PDA

View Full Version : This cracked me up

Drunken Durfin
09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Went to Add/Remove programs and attempted to remove Psinet Got this:

http://drunkendurfin.webs.com/psinetremoval.jpg

Seems that someone at Microshaft has a sense of humor.

Kuyuk
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
wouldnt it be that jamus has the sense of humor?

Drunken Durfin
09-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Not sure. The message was generated during an attempted Add/Remove from Control Panel.

Insodus
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Still would be the developer that wrote the uninstaller though.

Drunken Durfin
09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Easy way to find out...

Jamus, did you do that?

AnticorRifling
09-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Chances are it logged your passwords while you were chuckling at the message. We know his tricks :)

Alorn15
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Author aside, it may be lying to you. I got the message a few weeks ago - all my psinet stuff was still there, and I still had to scrub the registry. Thx uninstaller.

Drunken Durfin
09-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, in all the times I have ever used it, psinet has never uninstalled via point-n-click. Manual registry scrubbing is needed every time.

JamusPsi
11-26-2009, 08:54 PM
The message is indeed mine. The message that the windows installer would give you instead is significantly less useful (which is impressive).

Disclaimer: below is my own experience and understanding, which is almost certainly incomplete.

Windows installer packages require that you save data about what your installation did in a hash table which is automatically saved in a magic place inaccessible to everything but the windows installer. The windows installer service saves it after each action, and reloads it before each, providing it to your custom installer code. I use this table to store what your registry settings were before I modified them, so that I can revert them on uninstallation.

(I do this because the installer service is not guaranteed on every computer to run your uninstaller with access to files or the registry, or even not to delete those files or keys before giving you a chance to use them.)

The installer service apparently does not like when you update a program, particularly when you change the location of the installation between updates. When you do this, it sometimes develops amnesia about the installation, and the savedState hashtable fails to load.

Silently.

That message is what my code reports when this happens. It reports an uninstallation because otherwise there is no way to uninstall the program without another tool- which also does nothing but remove it from the installed programs list. I THINK I have developed a work-around for this bug in the latest beta version- so that even when this happens, PsiNet will guess at what it should revert things to.

Jamus