PDA

View Full Version : Should I quit?

Jenisi
03-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I've never quit a job before, but I almost did it today, but I told myself to sleep on it before I made a choice. Best Buy has been my first and only real job, been there since june 2002. Anyway, when i first started working there, things were so different. Now I have to offer magazine subscriptions (in unethical ways I don't agree with), I don't get lunch breaks till like 2 hours before I"m supposed to leave (like 3 or 4 in the afternoon) sometimes i'll work 6 1/2.. 7 hours and not even get a break. I'm sick of it. :(

Bobmuhthol
03-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Best Buy has owed me a computer for about three years.

Quit. They suck.

Kitsun
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Find a new job first. Its easier finding a job when you have one than to get one from scratch.

If it really makes you unhappy, I'd quit. Nothing worse than losing a bit of yourself every day.

03-04-2004, 08:35 PM
That sounds so nice.

ThisOtherKingdom
03-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I'd suggest looking for a new job first also. In my last job, I was extremely unhappy for about 3 - 4 months until one day my boss said something to me that was the last straw, and I snapped and quit. I don't know what kind of responsibilities you had, but I had an apartment I had to pay for among other things, and I really wish I would've found a new job first.

Snapp
03-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Like has been said, find a new job first. Also, make sure you give your two weeks, and leave on nice terms. Always good to have a reference.. and never burn your bridges.

Zeyrin
03-04-2004, 09:48 PM
I spent about 3 or 4 years too long at a job. It takes your sanity day by day. It would be best if you could find another job first but if it drives you that crazy, get the hell out of there.

Jenisi
03-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Maybe before I work at 2 tommarow I'll put in applications at some places I think i'd enjoy working at... right now the only bills I have are car insurance and cell. But I buy my own food, cloathing, etc.

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Jenisi]

Siefer
03-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Best Buy fucking sucks. Ass.

DianaBanana
03-04-2004, 10:41 PM
QUIT QUIT QUIT! But find something else first.

03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
dont just quit make sure you put your two week in... better than burning your bridges

Anebriated
03-05-2004, 01:50 AM
not to beat a dead bush but id say find a new job first and then quit. as snapp said make sure you leave on good terms. if everyone enjoyed their jobs then they wouldnt call it work though.

DianaBanana: love the David Bowie Labrynth picture... good stuff

DianaBanana
03-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks Elrodin! Bob made it for me!

Caiylania
03-05-2004, 07:08 AM
If you aren't happy, I would get a new job then quit.

I was going to say that first Elrodin! I just took to long. Arrgh. That movie rocks.

Betheny
03-05-2004, 09:06 AM
I get really annoyed when they try to sell me shit at the registers. They should have tables with people at the front offering, b ut at the register?

MaryJane
03-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Maimara
I get really annoyed when they try to sell me shit at the registers. They should have tables with people at the front offering, b ut at the register?

Like the old people they have sitting at the tables at walmart when you walk in, waving the walmart card and YOUR FREE GIFT?! I hate when record stores try to sell me shit. It's like, no shut up, ring up my order please.

P.S. Get a job before you quit the other and give two weeks.

Jenisi
03-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah it's insane the amount of things I have to offer customers. Best buy card, gift card, magazines, netflix, prp's, reward zone cards, and service plans. Literally all things I have to offer :( If I was a customer I'd want to shoot me.

Betheny
03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah but most of us customers understand it's your job, and thus aren't annoyed with you -- just with the store for making you guys do that.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Business's are in it to make money. I don't see anything wrong with a pitch that is appropriate. 80% of jobs today probably have some sort of sales involved in them.

If you don't want to do sales, you are probably eliminating yourself from some of the most lucrative jobs in the market. Is it that hard to say "Would you like to purchase a gift card today?". I seriously doubt you have to pitch EVERYTHING after a decline.

I'd reevaluate your position and salary, before I'd made any rash decisions. I recall not long ago you singing the praises of what a great job it was and how it enabled you to go to school, etc.

SpunGirl
03-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Like when you go into Victoria's Secret and they fucking pressure the shit out of you to get their credit card? Credit cards are the devil, kthx.

It's nice that Jenisi realizes the store is abusing her position as a register person to hawk MORE shit. Every time that happens I feel like screaming, "I'm BUYING shit, I'm already a CUSTOMER, you already GOT me, leave it at that!"

-K

P.S. Repeat other advice.

Solkern
03-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Sell drugs!
But get a job that cover the funds your making.

:)

anyways I'd find a new job also before I quit.

HarmNone
03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Most customers will understand that you are only doing what you are told to do. It is part of your job.

I have been known to tell the cashier that I do not want to hear it, I want to pay for my items and be on my way, and if that is a problem I would like to see the store manager immediately. the cashier does not bear the brunt of my ire, but the store manager sure does. :D

HarmNone

SpunGirl
03-05-2004, 04:18 PM
I would not want to bear the brunt of HN's ire.

-K

Shari
03-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Okay, I've definitely quit my fair share of jobs so here's what advice I can offer.

Try sitting down and talking with your manager or whoever is in charge of you. Tell them you don't think its right that you end up not getting a break for the hours you work, and you think it should be planned accordingly so that it at LEAST falls somewhere in the middle of your shift. I don't know if this is in the state I live in only, but you are ENTITLED by law to get a 15 minute break for every four hours that you work. If you work for eight hours its half an hour (though most companies if you work FT give you an hour) I'd look into that where you're at.

Obviously there's nothing you can do about selling to the customers. I hate it too, hence the reason why I got fired for the first time EVER at one of my jobs, because I refused to harrass the customer with stupid buying programs. ANYWAY, see if you can be transferred to a different position, I know Best Buy has lots of different "fields" that you could move into, like...the computer sales or tv sales or something.

You've been working there for what, two years? Try and sit down with your manager and express your frustrations in a professional manner. If they fail to even try to listen or occomadate you, put in your two weeks. Like everyone else said, it is much easier to look for a job while you still have one, and burning your bridges is never good.

Good Luck.

Mint
03-05-2004, 04:20 PM
<--------- Drives bus....never has to sell anything. Heh.

Skirmisher
03-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Showoff.