PDA

View Full Version : Paper questions

GSLeloo
11-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Just want to get some other views before I write out this paper. Basically we had to read this essay called "The Banking Concept of Education" by Paulo Freire. Essentially it's about how the system mostly done, banking system, simply takes the information and has the students memorize it. The teacher is made to be superior to the students. The students are never taught what to do with the information.

Freire proposes a different system called the problem-posing system. In this the student and teacher are equal and both are said to be teaching and being taught. You learn from your reflection being expressed and then hearing someone else's expression and going back and forth. You learn a concept and how to use it. It's also about seeing humans as unfinished beings in an unfinished reality.

Ok here's my question for you guys... My teachers wants us to write a paper where we say what would take place in a problem-posing English class. I have all of it set out except one part.

What would you guys think is "using historicity as their starting point"?

Basically he says humans are historical creatures... this part just confuses me because I'm unsure exactly what they're wanting us to say. They also refer to other creatures as not being historical which makes me think they're not referring to memory since other creatures have memory.

Anyone have any ideas what humans being historical means?

longshot
11-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Just fucking give me the demerit points now and save everyone some time...

Trinitis
11-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Ok, I know I'm a mod and all..

But THAT was fuckin funny.

:lol:

Tsa`ah
11-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by longshot
Just fucking give me the demerit points now and save everyone some time...

:lol2:

Oh shit that was funny.

Weedmage Princess
11-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Be nice, Longshot :(

GSLeloo
11-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Longshot as many people say about many threads, if you don't like it then you don't have to read it. I'm aware comments like that make you look cool but it's your own fault, not mine

Trinitis
11-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Not to say I always agree with what longshot does in your threads Leloo..I just clicked on the thread seeing you made it, and he posted..expecting the worst. That post came way out of left field and got me laughin real hard.

Edit to add :

PS. Longshot, you owe me a new keyboard asshole. Fuckin milk everywhere.

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by LordAdredrin]

Kitsun
11-06-2004, 09:35 PM
I would take humans being historical creatures to mean that we have a recorded history and traditions. Other creatures do what they do out of instinct thats in their nature to do while humans teach newer generations about their background/history/traditions. Newer generations are expected to follow the imposed traditions.

GSLeloo
11-06-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm aware, I'm simply stating that despite what he says he reads the threads when he doesn't have to and posts his comments at myself and others because he believes they somehow make him look cool.

Now I already discussed the question above with two very intelligent people. I simply thought that the intelligent members of PC, rather than the ones who only want to spew hurtful comments, could help add to the discussion.

http://www.usm.maine.edu/~amoroso/edu621/paulo.htm That by the way is the essay this is based on.

GSLeloo
11-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Thanks Kitsun, that's what KC and I also discussed. If you read the actual article, as he did, you'll find that the author is basically just bullshiting the entire essay.

Killer Kitten
11-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Without reading the essay and just seeing your question cold, the thought that popped into my head was that humans are creatures who pass their historical records down to their offspring.

This was first done orally, through story and song. Then came cave paintings, and finally written language.

The irony is that while we make a point of teaching and remembering our history, as a species we seem determined to not learn from it.

Like I said, GSLeloo, the above was just where my mind jumped to cold after reading your question. Interesting topic, though. Makes me wish I'd taken more humanities courses in college and laid off the hard science a bit. I guess we as humans also tend to go with what comes easiest to us, don't we?

Kimm