PDA

View Full Version : Andraste

poison_Owns
10-11-2009, 04:23 AM
So I get disconnected and when i come back, my bow was disarmed and i was dead. This is the excellent response I got from Andraste:

SEND[Andraste] There's been no lag on our end tonight. I've been in and active for the last 6 hours without any issue.

Seconds later without noticing Andraste's message i'm sure, this was sent:

SEND[Emeradan] There was lag, definitely, but I had three characters ingame and only one was disconnected, so it wasn't game-related.

followed by:

SEND[Andraste] And he only lives 20 miles away from me... go figure.

Here's all the people that logged back into the game after the "no lag on their end tonight...."

This was all in the course of 1 minute:

* Payme joins the adventure.
* Lazym joins the adventure.
* Myrzae joins the adventure.
* Kerl joins the adventure.
* Wekin joins the adventure.
* Ashkita joins the adventure.
* Currin joins the adventure.
* Skeevve joins the adventure.
* Raisar joins the adventure.
* Taebaek joins the adventure.
* Drevihyinn joins the adventure.
* Treauge joins the adventure.
* Drumold joins the adventure.
* Ravashaak joins the adventure.
* Anakerie joins the adventure.
* Lawst joins the adventure.
* Kallisti joins the adventure.

Could someone PLEASE explain what ''lag on their end looks like??"

Renian
10-11-2009, 04:30 AM
It looks like a router in Chicago.

Reawing
10-11-2009, 05:27 AM
So I get disconnected and when i come back, my bow was disarmed and i was dead. This is the excellent response I got from Andraste:

SEND[Andraste] There's been no lag on our end tonight. I've been in and active for the last 6 hours without any issue.

Seconds later without noticing Andraste's message i'm sure, this was sent:

SEND[Emeradan] There was lag, definitely, but I had three characters ingame and only one was disconnected, so it wasn't game-related.

followed by:

SEND[Andraste] And he only lives 20 miles away from me... go figure.

Here's all the people that logged back into the game after the "no lag on their end tonight...."

This was all in the course of 1 minute:

* Payme joins the adventure.
* Lazym joins the adventure.
* Myrzae joins the adventure.
* Kerl joins the adventure.
* Wekin joins the adventure.
* Ashkita joins the adventure.
* Currin joins the adventure.
* Skeevve joins the adventure.
* Raisar joins the adventure.
* Taebaek joins the adventure.
* Drevihyinn joins the adventure.
* Treauge joins the adventure.
* Drumold joins the adventure.
* Ravashaak joins the adventure.
* Anakerie joins the adventure.
* Lawst joins the adventure.
* Kallisti joins the adventure.

Could someone PLEASE explain what ''lag on their end looks like??"

I got disconnected and got pawned in Varunar. What a pain. My saving grace was that my 14 train ranger was able to get into Varunar, grab my runestaff and drag me out without dying...very lame. Otherwise, I would have been out another runestaff, this one 5.4x. About 6 months ago I lost a 6X in the same manner. grr

-Reawing

Asha
10-11-2009, 06:37 AM
What the fuck does 'Go Figure' mean?
I'd have asked her not to be rude if she'd said that sentence to me. Then again, I look for any reason to fuck with the fat slut.

She's definitely reading this thread btw.
Hey thickness! :hi:

StrayRogue
10-11-2009, 11:02 AM
You forget the cardinal rule: It is NEVER Simu's fault.

phantasm
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Unless a server personally owned by simu is causing the problem they will always say the lag is not their fault.
The lag is often caused by their ISP, they choose to pay for cheap, low quality of service, access point.
So, its not their fault, and its not your fault.

Inspire
10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Technically, it wasn't.

Some router somewhere along the way to Simu took a dump. You guys happened to be in that dump. They don't own that router so they technically had no control. Their equipment and connection was up and running.

(Oops, Phantasm beat me to it.)

They go through Savvis btw, do a tracert and you can see it. Savvis is a reseller of hosting if I'm thinking of the right company, they don't actually own any data centers they just rent space in them.

Drew
10-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Technically, it wasn't.

Some router somewhere along the way to Simu took a dump. You guys happened to be in that dump. They don't own that router so they technically had no control. Their equipment and connection was up and running.

(Oops, Phantasm beat me to it.)

They go through Savvis btw, do a tracert and you can see it. Savvis is a reseller of hosting if I'm thinking of the right company, they don't actually own any data centers they just rent space in them.

And a pretty notorious enabler of spam. But I imagine they are cheap.

Morrff
10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
My character got booted last night as well, which has not happened in 3 weeks or so. Definitely had issues on their end.

Bobmuhthol
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Using a service that the end users have no control over falls under Simu's problem. They have the agreement with the provider, not the customers.

Parkbandit
10-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Here is the #1 issue with Simutronics.. they don't care. It would be a "pain" for them to make sure that your items were returned to you.. almost taking them upwards of 2-3 minutes. It's far easier for them to simply blame something else.. your computer, your isp, the routers you use to connect to the game.

This has been their SOP for as long as they've been in business.

phantasm
10-11-2009, 05:08 PM
So lets say Simutronics is a stock trading provider.
We are a billion dollar trading company that uses them to do trades.
We are in the middle of some trades, and they lose connection.
We were in the process of selling a half billion dollars worth of stock, but the trade didn't go through b/c of the downtime.
We are left to sell them later losing several million dollars.
Simutronics says, not our fault, it was our ISP.

Can we sue Simutronics to help cover some of the loss?

Numbers
10-11-2009, 05:10 PM
We were in the process of selling a half billion dollars worth of stock, but the trade didn't go through b/c of the downtime.

Only if they had an uptime guarantee in whatever contract you signed with them.

I'm pretty sure the EULA Simu uses swears off any responsibility for downtime.

Bobmuhthol
10-11-2009, 05:13 PM
This is me recognizing that the analogy is totally irrelevant and not responding to it.

AnticorRifling
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Let's instead say they are a text based computer game company.
We are people that play their game.
We are in the middle of playing and the connection shits the bed.
We were in the process of playing their game.
Later we got back on the game and we were missing text that can be restored.
I agree with the last part of your story about where they place blame.

No.

Quit comparing apples to tonka trucks.

phantasm
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks, I was really just curious.

Lord Paco
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Quit your freakin whining you little freaks. Bottom line is you died. Suck it up like a man, or a wo-man and take your tears to Justin Timberlake so he can make another song about crying him a river. You little cornholes are gonna end up on yer knees you keep this kind of stuff up.

Monsoon
10-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Lord Paco for Ratolin II.

Warriorbird
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
The thread o lame ass conspiracy theory was at least entertaining in a 'It came from the Internet!' sort of way.

AnticorRifling
10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Quit your freakin whining you little freaks. Bottom line is you died. Suck it up like a man, or a wo-man and take your tears to Justin Timberlake so he can make another song about crying him a river. You little cornholes are gonna end up on yer knees you keep this kind of stuff up.
Ethug it up.

Gelston
10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm going to start positive reping him, for the fun.

Lord Orbstar
10-22-2009, 03:47 PM
in the end, really, does it MATTER? it is a text video game with not so many customers. Just give him his damn bow back. There would be no drama from this with decent customer service oriented mindset.

I have lost a weapon worth 35m. I appealed and they returned it. I appreciated it DEEPLY. Those interactions are what breeds customer loyalty.

Monsoon
10-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I know. They need to realize that losing items, especially to unforeseen circumstances, can and will result in people deactivating.

Bobmuhthol
10-22-2009, 03:56 PM
I think a better question to ask is why there are so many different ways to lose your expensive shit without a chance of recovery.

Methais
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Earlier this year I ran my script to Nelemar and tabbed over to another window while the script was running. I forgot I was playing GS because whatever was in the other window ended up being more interesting.

I got disarmed and died. Nobody could find my runestaff. I assisted just to find out if it was still around or if the janitor got it.

Emeradan pops down, tells me the janitor sucked it up within 2 minutes of it being disarmed, and replaced it on the spot.

It was some cheap 4x scripted runestaff.

Up until then I thought he was a huge douchenozzle. Mainly from how he was on the officials, but also for things like this other story:

A year or two ago I was in OTF. I disconnected, died, and had an altered but useless ring looted off my corpse. The crash was Simu's fault, as GM Naos returned my deed and removed my death's sting. I didn't notice the ring was missing til about 6 months later. Went through my logs and saw what happened.

Actually the thread is here I'm too lazy to go into detail. Relevant parts on page 1 & 3.

TLDR: Lost item due to game crash on Simu's end, Emeradan tried to blame it on me. Got it back eventually anyway after being super log file investigator.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=33273

I don't get why Simu is usually so retarded about replacing items. Even if the disconnect is on the player's end, I don't see what's so wrong about replacing it. It's not like they can't tell if someone's fabricating a story just to try and get a free item.

How one person handles customer service can have a huge impact on the company as a whole. The dwindling playerbase isn't only due to stupid game mechanics changes. That actually might be the second biggest reason. There have been fuckloads of people who quit over the years due to customer service bullshit.

Methais
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I think a better question to ask is why there are so many different ways to lose your expensive shit without a chance of recovery.

BECAUSE IT WILL HELP FIX THE INFLATED GS ECONOMY BY REMOVING EXPENSIVE ITEMS!!!!1

Monsoon
10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
BECAUSE IT WILL HELP FIX THE INFLATED GS ECONOMY BY REMOVING EXPENSIVE ITEMS!!!!1
And removing the people with all the money!

Methais
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
And removing the people with all the money!

http://www.wowowow.com/files/imagecache/300x/2009_0114_getty_obama_thumbs_upCROP.jpghttp://static.rnw.nl/migratie/www.wereldomroep.nl/images/assets/10681661-redirected

Monsoon
10-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow. Every thread turns into Obama-bashing.

Methais
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I have altered my post to make it more bi-partisan.