--------------
GM Elbrion released mechanical flaring arrows along with the aforementioned mechanical crossbows on the Wavedancer.

Some 2009 Sylvan festival also had arrowheads/caps of various flaring metals for fletching, seeing if I can find a list.

Madcap
11-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Posted this on the officials, but saving it hear for posterity...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Banthis's Original Five Elemental Bows:
After archery came out, an auction had 5 bows called "an elemental bow of XXXX" back in the day when the only flare types were fire, ice, acid, electricity, and impact. They are all 10x weapons basically. 5x bow, 5x arrow and permablessed and flare every hit.

Uska's Six New Style Elemental Bows:
Uska a couple years ago released a handful of bows at Anfelt and one at Ciston's auction to benefit the troops. I think the total is 6 of them. They are 0x weapons (which is really bad for DS for archers), and the enchant is based on ranger ranks, with only rangers able to get past 5x. These are all permablessed. They all flare on every shot of the flare they are set with.

Loresong: The noise and light fades around you. Blinking your eyes you find yourself among an armed and armored group of Sylvankind, many sporting wounds and bandages. All around the sounds of heavy fighting filters in from among the trees. Screams and cries of things only dreamt of in nightmares can be heard coming from the edges of the encircled position the Sylvans hold. The leader of the band, an arrow protruding from the shoulder, gives an unheard command and her retainers begin stripping off the most powerful of their artifacts. Once shorn of the items they wrap them in cloth and place them in a chest. The chest is then lowered into a hole dug beneath a massive oak's roots and covered with loamy earth. The sole remaining cleric in the group blesses the ground to hide the cache from the unholy. The leader of the band gives a curt nod and the group with you among them draw their remaining weapons and charge one last time into the forest. Suddenly feeling a sharp pain, you see a feathered shaft has sprouted from your chest. With a final scream you collapse and everything around you goes black.

WaveDancer Style Elemental Bows:
Another GM (Khal-something...merchant Lirion) made a slew of varying types for the WaveDancer, releasing 18 in total, 3 of each type.

The arrow making bows came in 3 types, flaring (all the flare types available at the time (much more than above), and the chance of flaring is greater than 10 percent), randomly damage weighted,

and just arrows no special properties. All the arrows range from +1 to +30, and with the bows being +20, its a +21 to +50 weapon

Some were longbows, composites, and a handful of crossbows. These are all permablessed.

Other WaveDancer bows
Chaos bows - Periodically it morphed into a new form that variee in enchant, sighting

Racial bows - Nicely sighted for most (heavy), awesome for halflings and sylvans (exceptional)

Speed crossbows - 3 sec cock time, didn't pull you out of hiding. (only 2 exist still)

Elbrion's blade crossbows
GM Elbrion on I think the WaveDancer also created springloaded blade flares and ammo, and released 2 self-arrow blade crossbows with the blade flares. They are not permablessed.

Ebon Gate Poison Bows
Lirion released 3 of these with the same properties as the WD bows, but they had random poison flares using the same poison effects as his poisoning shop on the WaveDancer. They are NOT permablessed as poison does not work on undead creatures.

Wand Bows
Then SGM Sirina (now product manager of GS4) created a nifty off the shelf bow which can load wands into to provide elemental flares to the ammo based on the wand type. There is a chance for the missile to be consumed.

Her merchant could also 'unlock' various tiers to allow more than one wand 'type' to be used, up to I believe all elemental flares (auction level). These bows ARE enchantable unlike the others on this list.

Magical quivers
With the 2009 Ebon Gate auction, more than a few magical quivers now exist. These came in various formats over the years, and GM's Brauden, Altiron, Mestys, and now I think Kveta added to them.

Trueshot quiver - Creates 2 arrows per day, up to a max of 10 in the quiver. Single use, bypasses all evade/block/parry. At least 2 exist.

Duplicating quiver - endlessly duplicates whatever is put inside, bolt or arrow with all its properties. Only 1 exists.

Arrow/bolt generating quiver - Endlessly produces ammo of the type put in by the GM. Known ones are 4x blessed arrows, 4x blessed bolts, 4x random elemental flares, 4x random elemental bolts.

Mechanical quiver - Came in two flavors, temporary (after X amount of ammo it breaks, needs a special GM merchant to repair and permanent.) Basically, is a self fletching system, add your shafts, arrow heads, paints, fletchings, and it creates arrows for you. Addditionally, you can cast magics at it to add various elemental flares or bless the ammo.

Sighting
Sighting is a natural mechanic that adds aiming ability (to hit the body part your aiming for, obviously.) GM Mestys recently updated loresinging to reflect it more accurately. sighted bows are available off the shelf (yew, +2 enchant). Other sighted weapons of higher power are usually raffle or auction only. At the CCF event of 2009, sighting was offered as a permanent service for the first time, previously was temporary.

Sephwir and Ipantor are the other naturally sighted bows, generally again, treasure system, raffles, auctions, merchants.

The 2009 Ebon Gate released several very high end exceptional and masterfully sighted bows.

Enhansive Bows
With the advent of the enhansive system, various bows/crossbows have been released with various properties. Some exceptional ones have been released with spells contained within.

Ones I am aware of are Sneaking (crossbow) and Mass Calm (2, longbow and composite).

Fletching
One would be remiss about archery without talking about fletching. The amazing Aaron (GM Taelrand, no longer with Simutronics onsite), created the system to create your own arrows. Carve, paint, fletch, glue, razors. Various critters drop feathers that can be attached to add elemental flares.

GM Tilmont later fixed some bugs in the system, and updated the bundling mechanics and made it easier to add new items to the system as far as paints and the like.

Scripted fluff
GM Smite on the first (and last) Ilyan Cloud created a set of scripted 'fluff' bow tools. They were were orginally 5 of them, and that Lirion guy added 2 more later on and updated some to work better. They were...

a bowmans tuning key
a block of string rosin
a small honing stone
some fine wood oil
A fletchers feather razor

Added later on... (EG 2006)

a piece of gritty paper
a sharp fletching knife

Scribers
Scribers were another invention by Lirion and his puppet master. Basically it left your personal name, a predone mark, or a customized mark (via GM merchant) on an arrow.

They were recently redone with all new marks post Lirion.

Various fluff scripts
Is a bunch of fluff scripts for bow actions, including Khal's (Lirion's, several types) and Zyllah's.

Ammo etc.
Various merchants sell scripted/flaring/weighted ammo, specialty paints, fletchings, and arrowheads/caps. Consult nilandia.com for possible stuff that may be available from other players/playershops.

Are you forgetting the spirit bows/gauntlet thingies?

kookiegod
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Yep! Editing!

~Paul

Madcap
11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
heh.. what would you do without me Paul! ;) .. probably be 100x more awesome than you already are.. lol

kookiegod
11-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Added dual crossbows too! :)

~Paul

Celephais
11-03-2009, 12:15 AM
The weak allusions to yourself are facepalmingly distracting.

Also, Enhancive... not enhansive.

Other than that very informative and good to have down somewhere. You should post it on krakii.

kookiegod
11-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Fixed the typos, the other is a running joke.

I'll ask Naos to post it over there for me.

~Paul

AKOE!
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I recently got the fletching quiver from the auction and need a bit of insight. How many different spells do you think this thing can take?

These are the spells I've found to work so far. I put them in ranger rods.

major fire/fire spirit
major acid
major cold
hand of tonis
hurl boulder
symbol of blessing/holiness (cleric bless too of course)

any ideas on what else might work?

oh and I got this flare too but I'm not sure what it would be called

** As your villswood arrow hits a massive troll king, it emits a pulse of pure force!

Euler
11-05-2009, 08:41 PM
that is my orgasm flare.

AKOE!
11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
hehe, thanks for the info ;)

kookiegod
11-06-2009, 12:31 AM
I recently got the fletching quiver from the auction and need a bit of insight. How many different spells do you think this thing can take?

any ideas on what else might work?

Normal - ice, cold , fire, impact (earth), acid, bless

Abby Normal - Try implosion (void), disintergrate, 702 (disruption flare), unbalance.

~Paul

Celephais
11-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Yikes, doesn't it "take" the spell by you casting at it? I'd be really scared to void or disintegrate that quiver... but it should be fine, just scary the first time around.

AKOE!
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
actually I tried disintegrate along with all the other sorcerer wands but none of them work...as long as you're wearing it you're alright. Just don't do it while holding it in your hand. I still need to try implosion. i've managed to get hand of tonis and hurl boulder in a ranger wand and it works fine. I also had to put acid in a ranger rod because the crystal wands don't work for some reason. Glass wands don't work either.

Asha
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh my lord implosion wands.

BigWorm
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
actually I tried disintegrate along with all the other sorcerer wands but none of them work...as long as you're wearing it you're alright. Just don't do it while holding it in your hand. I still need to try implosion. i've managed to get hand of tonis and hurl boulder in a ranger wand and it works fine. I also had to put acid in a ranger rod because the crystal wands don't work for some reason. Glass wands don't work either.

Aren't crystal wands major acid and 904 is minor acid? It really should work with both though I'd think.

AKOE!
11-06-2009, 01:06 PM
okay, implosion works but I guess it will always have to be cast by the sorcerer unless there's a way to get an implosion item. Still not sure on the disintegrate.

You nock a spiraled villswood-shafted arrow in your sephwir recurve longbow.
A subtle wispy white light glints off the tip of a spiraled villswood-shafted arrow, leaving a faint trail as it travels through the air.

** As you hit, the edge of your villswood arrow seems to fold inward upon itself drawing everything it touches along with it! **

BigWorm
11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
okay, implosion works but I guess it will always have to be cast by the sorcerer unless there's a way to get an implosion item. Still not sure on the disintegrate.

A subtle wispy white light glints off the tip of a spiraled villswood-shafted arrow, leaving a faint trail as it travels through the air.

** As you hit, the edge of your villswood arrow seems to fold inward upon itself drawing everything it touches along with it! **

You can't make implosion wands anymore? I thought it was still possible but mostly ineffective for combat use.

Celephais
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
... no, don't just post the flare... please post the context... how well did it work? Is it like you're casting it?

That is badass.

AKOE!
11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
oh sorry, here's the whole thing :)

You fire a spiraled villswood arrow at a massive troll king!
AS: +347 vs DS: +162 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +5 = +213
... and hit for 57 points of damage!
Strike pierces calf!
A massive troll king screams and falls to the ground grasping at its mangled left leg!

... 25 points of damage!
Back snaps as ribs and vertebrae separate!
The villswood arrow sticks in a massive troll king's left leg!
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Celephais
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh okay, so they're just "flare" strength, not as if you had casted the spell (Like that weapon that actually casts spells)

AKOE!
11-06-2009, 01:55 PM
oh no, nothing like that. The quiver basically stores the spell and transfers the flares to the arrows as I use them. I still need to try a few more spells but so far it looks like I can use every flare out there except unbalance still gotta try disintegrate

Celephais
11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
oh no, nothing like that. The quiver basically stores the spell and transfers the flares to the arrows as I use them. I still need to try a few more spells but so far it looks like I can use every flare out there except unbalance still gotta try disintegrate
I thought you said you got hand of tonis to work? HoT is unbalance...

AKOE!
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
oooh, well I got it to accept HoT but I never actually used it. I just thought it would be wind flares or something. So I guess unbalance works too. :)

ober758181
11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
If you cast e-blade at it, does it accept the AS bonus and the flares?

AKOE!
11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
hmm, I've never tried that but I don't think it will work

kookiegod
01-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Edited with links (thanks to AesteticDeath who posted a bunch) and some ommisions.

SayGoodbye
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I dunno if you care to put them in but at some event, I think the sylvan one where the fletching razors came from, there were flaring arrowheads. Rhimar, drakar and the like.

kookiegod
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I dunno if you care to put them in but at some event, I think the sylvan one where the fletching razors came from, there were flaring arrowheads. Rhimar, drakar and the like.

Ahh, cool, yah, I'll add them in.

Thanks!

~Paul

SayGoodbye
01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
a drakar spiraled cap

a rhimar barb-tipped cap

a zorchar step-cut cap

a drakar tri-bladed arrowhead

a rhimar four-bladed arrowhead

a zorchar jagged arrowhead

March 2009, Lassaran encampment.

Thanks Nilandia.

AKOE!
01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
that was a really cool encampment. I hope they return.

waywardgs
01-08-2010, 09:11 AM
that was a really cool encampment. I hope they return.

Was that the one they auctioned that enhancive sephwir longbow at? Bonus to stalking/hiding and ambush, if I recall... Belnia won it?

AKOE!
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Was that the one they auctioned that enhancive sephwir longbow at? Bonus to stalking/hiding and ambush, if I recall... Belnia won it?

Yep. There were so few people there to bid she got it for like 16 million or something. Really nice bow

Sharnath
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I was there bidding on the longbow. I think it went for more that 16 million though. That was a nice event for archers though.

Sharnath
Weed Mage

AKOE!
01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I really enjoyed the storytelling part too. Bring back the Lassaran encampment!

kookiegod
12-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Bump, just cause search is borked

kookiegod
12-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Updated the list as Lucos found a speed crossbow in an EG digging box, bringing the number in existence to 3.

~Paul

AKOE!
12-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Okay, I'm totally showing off here :D

You nock a spiraled faewood-shafted arrow in your sephwir recurve longbow.
A subtle wispy white light glints off the tip of a spiraled faewood-shafted arrow, leaving a faint trail as it travels through the air.
You fire a spiraled faewood arrow at a halfling rogue!
AS: +403 vs DS: +193 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +3 = +251
... and hit for 36 points of damage!
Slash across right eye!
Hope the left is working.

** As you hit, the edge of your faewood arrow seems to fold inward upon itself drawing everything it touches along with it! **
... 30 points of damage!
Massive decompression causes head to erupt in an explosion of brain and bone! Messy!

[You have 8 kills remaining.]
The halfling rogue falls to the ground and dies.
The faewood arrow is deflected to one side, sailing to the ground.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Whirlin
08-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Hardly the caliber of the other items here... but I'm really unsure of the number of altered scribers created over the years.

Back when scribers were released by Lirion in Ebon's Gate (I believe 2002) I believe I was the only person at that merchant to have a unique scriber made. Lirion was doing alters to bows/crossbows/scribers, but everyone else that managed to get on the list had a bow altered. Me, I managed to get on the list twice, had a bow and scriber altered. Win...

Anyway, if anyone cares, the description is:

a sharp veniom-tipped scriber

Etched into the point of your scriber is a complex pattern of long, weaving scripts of arcane runes.

Scribed into the shaft is a complex pattern of long, weaving scripts of arcane runes.

kookiegod
08-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice win! :)

Ayamei
08-20-2011, 12:31 PM
what about speed crossbows? and besides griffins, what other critters drop feathers that can be used for flares?

Akoe, how did you get those flares on your arrows?

kookiegod
08-20-2011, 01:04 PM
what about speed crossbows? and besides griffins, what other critters drop feathers that can be used for flares?

Akoe, how did you get those flares on your arrows?

Akoe has one of the perm awesome quivers where it makes arrows for her with whatever flare she wants.

What about speed crossbows? I know a few things about them.

And nothing, storm griffins the only one.