PDA

View Full Version : Solhaven Siege!

03-06-2004, 01:53 AM
This is going great! Hopifully the DA won't snatch up the last piece of the sword as well!

Weedmage Princess
03-06-2004, 01:58 AM
I've been hearing lots about this storyline, but never have been able to figure out what exactly is going on. Anyone up to filling me in?

**and no, I'm not trying to sneak in on the quest! I don't even play Prime so don't worry about me being a quest hog. I'm legitimately curious.

~Weedie, hoping we get some sort of cool storyline going in Plat that will actually be carried out ::crosses her fingers::

03-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Basically, The Dark Alliance is after the Griffon(Gryphon) Sword. It was shattered into 4 pieces and scattered through out known Elanthia. The DA has uncovered and possess 3 of the four pieces I do believe.

Currently, V'Tull's forces are sacking Solhaven.

Reyek
03-06-2004, 06:00 PM
i hope they get it. Evil is always funner then good. better story line. But for some reason Good always wins ( at least in the movies). Better story line for a change would be for the bad guy( evil) to win something....

Betheny
03-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Can't be as fun as the Illistim thing.

I'd go, but I don't think I'd be very welcome.

Reyek
03-06-2004, 06:02 PM
your on the DA side arent ya? I'd be there with you. (my wizard that is) my cleric is on the other side.

TheEschaton
03-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I couldn't really give two shits. My priest isn't interested one way or the other, but he'll protect Solhaven from invaders, it's a nice enough town.

-TheE-

J-Tech
03-06-2004, 06:23 PM
I got slaughterd yesterday in solhaven wiht my rogue. (Not Surgla). I'm staying away tonight. (With Surgla)

J.T.

Syberus
03-06-2004, 06:27 PM
The invasios have been increasing in intensity as they come, the one last night was borderline insane with all the things running around. I had my demon scouting and it would come back telling me there were 200-250 creatures in the area it scouted alone. Of I was there laying a Savage Beating upon the ones I saw.. but there are some creatures (Elders, Lava constructs) that are mid to upper 90's in trains.

Zentoph
03-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Weedmage, don't be paranoid about trying to join a quest to have fun and play the game you pay for.

Maimara, quit your bitching and get your ass down here thanks!

Ilvane
03-06-2004, 06:49 PM
hmm, maybe I should get my Ronanite self down there. Not that I've been involved in this quest in a year, but it might be fun anyway.

-A

StrayRogue
03-06-2004, 09:47 PM
*nod* I know Simu. Whatever happens, simu and the GM's will not foresake the paying customers who don't RP (ie, the majority of the player base) over some dumb quest. So even if the baddies win, I don't see anything terrible happening. Which makes it pointless. IMHO.

[Edited on 7-3-04 by StrayRogue]

Stunseed
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
I think it'd be nice for the common adventurer to band together to form a resistance. If you want to leave town, you either have to sneak out, or have others create a diversion. People working together to sabotage the supplies of the invaders, stuff like that.

Betheny
03-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I would go, but an OOC situation has resulted in my dis-invitation from the 'Dark Alliance'.

Just goes to show RP doesn't mean jack.

StrayRogue
03-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I would go, but an OOC situation has resulted in my dis-invitation from the 'Dark Alliance'.

Just goes to show RP doesn't mean jack.

Huh? I thought you were like the uber mularos person or something?

Betheny
03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Was.

Halfsilver
03-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Any member of the DA will die, as everyone knows that good always
triumphs over evil in the end.
(Jessa should take note of this, and rethink her darkside alignment.)

=P

I missed the v'tullian attacks on Haven. I'm still at work now, and missing whatever is going on now. Suck.

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Halfsilver]

TheEschaton
03-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I heard a similar complaint about a certain other Mularosian, Maimara. That's why I don't ever lump myself into societies, groups, or what-have-you.

Because most of the player base are neglected in real life, and transpose the backstabbings they've had in RL and funneled them into "dark" characters, who can then backstab others. OOC or IC, don't matter.

My RP is my own, and it doesn't matter who the hell is with me or not. It's the only way.

"Not everyone believes what you believe, Morpheus!
My beliefs don't require them to."

Still the best line in the whole Matrix series.

-TheE-

Halfsilver
03-06-2004, 11:28 PM
My character is good, and he is a minority.

I sometimes wonder, how good always wins...even though the majority of the player base chooses evil.

Being evil in game is to conform and much easier to RP. "I hate you, stay away from me, or I will blast you".

Try a more difficult RP path. Following the path of good is much more difficult. Even neutrality is more challenging than being evil. Evil is boring. Everyone is evil.

Be good!

Trinitis
03-06-2004, 11:42 PM
why does good always win? Simple. Their tasks are normally much easier.

Example :

This sword saga. The "bad" need all 4 peices to "win". Where as, the good only need 1 peice, to prevent the bad from taking over.

TheEschaton
03-06-2004, 11:48 PM
If the bad win, everyone dies, and that pisses off the customer base. See all the trouble they had to go to to make Icemule a safe haven in the feithidhmor quest, and people still bitched and moaned.

Imagine if the whole continent came under the rule of V'Tull and Mularos. I would love that (as a player) because it would put my own priesthood (as a character) in question. But it would piss the powerhunting jack offs to no end.

-TheE-

Halfsilver
03-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I see your point, but here is a counter-example.

V'tullian forces in overwhelming numbers have been attacking the town of 'haven. They could get the last peice, yet they don't. They far outnumber the capable defenders that are the only thing keeping the DA from total victory. Yet...they are not taking the last peice of the sword.

Why? because they are evil...and for some reason...they will always lose, even if the tide is in their favor.

TheEschaton
03-06-2004, 11:50 PM
I thought they had to FIND the last piece?

Or do they know where it is, they're just not taking it? That would be weak.

-TheE-

Betheny
03-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Man I'm glad to not be dealing with this frustration again.

It's NOT easy being bad.

TheEschaton
03-06-2004, 11:53 PM
It is very easy to be bad, because bad doesn't require a social network.

Good involves politics.

-TheE-

Betheny
03-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Being DA involves a lot more politics than being good. You also have to deal with the people kicking your ass for no apparent reason, people making up stories about you, people hating you as a player for playing a dark character...

Trust me. I went through all this. I found the pommel, I carried it for a few weeks, and it's ultimately the reason I don't play Maimara anymore.

TheEschaton
03-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear that. None of my characters knew Maimara, but I had obviously heard things about her.

-TheE-

Zentoph
03-07-2004, 12:03 AM
You're mistaken, Halfsilver. Although a number of characters are plastered with Mularos or Luukos gear or what have you, only a fraction of them actually stay true to the RP. I've seen, although I can't remember the names, at least 5 people dressed in such outfits attacking the V'Tullians and working with the various armies defending Solhaven. (HERTS, ATK, Fury, etc.)

TheE, a Human in Solhaven has the piece, and Zerroth is attacking to take the piece by force. The Human knows what the piece is, and would know why Zerroth is attacking, so he is probably in hiding. I assume that is why Zerroth was wandering around alot during the attack tonight, he was searching for the Human.

Bobmuhthol
03-07-2004, 12:12 AM
<--- guilty of not caring.

My roleplaying consists of the following:

Sitting at TSC either AFK or on PsiNet.
Hunting once every week.
Asking to be healed in TSC prior to sitting there AFK or on PsiNet.

I AM SO EVIL.

Halfsilver
03-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<--- guilty of not caring.

My roleplaying consists of the following:

Sitting at TSC either AFK or on PsiNet.
Hunting once every week.
Asking to be healed in TSC prior to sitting there AFK or on PsiNet.

I AM SO EVIL.

Hey, that's cool...as long as you don't detract from other people who like to rp.
Then you become a nuisance.

I don't think that I am mistaken, by the way.

I know people don't conciously choose to be evil because 'oh, it's easier to rp'...Well, I'm not sure why people choose to RP evil chars. I'm sure the reasons vary. However, rp'ing an evil individual is inherantly easier than rp'ing the opposite. For just the reasons stated.

Evil always has an advantage over good.
Evil is always more powerful than good.
example. COL members get more , much quicker than a Voln member...and at the end (if you consider AS=power) they achieve more power.

I find being good is now going against the norm, and that makes it all the more fun.

Ilvane
03-07-2004, 02:24 AM
I find it hard to play Ilvane sometimes because I consider her "Lawful Good" in all situations.

I can see where being bad could be difficult, but there are a ton of people who play that now adays. It's all what you like, really.

-A

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-07-2004, 03:25 AM
I always thought being evil was harder than good. Being a "good" evil person is hard, because doesn't everyone essentially want to be accepted and liked? A really evil person...well, they don't, at least not in my mind.

Then there's the fine line between being a jackass and being evil. I guess thats why I pretty much just stick to being 'normal'.

03-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Being evil is alot of work, because generally you go against everything, even if you as a player don't like it.

And like Maimara said, you have to deal with the classic Hero attacking you for no reason, or just because. I know during the Illistim siege, the DA were killing off the elven NPCs, but there were so many DA members, you would be a fool to try to attack them. In Solhaven, I have seen a few, but no one heavily RPing it well. This of course during the siege, not in the off time...

But as it goes now, I am having fun with it... And just FYI, I'm not in the DA.

Latrinsorm
03-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Stupid Solhaven invasion crap. This is the last time I wander around Elanthia. I'm staying in Landing for the rest of my life. Stupid cheapshot Mind Jolts.

On a happier note, I totally killed a towering troll prince with my Ballista of Doom.

edit: BTW what the hell is this:
>
Nothing happens.
>
Did someone invisible wave something or fail an invoke or what?

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Latrinsorm]

StrayRogue
03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Ah the joys of being chaotic neutral.

Xcalibur
03-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Stupid Solhaven invasion crap. This is the last time I wander around Elanthia. I'm staying in Landing for the rest of my life. Stupid cheapshot Mind Jolts.

On a happier note, I totally killed a towering troll prince with my Ballista of Doom.

edit: BTW what the hell is this:
>
Nothing happens.
>
Did someone invisible wave something or fail an invoke or what?

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Latrinsorm]

Let's start a pro, against all things like that. YOU DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO JOIN IT, hmm?

FinisWolf
03-08-2004, 05:40 AM
Ahh hell folks, if Finis can run around smooshing all the wussy critters they are throwing at Sol, anyone can come slaughter. He got himself more then a dozen wussy V'Tullian Elders. What killed him was a damn void! Bah! ..., and he is a lousy 41 trains.

Finiswolf

Fallen
03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
It is very easy to be bad, because bad doesn't require a social network.

Good involves politics. >>

Laughs. Bad has its politics too *Points at the Tower*

Most players dont care, and will take the side of right during an invasion to fight off the monsters. The DA seems to be the exception to this.

Its easier to be an ass than to be good, but its pretty damned easy to be passively good too. What penalties are there in it? You treat everyone equally so you can be healed by everyone, resurrected by anyone, be friends with anyone, ect.
Others will be far more willing to come get your corpse if your always nice and helpful. You wont have a problem with locksmiths if your all big tips and smiles. I could go on and on.

Good hard? No.

Chadj
03-08-2004, 11:59 AM
<---- Killed 3 troll kings on his own at Sol...

I was kicking ass! Heh, Chadj was offered by someone to join V'tull for his "fighting spirit" and a chance to get revenge on Koar for fucking Chadj over.... Declined tho :(

Offer is still there if i want to switch sides tho! And I'm thinkin i might!:)

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Was doing well against the warriors and princes... until I got PWNED.

A V'tullian elder gestures at you!
CS: +425 - TD: +324 + CvA: +14 + d100: +14 == +129
Warding failed!
... 17 points of damage!
Strike to foot! You hop around dizzily on other foot and fall.
You are knocked to the ground!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
Roundtime: 4 sec.

Stood up, moved to the next room...and got caught in offensive

A V'tullian elder swings a massive red-black claidhmore at you!
AS: +536 vs DS: +432 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +4 = +142
A layer of shifting stone shatters!
... and hits for 50 points of damage!
Wild downward slash severs your left foot!
Bloody stump, anyone?
You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled left leg!
You are stunned for 8 rounds!
!PS>
A V'tullian elder swings a massive red-black claidhmore at you!
AS: +536 vs DS: +351 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +95 = +314
... and hits for 129 points of damage!
You twist away but are caught with a hard slash!
Back is broken!

SPLATTED.

Then... to top it off

A quick gesture from a burning crimson mage produces a fine, blackened pouch. With a wave of his hand over your corpse, the crimson mage scorches your hand! Reaching down, the crimson mage pries loose a few of your fingernails, catching them in his pouch. With a pleased look on his face, the crimson mage attaches the pouch to his belt.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-08-2004, 10:45 PM
but I'm not Nakiro.... ROFL, this was funny...

A huge black stone beast reaches down and lifts Nakiro's corpse into the air with one giant club of a hand. It proceeds to slowly pull off Nakiro's arms at the shoulder as if they were wings on a fly. First the right arm and then the left, tossing each aside once it has been detached fully.

Stunseed
03-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Saw that last night. It was hilarious.

PS. Zerroth's a bitch to swing at. Wish I kept my logs.

Rogue Slayer
03-08-2004, 10:51 PM
whats actually invading? and what are the ages of the army?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Brimzstone searches a brown frog.
The brown frog stares at you blankly.

Stunseed
03-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, it's open warfare now, DA is randomly attacking people in the streets during invasions, and towers as well. I think it's really going to get interesting soon.

Trinitis
03-09-2004, 12:10 AM
you know, that would be better (the DA attacking players) if the DA was not getting killed by the invaiders too

heh

Stunseed
03-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Invaders are dumb. They do not have the ability to recognize allies, I'd guess.

Trinitis
03-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Stunseed
Invaders are dumb. They do not have the ability to recognize allies, I'd guess.

Oh sure, thats the normal excuse..but if they can program a flag system for NPC defenders that don't attack you unless you attack them..then I'm sure they could program a flag system that would not attack the DA members unless they attack the invaiders.

Stunseed
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
They? Program? Who are you and what'd you do to Adredrin?

Trinitis
03-09-2004, 12:30 AM
They? Program? Who are you and what'd you do to Adredrin?

Sorry, I've been forced into programming classes in college :sniffle:

Stunseed
03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
I think it'd be a good idea. However, there will be open war in the streets of Solhaven. I hope folks are prepared for that.

Trinitis
03-09-2004, 12:39 AM
I think it'd be a good idea. However, there will be open war in the streets of Solhaven. I hope folks are prepared for that.

Good? Gives a sense of realism, and also shows people they have to live with the choices they make. Your DA? Show it. Show it? Expect to get killed, and kill for your cause.

Stunseed
03-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Oh, I agree wholehartedly. I kinda like the fact the gloves are off, so to speak.

Praefection
03-09-2004, 11:56 AM
I'd like to know why recently it seems like EVERYTHING is happening in Solhaven? Feh, stupid town.

StrayRogue
03-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Thats because its where the RPers hang out.

Galleazzo
03-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
Imagine if the whole continent came under the rule of V'Tull and Mularos. I would love that (as a player) because it would put my own priesthood (as a character) in question. But it would piss the powerhunting jack offs to no end.
That would rock the frigging world.

Never happen though. Remember when the Landing got torched and players screamed for days over not getting at their bank and lockers? Too many jackoffs want to hunthunthunt and pwn players at the boulder, they don't give a flying fuck about RP.

Galleazzo
03-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
A quick gesture from a burning crimson mage produces a fine, blackened pouch. With a wave of his hand over your corpse, the crimson mage scorches your hand! Reaching down, the crimson mage pries loose a few of your fingernails, catching them in his pouch. With a pleased look on his face, the crimson mage attaches the pouch to his belt.
Fuck, man, you are so owned! Bastard's got your soul now and you'll have to pay up

Oh sure, thats the normal excuse..but if they can program a flag system for NPC defenders that don't attack you unless you attack them..then I'm sure they could program a flag system that would not attack the DA members unless they attack the invaiders.
In which case you'd have to have a DA flag that can be set.

In which case players could choose to be DA or not all by themselves.

In which case backstabbing the DA'd be reeeel easy.

[Edited on 3/9/2004 by Galleazzo]