PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Question

Reawing
10-06-2009, 04:31 AM
I am currently in the first 30 days of my new ranger. Right now, he is basically a warrior with high logic for optimal learning (Thanks to Zhelas for that trick). I'm trying to get close to title before the 30 are up. Essentially, I am looking for some opinions on where to optimally place stats and some training suggestions. I'd like to eventually cap this character and I am planning to make him a bow user in GoS. I also am fairly attached to 1x in spirit share up to 24 unless there is a compelling reason to do it another way. I really am open to any and all suggestions. Mobiles, shimmers and colors for all of you who help. :grins:

-Reawing

Swami71
10-06-2009, 05:11 AM
I am currently in the first 30 days of my new ranger. Right now, he is basically a warrior with high logic for optimal learning (Thanks to Zhelas for that trick). I'm trying to get close to title before the 30 are up. Essentially, I am looking for some opinions on where to optimally place stats and some training suggestions. I'd like to eventually cap this character and I am planning to make him a bow user in GoS. I also am fairly attached to 1x in spirit share up to 24 unless there is a compelling reason to do it another way. I really am open to any and all suggestions. Mobiles, shimmers and colors for all of you who help. :grins:

-Reawing

http://home.mchsi.com/~cphillips73/StatCruncher/StatCruncher.html
This site will help you figure out your stats at cap. INF, INT, LOG are the stats that are the least useful IMO.

Celephais
10-06-2009, 09:13 AM
... INT is a prime stat, and counts double towards your training points.
... LOG determines the rate you absorb EXP, which will make a huge difference if you plan on capping.

Swami, come'on.

BriarFox
10-06-2009, 09:36 AM
... LOG determines the rate you absorb EXP, which will make a huge difference if you plan on capping.

Swami, come'on.

Yeah, as a ranger, tank DISC and INF if you have to tank something.

I'd like to eventually cap this character and I am planning to make him a bow user in GoS.

You'll want high DEX and STR scores - DEX adds straight to ranged AS and you'll want a STR score at 25 or better at cap so that with 606 and 509 you can fire a longbow in three seconds.

For training, 2x ranged, perception, and physical fitness. You could 1-2x ambush if you wanted, too, as well. I'd also 1x (or better) armor to at least double chain as an archer.

Reawing
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, as a ranger, tank DISC and INF if you have to tank something.

You'll want high DEX and STR scores - DEX adds straight to ranged AS and you'll want a STR score at 25 or better at cap so that with 606 and 509 you can fire a longbow in three seconds.

For training, 2x ranged, perception, and physical fitness. You could 1-2x ambush if you wanted, too, as well. I'd also 1x (or better) armor to at least double chain as an archer.

When you say tank, do you mean put em at 20? Also, is it worth it to train in ambush, or if built correctly, can I shoot from the open and save the points?

Thanks,
Reawing

Drew
10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Later on in life you can definitely shoot from the open. I know a lot of younger players prefer to try and snipe.

Swami71
10-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Swami, come'on.

Never played a ranger really so my bad on INT. But Logic I'm not a fan of. Don't tank Logic but its a good stat to be in the low 90's or high 80's IMO. And speaking in general if its not a prime stat INF, LOG, and INT are the least helpful.

droit
10-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I tanked INF with no regrets.

Swami71
10-06-2009, 05:31 PM
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=44565&highlight=perfect+stats

See the thread above about Logic and prefect stats. My reasoning for logic is that its worth it to have 10 or more stat on something else for the loss of 1 exp per pulse. I would put DIS and LOG around 90 and keep INF just high enough to have the rest 100's at cap.

EDIT: taking the advice of Briarfox on the DIS

Reawing
10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks, this has been very helpful. Is 1x in Survival and 1x in FA appropriate for Rangers as well?

-Reawing

droit
10-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks, this has been very helpful. Is 1x in Survival and 1x in FA appropriate for Rangers as well?

-Reawing

Sure. Skinning can be very profitable.

BriarFox
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Sure. Skinning can be very profitable.

You may want that FA for GoS as well, since you won't be able to Staunch or such. 1x FA with Sigil of Bandages is pretty effective, though Sigil of Determination and Sigil of Mending will hold you in good stead even without the FA. Survival helps with things like lighting fires and avoiding slipping on ice, too.