PDA

View Full Version : Smile abuse.

Betheny
03-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I think this speaks for itself.

>
Mesmari sighs.
>
Mesmari smiles and holds sign over her head that reads "Empath Below!"!
>
Mesmari softly asks, "Like my new sign?"

Discuss.

Artha
03-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Mesmari should be destroyed.

Betheny
03-06-2004, 10:32 PM
There's nothing I find more annoying than cutesy shit like that.

Bobmuhthol
03-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm guilty of it when I'm with people that either don't care or suck at roleplaying anyway so I piss them off.

The only one I do is:
>smile at you.
>Bobmuhthol smiles at you.

And then 45237589428 people either smile/blink/glance/glare/squint/etc.

Pierat
03-06-2004, 11:12 PM
its not "abuse" since we have the ACT verb, technically theres nothing wrong per say about it, however that doesnt mean it isnt annoying as hell

Bobmuhthol
03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
There is something wrong about it per se.

The character doesn't have a sign and it's stupid.

TheEschaton
03-06-2004, 11:26 PM
IT is abuse, because it is forcing your character to be literate, and read the sign. Believe me, I've had this conversation before.

The one time I played in Plat, I played a mute bard (he expressed himself through instruments) who used to use charcoal from the kobold mines to draw rudimentary pictures on the ground, since he couldn't assume everyone knew how to read, let alone read giantkin.

That being said, all smiles which force assumptions should earn a Balouga-like bolt from the sky through their ears. I would like the function of smile, if we could use it with frown as well, since my characters don't really smile.

-TheE-

Betheny
03-06-2004, 11:41 PM
I like TheE. You made my point.

Scott
03-07-2004, 12:07 AM
<<<<IT is abuse, because it is forcing your character to be literate, and read the sign. Believe me, I've had this conversation before. >>>>

So all items which have writing on them should also be removed. Not that I don't agree or anything, but that's kind of taking things a little far. The only problem I see with that is that she doesn't have a sign.

EDITED:

The point I'm trying to make is Gemstone isn't set up for deaf people or illiterate people. If you want to play those types of characters, you have to deal with certain things. If I wanted to play a deaf warrior, everytime someone said something, I would be forced to hear it.

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Gemstone101]

TheEschaton
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
A line has to be drawn somewhere. I have an elf who doesn't "understand" common, though everyone can technically understand it.

He just hears people speaking in gibberish.

Technically, I guess you can do the same for signs, but that would involve blank staring at the person with said sign, and furrowed brows, and all that.

-TheE-

Kitsun
03-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Har. I had my own signs made up for occasions like that...nothing so detailed or I'd never fit them into conversation but general enough to fit.

Methais
03-07-2004, 01:04 PM
<<Mesmari smiles and holds sign over her head that reads "Empath Below!"!
>
Mesmari softly asks, "Like my new sign?">>

Methais smiles as he tells Mesmari, "No I think it's gay and so are you.", then takes the sign out of her hands, smashes it to pieces over her head and then jabs the last sharp piece through her eyeball.

StrayRogue
03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
lol

Zeyrin
03-07-2004, 01:36 PM
I think it should be a law to allow flogging of smile abusers.

Myshel
03-07-2004, 01:38 PM
When Myshel is introduced to someone she smiles and drops into a graceful curtsy. Is anything wrong with that or is a lightning bolt going to incinerate my eye?

Artha
03-07-2004, 01:39 PM
That's fine.

Bobmuhthol
03-07-2004, 01:39 PM
OMG U R FORCING ME 2 BELEV UR KERTZE IZ JRASFULL DATZ DUM

Myshel
03-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
OMG U R FORCING ME 2 BELEV UR KERTZE IZ JRASFULL DATZ DUM

You make me laugh Bob. My kertze is very graceful and I like it to be low so a little cleavage is shown.:saint:

edited cause I can't spell.

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Myshel]

CrystalTears
03-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
IT is abuse, because it is forcing your character to be literate, and read the sign. Believe me, I've had this conversation before.

No it's abuse because she's using the smile to create an object she doesn't have.

Iliterate, deaf and blind people are exceptions to the norm. If your character can't read, then they can't read, it doesn't negate the fact that the sign exists. You just have to roleplay that you can't read, and that's it. The game shouldn't revolve around a select few to make their life easier because they chose a harder roleplaying path. That's just the way it is.

Zeyrin
03-07-2004, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't call that abuse. Something like.....

>smile as he holds up his make love not war sign to the invading force.

That deserves a lightning bolt.

Bobmuhthol
03-07-2004, 01:50 PM
>smile and you proceed to die. HAHAHAH YOU LOSE YOU LOSE.
Bobmuhthol smiles and you proceed to die. HAHAHAH YOU LOSE YOU LOSE.
>smile and holds up a sign that says. "HEY GUYS I AM MESMARI AND THAT MEANS I AM SOOOOO GAY."
Bobmuhthol smiles and holds up a sign that says. "HEY GUYS I AM MESMARI AND THAT MEANS I AM SOOOOO GAY."
>smile while laughing at how hilarious this is. To the PC he goes.
Bobmuhthol smiles while laughing at how hilarious this is. To the PC he goes.
>

Methais
03-07-2004, 02:05 PM
<<My kertze is very graceful and I like it to be low so a little cleavage is shown.>>

Just flash 'em next time. If you find the right nerd, he'll probably proceed to spend millions of silvers buying items for you with hopes that you'll fly out to his "apartment" (conveniently located in his parents' basement) so he can get laid and finally lose his virginity at the young age of 37.

Edited cause I like to see edit messages.

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Methais]

Myshel
03-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Methais
<<My kertze is very graceful and I like it to be low so a little cleavage is shown.>>

Just flash 'em next time. If you find the right nerd, he'll probably proceed to spend millions of silvers buying items for you with hopes that you'll fly out to his "apartment" (conveniently located in his parents' basement) so he can get laid and finally lose his virginity at the young age of 37.

Edited cause I like to see edit messages.

Geeze I'll see if I can fix you up with a flasher Methais.

Since you like the edit thing..
Does it have to be male for you?:yawn:

You know I was going to make a joke of this attack and leave it but you really pissed me off. Ardwen and Myshel have been together for many different lifes in GS for the past 8 years. Before he was mega rich. Anyone who really knows us, knows this, we care about each other ig and rl as good friends. I will not comment on his personal life that is his perogative, but I will say you know not of what you speak. Besides all of that, jealousy makes you a jackass.

Adhara
03-07-2004, 03:01 PM
My problem with the above mention of the smile verb is not the action included in it. If said action can be done with the verb act, then why not smile?

No, my problem is with the sign being created with this action and still existing at the end of the action. If the action included waving the sign and then putting it away I would have no problem with this. In this case, the sign was not put away which means that when you look at her, you should see a sign in her hands and, obviously, you won't.

Methais
03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
<<You know I was going to make a joke of this attack and leave it but you really pissed me off. Ardwen and Myshel have been together for many different lifes in GS for the past 8 years. Before he was mega rich. Anyone who really knows us, knows this, we care about each other ig and rl as good friends. I will not comment on his personal life that is his perogative, but I will say you know not of what you speak. Besides all of that, jealousy makes you a jackass.>>

What in the blue hell are you talking about? My post had nothing to do with you, Ardwen, or anyone in particular. It was a general joke about some of the superdorks that play this game (like Klaive for example). I've known Ardwen for a long time and have nothing against him, and...oh well fuck it, I think I got the point across that I wasn't posting about anybody in particular.

As far as you and Ardwen being together or whatever, I had no knowledge of this, so don't go assuming things, cause you might just end up with your foot in your mouth.

I've known Ardwen a long time and hold him in high regard, so if you're somehow thinking I was referring to him or something, please let me know how that foot tastes that you just stuck in your moutn.

I'm starting to think we're on the official boards here. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill

And once more just to clarify:

MY JOKE WASN'T AIMED AT ANYBODY IN PARTICULAR!

Some people just get all worked up over nothing.

Mint
03-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Has anyone else seen that character with the really long hair who either uses the act or smile verb to constantly get her hair caught in items she is wearing? For instance:

So and so smiles and curtsies, her long hair catching in her armor and bringing tears of pain to her beautiful eyes.

This is not an actual one but it is close to some she uses. Anyway, she needs a haircut for sure.

StrayRogue
03-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Mint
Has anyone else seen that character with the really long hair who either uses the act or smile verb to constantly get her hair caught in items she is wearing? For instance:

So and so smiles and curtsies, her long hair catching in her armor and bringing tears of pain to her beautiful eyes.

This is not an actual one but it is close to some she uses. Anyway, she needs a haircut for sure.

Moonia or Moondia or something. Personally, I think how she does it is great. As long as it doesn't force an opinion or an action on someone else, nor use an item she does not have in her possession, its fine.

Artha
03-07-2004, 03:33 PM
If my hair constantly got caught on/in stuff, I'd cut it. Hell, I shaved it (and kept it shaved) for about a year because I was tired of waking up with it all over my face.

Mint
03-07-2004, 03:54 PM
[quoteOriginally posted by StrayRogue
Moonia or Moondia or something. Personally, I think how she does it is great. As long as it doesn't force an opinion or an action on someone else, nor use an item she does not have in her possession, its fine. [/quote]

I object to being forced to 'think' someones eyes or hair are beautiful. It's bad enough looking at someone that forces that kind of subjective opinion on me. Otherwise she is rather entertaining although I do want to scream: BUY SCISSORS!

edited to change objective to subjective DOH.

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Mint]

Adhara
03-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Moondia's action with the hair is acceptable to me in terms of how she uses the action but it gets on my nerves and makes me roll my eyes because as pointed out above, if your axe gets caught in your hair a few times, an intelligent being eventually would take measures to make sure it won't happen again.

If this was originally a good idea, it's by now way overused and I would be in favor of something new!

Bobmuhthol
03-07-2004, 04:23 PM
<<So and so smiles and curtsies, her long hair catching in her armor and bringing tears of pain to her beautiful eyes.>>

It's much longer. She script heals, and I'm assuming also in her script is the action. It's like 3-4 lines long on size 8 MS Sans Serif, I can't imagine what it would be like with Fixedsys. And she does it every time she heals. Plus when she heals, she does it for at least an hour.

Caiylania
03-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Today I saw someone named Foxs who used smile, it was really long about her hair but the ending kinda pissed me off....

Foxs blahblahblahblahbla for 4 lines then....... making her eyes look seductive and demonlike(??) at the sametime. You end up staring into her eyes entrapped by blah blah blah

Needless to say that's not the actual one (I don't remember now) but when I whispered to her I didn't like how her smile made Caiy react to her eyes she ignored me

Which sucks because she had been running through the area and pulling me up everytime I was flat on my face from trying to tackle.

Don't tell me how to feel! AND REALLY DON'T tell me that I'm entrapped, bequiled, etc....... UGH.

Solkern
03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
The smile verb should be changed or if someone abuses it greatly, they shuld be killed repeatly

Artha
03-07-2004, 07:14 PM
They should just allow "(S)He abused the smile verb" as a legit excuse for murder.

Solkern
03-07-2004, 07:18 PM
yeah that would be badass, you kill someone, you get pulled up GM goes "why did you kill him?"
You go "he abused the smile verb"
GM goes "sorry to bother you, have a good day."

Artha
03-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Then, about 5 minutes later.

You take a deep breath. It is good to be alive, and an adventurer in these lands.

Solkern
03-07-2004, 07:20 PM
HAHAHAHA for sureness!

Methais
03-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Ask Moondia for a tarot reading sometime. She probably scripts it by now, but it's still well done if you ask me.

Myshel
03-07-2004, 09:25 PM

MY JOKE WASN'T AIMED AT ANYBODY IN PARTICULAR!

Some people just get all worked up over nothing.

I sincerely apologize for taking your comments personally. I know you and Ardwen are friends, I don't wish to cause any problems between you two.:(

Methais
03-08-2004, 04:15 AM
:)

Shalla
03-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Maimara

>
Mesmari sighs.
>
Mesmari smiles and holds sign over her head that reads "Empath Below!"!
>
Mesmari softly asks, "Like my new sign?"

Reply with.

Maimara smiles , then suddenly grabs Mesmari's sign and beats her senseless.

She can't complain when there's no sign to begin with.

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Lady Shalla]

Galleazzo
03-08-2004, 12:56 PM
> smile and giggles before casting Dark Catalyst on Mesmari, whipping it out, and letting fly over her corpse!

Methais
03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Methais smiles as a naked Japanese girl shows up, lies down in front of Mesmari and does her best tubgirl impression all over Mesmari.

Fallen
03-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Today I saw someone named Foxs who used smile, it was really long about her hair but the ending kinda pissed me off....

Foxs blahblahblahblahbla for 4 lines then....... making her eyes look seductive and demonlike(??) at the sametime. You end up staring into her eyes entrapped by blah blah blah>>

Report it, I would.

I am a huge fan of the act verb and use it constantly.

As others have stated, some good rules of thumb are:

1. Dont tell others how your actions make them feel IE ALL FUCKING INSTRUMENTS.

2. Dont touch or manipulate other characters without their permission.

3. (opinion) dont create objects you don't already have in your possession.

Anyone have rules/guidelines they would add?

Galleazzo
03-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah.

5) Any character named Foxs, Mesmari or Kadesha must participate in orc hentai once a week until they reroll.

Caramia
03-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Moondia, Moonrani, or whatever her name is makes my eyes roll too, Adhara, mostly because I watched her one night repeat that smile, along with two other similar ones, all 3-4 lines long, over an hour... and I was ready to scream "Enough already! How about roleplaying it instead, you stupid git?"

Foxs should be reported often, for her stupid smiles and her acts, which do try to tell you how to feel. Then again, both she and her other character have had this thing about dark elves rising up, with her as Queen, to do her biding and rage war on Elanthia. I wouldn't follow her to the nearest latrine, except to watch her slip and fall.

As for curtsying and cleavage, Sweetpeas used to make my teeth set on edge when she'd be standing on the Hearthstone steps and curtsying to EVERY man there or that walked by, with something like "Sweetpeas smiles at you as she moves into deep curtsy, revealing quite a bit of her cleavage." Oh, and then there was Prncess! She used to do this whole smile thing about holding up a banner and doing something for kisses or some such thing. I can't recall exactly, but it was about 5 lines long and sickly sweet.

Caramia
03-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Ugh... not really a smile abuse, but it does get old after seeing it more than twice, and seeing five variations on a theme.

(Moondia waves, catching her hair in her ring. With each wave she yanks out more hair and her eyes are beginning to water...)
>
Moondia holds back her tears, her eyes glistening with pain.

Blech. Let's see, that's her axe, her ring, and her fingers... shouldn't she be balding now? Or have a couple of mangy patches where she snarled and pulled out her hair?

[Edited on 3/14/2004 by Caramia]

Galleazzo
03-15-2004, 11:17 AM
> Galleazzo smiles as a mangy horny dog walks up to Moondia, sniffs her, wrinkles its nose, and goes off to hump a rolton instead

CrystalTears
03-15-2004, 11:42 AM
I thought Moondia's actions were cute.. up until she started doing them all the time and THEN her cleric character started doing it too. That has to be the clumsiest set of girls I've ever seen that can't control their hair ever. :D

Amaron
03-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Question about this:

What about babies....

One of my girls just had a baby IG.

She has a baby blanket that she holds.

I use the act and smiles verbs to rock it and make cooing noises and all the other babyish things....

example.

J smiles at the wiggling bundle she is holding.

act J leans down and rubs noses with the small baby in her arms.

etc...

I know some folks consider babies bad rp... but thats for another thread I am going to start.... :)

J

[Edited on 3-15-2004 by Amaron]

Methais
03-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Doesn't bother me, unless it'd be something like:

J puts a baby blanket in her cloak.

J goes off to kill big mean terrible drooling monsters with a baby stuffed in her cloak.

Amaron
03-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Doesn't bother me, unless it'd be something like:

J puts a baby blanket in her cloak.

J goes off to kill big mean terrible drooling monsters with a baby stuffed in her cloak.

ACK!!! no way... geesh

I have a nanny on a second account... when she is not with the baby, nanny or the father have her....

I hate that too...

J

Galleazzo
03-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Anyone got a problem with RPing a baby needs to be kicked upside the head. It's freaking RP.

Amaron
03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
Anyone got a problem with RPing a baby needs to be kicked upside the head. It's freaking RP.

I was whispered to the other night that I was abusing the smile and act verbs as there wasnt really a baby in my blanket and I was making them think there was..

Then I saw this thread and figured to ask.

J

CrystalTears
03-15-2004, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't say anything to anyone in the game. If that's what they wanna do, have at it and enjoy. It doesn't mean that I as the player is gonna like it. :P

Why is a sign not okay but a baby is, both being roleplayed and both creating fake objects in a smile/act?

[Edited on 3/15/2004 by CrystalTears]

ElanthianSiren
03-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I thought it was common sense that if you were going to RP with a prop... to at least have the prop? I mean, even a long long time ago, I used to RP that my PC had a lot of trouble with common, so she would draw pictures like another mentioned if she couldn't convey something, but she always had the drawing surface and the tool or whatever.

Since someone else brought this up, I also used to RP her as illiterate... Her ex husband used to read the signs and stuff to her at merchant tents. Anyway, one day, I was RPing her asking him to read something, and in a merchant tent, a bunch of folks whispered, "You don't have to read it, just LOOK at it." then the GM running the event whispered, "You don't READ it... just LOOK at it." Signs, either player made or GM made can be abused and make your RP environment less than fun.

Personally, I rely heavily on the ACT command for my RP, but it's mostly because I came from BBS and Free Forum RP that was written strictly in past perfect third-person and because I write novels. I haven't heard any complaints yet. Perhaps I'll start up classes or write a guide or something :p

-Melissa

[Edited on Mon, March th, 2004 by ElanthianSiren]

AnticorRifling
03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
If someone is trying to RP as to having an object that doesn't exist I just to hold it or have them show it to me.

'Can I hold your xxxx?

'No.

'Can you show it to me then?

'No.

'Is that because you're a freaking loon or a dullard and you need to be locked away?

'No.

I keep this up until they lose their cool or move on. I don't need a whack job sitting in front of me feeding a pink sea cow some ice cream while it rolls around and sings "Ode to that lump of green slimy putty I found under my armpit one mid summer's morn"

Iriscience
03-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by a bunch of petty losers
this whole thread

Who the fuck cares how someone else uses a verb? Just ignore them if you dont like it.

CrystalTears
03-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Because if they are playing wrong, it screws it up for the rest of us. I'm allowed to vent here about it if I want to because I give people their right to roleplay any old way they want in the game. However I get tired of being told to ignore the goobers who play wrong. So I'll let them know here so they fix it there.

Don't like complaints, don't read the complaints folder. :bleh:

Caramia
03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
The minute you put your baby or the baby blanket in your cloak to go hunting, or take it out when you're done, I'm done with your baby RP, too.

So, if you're going to RP having a baby, at least never put it away or take it out where people can see you doing it.

Amaron
03-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Caramia
The minute you put your baby or the baby blanket in your cloak to go hunting, or take it out when you're done, I'm done with your baby RP, too.

So, if you're going to RP having a baby, at least never put it away or take it out where people can see you doing it.

I never put it in my cloak.... I pass it off to the nanny, a character on a second account .. or her IG mate...

For me the blanket represents the baby...
When someone asks to hold her I pass the blanket...

I have had lots of neat rp with this. And only that one negative reaction....

I was just curious on your thoughts..

Thanks for the imput.

J

Fallen
03-16-2004, 01:14 PM
So...If a sorcerer clumbsy cursed you, then opened a void...

Methais
03-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Dead baby.

AnticorRifling
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
You hand me a blanket and I look inside and see no baby and say so then how do you explain it?

This represents my baby RP it as such.

This is a blanket.

No, no. It's my baby.

You're baby is made out of wool. Have you been having an affair with Barumples?

It's not wool it's a baby.

But it's a blanket.

repeat.

CrystalTears
03-16-2004, 03:51 PM
They would want you to go along with the RP, Anticor. :P

Caiylania
03-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I know I saw a 'small baby human' for sale in the pawn right next to a 'comical red warrior'

Maybe get something like that? Dolls without 'doll' or 'toy' in the description.

Wezas
03-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

He's took RPing in it's simplest form and makes it great.

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
There's no conceiving in GS, why the hell do you think we all came from the turnip farm and not TSC?

If you disagree with this point, you'll definitely agree with the next: You're retarded for roleplaying pregnancy, motherhood, family in any way, shape, or form.

Galleazzo
03-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Geez, Anticor, if you'd rather not RP, just play chess or something.

Methais
03-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
You hand me a blanket and I look inside and see no baby and say so then how do you explain it?

This represents my baby RP it as such.

This is a blanket.

No, no. It's my baby.

It's not wool it's a baby.

But it's a blanket.

repeat.

If they pulled it off properly, I don't think it would kill you to go along with it.

I can't help but wonder why Aellen ever put all that baby equipment in her boutique in the first place though.

I can't count how many times I've seen a new character all decked out in baby equipment from Aellen's old boutique, baby bonnets and whatever else was sold there I can't remember. Anyway they'd be all decked out trying to RP as so-and-so couple's baby, yet when you look at them they appear to be in their 20's.

And what kind of baby clothing would fit on a Giantman anyway? But in Simu's defense, they don't sell that garbage anymore (at least in the boutique), so maybe they realized that too.

[Edited on 3-16-2004 by Methais]

AnticorRifling
03-16-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm just not a fan of RP'ing having a baby for the same reason Bob listed. I can understand telling me your history and where you were born, came from, grew up, etc. But telling me you have a baby in your arms just doesn't fly with me. If you pull it off great, good for ya. Just don't expect me to react to it. Chances are I will be the nice guy and just walk away though. Heaven forbid I hurt someone's feelings.

CrystalTears
03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
No one answered my question. <sniffs>

Why is it not okay to roleplay that you have a sign, but it's okay to roleplay that you have a child in your arms? In both cases, you're acting out that you have an object that you really don't have.

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2004, 06:25 PM
<<Why is it not okay to roleplay that you have a sign, but it's okay to roleplay that you have a child in your arms?>>

It's my opinion that it's not okay to roleplay anything out of Simu's command database simply for the facts that:

1. The act verb causes parenthese action which is very dumb.
2. People are always there to complain about its inconsistencies. I'm one of them.
3. Take your 1337 roleplaying skills to an actual roleplaying game if you feel like having a child. There's so much about GS that screams out-of-character information. Be a GM and change it, or stfu and leave.

CrystalTears
03-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Heh. I was asking more for those who responded to the SMILE with the sign as being a bad roleplayer and then turn around and tell the people who won't acknowledge the baby as not being a roleplayer. That just sounded hypocritical to me. Why, because it's a baby? C'mon.

Artha
03-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Why is it not okay to roleplay that you have a sign...

It's not.

CrystalTears
03-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Buh, I know it's not. Don't cut off my sentence! :P

Answer the rest of it. Why are some saying it's okay to roleplay a baby?

[Edited on 3/16/2004 by CrystalTears]

DaMaGe
03-16-2004, 06:35 PM

3. Take your 1337 roleplaying skills to an actual roleplaying game...

Any suggestions? Really.

-Adam

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
D&D is always a good place to start.

DaMaGe
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
CT, I'd assume it's because using the smile command to wave a sign that's not there is harder to swallow than an actual baby blanket that may or may not have a baby in it.

-Adam

DaMaGe
03-16-2004, 06:39 PM
I was thinking more of online RPG's, Bob.

I haven't played D&D in years; I doubt I could even find enough players for it anymore.

-Adam

CrystalTears
03-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Mentioning D&D reminded me of a time that we played a game and one of the players wanted to have her character pregnant. The DM yelled, "I know you're a girl but do you have to play such a huge one too?! No babies in my game damnit!" :D

Personally I'm not really sure what the fascination is with roleplaying a pregnancy. I fear my real one, I wouldn't want to portray one. I did it once though, and it was mostly to play along with Songie because she turned her fertility ring in my direction and I got pregnant. However I roleplayed that she lost the baby due to her abundant deaths while hunting because I was just NOT having fun roleplaying the pregnancy at all.

[Edited on 3/16/2004 by CrystalTears]

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Shadows of Isildur is good.

Only I don't play it because I don't care for playing a game for the sole purpose of roleplaying.

Artha
03-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Why are some saying it's okay to roleplay a baby?

They're silly.

Methais
03-17-2004, 01:48 AM
<<You're retarded for roleplaying pregnancy, motherhood, family in any way, shape, or form.>>

[Voln : Haashek] good evening everyone, HUGE hugs to all my super kids grandkids & great grandkids & da rest of me wonderful family!

AnticorRifling
03-17-2004, 08:14 AM
<<You're retarded for roleplaying pregnancy, motherhood, family in any way, shape, or form.>>

[Voln : Haashek] good evening everyone, HUGE hugs to all my super kids grandkids & great grandkids & da rest of me wonderful family!

Eat a brick.

Amaron
03-17-2004, 11:35 AM

If you disagree with this point, you'll definitely agree with the next: You're retarded for roleplaying pregnancy, motherhood, family in any way, shape, or form.

Bob thanks for you intelligent input...

I am going to keep rping with my baby... it has been fun so far...

So ignore me or go along with it.... won't hurt my feelings...

I feel rping it out is better than saying I just had a kid and prancing about a 32 year old character saying this is the kid I had yesterday...

Thats my pet peeve...

Have a great day.

J

Bobmuhthol
03-17-2004, 11:37 AM
My pet peeve is people who are retarded. :shrug:

Amaron
03-17-2004, 11:52 AM
My pet peeve is people who are retarded. :shrug:

Mine too Bob. So glad we agree.

I just do not think we agree on what's retarded and what isn't. ;)

But that's ok....

Have a great day. I sure am... 2 hr delay for school made my morning.

J

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by Amaron]

Methais
03-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Don't mind Bob, he's not right in the head.

Galleazzo
03-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol Take your 1337 roleplaying skills to an actual roleplaying game if you feel like having a child. There's so much about GS that screams out-of-character information. Be a GM and change it, or stfu and leave.
Screw off. Some of us think this is a roleplaying game.

CrystalTears
03-18-2004, 11:00 AM
But the baby isn't real. It never will be. That aspect will always bother me that people will yell at the person creating a sign with an ACT, but that the baby is a-ok. Nope, it ain't.

longshot
03-18-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm a kobold.

No, seriously!!

I'm a kobold!

HouseofElves
04-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
But the baby isn't real. It never will be. That aspect will always bother me that people will yell at the person creating a sign with an ACT, but that the baby is a-ok. Nope, it ain't.

Totally agree. I've seen the alter of said "baby" and I can't believe someone made it. If you want to invite people to a special place to interact with said baby that's fine. But dont' walk around the town and flaunt "this is my baby", because to me the "precious cargo" inside could be the Elanthian equivalent to crack.

I can understand if you want to RP as your character having a child, I know that it's something you might have stuck with and feel strongly about, but to have this object that in truth can be taken from you and destroyed if the right person came along is hardly a good idea.

Betheny
04-25-2004, 12:24 PM
I would seriously shove a dagger through the "baby's" skull to get rid of it, if someone showed it to me in the public. Or I'd nab it and feed it to a rolton or something. I mean, seriously, what kind of a responsible parent would bring an infant out into the middle of a town where thieves, murderers, etc are rampant?

A bad parent. And bad parents don't deserve to have children.

WOOT

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating violence against children, I'm saying in Gemstone this is how I'd react.

Methais
04-25-2004, 04:26 PM
<<because to me the "precious cargo" inside could be the Elanthian equivalent to crack.>>

Which can occasionally be found on Teras Isle in those opalescent orbs that come from wasp nests (not the reticulated ones). Break em open with a dagger, then sniff em. Funny shit, try it out if you happen to come across one.

HouseofElves
04-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Suddenly I have a reason to take one of my characters to Teras, thanks Methais!:spaz:

Methais
04-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Good luck killing the nests these days though.

Drew2
04-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Svardin = worst smile/act abuser ever to exist IN ALL OF CREATION.

Thx.

HouseofElves
04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I think Foxs might be a close second with her uber hypnotic eyes and braids of ancient Faendryl royalty....mmmkkay?

FinisWolf
04-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by HouseofElves
I think Foxs might be a close second with her uber hypnotic eyes and braids of ancient Faendryl royalty....mmmkkay?

... braids of ancient BS?

How and the hell would my char now they were ancient? Answer: He wouldn't!

By the gods, please tell me this is not an actual physical alteration!

Finiswolf

Galleazzo
04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
I dunno, maybe she pillaged a tomb and cut off the mummy;s hair or some shit like that.

Aeraelena
01-23-2005, 07:30 PM
It's not out of Genre, and if it's annoying to you personally, and you say anything about it, you're being a hypocrite for letting it bother you OOG. If some people do cute stuff or seemingly stupid stuff like that.. then that's their call. And if it annoys your character, but it annoys your character. But it's not like she held out her arms and zoomed around like an airplane- THAT would be something to complain about.

Seriously- not everyone Roleplays in the same style- and past a certain point, it's not right for only certain people to say what a RIGHT way to roleplay is. I mean for god's sakes, we don't need Facist Nazi Roleplayers who are watching and taking notes on everyone else.

</end mini-rant>

Skeeter
01-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Holy fuck why would you bump this long long dead thread?

Plz :stfu:

The Cat In The Hat
01-23-2005, 09:25 PM
She was likely mentioned in it...

Divinity
01-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I just walked into TSC. This was in the span of a 43 seconds. Yes. I counted because I wanted to see when she would stop.

Thelena just arrived.
>
Moondia begins an incantation, her hands weaving a complicated spell in the air. Intent on her spellcasting, she fails to notice as her fingers tangle in her tresses until sparks and motes of light shoot away from her fingers, spinning in midair. She tugs frantically at her hair, freeing her fingers, and finally succeeds in preparing the spell.
>
Braithom just handed Grazencia some coins.
>
Moondia gestures.
Moondia's abdomen looks better.
>
Thelena sits down.
>
Grazencia murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Grazencia concentrates.
Grazencia's right arm looks better.
>
Zaaf smiles at Thelena.
>
Zanns asks, "Could someone help me with some minor healing please?"
>
Moondia begins an incantation, her hands weaving a complicated spell in the air. Intent on her spellcasting, she fails to notice as her fingers tangle in her tresses until sparks and motes of light shoot away from her fingers, spinning in midair. She tugs frantically at her hair, freeing her fingers, and finally succeeds in preparing the spell.
>
Moondia gestures.
Moondia's back looks better.
>
Cyanthalas picks up some aloeas stem.
>
Zaaf smiles at Kaeynne.
>whisper zaaf Greetings, Zaaf.
>
Kardaar's group just arrived.
>
You quietly whisper to Zaaf, "Greetings, Zaaf."
>
Grazencia murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Kardaar's group just went west.
>
Thelena nods to Zanns.
>
Moondia gestures.
Moondia's right eye looks better.
>
Grazencia concentrates.
Grazencia's chest looks better.
>
Cyanthalas takes a bite of his aloeas stem.
Cyanthalas makes a horrible face!
>
>
Zanns rubs a crystal amulet.
Zanns gets an odd look on his face.
>
Thelena meditates over Zanns.
Thelena takes Zanns's right hand damage.
>
Moondia gestures.
Moondia's left eye looks better.
>
As Zanns pulls on his crystal amulet, his expression grows darker.
>
Thelena takes Zanns's left arm damage.
>
Nothing happens.
>
>
Zanns exclaims, "Thanks!"
>
Moondia gestures.
>
Cyanthalas drops some aloeas stem.
>
Misnomer just arrived.
>
Thelena murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>squint moond
You squint at Moondia.
>
Zanns just handed Thelena some coins.
>
Zaaf meditates over Moondia.
Zaaf takes Moondia's head damage.
>
Jaurri asks, "Any healer available, please?"
>
Thelena concentrates.
Thelena's left arm looks better.
>
Misnomer traces a series of glowing runes while chanting an arcane phrase...
>
Misnomer gestures.
A bright glow forms around Misnomer's broadsword for a moment, then seems to seep into the weapon, giving it an inner glow.
>
Zaaf meditates over Moondia.
Zaaf takes Moondia's neck damage.
>
>
Moondia gestures.
>
Zaaf murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
Zaaf gestures.
Zaaf's head looks better.
>
Misnomer put a broadsword in his chambray sheath.
>
Thelena sweetly exclaims, "Thanks!"
>
Scymon just arrived.
>
Scymon just went west.
>
Moondia glances at you.
>
Thelena murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Zaaf nods to Jaurri.
>
Zanns just went southwest.
>
Thelena concentrates.
Thelena's right hand looks better.
>
>
Moondia gestures.
Moondia's left arm looks better.
>say ::moond Would you like some scissors?
Speaking quietly to Moondia, you ask, "Would you like some scissors?"
>
Alarke just arrived.
>
Zaaf meditates over Jaurri.
Zaaf takes Jaurri's abdomen damage.
>
Moondia looks over at you and shakes her head.
>
Eariywn just arrived.
>
Zaaf takes Jaurri's right hand damage.
>
>
Moondia gestures.
Moondia's right leg looks better.
>'pity
You quietly say, "Pity."
>
Jaurri just handed Zaaf some coins.
>
Nothing happens.
>
Eariywn put a black oak arrow in his green quiver.
>

Unfortunately, she kept it going and was even laughing and such, unseemingly bothered by the incessant tugging to her head.

Divinity
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
[quote]
Speaking quietly to Moondia, you say, "It's a wonder you are not bald."

Moondia nods to you.

Indirel just went northeast.

Moondia sighs.

You ponder the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

You quietly say, "Let me go get a hatchet."

You nod to Moondia.

You quietly say, "I'll clear it right up for you."[quote]

Hehe.

Divinity
01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
[Town Square Central]
This is the heart of the main square of Wehnimer's Landing. The impromptu shops of the bazaar are clustered around this central gathering place, where townsfolk, travellers, and adventurers meet to talk, conspire or raise expeditions to the far-flung reaches of Elanith. At the north end, an old well, with moss-covered stones and a craggy roof, is shaded from the moonlight by a strong, robust tree. The oak is tall and straight, and it is apparent that the roots run deep. You also see a severed giantman leg, an engraved fel trunk, some aloeas stem, some wolifrew lichen, a long knife and some stone benches with some stuff on it.
Also here: Desperan who is sitting, Zaaf, Berylac, Sheelanagig, Journeyman Silvercross, Orslyk, Ceithne who is sitting, Alarke, Misnomer, Thelena who is sitting, Lady Grazencia who is kneeling, Great Lady Moondia, Cynara who is sitting
Obvious paths: northeast, east, southeast, southwest, west, northwest

You quietly say, "This will do."

Zaaf curtsies to you.

You rub a pearl-handled fletching razor.

Zaaf flushes slightly, some color reaching her cheeks.

Sheelanagig slightly rotates her toadstool pin. A small voice that seems to come directly from the toadstool declares, "MORE ALE!"

You quietly say, "It's just like cutting fletchings."

Sheelanagig winks at Ceithne.

Lud asks, "Any healers free?"

Sheelanagig grins.

You nod to Moondia.

Sheelanagig nods to Lud.

Ceithne giggles at Sheelanagig!

You walk towards Moondia.

Sheelanagig leans against an oak tree.

Sheelanagig grins.

Sheelanagig picks up an engraved fel trunk.

Moondia wails!

Zaaf flushes slightly, some color reaching her cheeks.

Lud says, "Thanks much Grazencia."

You quietly say, "Don't move, I don't want to hurt you."

You hear very soft footsteps.

Moondia just went west.

Sheelanagig squints at an engraved fel trunk.

You belt out, "I said don't move!"

Sheelanagig grins at you.

Sheelanagig cackles!

You mutter women.

So, next time someone like this bothers you, don't talk about it. Just do it! In this case, get the materials to cut it all off. :)

[Edited on 1-24-2005 by Divinity]

Methais
01-23-2005, 11:06 PM
<<Moondia begins an incantation, her hands weaving a complicated spell in the air. Intent on her spellcasting, she fails to notice as her fingers tangle in her tresses until sparks and motes of light shoot away from her fingers, spinning in midair. She tugs frantically at her hair, freeing her fingers, and finally succeeds in preparing the spell.>>

You do realize that that's a custom spell prep message and has nothing to do with the SMILE verb right?

Artha
01-23-2005, 11:17 PM
The GM that did that should have their spell prep messaging making privileges taken away.

Methais
01-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Yeah I dunno how QC approved that one.

That being said, Moondia's still a good empath. if you ask me Her and Chandani are the only empaths I can think of that actually put real and consistent effort into RPing the healing process and makes it more than just...

Moondia meditates over you.
Moondia takes your head damage.

Tell her you want your fortune told sometime too.

[Edited on 1-24-2005 by Methais]

Caramia
01-24-2005, 03:13 AM
How absolutely annoying to have to watch screen scroll like that everytime she preps a spell!

theotherjohn
01-24-2005, 03:52 AM
Yeah I dunno how QC approved that one.

That being said, Moondia's still a good empath. if you ask me Her and Chandani are the only empaths I can think of that actually put real and consistent effort into RPing the healing process and makes it more than just...

Moondia meditates over you.
Moondia takes your head damage.

Tell her you want your fortune told sometime too.

By real and consistent effort do you mean using the same exact macros over and over?

Methais
01-24-2005, 04:56 AM
Well I just remember them using a bunch of different ACT verb things with some scripted items and shit like that, which I suppose could get annoying after a while with all the scroll but hey what do 99% of the other empaths do? Run their heal script and you're insta-healed, half the time going over every area even if it's not injured and causing all sorts of pointless scrolling because their script sucks.

At least empaths like Moondia bothered to think up and incorporate some extra shit to try to add something to it. If it's macroed so what? I know you don't expect it to be typed out everytime. Sure it gets old after the 47289047th time but what doesn't?

But yeah that custom spell prep message is another story. QC shouldn't have approved it. It's nowhere near as annoying as seeing a sorcerer do illusion reps in the park.

The good news for me though is I don't really give a glass of rat's ball sweat either way.

And Johnny Carson died which fucking blows :(

Toxicvixen
01-24-2005, 06:53 AM
It's nowhere near as annoying as seeing a sorcerer do illusion reps in the park.

I agree that Illusion reps are annoying, but at least its more believable then her prep phrase. :shrug:

Fallen
01-24-2005, 08:13 AM
What a waste of a custom prep spell. Damn.

StrayRogue
01-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Its against the spell prep regulations I was given however. Moondia has being doing the hair tangle thing longer than most people have been playing GS, and I'm sure the GMs acknowledged that.

Nieninque
01-24-2005, 09:12 AM
It's a fucking stupid spell prep phrase, if for no other reason, then it takes a special kind of fuckhead to get her fingers tangled in her every single time she does something as common as prepping a spell. :duh:

Aside from that, it is retarded in many other ways.

Methais
01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Toxicvixen

I agree that Illusion reps are annoying, but at least its more believable then her prep phrase. :shrug: [/quote]

I never said the spell prep message wasn't dumb (at least using it every cast anyway, it'd be much better off being used just here and there), I'm just saying she RPs a good healer overall.

Nakiro
01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
That really is a bad spell prep message. I'll be sure to squelch it.

01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
SIGNATURE slogans > custom spell prep

IMHOTEP

Betheny
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Wow.

:nutty:

DCSL
01-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Okay, she didn't use SMILE, but she abused ACT in a retarded way.

(Ylaenna makes a mental note.)

Yes. Because I can totally tell when someone's doing that.

SpunGirl
01-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Maybe she wrote it on her forehead?

-K