PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Trade-In

The Ponzzz
09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Anyone have any experience with www.bestbuy.com/tradein at all? I thought it would be a great idea, as I keep the receipts to everything electronic I buy for a few years, but none of my laptops are even worth $80 through their trade in program.

Even taking a brand new computer off their site, the trade in value of a $2000 laptop was only $120. But the website even states it is an estimate and checking reviews, people claim to have gotten much much more than the estimate said.

Monsoon
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Say no to Best Buy. Pretend it doesn't exist.

The Ponzzz
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
I won't use them for any big purchases anymore, as if you do a search on this forum, you'll find some experiences I had with them. But for video games and movies (and smaller electronics), they are fine.

Fallen
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I've never had any bad experiences with Best Buy. It is hard as hell to get much value out of an old computer. I'm not terribly familiar with the program, but it sounds like a good idea if you don't plan on keeping an older one around for word processing/web surfing.

Monsoon
09-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Big companies will give you rock bottom prices for used gear. Their online "estimates" will always be higher. Once they look at your crap, they'll find bad things to say about it to keep dropping their offer.

Use Craigslist. Even if you can't sell it for more, someone in need could get it. Best Buy will either refurbish it and/or upgrade it a little and rip someone off later, or send it in for recycling.

radamanthys
09-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Best buy is good if you take something small off the shelf and go to the register and purchase it.

If it's big, if it requires customer service, if it requires you to speak to an employee or manager for more than 10 seconds, you're pretty much boned.

diethx
09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Best buy is good if you take something small off the shelf and go to the register and purchase it.

If it's big, if it requires customer service, if it requires you to speak to an employee or manager for more than 10 seconds, you're pretty much boned.

That's pretty much the complete opposite of any Best Buy experience i've ever had.

Gelston
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
That's pretty much the complete opposite of any Best Buy experience i've ever had.

Yeah, that.

diethx
09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Actually let me clarify, that's as far as IN-STORE situations. The outsourced Indian fucks at 1-800-bestbuy can choke on Emislity's beef and cheddar.

SolitareConfinement
09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Actually let me clarify, that's as far as IN-STORE situations. The outsourced Indian fucks at 1-800-bestbuy can choke on Emislity's beef and cheddar.

thanks, you've now ruined Arbys for me :(

on topic:
Best Buy has been great for me in store, always gave me what I thought were great deals, and even been cool with returns for me *shrugs* I happen to like the store

ElvenFury
09-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Video games are always about $5 cheaper at Gamestop in my local mall.

diethx
09-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Video games are always about $5 cheaper at Gamestop in my local mall.

Maybe if you buy them used and all scratched up.

radamanthys
09-16-2009, 04:04 PM

I've had some bad experiences, but that's only been the Syracuse store, so I might just have a bad egg.

ElvenFury
09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Maybe if you buy them used and all scratched up.

Nope, unless if that's the only way I can get them. However, I shouldn't have said "always" without adding "if you're a behind-the-times casual gamer like me", because I usually don't buy games immediately after they come out; I often get them a year or so later.

Gamestop lowers their prices sooner than BB, and usually by a greater amount, from what I've seen. Even so, I've seen brand new games start out cheaper at Gamestop (although they probably weren't A list games).

And even when they are the same price, I'd rather go two doors down in the mall to support the business that often offers better deals.

The Ponzzz
09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I guess no one is familiar with the trade-in program. Oh well. I sit on the old laptops forever!

Belnia
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
If it has moving parts and/or it is likely to break one day, I just don't buy it at Best Buy. I was sad when CompUSA went under, as I did most of my computer buying there. Since then I've just been going to a second hand/refurb computer store here in town for all my needs, and just juicing up older computers. Come out much cheaper, and who wants to play Crysis anyway?

diethx
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
However, I shouldn't have said "always" without adding "if you're a behind-the-times casual gamer like me", because I usually don't buy games immediately after they come out; I often get them a year or so later.

Ah okay then, that makes more sense.

Even if we waited for our games though, I like buying from Best Buy because i'm a reward zone member, and their game club member which equals mucho reward bucks for everything I buy, especially games, which in turn would end up being cheaper than Gamestop i'll bet.