PDA

View Full Version : G-d Bless Judge Scalia

ClydeR
09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
From an interview of Judge Scalia in the Jewish newspaper Hamodia..

I have been here for a long time now - 23 years. In that time, I think the Court has become more receptive to the needs of religious practice. We have allowed government practices that favor religion, practices to which, in the 60s and 70s, we were quite hostile. Earlier we weren’t hostile. When I was in elementary school in Queens you were able to get out early on Wednesdays for religious instruction. In the early 1950s the ACLU challenged this as violating the Establishment Clause but William O. Douglas wrote an opinion that said, “We are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being… When the state encourages religious instruction or cooperates with religious authorities by adjusting the schedule of public events to sectarian needs, it follows the best of our traditions.”

A decade later the Court changed its mind and adopted the so-called principle of neutrality - which states that the government cannot favor religion over non-religion. This is not an accurate representation of what Americans believe. The Court itself has contradicted that principle a number of times - including the case approving tax exemptions for houses of worship (Walz v. Tax Commission) and cases approving paid chaplains in state and federal legislatures. More recently we have allowed the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the Texas State Legislature. I think we have been moving back towards what the American Constitution provided.

I am not sure how Orthodox Jews feel about the Establishment Clause, but I assume they do not like driving G-d out of public life. We had a monumental decision last term involving the Establishment Clause, which has been the principal instrument to that end. During the Kennedy administration, Congress passed a bill that gave federal aid to public and private schools. It was challenged by the ACLU, and the Supreme Court ultimately disallowed the aid to private schools. The case that allowed that suit to proceed, Flast v. Cohen, reversed a long-standing principle of law that there was no standing to challenge a law simply because you are a taxpayer. Flast v. Cohen says a taxpayer who is not personally affected has standing to challenge an alleged violation of the Establishment Clause. Last term we limited that holding to suits challenging congressional action. To challenge executive action on Establishment Clause grounds you must be personally affected.

More... (http://www.hamodia.com/inthepaper.cfm?ArticleID=370)

The same Congress that proposed the First Amendment and the Establishment Clause also directed George Washington to proclaim a day of Thanksgiving, and his first Thanksgiving invocation was deeply religious. It was very non-denominational but deeply religious, invoking G-d. And that is our tradition. Some people believe the Napoleonic way - what the French call le laicism and we call secularism - is the right way. If they want, they can get the people to vote for it. But that has never been our way, nor is it in the Constitution.

There is a quote attributed to various people from Bismarck down to Charles de Gaulle. I prefer to attribute it to Charles de Gaulle because it sounds like him.

“G-d protects,” he said, “little children, drunkards and the United States of America.” I think it may be true. And the reason may be because we honor Him as a nation. We invoke Him in our country, our Presidents invoke Him, my court open its sessions with “G-d save the United States.” Those things are not insignificant.

First, God bless Judge Scalia for speaking the truth. Our courts have changed the meaning of the Constitution and discriminated against Christians.

Second, why is "G-d" written that way in the article?

EasternBrand
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Second, why is "G-d" written that way in the article?

To take this at face value, the reason is because religious Judaism considers the oral or written use of God's name, when not as part of prayer, to be taboo. Thus, in study or conversation, religious Jews will often refer to God as "Hashem" (literally, "The Name") instead of, for example, "Adonai" (one of God's names). The dash in "G-d" is a sort of convention that religious Jews commonly employ in English to mention God without invoking his name.