PDA

View Full Version : The reasoning behind it all..

Widgets
08-23-2009, 03:56 PM
This was posted in another message board for another game I have played for a very long time by myself and have what I consider, "Family" there, so I thought I'd share it with those of you here who know me best also and whom I consider a close friend.

Now, while I really don't know what to write, I figure I'd better write something in the meantime just to have something posted about everything.

As of now, or at least shortly in the coming time as I work on things, I will likely slowly begin weening myself off of Online Gaming, and gaming for the most part. Reason is that I'm at a point in my life right now, where I'm just still not happy with how things are...Where I'm at...Where I'm going..And so forth.

Video Games have been a HUGE part of my life ever since I was a very young child, thanks to my Uncle who kind of induced and fed my addicting habits by supporting me with cups full of quarters for when I'd skip school and play Mortal Kombat 2 all day at the 7-11 three houses down...Or buying me practically every console gaming system when I was young, starting with the Turbo Grafx16.

However, when I look back at the times and ask myself what I've accomplished in life, I really don't have much to say for it aside from Military background and just simply, working random jobs. Video games, while being such a huge part of who I am and my life, are now just simply taking over and suffocating my life overall and getting to the point of literal addiction. Because of this, I've decided to start taking new steps in a whole other direction of life, slowly but surely hoping to eventually be a bit more happier and successful down the road, especially now that I'm 27 going on 28.

The process will definitely not be easy because as we all know, it's very hard to just up and walk away from these things cold turkey, especially in today's world where digital entertainment is everywhere we go..Coffee shops, malls etc. But I'm hoping that I'll be able to either kick it out of my life all together, or do so in a way where I can find a balance between both however I think the first one would be the best option in this case as the second one already occurred numerous times but I still end up getting sucked back in fully and not putting more energy and effort into my job.

With that being said, within the coming week I likely will not be online much at all hopefully. But every now and then I'll likely check things such as my Facebook and emails, regardless, the internet is still needed in today's time to keep up with stuff so I won't cut it out all together.

Anyways, it's been great and a blast to have met alot of you whom I consider close friends, but the time has come to really make a change with everything and just simply grow up some more.

Warriorbird
08-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Hopefully you find another good addiction.

Widgets
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Hopefully you find another good addiction.

The problem with myself, is I have alot of healthy hobbies/interests...At some point PC/Gaming got to be a little too unhealthy as it was constantly all I did in my spare time.

Things I am hoping to gravitate more in the long run is again music, and getting back into the DJ swing of things. Music is another healthy addiction I have, since you will always find me with some ear plugs in or a headset on normally with music blasting in the background, it's a good escape and something I couldn't do without in my life...Plus it's a good way to make some extra income on the side.

Another thing I do, obviously is work out, but that is also because my job requires me to be in shape and look good. That hobby however will never go away, as I feel like keeping in shape in today's world is very important.

Asha
08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
This will pass.

Methais
08-23-2009, 04:15 PM
WTS self control.

Euler
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Another thing I do, obviously is work out, but that is also because my job requires me to be in shape and look good. That hobby however will never go away, as I feel like keeping in shape in today's world is very important.

I thought I was the only one with a job like that. How many other mathematicians are out there?

Stretch
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Might sound a little empty from someone who spent thousands of hours on Gemstone, but couldn't you just tamp down the playing time?

Geshron
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
The problem with myself, is I have alot of healthy hobbies/interests...At some point PC/Gaming got to be a little too unhealthy as it was constantly all I did in my spare time.

Things I am hoping to gravitate more in the long run is again music, and getting back into the DJ swing of things. Music is another healthy addiction I have, since you will always find me with some ear plugs in or a headset on normally with music blasting in the background, it's a good escape and something I couldn't do without in my life...Plus it's a good way to make some extra income on the side.

I gave a few years of my life to see the country and play in a heavy metal band. It was worth it but at the same time, even when you commit yourself to something you feel is spiritually or financially valid you'll always wonder what you could have done differently with that period of time. It may just be part of the human condition, overall. Nothing wrong with bettering yourself anyhow, you seem sensible enough to where you'll come out on top. Good luck, dude.

Widgets
08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Might sound a little empty from someone who spent thousands of hours on Gemstone, but couldn't you just tamp down the playing time?

I could V, but the questions really is do I want to, when better things could/are out there for me.

It's not so much that I am purely addicted..It's just that time spent here, could be best spent elsewhere but I always choose this over other things at the time.

AnticorRifling
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I thought I was the only one with a job like that. How many other mathematicians are out there? LOL this is so win.

phantasm
10-03-2009, 01:03 AM
In my experience, the demands of life will reduce the amount of time you dedicate to gaming naturally as you get older and more responsibilities.
If you are in some unfortunate position that allows you such ample gaming time that you feel its an unhealthy amount, pat yourself on the back and enjoy what you have.

Celephais
10-03-2009, 02:05 AM
Right... because "Man dies of heart failure stemming from exhaustion, caused by not resting during his 50 hour gaming streak" is natural.