PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Commanders assassinated.

Nieninque
10-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Iranian commanders assassinated

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45343000/gif/_45343195_breaking_226x170.gif
Several top commanders in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard have been killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile south-east of the country.
Iranian state media say at least 20 people have died in the attack, in the province of Sistan-Baluchistan, and dozens more injured.
The commanders were in the region for a meeting with tribal leaders.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was condemned by Iran's Parliamentary Speaker.
Iran has previously accused a Sunni resistance group, Jundallah, of terrorist activities in the province.
Sistan-Baluchistan is mainly made up of the Baluchi ethnic group who are Sunni Muslims, some of whom oppose Shia rule.
The deputy commander of the Guard's ground force, General Noor Ali Shooshtari, and the Guard's chief provincial commander, Rajab Ali Mohammadzadeh, were among the dead, Irna state news agency reported.
Parliamentary speaker Ali Larijani, speaking at an open session of parliament which was broadcast live of state radio, said: "We express our condolences for their martyrdom.
"The intention of the terrorists was definitely to disrupt security in Sistan-Baluchistan Province."

Revalos
10-18-2009, 09:29 AM
You got to put in the conspiracy quotes from that article too!

Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said "US action" contributed to the attack.

"We consider the recent terrorist attack to be the result of US action. This is a sign of America's animosity against our country," Mr Larijani said, quoted by AFP.

"Mr Obama has said he will extend his hand towards Iran, but with this terrorist action he has burned his hand," he said, referring to US President Barack Obama.

Earlier reports on Iranian TV quoted what it called "informed sources" as saying that Britain was directly involved.

I don't think this is a big enough thing for any actual reaction against the US or Britain as a reprisal to happen. If it had been a more public figure, like the president, maybe. Another oddity...they didn't blame Israel.

Euler
10-18-2009, 10:07 AM
the first rule of israel is that you don't talk about israel.

Gan
10-18-2009, 11:52 AM
The irony of Iranian Revolutionary Guards getting killed by a suicide bomb is quite funny. It would have been even better if it was an IED.

Androidpk
10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
The irony of Iranian Revolutionary Guards getting killed by a suicide bomb is quite funny. It would have been even better if it was an IED.

Haha, that's what I thought.

BriarFox
10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Several top commanders in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard have been killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile south-east of the country.

Yeah, it was a busy weekend.

phantasm
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
So Obama's plan is working and the sunni's are going to overthrow the supreme leader?

Androidpk
10-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, it was a busy weekend.

So that's why you were in Iran..

Atlanteax
10-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Another oddity...they didn't blame Israel.

More like they didn't want to publicly admit that it was Israel (as it'd be embarrassing to the regime).

Gelston
10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Don't see why'd they'd be embarrassed. Israel clearly bombed them a while back, with air planes!

Sean of the Thread
10-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't see why'd they'd be embarrassed. Israel clearly bombed them a while back, with air planes!

At 100ft altitude all the way there too...

Oh and Gelston I forgot if you were an easty or a palms Marine but check out the headlines/front page in the St. Petersburg Times today.

Gelston
10-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm from Pendleton, but I'm currently at 29 Palms for the next 6 months.