PDA

View Full Version : Free Tibet!

Mabus
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Barack Obama cancels meeting with Dalai Lama 'to keep China happy' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/6262938/Barack-Obama-cancels-meeting-with-Dalai-Lama-to-keep-China-happy.html)

An excerpt:

The decision came after China stepped up a campaign urging nations to shun the Tibetan spiritual leader.

It means Mr Obama will become the first president not to welcome the Nobel peace prize winner to the White House since the Dalai Lama began visiting Washington in 1991.

The Buddhist monk arrived in Washington on Monday for a week of meetings with Congressional leaders, celebrity supporters and interest groups, but the president will not see him until after he has made his first visit to China next month.

Samdhong Rinpoche, the Tibetan prime minister-in-exile, has accused the United States and other Western nations of "appeasement" toward China as its economic weight grows.

"Today, economic interests are much greater than other interests," he said.

Mr Obama's decision dismayed human rights and Tibetan support groups, who said he had made an unnecessary concession to the Chinese, who regard the Dalai Lama as a "splittist", despite his calls for autonomy rather than independence for Tibet. The Chinese invaded in 1950, forcing the young leader to flee.

Sophie Richardson, Asia advocate for Human Rights Watch, said: "Presidents always meets the Dalai Lama and what happens? Absolutely nothing.

"This idea that if you are nice to the Chinese Communist Party up front you can cash in later is just wrong. If you lower the bar on human rights they will just move it lower and lower." (Bold my own)

Not a major issue in the larger scheme of things. Still troubling that appeasement now trumps liberty, and certainly different then his stated stance pre-election.

TheEschaton
10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I think the silence comes from the fact that everyone agrees it's a pretty dick thing to do to the Dalai Lama to appease a country with notorious human rights abuses.

Methais
10-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Well it's not like he didn't visit WW2 graves because he thought it would offend Germany or something.

Oh wait....

I think it's safe to say that Obama is the biggest pussy we've ever had in the Oval Office.

Daniel
10-09-2009, 06:08 AM
I can easily see why some people would say that's a pretty dick move.

Atlanteax
10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Ooooh, and now Obama is getting a Peace Prize!

Methais
10-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Free Tibet! 10-08-2009 11:19 PM You=petty, partisan, self-deluded, idiotic. "YOU DIDN'T SIGN YOUR REP, WAAAAAH!"

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/7/30/nou128619151022807600.jpg

4a6c1
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM
He's all talk. Not suprised.

Lord Orbstar
10-10-2009, 03:49 AM
I think the silence comes from the fact that everyone agrees it's a pretty dick thing to do to the Dalai Lama to appease a country with notorious human rights abuses.

it is rare the the E and I agree, but here we do.

radamanthys
10-10-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and agree, too. Dick move.

Clove
10-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Silently assenting to China's oppressive policy on Tibet because it's more convenient doesn't strike me as furthering world peace to me.

Dick move.