PDA

View Full Version : Respect for the helpful

AnticorRifling
07-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Do any of your characters have heros that they look up to in the game? Out of my 4 characters that I have currently 2 of them have hero/role models in the game. I know it sounds stupid but it is what it is.

My rogue looks up to Boomsplat for a few reasons. He was the one that first showed me how to pick, he was the one that invited me into the guild and then took the time to explain alot of the guild workings, and he answered, with patience, several of the stupid questions I know I asked as a rogue starting out. I don't follow him around, praise him, hang on his every word or action I just have respect for what he did for that character.

For Anticor there are a few more, some of whom don't play anymore but without them I wouldn't have been able to get past large ogres because I didn't know anything when it came to GS. Mamuluke, Kogline, Malok, Kranar they all helped me out with alot of stupid wizard and giantman questions that I had starting out. I know a few of them aren't played by the same person anymore but I still have that respect for what they showed me.

Anyone else have examples of people helping you out or basically making your GS experience alittle better?

Ilvane
07-23-2003, 02:33 PM
I had two people who steered me in the right direction in GS as mentors.

When I was brand new, my bard was mentored by Celtic, who was a great mentor to me, and sent me in the right direction.

Another person, who was a good friend to Ilvane, and also was a mentor to me into my roleplaying was Truekillr.

Also my friend who played Valentrus really helped me to develop my roleplaying skills. And of course Arimantis' player.

-A

Warriorbird
07-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Hmm. Ktank, Changchuan, Morgiest, Perigourd, Plur (don't ask), Bevan, Delyorik, Celtar, Murgin, and a few others for my warrior.

Chyrain
07-23-2003, 03:49 PM
um..as far as helping me out the most, I'd say Ganalon.

He really taught me everything I know. And whatever differences our characters might have now, he's still the one my girls look up to the most.

Edaarin
07-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Hmm. Sylvine, because he was the first old character I ever saw, was always in a little awe of him.

Mooarf, for showing my warrior the ropes, and getting my warrior invited to the Guild at 6 trains, heh.

Simmer, for not selling out. But that's more of an OOC thing.

Sweets
07-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Ansherak. I am not sure if he still plays. When I first started off as a little sorc gal, I had no trouble figuring out magic, shields and weapons. It was the armor I had trouble with. I didn't wear any. Well after many a rescue, Ansherak took my char under his wing and showed me the ropes. He was the only male character that was helpful and didn't expect a "little" for their trouble.

I wish I hadn't rerolled that sorc gal. For a first try she rocked.

Kriztian
07-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Wanton.

07-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Klaive. Without him, I wouldn't be who I am today.

longshot
07-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

For Anticor there are a few more, some of whom don't play anymore but without them I wouldn't have been able to get past large ogres because I didn't know anything when it came to GS.

Don't forget your dad!:D

Gokkem
07-24-2003, 02:20 AM
I looked up to Boomsplat, Fisdan and that crazy Sheru worshipper Setzier. I looked up to all of them for their rp skills, they are all great to watch.

I remember the time Setzier came to sheru to help someone retrieve a 10x sword. God he was so pissed, having to kill his brothers but he retrieved and returned the sword to the owner. He chewed the guy out for a while, lots of dirty looks. Told him next time his brothers get to keep the sword. Even though he didn't know me, I always admired him since then. He not only helped retrieve an expensive weapon when no one else could, but he firmly stayed in character while doing so.

Fisdan I never knew personally, but just from watching him I loved his rp style. He was a blast to watch.

Boomsplat? Well, not much needs to be said about him. The guy is hilarious and I love his gig.

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2003, 02:23 AM
Boomsplat isn't hilarious if you kill him. He warns interaction after publicly saying he's going to kill you, and even whispers it to you.

Scott
07-24-2003, 02:27 AM
It would take me like 10 minutes to say one sentence in "boomsplat talk." Sometimes I wonder how he does it.

Dighn Darkbeam
07-24-2003, 07:25 AM
High Lord Starsnuffer, Lord Gahread, and Wyseth.

I find it would take far too long to name why these people and their characters have helped me learn to properly play this game.

Kris na Su'ta

Trinitis
07-24-2003, 12:56 PM
To me, the most helpful in learning the game was all bound up into one person. Lord Elminstir. :bounce:

-Adredrin

Captain Amby
07-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Ehh People I look/looked up to:

The Kobold Archmage (Pattie)
Shaddox (deleted character)
Malok (deleted character)
Sinji (Amby)
Kiera (great RP'r and just a great person all around) (Sindani)
Kjata (Sin)
Zalion
Arasha. (for being my child in game, over hrrm 6 years now. He taught me a lot about family and loyalty)

Okay! I think that's it.. for now!

CrystalTears
07-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Shaddox. OMG haven't heard that name in years. That was a little sexual piggie. :D

My rogue admired and looked up to Baser. He was her father for quite a bit and things kinda took a turn for the worst and I always regret going our separate ways. But I still think he was a great rogue.

09-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Ego prevents many from having role-models.

Adhara
09-03-2003, 10:41 PM
I thought I saw Malok less than a month ago in Illistim.

Scott
09-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Adhara

He's bought though..... Not deleted but still not the original.

09-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Gemstone101

Originally posted by Adhara

He's bought though..... Not deleted but still not the original.

Yeah, that's a shame.

Khaitiff
09-04-2003, 09:16 PM
There are way to many for me to remember who helped me through the younger years Some are gone, some are sold and some will neve be but I thank them all.

09-05-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Khaitiff
There are way to many for me to remember who helped me through the younger years Some are gone, some are sold and some will neve be but I thank them all.

Wow, I wish I had met nice people like that when I was young. LoL. All the old people refused to help me... so I had to learn on my own.

Khaitiff
09-05-2003, 07:40 PM
It was rather wonderful, my first set of 4x armor, weapon, shield was all bought for me, I was blessed with a full array of spells and they always would take me hunting or nudge me in the right direction when I tried to hunt by myself. I dont think I would have survived the first 10 trains without them.

09-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Khaitiff
It was rather wonderful, my first set of 4x armor, weapon, shield was all bought for me, I was blessed with a full array of spells and they always would take me hunting or nudge me in the right direction when I tried to hunt by myself. I dont think I would have survived the first 10 trains without them.

If I had been helped like that when I first got here, who knows what I'd be like today? I might just be a model GSer! ;)

CrystalTears
09-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Hey Klaive, could you not post on threads specifically to get attention? Not everything is about you, so let's try to stay on topic and talk about the OTHER people that are helpful in this game, okay? Thanks.

09-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Hey Klaive, could you not post on threads specifically to get attention? Not everything is about you, so let's try to stay on topic and talk about the OTHER people that are helpful in this game, okay? Thanks.

Um, I was just replying. But in light of your new "no negative" policy (which was read after those replies), I'll try to keep the negativity in other folders.

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Go CT!

CrystalTears
09-07-2003, 03:07 PM
The no negativity is not new for this folder. It's actually part of the description. I just made a post to remind you since the folder doesn't ding when you enter it. :rolleyes:

09-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
The no negativity is not new for this folder. It's actually part of the description. I just made a post to remind you since the folder doesn't ding when you enter it. :smilegrin:

Cool!

Snapp
09-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I'd have to give all my thanks to Sorlentak (the original)..he taught me everything I know about the lands when I first came in. Unfortunately, he had bad judgement on who he gave his PW to, and was sold.

09-08-2003, 06:55 AM
I did think of someone to thank.

Manny isn't around anymore, but he took a very young and uneducated Klaive under his wing and showed him the ropes of Sorcery and taught him the lore of the lands. When Klaive was 5, Manny got him into Twilight Hall for the first time.

I'll always deeply appreciate that.

AnticorRifling
09-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Manny was great and I, for one, will miss him. He got me involved in Twilight hall two years ago and I was there for his retirement. Every time I'm back in the landing I go do a little rememberance for him and a few of my other friends that left.

longshot
09-08-2003, 12:15 PM
That's actually pretty cool. I wish I had something like that.

You mentioned Twilight Hall... do you think that joining a house is a good way to connect with people in this kind of way?

I'm always a little skittish about things that resemble PROs.

AnticorRifling
09-08-2003, 12:34 PM
I met alot of my friends when I joined a house, but it's not the only way. The guy that got me started on GS3 said hey join this house. I said sure and in the process made some good friends in the game. Alot of people just join houses for bigger lockers but some actually spend time there and RP. It's cool when you can sit around talking about things of the past, reminds me of a good smoking room.

09-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by longshot
That's actually pretty cool. I wish I had something like that.

You mentioned Twilight Hall... do you think that joining a house is a good way to connect with people in this kind of way?

I'm always a little skittish about things that resemble PROs.

It's all about luck. Some people meet their best friends and most admired/respected role-models when joining a house.

Others only find a larger locker and free food.

Joining most houses, in and of itself, won't bring any new friends into your life... though the more difficult ones to join like Brigatta, Rising Phoenix, Arcane and Helden Hall may indeed guarantee you'l meet new people.

Houses are like everything else... an opportunity.

Just think, every time you pass someone in a room, you have missed one opportunity. Why, the most amazing friend you would've ever had could've been standing right there, looking around idly.

Every time you pass by someone you know of but never really talked to... another opportunity is gone. If you throw away what you think you know about them and talk to them one on one, you might be amazed at who they really are.

It's up to you to embrace these opportunities, and a house is only a stepping stone to increase those opportunities and give you a subject "mutual membership" to break the ice.