PDA

View Full Version : Back pain :(

Artha
03-09-2004, 08:35 PM
So I think I did something to my back playing badminton in gym today, because it hurts really, really bad. Like...hard to walk, fear getting up hurts. The lower left, if that makes any difference. I took some advil and put a heating pad on it when I got home, but it's still horribly painful.

So, I was thinking: "Hey, PC has old people" and then I was like "Old people have back pains!!" and then I was all like "I should ask the old people on the PC what they do about their back pains!" And my back was all like "*PAIN*".

Bobmuhthol
03-09-2004, 08:37 PM
<<So I think I did something to my back playing badminton in gym today>>

what

the

fuck

Artha
03-09-2004, 08:37 PM
badminton > all.

I was playing, and my back started hurting. Don't ask me.

peam
03-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Get this stuff called "Tiger Balm." It'll set you on fire for about a half hour, but after that, it's easy sailing.

HarmNone
03-09-2004, 08:42 PM
You may have pulled a muscle, hon. Try one of the rub-on ointments for muscle pain and see if it helps. If it doesn't, and the pain continues, or worsens, you may need to see a doctor to find out what might be wrong. :(

HarmNone is sorry you are hurt

Ravenstorm
03-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Alternate ice and moist heat. And I've found aspirin is most effective for muscle pain. Your mileage may vary.

Raven

Snapp
03-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I used these Thermacare heat patches when I hurt my back a month or so ago. They worked wonders.. they're disposable heat pads that wrap around your back and last about 8 hours. Greatest thing invented! I've never tried any of the rubs (Tiger Balm, Icyhot, etc..), but hear good things about them, being as I work in a drug store and all.

Wezas
03-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
I used these Thermacare heat patches when I hurt my back a month or so ago. They worked wonders.. they're disposable heat pads that wrap around your back and last about 8 hours. Greatest thing invented! I've never tried any of the rubs (Tiger Balm, Icyhot, etc..), but hear good things about them, being as I work in a drug store and all.

<refrains from any sore butt jokes>

bah, too late.

TheEschaton
03-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Back pain is a problem not only for old people. I slipped a disk when I was 16 (working as an off the books dishwasher, slipped it trying to pick up a 100 pound bag of potatoes the wrong way).

I recommend a good chiropractor, a firm bed, and sit ups. The stronger your abdomen muscles are, the less strain your back is under.

-TheE-

03-10-2004, 12:26 AM
I suggest you stop being a pussy and play raquet ball

Caiylania
03-10-2004, 01:06 AM
That sucks, Artha :/ Hopes it gets better.

Miss X
03-10-2004, 09:23 AM
How's the back today Artha? Hopefully you got some sleep and it eased up a bit. :)

Galleazzo
03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Damn, Peam beat me down. Tiger Balm is the shiznit.

Betheny
03-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Why don't you get one of your Japanese ho's to give you a back rub?

In regard to old people, Tayvin knows all about them.

Artha
03-10-2004, 11:36 AM
How's the back today Artha? Hopefully you got some sleep and it eased up a bit.

Well, I woke up and moved my legs and it hurt, and so I was like "Man, I don't want to go to school today." so I stayed home, and the back's doing better. That might just be because of the 2 advils I took and the heating pad that's been on it all day.

longshot
03-10-2004, 11:48 AM
It's gotta be your man-boobs straining your torso...

I'm just kidding. Artha, I think you're a cool cat. So, please listen. if you feel that much discomfort, see a doctor.

At this point, it sounds like more than a simple muscle strain if your legs are hurting. Back pain is something that should not be taken lightly.

Artha
03-10-2004, 11:49 AM
No, it wasn't my legs, it was lifting them up that hurt some.

PS: No more man boobs, so there.

longshot
03-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Artha
No, it wasn't my legs, it was lifting them up that hurt some.

PS: No more man boobs, so there.

I would understand some muscle strain if you never played badmitten before, but from the sounds of it, it's something you've done on a regular basis, which is why I think you might want to see a doctor.

By the way, congrats on beating the man boobs.

Artha>Sean

If you are missing school because of pain, see a doctor.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about medicine, because I know nothing. But, if you are unable to partake in your normal routine, then I htink professional help would be a good thing.

I really do hpe you feel ibetter.

Artha
03-10-2004, 11:57 AM
I would understand some muscle strain if you never played badmitten before, but from the sounds of it, it's something you've done on a regular basis, which is why I think you might want to see a doctor.

Nah, I haven't done it in a year or so. Amazingly, no school anywhere has a badmitton team (ours doesn't even have football, so I doubt we'll ever get badmitton).

If you are missing school because of pain, see a doctor.

I'm missing school because I'm a lazy, lazy bastard with a warped work ethic and a good excuse :)

Wezas
03-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by longshot
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about medicine, because I know nothing.

Longshot is what we call a "Street Pharmacist"

Atlanteax
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by The Edine

Agreed.

I'd be embarrassed if I hurt my back playing badmitton.

It sounds like you're out of shape.

Get some Exercise, and be sure to Stretch before playing (REAL) Sports.

Bobmuhthol
03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
I suggest you stop being a pussy and play baseball, football, hockey, or any other non-pussy sport. Take up running and boxing while you're at it.

longshot
03-10-2004, 12:08 PM
The lazy bastard thing changes it a little bit...

I mean, I was a lazy bastard in highschool too.

I was voted most likely to be late for schho.

But if I came out and was like, "I took AP biology six years ago in high schoo, and nothing medically related since then, but you really need to do A, B, and then C two times." you should laugh at me and tell me I'm a giant piece of garbage.

So, seeing that Artha is one of my favorite posters and I would hate to see something bad happen to him, I hope he goes and sees a doctor.

Doctors also add legitimacy to absences...

Betheny
03-10-2004, 12:21 PM
For some reason I thought longshot started this thread.

But, Artha, naproxen sodium (Aleve) is far superior for musculoskeletal pain than ibuprofen or acetametophin. It lasts longer, too.

I'd also suggest using icy hot, those patches work really, really well. Don't stretch it, don't do ANYTHING. If you feel any numbness or tingling, go to the doctor, it could be a slipped disc, and those are bad.

If it only tends to hurt when you move, I would think it's probably some kind of a muscular thing.

At any rate, back injuries are not something you want to mess around with. Go see a doctor. It's not a pussy thing to do -- if you let it go for a long time, and there's something seriously wrong, it could change from an easy fix to a chronic problem, and back problems are an absolute bitch to deal with.

Edited to add: Use cold, not heat. Heat will relax sore muscles, but it'll also promote stiffness if there's bruising or traumatic injury. Cold will cause blood vessels to contract and minimize bruising/swelling (internally and externally). Also, cold numbs nerve endings and tends to relieve pain a lot better.

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by Maimara]

longshot
03-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Atlanteax

Originally posted by The Edine

Agreed.

I'd be embarrassed if I hurt my back playing badmitton.

It sounds like you're out of shape.

Get some Exercise, and be sure to Stretch before playing (REAL) Sports.

Just because badmitton is not popular in the US does not mean it's a real sport.

I've seen some pretty big Japanese dudes work out at badmitton.

Just because it doesn't meet your preconceived notion of a man's man's sport doesn't mean that it doesn't require a great deal of fitness.

I don't know if Artha is out of shape or not though.

Anyways, see a doctor. Get a note. Take a week off. That's what I would do.

Artha
03-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Badmitton is like tennis, but much cooler. If your opponent knows what they're doing, it can be a really good work out.

I'll probably talk to my dad about a doctor trip if it's not feeling better tomorrow.

TheEschaton
03-10-2004, 04:15 PM
I was voted most likely to be late for schho.

I was voted most likely to be seen lighting up outside of school, and I'm not talking about cigarettes.

-TheE-

Xcalibur
03-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Badminton is mostly played by:

1) guy that are less than 5'6 and 120 pounds

2) girls

3) Gays

At least it's that here.

True guys play violent sports and break their bones the Male way.:lol:

Artha
03-10-2004, 04:33 PM

6'0, 190ish.

2) girls

Total guy.

3) Gays

<---Straighter than a ruler.

Xcalibur
03-10-2004, 04:39 PM
There's a saying in french that goes like this:

L'exception qui confirme la règle, would goes like: you're the exception that confirms the law.

I played badminton, did some tournement and all. I stopped after I broke my "raquette" because I was angry.

There was REALLY nice looking IN SHAPE girls too!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Bobmuhthol
03-10-2004, 04:41 PM
<<1) guy that are less than 5'6 and 120 pounds>>

Thank God, I just made the cutoff.

peam
03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
http://www.pacwestserv.com/3507_tiger_balm_analgesic_balm.JPG

Don't listen to anyone else. Get the red kind.

Ravenstorm
03-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
Badminton is mostly played by:

2) girls

3) Gays

At least it's that here.

Around here it's mostly guys from Quebec. We just let them do what they want and make fun of their accents behind their backs.

Raven

Latrinsorm
03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
I suggest you stop being a pussy and play baseball, football, hockey, or any other non-pussy sport. Take up running and boxing while you're at it. Bob = awesome. Why? No basketball. And let's not kid ourselves, basketball is a big-time pussy sport.

I'd be careful about doing just sit-ups, because isn't it bad to have one set of muscles wicked stronger than its complement? That's what my XC coach always said (at times in really odd situations), but he was a douchebag.

Drew2
03-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Football > Basketball > Baseball > Hockey.

The end.

Latrinsorm
03-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
Football > Basketball > Baseball > Hockey.

The end. Baseball > Football > Hockey > Soccer > Slamball > Lacrosse > Badminton > Golf > Croquet > Scrabble > Watching women get tortured > Basketball.

The end, part deux.

TheEschaton
03-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Of the big four:

Football>Hockey>>>>>Baseball=Basketball.

-TheE-

03-10-2004, 11:57 PM
soccer > all