PDA

View Full Version : Millionaire Filmmaker Michael Moore: ‘Capitalism Did Nothing For Me’

Parkbandit
10-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Documentary film director Michael Moore, who has become a millionaire thanks to the profits from his movies, told CNSNews.com that “capitalism did nothing” for him.

CNSNews.com spoke with Moore on the red carpet at the Uptown Theatre in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday night before the premiere of his upcoming documentary, “Capitalism: A Love Story."

CNSNews.com asked: “Critics may say, when they see this movie, Michael Moore has amassed a fortune of over $50 million, some have said and –”

Moore said: “Really? Are you kidding me? Seriously? Wow. Where did it go?”

CNSNews.com then asked Moore: “Critics would say he’s [Moore] been very successful under a capitalist system. How would you justify making a movie where you paint capitalism as evil?”

Moore said: “Well, capitalism did nothing for me, starting with my first film.”

“You know, I had to pretty much beg, borrow and steal,” he said. “The system is not set up to help somebody from the working class make a movie like this and get the truth out there.”

“In fact, in Fahrenheit 9/11 if you remember, capitalism, the Disney Corporation, tried to kill that film--tried to make it so that people couldn’t see it,” said Moore. “My book Stupid White Men--Harper Collins tried to kill that book so that people couldn’t see it. It's only because I put the light of day on it and told people what was going on did people get the chance to see these things.”

According to Fortune Magazine, Moore’s films have grossed over $300 million worldwide. His highest grossing film was “Fahrenheit 9/11,” which critiques the Bush administration’s handling of the war in Iraq and earned over $200 million worldwide.

Moore reportedly was paid $21 million by Disney for producing, directing and creating the film.

Moore also earned 50 percent of the profits of his 2007 film “Sicko,” totaling $25 million plus DVD sales, according to Vanity Fair.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Moore would receive all of the profits made from DVD sales of “Sicko,” sales of which have been estimated at over $17 million.

“Look, you know, I mean, I make documentary films,” said Moore. “So, clearly, I’m not loaded in the way you described. But I do well, obviously because my films do well.”

“So, that means I have an extra responsibility to make sure I spend my time trying to make things better for the people that don’t have what I have, right? I mean, everybody should do that,” he said.

Moore’s newest film, “Capitalism: A Love Story” opens in theaters October 2.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/54833

I used to think Michael Moore was one of the dumbest people who's 15 minutes of fame should have expired years ago.... this confirms I was correct.

Sweets
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Just think, if it wasn't a capitalist society, he would never have had the money to do this film.

CrystalTears
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Michael Moore does have valid points with certain issues. If he wasn't so obnoxious about his deliveries, and not try to make more of an emphasis by adding smokescreens, I'd be more on board with his ideas.

There really is no need to throw in things that are out of context to make a point. He should really focus on the truth rather than adding his bullshit.

It would be a cold day in hell before he ever did that so... oh well.

Geshron
10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
^^^^^^^^^

Fallen
10-02-2009, 09:46 AM
If he gave even a 1/4th of his wealth to "help his fellow man" maybe he wouldn't be such a gigantic douche.

ElvenFury
10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
He'd be much less successful if his opponents stopped giving him free media.

Rocktar
10-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think he would know the truth if it walked up and hit him upside the head with a giant frozen flounder.

CrystalTears
10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
He knows the truth, it's just that contorting information to make it look like a greater truth, rather than mentioning the other sides of it is what bothers me.

Let's take Sicko for example. He mentions that the healthcare in Cuba is better than here because the medication is cheaper and the healthcare is free. What he doesn't mention is that:
1) If you get bad medical attention, you have to suck it up and can't sue.
2) If you don't like the price of the medication, you can't complain, nor do you have several pharmacy options to find the best price. You get one price.
3) With cheap medicine and free healthcare, people still risk themselves across eel-infested waters (okay not really, mostly sharks) to come to America for the freedom to have those choices even at greater cost.

Explain all of that and then maybe... MAYBE.. you'll have me convinced that his "documentaries" are for the greater good. Until then he's in it for the money because people enjoy talking shit about our government and eat it up.

landy
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Moore was on with Bill Maher recently, a very liberal platform, where he spoke about his movie and answered questions about Obama. I got the impression he is the type of man who never sees two sides to an argument, only his own opinion. I also have a hard time believing health-care propaganda when it's presented by a man who obviously doesn't much care for his own health.

LMingrone
10-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Why doesn't this douche just release his movies as FREE torrents and ask for donations? And I don't know why, but it pisses me off that he walks around in silly, misfitting hats, trying to look like he's a "normal guy". Reminds me of jackass Bill Belichick.

He makes a few points in his movies that make sense, but his know-it-all one sided attitude gets tiring after a while.

You need to go watch some Glenn Beck to balance it out.

pabstblueribbon
10-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Michael Moore aside, he does bring up some valid points about how our current system of campaign funding allows the status quo to remain just that.

Sadly, it amazes me at how much the left wing/right wing retards will ignore the more important details to simply scream NO U at the opposing side.

Ah, the Art of Political distraction, where the eyes of the people (sheep) are so often drawn to the ultimately less consequential issues.

TheEschaton
10-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Explain all of that and then maybe... MAYBE.. you'll have me convinced that his "documentaries" are for the greater good. Until then he's in it for the money because people enjoy talking shit about our government and eat it up.

So even though he brings up valid points, and does documentaries about things no one else does documentaries about (SiCKO came out years before the current health care debate), it's all about the money because he doesn't explain away every last nuance?

Here, I'll do it for you:
1. The ratio of good-to-bad care is much lower in Cuba. So if you don't get to sue - oh well. I feel like in other threads those criticizing Michael Moore here would criticize sue-happy leftists. Mistakes happen in health care.
2. You get one price. Which is lower than any price in the U.S. If you can't pay that, you can't pay it in the U.S. If there was a choice, a private choice, it would be more expensive, and you still wouldn't be able to pay for it. If there's one thing no one has ever said, it's that privitization drives UP the cost of things, when they seek to up their profit margins.
3. Are you kidding? People risk coming to America because America is like fun-time happyland. You can be greedy here. You can think solely about yourself and the ones you love here. You can be a pig, and people will laud you for it. In most 3rd world countries, being a pig is (rightly, imo) looked down on as being detrimental to the community.

As for the whole issue of capitalism "helping" Michael Moore. He raises some valid points about the attempts of people to try and block his films. Roger and Me had no financial support whatsoever, he had to scrap it together, same with Bowling for Columbine. Big Media tried to quash Fahrenheit 9/11 and Big Health tried to quash SiCKO. The latter two films only came out because he made enough money off Bowling to finance a great deal of the movies himself, and because there was a grassroots effort behind them.

As for him not being generous: http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/05/18/michael-moore-help-his-biggest-nemesis/

He is generous, he simply doesn't talk about it. He doesn't flaunt his humanitarian efforts like Angelina Jolie or Bono (the reason I hate these idiots).

As for how he dresses, did you ever consider maybe he just wears what he feels comfortable in.

Also, he directed Rage Against the Machine's music video for Calm Like a Bomb, the one on Wall Street, which was amazing, and before he was well-known, so that's win in my book.

-TheE-

Danical
10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I really liked Roger & Me when I saw it as a kid. However, it was obvious, even then, with the power of editing he can warp context as he sees fit and his arguments are so emotionally founded it's hard to take it seriously when you actually examine them.

The problem with Moore now is that the people seeing his movies are already of a similar mindset; he's preaching to the choir. His job as a documentary film maker is to portray a reasonably unbiased argument for or against something which he just hasn't done in years.

Also, he directed Rage Against the Machine's music video for Calm Like a Bomb, the one on Wall Street, which was amazing, and before he was well-known, so that's win in my book.
-TheE-

Calm Like a Bomb was fucking awesome but are you thinking of Sleep Now in the Fire?

CrystalTears
10-02-2009, 01:30 PM
So even though he brings up valid points, and does documentaries about things no one else does documentaries about (SiCKO came out years before the current health care debate), it's all about the money because he doesn't explain away every last nuance?Yes, it's called propaganda for his own agenda. If he was so interested in telling it like it is, he wouldn't leave out the other facts. It's very difficult to take someone seriously when all they want to do is prove how wrong you are and how right he is, even if it means lying about some of it.

3. Are you kidding? People risk coming to America because America is like fun-time happyland. You can be greedy here. You can think solely about yourself and the ones you love here. You can be a pig, and people will laud you for it. In most 3rd world countries, being a pig is (rightly, imo) looked down on as being detrimental to the community.Wow. To you having freedoms means being a pig. I don't even know what to say to that other than wow.

Keller
10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Calm Like a Bomb was fucking awesome but are you thinking of Sleep Now in the Fire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu67yo-3jfw

Danical
10-02-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu67yo-3jfw

I was trying to be nice about it!

LMingrone
10-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Never knew MM directed that, was a good video.

Respecting my sig:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYE_zPXbdU&feature=fvw

Parkbandit
10-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Michael Moore aside, he does bring up some valid points about how our current system of campaign funding allows the status quo to remain just that.

I actually agree with this premise.. I don't think it should be the candidate with the most money wins the most elections.. like it is now.

My point as the OP was that Michael Moore claims that capitalism never did anything for him... he is the epitome of the American capitalist system at work.

Keller
10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Now I will be listening to RATM and One Day as a Lion all day.

Tisket
10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
As for how he dresses, did you ever consider maybe he just wears what he feels comfortable in.

It is possible to dress comfortably without looking like a potato.

TheEschaton
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I did mean Sleep Now In the Fire, damn it, I feel like a bad RaTM fan.

pabstblueribbon
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
To pb, and my point was that you were more focused on his apparent hypocrisy than the issues he brings up :)

Parkbandit
10-02-2009, 05:11 PM
To pb, and my point was that you were more focused on his apparent hypocrisy than the issues he brings up :)

I see no apparent hypocrisy.. it's flat out there.

And the point of this thread wasn't to discuss the issues Michael Moore wants to "debate".. it was that he's literally a big, fat, hypocritical idiot.

Deathravin
10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Didn't read the rest of the topic...

But if you can, see if you can listen to the Howard Stern / Moore interview. I think it's quite a lot better. Stern gets to take a lot more time now that he's on satellite.

Oh... found it.
Part1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QrPUJhHMA0
Part2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxNjE_9ivg
Part3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_cZTCjWkeQ
Part4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPua1PkVZo
Part5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JNCe3jnf_w

I thought it was pretty good. Obviously Stern sucks him off, and Moore is still pretty douchie, but it's a much better interview than the CNN one I think. Stern tends to get people's true personality than the persona they put on.

He gets to go more into detail about 'capitalism'. One of the problems is he's redefined capitalism for himself, and assumes people understand what he means when he complains about it.

Warriorbird
10-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Hating on capitalism for money is genius. Pity the movie sucks. 'Roger and Me' is the only flick of his that I ever really enjoyed.

Gan
10-02-2009, 10:55 PM
And MM will make millions off of this film too.

Smart fellow.

Atlanteax
10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
http://cagle.com/working/091005/wells.jpg

crb
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
My aunt went to highschool with him, said he was a douche loser then too.

I love how because the most regulated, most government-intervened, section of our economy had a melt down capitalism and free markets failed!

And all the liberal goons who play at comparative healthcare across the world are idiots, or just purposefully disengenuous, or both (See Michael Moore). All their shit boils down to WHO rankings that are based on life expectancy. As if access to quality healthcare defines life expectancy.

Here, an article about it from the NYT, that conservative rag you know and love...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/science/22tier.html?_r=1

And on the same topic from forbes...
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0921/opinions-health-life-expectancy-on-my-mind.html

Socialized medicine is great for routine care, and preventative care. It sucks for things that can actually kill you.

TheEschaton
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Isn't the point that if you have better routine and preventative care, you less often get things that can kill you? The whole argument of the article in the NYT is that while the cost of our health care system is a problem, a part of the problem also exists in that Americans get sicker than Europeans, and die more in middle age. With a better preventative system, doesn't that automatically counteract that and boost the quality of health care?

I personally love it when conservatives read an article that says, "Hey, not only is X a problem, but Y is also a problem," and take from it, "HEY, IT'S Y THAT'S THE PROBLEM NOT X."

ElvenFury
10-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I personally love it when conservatives read an article that says, "Hey, not only is X a problem, but Y is also a problem," and take from it, "HEY, IT'S Y THAT'S THE PROBLEM NOT X."

Selective listening (or reading) is a problem that crosses all divides.

Atlanteax
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't people be more likely to follow-thru on preventative/routine health-care ... if ... it did not require insurance premiums up the wazoo?

I personally love it when liberals read a bill that says, "Doctor Visit, co-pay = $20" and think they made health-care affordable to all, not taking heed that the *plan/program* costs like $1000 a year (for said person).

Where instead, it could be "Doctor Visit = $100" 100% out-of-pocket, with the individual going 3x a year for $300 total.

And then it's the *individual's responsibility* to preserve that $700 for other medical expenses that year, or for future needs.

Celephais
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Selective listening (or reading) is a problem that crosses all divides.
HEY! It's selecting reading that's the problem, NOT selectinve listening!

Sean of the Thread
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/SuperNevetS/Douchebag.png

crb
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Isn't the point that if you have better routine and preventative care, you less often get things that can kill you? The whole argument of the article in the NYT is that while the cost of our health care system is a problem, a part of the problem also exists in that Americans get sicker than Europeans, and die more in middle age. With a better preventative system, doesn't that automatically counteract that and boost the quality of health care?

We get sicker because of lifestyle choices. Creating socialized healthcare is not going to make Big macs healthier, or guitar hero more calorie burning.

We also are 10x more likely to be murdered and significantly more likely to be killed in a car accident. All of which affect life expectancy. Making a single payer system is not going to reduce violent crime, nor magically change our highway driving road-tripping society.

You'll get no argument from me that we need to do better on healthy living and preventative care, none of which requires a trillion dollar healthcare bill. Especially a bill predicated on the notion that the quality of our healthcare is subpar and needs to be fixed because of some WHO longevity ranking.

Quite frankly, if you have a heart attack, stroke, cancer, kidney failure, or any other serious life threatening injury or disease, you really want to be in Miami, and not Cuba, at the time.