PDA

View Full Version : Google Wave

Kuyuk
10-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Dont know if anyone else has been looking into this, but it should be good.

Anyway, here's a fun video of it (kinda spoofy)

http://www.break.com/index/google-wave-meets-pulp-fiction.html

TheEschaton
10-26-2009, 11:56 PM
So, what, it's AIM with lots of imbedded video and google search in it?

Kuyuk
10-27-2009, 12:00 AM
pretty much

There's an hour and a half video on it, but I watched about four minutes before I was like "AN HOUR AND A HALF?! WTF" and closed it.

I'll watch it in the next few days when I get bored.

4a6c1
10-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Will not do google wave. I am so addicted to my Customized iGoogle. I'm pretty sure I cant live without it. The themes are awesome and you can arrange it to look like what you want.

I have a weather channel box, a doppler radar box and a mapquest box. One whole column is just quotes - one is literary, one for buddha and one for Einstein. They change daily. I also have the moon phase box. BEST OF ALL - I have headlines for 7 different news sources in the middle column. NewsScientist, DiscoveryNews, Houson Chronicle, EurekAlert, ScubaNews, NPR and then Fox.

Have I mentioned how I cant live without my iGoogle?

So basically the sky would fall if I switched.

:-X

Kuyuk
10-27-2009, 12:08 AM
...you can still use it methinks, google wave is just a chat thinger.

amirite? or amiwrong?

4a6c1
10-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Will not try. Sky will fall.

peam
10-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Would appreciate an invite, if there's one floating around. PM me for my email.

CrystalTears
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Will not do google wave. I am so addicted to my Customized iGoogle. I'm pretty sure I cant live without it. The themes are awesome and you can arrange it to look like what you want.
So basically the sky would fall if I switched.

They have nothing to do with each other, aside from both being offered by Google. You can have both. I do. :)

Google Wave is more for collaborative work and more interactive chat rooms. I wouldn't use it strictly for speaking to one person, but it's still a neat concept.

Durgrimst
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
If anyone has one, I would like an invite as well. PM me or IM me for my email.

Kranar
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
So, what, it's AIM with lots of imbedded video and google search in it?

Some of the best ideas are usually the simplest.

Consider Amazon's 1-Click in which people thought it was outrageous that Amazon could patent such a basic idea. Of course, no one else had ever come up with this simple idea and even Amazon had a lot of difficulty implementing it (the first design had 4 clicks, then went down to 2 clicks before finally becoming 1-Click). I mean the challenge had always been "But how do we get the user to confirm their purchase? What if they accidentally click? We need two clicks damn it!" But by changing ones perspective it turned out it was possible to design 1-Click purchasing and overcome all of the problems.

Google Wave is a way of making web pages as fully interactive as typical desktop applications but also collaborative. Right now web pages kind of allow interaction but for the most part it's not as smooth as a desktop app, the Wave's purpose is to make the web browser the primary application front-end and to allow programmers to create web applications that are used by arbitrarily many people simultaneously rather than just by a single user.

Once again, if it's sooooo simple, create it yourself. Microsoft has been trying to implement something elegant like this for close to a decade now and continues to fail miserably.

Simple things, it turns out, are very hard to come up with and implement.

Farn
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I'd like to try it out as well.

TheEschaton
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Aren't you just touting company line, Kranar? :P

Kranar
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I worked at both Microsoft and Google in the past. :smug:

Which company line do you think I'm touting?

Ashliana
10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I've been hoping for a Google Wave invite for ages. One of my casual friends got one, but hasn't spread the love yet. /grumble

CrystalTears
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I've been hoping for a Google Wave invite for ages. One of my casual friends got one, but hasn't spread the love yet. /grumble
Did he get one from someone else or from Google? Because those getting an invite from someone else do not get a set of invites to send out. At least not yet. :(

Ashliana
10-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Did he get one from someone else or from Google? Because those getting an invite from someone else do not get a set of invites to send out. At least not yet. :(

Oh? Weird. I'll ask him. I sent him an IM saying "/shameless plug for a Google Wave invite. What's up?" (and he didn't respond to the Wave part. t.t)

Nieninque
12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Does anyone still wish for invites (well actually they are nominations, but pretty much the same thing)?

Misun
12-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I have a crazy amount of invites/nominations to give out. PM me if you want one.

BigWorm
12-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Same here, let me know if you need one.

Also, anyone already on there have recommendations for Waves? I haven't really found anything exciting yet.

CrystalTears
12-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Same here, let me know if you need one.

Also, anyone already on there have recommendations for Waves? I haven't really found anything exciting yet.
What do you mean by recommendations for waves? That's like asking for recommendations for IMs.

Androidpk
12-09-2009, 09:49 AM

I got an invite from TheE and got 8 invites.

CrystalTears
12-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Google eventually gives them to you, but they weren't right away. Maybe they've sped up the process.