PDA

View Full Version : Coins or items?

TheEschaton
03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Pending my leaving in June, should I have a massive auction of all I have now, and keep the coins for when I come back in two years? Or should I keep all my items and hope they're more valuable in two years?

I know breakage is "RSN", but it might actually be implemented 2 years from now, so I'm leaning to liquidating to coins now.

-TheE-

AnticorRifling
03-08-2004, 08:08 AM
You move all your assets to coins and let's say for demostration purposes you get 50mil. That's 50mil by today's standard it will by X amount of goods but 2 years from now do to inflation and or the amassing of more wealth, demand for high end items vs supply ect X will be a smaller amount of tangibles.

The rich do not stay rich by putting everything in currency. I would hold onto your top items and sell the lesser stuff.

crazymage
03-08-2004, 08:41 AM
the mutant mage is correct.

TheEschaton
03-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I would think that breakage (if it is implemented) would seriously put inflation in check, and, in fact, make the market go in a downturn.

-TheE-

Arlos
03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
I would think that breakage (if it is implemented) would seriously put inflation in check, and, in fact, make the market go in a downturn.

-TheE-

I don't think that breakage will hurt the value of items too much. I'm not exactly sure how it will be implemented, but there's really only two obvious results.

1) High end gear that undergoes catasotrophic failure is relatively easy to fix. It requires a special merchant to fix it, but those merchants would be at almost all of the big events (ebon gate, spitfire, etc...) and be automated. Maybe even well-trained players will be able to fix them. In this scenario there won't be a noticable decrease of high end items that are in use, and thus, the GMs won't be able to release a lot of new gear. Silvers will be drained, but the drain rate will be far less than the income rate.

Same amount of high end gear as before + silvers flowing in everwhere = inflation. Items will be better than coins in terms of investment.

2) High end gear that undergoes CF will be very hard to fix. Only special merchants will be capable of fixing them, and it will be limited to players that get on lists or win raffles. The amount of high end gear in use will decrease, allowing GMs to make new gear, but only enough to replace the broken items that aren't fixed.

Same amount of high end gear as before + silvers flowing in everwhere = inflation. The only thing that makes this situation differ from #1 is that some gear will be redistributed from the uber-wealthy to the middle-class. Thus the player market for gear will be more competitive than before since all of those players with huge bank accounts will now need to buy new items every once in a while to replace the ones that break. Items will be a better investment than coins.

It's already been stated by the GMs that they want to keep gear over 4x somewhat rare, otherwise critters would need to be tweaked to take better gear into account. There is no way that 6x gear, high amounts of padding or weighting, or DB items will ever become "common".

Keep in mind, every economy experiences inflation. Bad economies just have higher rates.

So, breakage will either be a silver drain or a redistribution system. Great system, isn't it?

Galleazzo
03-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Why?

People'll still want good stuff, that stuff'll be had with silver, and not everything breaks.

Way to get rid of inflation is a lot more of the same nice items or hack down the silver supply a LOT.

Xcalibur
03-08-2004, 02:55 PM
I had a 4X full leather with a breakage of 85|240 on one of my character before, blue or purple something.

It was worth 3m in late 2001.

I lost the character, but I'm sure the price would be more now.

It depends on you mostly, gambling, love it?

FinisWolf
03-11-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
You move all your assets to coins and let's say for demostration purposes you get 50mil. That's 50mil by today's standard it will by X amount of goods but 2 years from now do to inflation and or the amassing of more wealth, demand for high end items vs supply ect X will be a smaller amount of tangibles.

The rich do not stay rich by putting everything in currency. I would hold onto your top items and sell the lesser stuff.

Actually, I voted liquidate, but I have to agree, keep your high end items, dump the junk.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
03-11-2004, 03:55 AM

-TheE-

Even without it implemented, prices have dropped ALOT! So, if it comes in, I look for it to drop even more, at least until after everyone sees how its going to work, and if breakage turns out to not be so bad, then my guess is it will jump right back up.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
03-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Also, as far as I know, DB items (as long as they are not armor worn) will not be subject to breakage, thus, those with DB items will continue to remain wealthy, while us peons will remain poor, and if breakage does come in, and DB items are not subject to breakage, then DB items value will sky rocket even more, thus the never ending story, the rich only get richer, while the poor get poorer.

Finiswolf

03-11-2004, 07:58 AM
My thing is, if you are truely leaving, and have no intentions on coming back.

Go out with a bang.

If you have high end items that could or would sell for 100 mil here and there. Give em away, let em sell for under what they are. Make your leave known as the best sale ever!

If you want to make money for your Gs addicted losses however, think of how much you spent in GS and honestly think to yourself, "Am I really going to make this kinda money on my character and his stuff?"

But do what ya want to...

But you could put the economy back in check!!

TheEschaton
03-11-2004, 08:01 AM
I am coming back though. Duh. I'm just going for two years to a place with no internet access.

-TheE-

03-11-2004, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't sell anything that has high breakage then...

And anything that is uber now, will only be Uber then...

Methais
03-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Keep your stuff. Chances are it'll be worth more in a couple years.

If you have a list of stuff, post it and it'll be easier to judge then.