PDA

View Full Version : Tigers at Twins 1 Game Playoff

Reawing
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Is anyone else watching this insanely good baseball game? I'm not really rooting for either team, but its an unbelievable game. Its been back and forth and now its in the bottom of the 12th. It doesn't get much better. Its on TBS if you're curious.

-Reawing

Sean
10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm watching it's a pretty good game, rooting for the Twins because as a Yankee fan that's who I'd rather play.

Allereli
10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm watching the updates on espn. awesome

Reawing
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm watching it's a pretty good game, rooting for the Twins because as a Yankee fan that's who I'd rather play.

I agree. As a Yank fan, I think the Twins are less able to put together a cohesive 1st round bid. The Tigers could still get Verlander in for game 2 and, wheras the Twins have had to bust ass for all 163, full speed ahead. I voted that the Tigers would play the Yanks tougher.

-Reawing

Ardwen
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Go Twins!

Reawing
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Congratulations to the Minnesota Twins. Now its time to lose to the Yanks.

Xanator
10-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Goodness gracious, Detroit Tigers. Way to cap off that Mets-esque September collapse.

I have to imagine that it's hard enough being a human being in Detroit, given the impact of the economic meltdown on the city's economy and the fact that it hasn't always been the nicest place on Earth to begin with. But:

Detroit Pistons: Total tank job last season, blew up the team

Detroit Red Wings: Lost to a young Pittsburgh Penguins team in the Cup Finals, team isn't getting any younger. It's sad when your NHL franchise is your bright spot.

Detroit Tigers: Up by, what, 7 games at the beginning of September? Not quite the '07 Mets, but a noble effort.

Detroit Shock: It's also sad when your WNBA team is your second brightest spot.

Detroit Lions: :(

Archigeek
10-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I just got back from the game.

I've been to a lot of baseball games, and I think this was the most exciting game I've ever been to. It was crazy-good, with ups and downs for both teams and a sea-saw match up of two teams fighting with absolutely everything they had right up till the last out. Simply amazing.

Even the managers. It was like watching two chess masters in a duel of cunning but subtle trickery. I found myself asking, "now why didn't Gardenhire put Casila in to run for this player instead of that?" And two plays later I see why. They walked the right people in the right places, faced the right hitters with the right pitchers, or at least the right match ups, and both used damn near every position player and available pitcher they had.

And if that weren't enough, it went freakin' extra innings, during which the Tigers took the lead, then the Twins tied it again and then finally won it in the twelfth! Amazing and fitting that game 163 wasn't enough extra baseball, so it had to go extra innings too!

And how fitting is it that in the very last "regular" season game ever in the metrodome, they set a single game attendance record?

I have my tickets for the ALDS already: waited in line after the game at the box office. Sa-weet!!

kookiegod
10-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I just got back from the game.

I've been to a lot of baseball games, and I think this was the most exciting game I've ever been to. It was crazy-good, with ups and downs for both teams and a sea-saw match up of two teams fighting with absolutely everything they had right up till the last out. Simply amazing.

Even the managers. It was like watching two chess masters in a duel of cunning but subtle trickery. I found myself asking, "now why didn't Gardenhire put Casila in to run for this player instead of that?" And two plays later I see why. They walked the right people in the right places, faced the right hitters with the right pitchers, or at least the right match ups, and both used damn near every position player and available pitcher they had.

And if that weren't enough, it went freakin' extra innings, during which the Tigers took the lead, then the Twins tied it again and then finally won it in the twelfth! Amazing and fitting that game 163 wasn't enough extra baseball, so it had to go extra innings too!

And how fitting is it that in the very last "regular" season game ever in the metrodome, they set a single game attendance record?

I have my tickets for the ALDS already: waited in line after the game at the box office. Sa-weet!!

Yah, amazing game.

Jealous Paul, getting Sox tix out here is insane for the ALDS, let alone if get to the ALCS.

Glad you got to see it live, that's awesome.

:)

~Paul

Archigeek
10-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Oh, and as for who would be the better match up for the Yankees, we had this discussion at work today too. I tend to agree with you Yankee fans, that Detroit has the better playoff makeup. Any team with an ace pitcher with completely nasty stuff is going to be a much bigger challenge because of the breaks in the playoff system. Make it two aces and you become the team to beat. Detroit has one bonified ace, Verlander, who can throw 98 mile an hour heat, with accuracy no less! And he has a decent slider and curve ball too. Not as good as Greinke's slider, which is wicked good, but it's decent. So yeah, you'd have had a tougher time with Detroit... at least on paper.

But don't forget. When the Twins were last in NY, playing the Yanks, all 4 of those games were Yankee wins, but they were also all very close games and decided in the final inning. I guess the only category where the Twins lead is in that they have incredible heart and never say die. How many games that's good for is anyone's guess. Oh, and they do have Joe Mauer, the AL MVP, awaiting his crown.

Archigeek
10-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Yah, amazing game.

Jealous Paul, getting Sox tix out here is insane for the ALDS, let alone if get to the ALCS.

Glad you got to see it live, that's awesome.

~Paul

I totally spammed the phone line AND the website to get tickets to tonight's game the moment the last regular season game ended. Because it was an "extra" game, I think it was easier to get tickets, even though everyone was trying at virtually the same time. And being at the stadium made it easier for me to get tickets to the ALDS the moment they went on sale, or at least after about a 20 minute wait in line. 30 bucks a seat for upper deck reserved, at about the 1st base line, (section 219 tonight and 220 on Sunday if you want to take a peek at the Twin's website and see). Those were the best tickets I could get in a pair without being a season ticket holder. I've done that in years past too, and they go out of their way to make sure season ticket holders get tickets if they want them.

Reawing
10-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh, and as for who would be the better match up for the Yankees, we had this discussion at work today too. I tend to agree with you Yankee fans, that Detroit has the better playoff makeup. Any team with an ace pitcher with completely nasty stuff is going to be a much bigger challenge because of the breaks in the playoff system. Make it two aces and you become the team to beat. Detroit has one bonified ace, Verlander, who can throw 98 mile an hour heat, with accuracy no less! And he has a decent slider and curve ball too. Not as good as Greinke's slider, which is wicked good, but it's decent. So yeah, you'd have had a tougher time with Detroit... at least on paper.

But don't forget. When the Twins were last in NY, playing the Yanks, all 4 of those games were Yankee wins, but they were also all very close games and decided in the final inning. I guess the only category where the Twins lead is in that they have incredible heart and never say die. How many games that's good for is anyone's guess. Oh, and they do have Joe Mauer, the AL MVP, awaiting his crown.

I agree with you on Mauer as being the MVP. I also think that Joe Nathan should at least be in the discussion for Cy Young. I mean, he ended with something like 47 saves and a 2.10 ERA or something. Grienke probably deserves it, but the Twins have some really bright spots this year. I'm looking forward to rooting for their demise starting tomorrow, as a Yanks fan, but they do have a rather uniqie character to the team this year that seems different. Although, I think the same is true about the Yanks this year compared to last. We shall see. Let October baseball begin!

TheEschaton
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Paul, that's why living in Fenway and having friends in the BoSox front office should be a goal of yours. That's how I went to every game of the ALCS a couple years ago. ;)

kookiegod
10-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Paul, that's why living in Fenway and having friends in the BoSox front office should be a goal of yours. That's how I went to every game of the ALCS a couple years ago. ;)

Bah! :(

Halp me!

And yes, I need to work on that, or just my vendors and legislators I give money too.

/grumble

~Paul

TheEschaton
10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
One of my best friends is the head of community affairs in the PR department. It would be a bit wierd if I asked him for tickets now that I don't live there though. Hmm.

Xanator
10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I went to Game 2 of the 2007 ALCS and it SUCKED. Had good loge seats, ended up abandoning them in favor of the right field roof deck thanks to a friend of mine working up there (free food/drink was a plus, anyway). Froze my ass off in the most exposed part of the park for the entire 5+ hour 11-inning game. The Sox lost 13-6 thanks to a seven-run top of the 11th for Cleveland.

I think the moral of the story here is sell your tickets to outdoor sporting events in New England from October to February, sit at home and eat some soup or something, and watch the game on TV.

Reawing
10-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I went to Game 2 of the 2007 ALCS and it SUCKED. Had good loge seats, ended up abandoning them in favor of the right field roof deck thanks to a friend of mine working up there (free food/drink was a plus, anyway). Froze my ass off in the most exposed part of the park for the entire 5+ hour 11-inning game. The Sox lost 13-6 thanks to a seven-run top of the 11th for Cleveland.

I think the moral of the story here is sell your tickets to outdoor sporting events in New England from October to February, sit at home and eat some soup or something, and watch the game on TV.

Come on down to Yankee Stadium this year. Technically, we're a mid-atlantic state. Its not nearly as frigid in October. hehe

-Reawing

TheEschaton
10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
ugh, I've been in NYC for less than 2 months and I've been fighting off invites to watch the Yankees play from day 1. I suppose living in Boston for 7 years does have an effect on you, in the end.

Reawing
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
ugh, I've been in NYC for less than 2 months and I've been fighting off invites to watch the Yankees play from day 1. I suppose living in Boston for 7 years does have an effect on you, in the end.

Whether you love the Yankees or hate em (there is no middle ground really, I suppose), I guarantee you will at least enjoy the new stadium. It is quite a masterpiece inside.

On a side note, good luck living in NYC. I grew up there and lived there until college. I moved to Madison, Wisconsin for college and my stress level went down by like 20 times. I just decided to stay after. If you can pull it off man, grats to you.

-Reawing

Allereli
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Whether you love the Yankees or hate em (there is no middle ground really, I suppose), I guarantee you will at least enjoy the new stadium. It is quite a masterpiece inside.

and when you go to the stadium, get the garlic fries

Latrinsorm
10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Citi Field is really well put together too, you can see the Mets when they play... um... next year. :(

Geijon Khyree
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Being a Detroit Red Wings and Yankees hater I can easily get behind the fact that my home team is a lot more exciting than the Yankees. I also am enough of a realist and baseball fan that when the Yankees have a batting champion hitting 7th they are pretty scary.

The Twins have enough pitching, stellar defense, and their bats are awake right now that in a 5 game series the Yankees could go down 1-0 and pull a collapse against a hot Twins team.

Tigers > Twins? I don't think so. Detroit hasn't made the playoffs since 06? The Twins are 5 time division champions in the last 8 years, 2 time world series champions, and among the top 3rd franchises in baseball.

It's cool though. We've been underestimated before and we've won Championships.

Boston is a lot scarier than the Yankees and with recent championship experience. Put Manny back on that team and the Yankees take the wild card.

Reawing
10-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Being a Detroit Red Wings and Yankees hater I can easily get behind the fact that my home team is a lot more exciting than the Yankees. I also am enough of a realist and baseball fan that when the Yankees have a batting champion hitting 7th they are pretty scary.

The Twins have enough pitching, stellar defense, and their bats are awake right now that in a 5 game series the Yankees could go down 1-0 and pull a collapse against a hot Twins team.

Tigers > Twins? I don't think so. Detroit hasn't made the playoffs since 06? The Twins are 5 time division champions in the last 8 years, 2 time world series champions, and among the top 3rd franchises in baseball.

It's cool though. We've been underestimated before and we've won Championships.

Boston is a lot scarier than the Yankees and with recent championship experience. Put Manny back on that team and the Yankees take the wild card.

The Twins don't really have an ace. Even if they split in NY, the Yankees still have Pettitte, Sabathia and Burnett again in 3, 4 and 5. Its gonna be a real tough series for the twins. If you look at the overall records in baseball this year, the Yanks had the best record and the Twins had the 11th best record. All of the other playoff teams are 1-7 in overall rankings. I'm going with Yanks in 3.

-Reawing

Geijon Khyree
10-07-2009, 05:52 PM
No doubt. Big underdog theme with the Twins vs. the Yankees. That is why they play the games though.

Reawing
10-07-2009, 06:08 PM
No doubt. Big underdog theme with the Twins vs. the Yankees. That is why they play the games though.

Agreed. Through 2 pitches, CC looks good so far. lol

Archigeek
10-07-2009, 11:37 PM
One down. I was pretty excited when the Twins took the lead, but man that is one tough hitting line up on the Yankees. And the Twin's pitching, is certainly not strong... not a good combination.

Reawing
10-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Ok, here are my predictions for the postseason...

ALDS 1: Yanks over Minnesota in 3
ALDS 2: Boston over LA in 5
NLDS 1: LA over St. Louis in 5
NLDS 2: Philly over Colorado in 4

ALCS: Yanks over Boston in 6
NLCS: Philly over LA in 5

WS: Yanks over Philly in 7

Anyone want to take it on?

Archigeek
10-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Sure, I'll take you on. Here are mine:

ALDS1: Yanks over Minnesota in 4.
ALDS2: LA over Boston in 5.
NLDS1: St Louis in 4 over LA.
NLDS2: Philly over Colorado in 4.

ALCS: Yanks over LA in 6.
NLCS: Philly over St Louis in 6.

WS: Philly over the Yankees in 7.

Hats off to your Yankees, who are off to a good start.

Reawing
10-08-2009, 02:35 AM
LOL, can I take back my NLDS prediction for Dodgers-Cardinals? As for a potential Philly-Yanks WS, I think it would be pretty hard for Philly to win a game 7 situation in New York. But the Yanks have been killing me this decade with ways to screw up the postseason. Philly is a dangerous team...with their left handed hitters, two real aces (Lee and Hamels), and being reigning champion, I guess I shouldn't underestimate them...they played well in Yankee Stadium earlier this year in interleague play.

-Reawing

Archigeek
10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah it's the two legit aces and all that quality hitting that has me picking Philly. I think they're a better team this year than last year. Keep in mind though that it's awefully hard to compare NL to AL, and the Yankees are a much better team this year too. Historically, for quite a long time the quality in the AL has been better, but I'm not entirely sure that's the case this year.

One other thing that just kills the Twins vs Yankees is that the lefty/righty match ups also don't work well in the Twins favor, as if it weren't hard enough to face the Yankees bats. I just cringed when they threw Fransisco Liriano in there last night... that guy is washed up and has no confidence. What a sad loss of what was for half a season the best pitching arm in the majors. What was it, 12-1 in the first half of his rookie year? Amazing, and too bad it didn't last. He never should have had Tommy John in my opinion.

Reawing
10-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I just cringed when they threw Fransisco Liriano in there last night... that guy is washed up and has no confidence. What a sad loss of what was for half a season the best pitching arm in the majors. What was it, 12-1 in the first half of his rookie year? Amazing, and too bad it didn't last. He never should have had Tommy John in my opinion.

Its amazing how dominant he was before the surgery. Something is clearly screwing with him now.

-Reawing

Archigeek
10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
And now, after that last game I'm ready to cry. Gomez f's up and gets out at second, preventing what would have been the winning run from counting, 2 run lead in the ninth and give it up, bases loaded in extra innings and can't score, new record for most players left on base in the ALDS at 17! Go Twins!

On the other hand, Yankees: runners at the corners with 1 out and a chance to win the game and Jeter doesn't take the gimmie steal of second, and bingo, double play to end the inning. Oops. Coulda taken the steal and probably won the game with a squeeze play, but God forbid the Yankees play small ball. I'm not sure they know how to bunt on that team.

So both teams screwed up, but the Yankees win. Instead of going to Minnesota knotted up, which would have been great for the Twins, they go in a 0-2 hole! Sucks!

Anyway, I'll be at the game tomorrow, and Monday IF there is one on Monday. Go Twins!

Allereli
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Go Twins!

LOL