PDA

View Full Version : So long

HSB
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey everyone. I just wanted to say goodbye. As some of you know, I played exclusively from work. I've got a great job, and had been able to successfully juggle GS and work for quite some time. Over Labor Day, my office rolled out a system upgrade which makes it impossible for me to log in to GS (believe me, I tried). We're using a mainframe-style system, with no ability to access, install, or manipulate local files. My home life is both chaotic and remote, and there just isn't any way for me to login from home for more than a few minutes at a time. As part of the new software at work, they upgraded the firewall, which fixed the hole I used to use to access the internet during work hours, so I won't be able to be here, either.

So... all things being equal, it's time to say goodbye. I've made some good friends, had a blast reconnecting with the game, and wish that it didn't have to be like this, but I can't help it. Maybe some day I'll be back, but the odds are pretty negligible. Thanks everyone for everything.

PS - To the people that I still have transactions pending with, I apologize. This wasn't something I could see coming. I can be reached at Her{dot}Sadistic{dot}Boss{at}gmail{dot}com if anyone needs to get ahold of me (Thus... HSB... NOT Heart-Shaped Box.. ugh)

Fallen
09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Psh. Get a wireless modem and play via laptop.

Monsoon
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I can't play at work. IT keeps the network airtight, which is to be expected. I've contemplated getting a laptop/netbook and a wireless card or tethering plan, but I don't have the funds, and I'd only be able to play during lunch. Not worth it.

Fallen
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I can't play at work. IT keeps the network airtight, which is to be expected. I've contemplated getting a laptop/netbook and a wireless card or tethering plan, but I don't have the funds, and I'd only be able to play during lunch. Not worth it.

If you can't make it work for you during the full day I agree it likely wouldn't be worth it. However, if you have downtime I would definitely recommend doing SOMETHING to keep "busy".

Monsoon
09-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh, I have plenty of downtime at work. I swear my morale here would be so much better if I could actually do something in between stuff. I guarantee my productivity would improve.

Sylvan Dreams
09-10-2009, 12:00 PM

At my last job, I had one of my dual monitors connected to my personal laptop (which was stashed under my desk) via switchbox. I had it set up so that I could use a keyboard shortcut to switch back and forth between computers or if I needed to switch NOW, the switchbox was positioned so that I could tap the button with my toe. Then, I made both wallpapers the same so that you couldn't tell when I was on one or the other. I used the unlimited data plan from my cell carrier to finish it all up.

Since funds are an issue, do you know of an unsecured network near your work location? If you could set up something similar, you would just have to use a cantenna (which you can make out of a pringles can with instructions from the internet) and connect that way.

Monsoon
09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
It wouldn't matter. People are constantly walking around, and I could never hunt or I'd have to minimize the game and I'd probably die. Plus no one's around during work hours anyway.

Zanagodly
09-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow I love the extent and creativity that goes into these measures to play shit at work.

Back
09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Where there is a will there is a way.

Donquix
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Man, it must suck not working in the IT department when you want to game at work...this is so much easier when you have access to the firewall

of course i still bounce all my gaming/browsing traffic off an SSH tunnel to my home computer, but that's just because i don't want the other guys to check my actual usage and laugh at me :(

Geshron
09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Good luck, hope you can figure out a way back dude.

LordBacl
09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
There's nothing greater than playing at work, and thus getting paid to just sit around and play Gemstone.

Sorry to hear they cut the cord on you. Maybe you'll figure something out and we'll see you around again!

Loagan
09-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Man, it must suck not working in the IT department when you want to game at work...this is so much easier when you have access to the firewall

of course i still bounce all my gaming/browsing traffic off an SSH tunnel to my home computer, but that's just because i don't want the other guys to check my actual usage and laugh at me :(

:(

They're all gonna laugh at you.

Cerberus
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Since I look at this from the employer's perspective I have to say you are pretty smart for doing that. Plausible deniability is a wonderful thing.