PDA

View Full Version : Chrism gem research

Lumi
09-22-2009, 03:38 AM
Some notes of interest from Estild tonight, in response to my chrism research:

- The experience retention effect of a chrism is based solely on the blesser's training in Spiritual Lore: Blessings. A base chrism provides 50% retention, while a chrism from a cleric with 65 ranks of Blessings provides 100% retention.

- The DS mitigation effect is based solely on the value of the gem used. This effect is not subject to critical thresholds; every bit of value contributes to this effect. So a 3000 silver gem (the cheapest capable of taking a chrism blessing) will have a certain degree of Death's Sting mitigation, while a 3100 silver gem will have a slightly higher degree of mitigation. A 10k gem will provide considerably more mitigation, an 11k gem more than that, a 12k even more than that, etc.

- For all intents and purposes, there is no cap on the DS mitigation effect of a chrism. The value of a gem that would provide 100% mitigation is far higher than any gem that exists in the game could possibly reach.

- The meditation effect of a chrism gem (WAVE the chrism at a non-cleric, non-empath, non-monk character, and it will allow them to enter a meditative state, like the aforementioned classes are intrinsically capable of) is based on a combination of the gem's intrinsic value AND the blessing cleric's Spiritual Lore: Religion ranks.

- The visual descriptor of the cobalt liquid inside a chrism gem ("ordinary", "bright", "vibrant", "glowing", etc.) indicates the strength of the chrism for purposes of meditation ONLY (the higher the "tier" of the descriptor, the longer the effect will last). It has no bearing on the experience retention or DS mitigation effects of that chrism.

- There is no way to determine the strength of the experience retention or DS mitigation effects by looking at a chrism. However, while a blessed gem can no longer be appraised in a gemshop, the value of the gem used CAN still be divined by loresong, which can in turn be used to approximate the degree of DS mitigation it will provide. The value can also be determined by APPRAISEing the gem if you have sufficient Trading ranks. There is no way, to my knowledge, to determine the strength of the experience retention effect at all.

The bottom line, as I see it is this:

1. It's easy to max out the experience retention effect: find a cleric with 65 ranks of Blessings to do it. This is the feature that people seem to care the most about.

2. It's impossible to "max out" the DS mitigation effect, one can make an educated guess about which gems will be most effective by paying attention to loresong value. I personally love being able to recover as fast as possible, but people seem to prioritize this feature of chrisms much lower than the previously mentioned one.

3. No one uses the meditation effect, so it doesn't matter. Most people don't even realize that chrisms are capable of doing this, and it would generally be considered a waste of a gem.

Hope this stuff is of interest and value to the clerical community. It's been very educational for me!

(Big thanks to Estild for answering so many questions on the subject tonight!)

Swami71
09-22-2009, 03:59 AM
- There is no way to determine the strength of the experience retention or DS mitigation effects by looking at a chrism. However, while a blessed gem can no longer be appraised in a gemshop, the value of the gem used CAN still be divined by loresong, which can in turn be used to approximate the degree of DS mitigation it will provide. There is no way, to my knowledge, to determine the strength of the experience retention effect at all.

If you have enough trading ranks they can still be appraised manually.

>app em
You peer intently at the uncut emerald as you turn it in your fingers, meticulously inspecting for flaws. You estimate that the uncut emerald is of average quality and worth approximately 4700 silvers.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>l em
The now translucent outer shell of the uncut emerald allows you to see the ordinary, cobalt liquid undulating.

Lumi
09-22-2009, 04:01 AM
If you have enough trading ranks they can still be appraised manually.

>app em
You peer intently at the uncut emerald as you turn it in your fingers, meticulously inspecting for flaws. You estimate that the uncut emerald is of average quality and worth approximately 4700 silvers.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>l em
The now translucent outer shell of the uncut emerald allows you to see the ordinary, cobalt liquid undulating.

Ah, good catch. I'll update that.

elcidcannon
09-22-2009, 04:45 AM
great info! I think that was the jist most people had, but its good to know there's a GM backing it up

Lumi
09-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Yah, most of it was known info, but some was new (to me, at least). The biggest surprise was the scaling, uncapped progression of DS mitigation, and the fact that the interior descriptor was unrelated to that feature.

Required a slight modification of the way I advertise the chrisms in my shop, but all in all it's a good thing, for me. Means that purification has a very relevant, and continuous, benefit for chrisms. :)

Durgrimst
09-22-2009, 05:46 AM
This might be good to add to the Krakiipedia page if anyone looking at this is able to throw that up there.

Danical
09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
rofl @ meditation.

EXP BABY!

Durgrimst
09-22-2009, 06:10 AM
RP BABY!

^

Danical
09-22-2009, 06:16 AM
^

2x :rofl:z

Lumi
09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
This might be good to add to the Krakiipedia page if anyone looking at this is able to throw that up there.

I would love to add this to KP, but I am not an editor there :(

Lumi
03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Chrism gems, crafted via Holy Receptacle (325, tier 4), have had their LOOK descriptions updated to reveal additional information about their benefits. Previously, the luminescent factor of the cobalt liquid inside the gem would provide hints as to how powerful the benefit was when used to grant another character the ability to meditate. However, chrism gems are rarely used for this purpose, so it now provides hints as to how much statistic recovery weakness will be mitigated when used on a corpse. The benefit would previously cap with a gem valued at 8,000 silver, but this cap has been removed. In addition, you can now tell how much experience retention will be provided by the gem by measuring the amount of liquid inside. Here is an example of the update:

The now translucent outer shell of the <almost full> uncut emerald allows you to see the <vibrant> cobalt liquid inside undulating.

Additional details about Chrism can be found at http://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/receptacle.asp.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

<<Is this retroactive? Or is it only for any new chrism gems made from now on?>>

It's retroactive. I just checked my chrisms that had already been made.

Gretchen

NOVAESKYE
How come you [Estild] didn't state that we couldn't get to it because of a cap?

I only recently became aware of the cap, but as noted in my original statement, it's largely moot since you can't technically reach the minimum. Removing the cap will provide increased mitigation for gems valued between 8-12k (or whatever the highest valued gem a player has found is).

NOVAESKYE
Is glowing the highest message tier?

Yes.

A bit more useful chrism info from Estild.

ETA:

SILVERPHOENIX21
Loresinging still affects this, right? If a 10k gem is sung up to 15k, it's worth more than an unsung gem of the same base value (10k), right?

Yes.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Lumi
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM
And one more bit:

NOVAESKYE
It was mentioned that religion lore affected the meditation side of the chrism, but can it also affect the stat mitigation side?

No, only gem value determines the stat mitigation. Also, just as a side note, players probably won't ever encounter "glowing" with normal treasure gems, since it's going to require a gem valued at over 20k.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

(thanks for reminding me to update this, Asrial :))