PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $20,000 (legally obtained)?

Revalos
08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I actually had to stop and edit the thread title before I posted this to include "legally obtained" because I know most of you too well. And no, I did not get $20,000 from nowhere all of a sudden, this is more of a philosophical question given the current economic situation.

So, anyway...say you won the money on a scratch off ticket, got a big bonus at work, or settled a lawsuit. This isn't something you anticipated. What would you do with the money? I thought about making a poll out of this, but there are just too many options for me to think of. Invest it, blow it on a NY Governor calibre hooker, bet it all on black, donate it to charity, burn it, convert it to pennies, pay off your car, buy your parents a European vacation...

I'm really looking for honesty, and the PC is where that seems more prevalent than elsewhere when it comes to instant reactions. Me, I'd probably pay off my car, credit cards, and fix up my house more, but I'm boring. I'm not really looking for crazy stuff, unless it is what you would really do in that situation. Just the first thing that comes to mind.

diethx
08-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Pay off mine and J's credit card debt, maybe go on a cruise. Put the rest in the bank.

iJin
08-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Pay of CC, buy a car.

TheLastShamurai
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Pay off all debts to include car, CC and student loans. Save the rest to pay off the students loans I will be accrueing over the next couple of years.

Tisket
08-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Found money? Fuck the bills, I'd take a cruise.

radamanthys
08-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I have no debt.

If I had to spend it, I'd go to Chile with my brother, probably. Stay there for a while. Otherwise, I'd just throw it in the ol' slush fund.

Androidpk
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Fuck a cruise, I'd go on some far out exotic trip.

radamanthys
08-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Travel or drug?

Tisket
08-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Stop one-upping me you bastard!

TheLastShamurai
08-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Found money? Fuck the bills, I'd take a cruise.

I could do both with 20k. Not that I'm at all interested in a cruise or any vacation at this point.

pabstblueribbon
08-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Pay off the rest of my mortgage..

Which I would have done, but I made a very very bad mistake by lending 20 large to a very(cough) good friend of mine to get a house...

Anyways. He sold the house, didnt get back what he was supposed to... (cough bullshit) and I got fucked..

I've talked to a few lawyers but they say its pretty much not worth it....

Kitsun
08-22-2009, 11:39 PM
10,000 goes into my investment portfolio.
5,000 on a new gaming rig and all kinds of absurd gadgets.
5,000 toward my emergency doomsday pack.

I say that would cover all the bases. You get to have fun with your new toys now and if the market recovers, you've got money invested! If the world goes to hell, you've got your doomsday pack prepped to kick some ass.

Tisket
08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
What is a "doomsday pack"? Canned food and stuff like bottled water?

TheLastShamurai
08-22-2009, 11:41 PM
5,000 toward my emergency doomsday pack.

Lots of LifeSaver bottles, bullets and MRE's. Maybe a good radiation suit and gas mask w/ replacement filters. Good to go for a few years! ;)

Androidpk
08-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Travel or drug?

Both!

Stop one-upping me you bastard!

What can I say, I like the abuse. :p

radamanthys
08-22-2009, 11:44 PM
2 really ugly chicks at the same time?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1050/567456292_257a85505e_m.jpg

Kitsun
08-22-2009, 11:47 PM
My doomsday pack is kinda geared for zombie survival...

First aid kit
Survival tin - water bag, water purification tablets, whistle, signal mirror, button compass, etc
Binoculars
Knives - Buck bantam, buck special, Spyderco Harpy, Benchmade Nimravus
Lithium Flashlight with spare batteries
Firesteel fire starter
2 cheapass lighters
Hammer
Screw driver
Nails
Crowbar
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Trash bags
Emergency rations
Water
Rope

I'd totally augment it with firearms and bullets and a nice, bug kanetsune blade of some kind.

Parkbandit
08-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Buy some old gold coins and stash them away.

TheLastShamurai
08-22-2009, 11:54 PM
- water bag, water purification tablets

Getcha some LifeSaver bottles. They are teh shiznits.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/michael_pritchard_invents_a_water_filter.html

Androidpk
08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I'd totally augment it with firearms and bullets and a nice, bug kanetsune blade of some kind.

The ultimate zombie killing rifle.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138017000/138017733/pix882729921.jpg

Tisket
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
My doomsday pack is kinda geared for zombie survival...

I know you are a cat lover but get yourself a dog. Best first alert for zombie proximity. Cats are useless in a zombie infested world!

Tisket
08-23-2009, 12:04 AM
You probably shouldn't listen to my advice. I'm probably the only person in existence who, in the case of a zombie attack, would flee, find a completely safe area, and accidentally kill myself by tripping over something and hitting my head.

TheLastShamurai
08-23-2009, 12:06 AM
You probably shouldn't listen to my advice. I'm probably the only person in existence who, in the case of a zombie attack, would flee, find a completely safe area, and accidentally kill myself by tripping over something and hitting my head.

But atleast the zombies didn't getcha! ;)

radamanthys
08-23-2009, 12:07 AM

Hahahaha, I could so see you pulling a "I like to be alone because all I like is books! I was in a vault during nuclear holocaust, omg yay everyone dide... shit, I broke my glasses".

[/rodserling]

Tisket
08-23-2009, 12:07 AM
lmao

Kitsun
08-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Getcha some LifeSaver bottles. They are teh shiznits.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/michael_pritchard_invents_a_water_filter.html

Holymoly. That is SO on my list of things to buy now.

The Ponzzz
08-23-2009, 12:16 AM
In my case, I'd take care of some personal issues I been putting off with my life that involve a lawyer. After that, I'd clean up the rest of my student loan debt and home depot credit card... I should have enough to trade in my sentra for a new car as well. That would be about it.

Warriorbird
08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Get my Dad a new car.

kookiegod
08-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Since I got a windfall coming in of about 26000....2008 tax return, gotta love carry forward losses on stocks...(yes, I filed an extension)

I don't have a bloody clue what I'm gonna do it but put most of it into the 401k, a little bit for some shopping, and a few lap dances.

~Paul

pabstblueribbon
08-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Since I got a windfall coming in of about 26000....2008 tax return, gotta love carry forward losses on stocks...(yes, I filed an extension)

I don't have a bloody clue what I'm gonna do it but put most of it into the 401k, a little bit for some shopping, and a few lap dances.

~Paul

Support single moms.

Hips
08-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Put half or so towards my wedding, and the rest in the bank for a down payment on a house or something.

Latrinsorm
08-23-2009, 02:15 AM
My doomsday pack is kinda geared for zombie survival...I can't decide if I want to salute you or be terrified that you actually have this.
Lithium Flashlight with spare batteriesGet a kinetic crank flashlight, son! Don't waste your bottlecaps on lithium bs!

I would buy a bunch of shoes and knives and nail polish, then feel bad and passive-aggressively donate the rest to the scientists who kicked me out of the school I was going to.

AnticorRifling
08-23-2009, 02:21 AM
I'd tell the wife I got 10,000 hand it to her and let her do what she wanted. Then I'd take the other 10,000 and buy a HK PSG-1 or something similar (maybe build up or mod out something else but you get the idea).

Gan
08-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Which I would have done, but I made a very very bad mistake by lending 20 large to a very(cough) good friend of mine to get a house...

Anyways. He sold the house, didnt get back what he was supposed to... (cough bullshit) and I got fucked..

I've talked to a few lawyers but they say its pretty much not worth it....

Thats why you get said friend to sign a note agreeing to the loan and whatever terms you attach to it (you keep the original copy). You also get the friend to sign a simple deed of trust (then record it in the county clerk's office in the real property records), which in effect puts a lien on the property meaning you get paid according to what position your lien is in. Once you get your money back, you record a release of lien.

I would hesitate to even lend family 20 large without a security instrument securing your interest in the investment, much less a 'friend'...

pabstblueribbon
08-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Yep. It was dumb. I am now an expert at lending friends money.

I dont.

The Ponzzz
08-23-2009, 03:59 AM
I would hesitate to even lend family 20 large without a security instrument securing your interest in the investment, much less a 'friend'...

Truth. We all live and learn though.

I've loaned money out or bought friends things when they were in a bad spot. And I have learned to never do it again.

Stanley Burrell
08-23-2009, 04:42 AM
I'd make a humongous stack of ones and put a pair of those plastic googly eyes on top of it and play the music from the Geico commercials.

RichardCranium
08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Hookers and blow.

B4Hand
08-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Divide it between five college funds..pfft exotic vacation.

grenthor
08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/89/5/AAAAAhyhN7IAAAAAAIle_g.jpg

StrayRogue
08-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Spazz it all at the track.

Daniel
08-23-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd make a humongous stack of ones and put a pair of those plastic googly eyes on top of it and play the music from the Geico commercials.

lol

Cephalopod
08-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Buy some old gold coins and stash them away.

And learn magic tricks?

Gelston
08-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I would trade in my Hyundai Accent and use the money to buy a better car that has cruise control.

Kitsun
08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't decide if I want to salute you or be terrified that you actually have this.Get a kinetic crank flashlight, son! Don't waste your bottlecaps on lithium bs!

I would buy a bunch of shoes and knives and nail polish, then feel bad and passive-aggressively donate the rest to the scientists who kicked me out of the school I was going to.

Neither, you should get prepared! The Z-day is coming! It's only a matter of time before some chemicals mix the wrong way and start animating our dead.

Do kinetic flashlights generate enough light? The Surefire lithium light I've got makes it like freaking daylight. Can use it to blind assailants before clubbing them.

TheLastShamurai
08-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Neither, you should get prepared! The Z-day is coming! It's only a matter of time before some chemicals mix the wrong way and start animating our dead.

Do kinetic flashlights generate enough light? The Surefire lithium light I've got makes it like freaking daylight. Can use it to blind assailants before clubbing them.

Need to set ya up some solar panels or wind power so that you'll have electricity after Z-Day!

iJin
08-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I change my decision.

Pay off my CC, fly out to Finland and pick me up a Finnish hot male hooker to translate Finnish for me while there and go see The Rasmus, build the most extreme computer ever, save the rest for my 21st bash at Vegas to fly out my close GS buddies.

Androidpk
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Can use it to blind assailants before clubbing them.

Your conventional way of thinking will have you turned into a zombie in no time.

Kitsun
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Your conventional way of thinking will have you turned into a zombie in no time.

I wouldn't use it to try and blind zombies! Just crazy people, scavengers, head hunters, and general scum of the earth.

radamanthys
08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't use it to try and blind zombies! Just crazy people, scavengers, head hunters, and general scum of the earth.

Scum of the earth are what hollow points are made for, not flashlights.

Jayvn
08-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Buy 20,000 dollars worth of candy then distribute it to all of the worlds diabetic children, because it isn't fair that every child can't have candy.

Jorddyn
08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
$500 on a Kate Spade purse
$100 on a nice dinner

And the rest would go toward the downpayment on the house I want to buy so I don't have to drain my investment account.

kookiegod
08-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I change my decision.

Pay off my CC, fly out to Finland and pick me up a Finnish hot male hooker to translate Finnish for me while there and go see The Rasmus, build the most extreme computer ever, save the rest for my 21st bash at Vegas to fly out my close GS buddies.

Some of that is creepy, but I'd love to see The Rasmus.

~Paul

kookiegod
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
$100 on a nice dinner

And the rest would go toward the downpayment on the house I want to buy so I don't have to drain my investment account.

Yep, I never touch my investment account, up 13 percent and just gonna get it grow back to normal, and then once I get back to stable, I can start just drawing interest.

I made a great deal this week cause banks aren't lending. I am doing a revolving line of credit for a business (which is secured by their investment properties so I can't lose) for 100k. I get paid 10 percent monthly.

Not bad at all.

~Paul

iJin
08-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Someone's hustlin'. ;)

radamanthys
08-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Buy 20,000 dollars worth of candy then distribute it to all of the worlds diabetic children, because it isn't fair that every child can't have candy.

I'd augment that with my 20k.

First, I'd hire comedians for the children with terminal lung disease. Laughter is the best medicine, they say- and these kids'll laugh so hard, it hurts.

Second, strobe lights for the epileptic children. Because dance is the second best medicine, after laughter. They'll be spastically happy.

And here I thought I was a neutral alignment. Hmm.

Androidpk
08-23-2009, 11:50 PM
What about video game systems for the blind and mp3 players for the deaf??

Latrinsorm
08-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Do kinetic flashlights generate enough light?If you get a big enough one, absultively. I've only ever used one to find something in pitch black conditions a few times, really, but it went really well. The ones I have are LED based, which helps.

Euler
08-24-2009, 06:12 AM
I'd pay an army of really super fat people to waddle around me wherever I went so that I would look model-thin by contrast.

NocturnalRob
08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
pay off part of my cc debt. le sigh.

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
pay off part of my cc debt. le sigh.
PART? Holy shit you're almost as bad as my wife.

I had zero debt until I got married..... In the Marines I used to buy everything on an Amex and pay it off at the end of the month. Then I got married and heard the toliet flush as my credit went with it. Fun side note there is nothing more fun than coming home to a bunch of boxes and your wife saying "Look at the stuff I bought for the house I used your credit card" and then having to explain how an Amex works.

NocturnalRob
08-24-2009, 10:42 AM
well, following a girl up to new york and not having a job for 6 months will allow you to rack up debt fairly quickly.

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Dummy....although you're not that dumb, you're still single.

NocturnalRob
08-24-2009, 11:00 AM
yeah...about that...

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Shut the fuck up, don't tell me you went and got yourself a life sentence.

NocturnalRob
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
nah. i'm still on trial.

does that still work with the metaphor?

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes it does. And congrats. Invite me to the wedding so I have an excuse to get out of the house.

Malvadere
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I would spend 5k on a new triathlon bike, 5k on refurnishing my condo (aka badass home theater) and invest the rest.

Fallen
08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Pay off my debt, put the rest in my 401k

Trouble
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
How are you guys adding it to your 401k? I thought contributions to them had to be through employers... or are you self-employed?

I still haven't figured out what to do with the money I have sitting around. I'm leaning towards refinancing my mortgage to get the payments down to a level at which I could rent out my condo at some point in the future. I already have a low fixed rate but I could reduce my balance/payment. The other options I'm considering are investment properties and the market.

For 20k, I'd recommend paying off any consumer debt you have, then make sure your 3-6 month emergency fund is topped off, then make your 2009 IRA contribution. If you have all of those bases covered, think about fun stuff like a vacation or new PC.

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
How are you guys adding it to your 401k? I thought contributions to them had to be through employers... or are you self-employed?

I still haven't figured out what to do with the money I have sitting around. I'm leaning towards refinancing my mortgage to get the payments down to a level at which I could rent out my condo at some point in the future. I already have a low fixed rate but I could reduce my balance/payment. The other options I'm considering are investment properties and the market.

For 20k, I'd recommend paying off any consumer debt you have, then make sure your 3-6 month emergency fund is topped off, then make your 2009 IRA contribution. If you have all of those bases covered, think about fun stuff like a vacation or new PC. You forgot sniper rifle.

Androidpk
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Because a sniper rifle is full of practical uses.

Tisket
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
For 20k, I'd recommend paying off any consumer debt you have, then make sure your 3-6 month emergency fund is topped off, then make your 2009 IRA contribution. If you have all of those bases covered, think about fun stuff like a vacation or new PC.

http://indiamos.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/advice_mod.jpg

Hips
08-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Tisket's picture

Makes me think of...

http://img2.allposters.com/images/ADVG/888.jpg

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Because a sniper rifle is full of practical uses.

I get a lot of use out of all of mine. He listed a new computer and a vacation same thing only the rifle will last longer.

Jorddyn
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Up contributions to the necessary % of paycheck needed to hit max by year end. Use $20k cash to supplement now much lower paycheck.

Tada.

Latrinsorm
08-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I still haven't figured out what to do with the money I have sitting around.Dude, buy a house, wait a couple years, then sell it! Real estate is GUARANTEED MONEY!! /2007

Drevihyin
08-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Hardcore Internet junkies now have their very own version of the Betty Ford clinic.

The Heavensfield Retreat Center, located in Fall City, Wash., claims to be the first U.S in-patient center to treat Internet, video game and texting addictions. Enrollment in the clinic's 45-day Internet addiction recovery program, called reStart, costs roughly $14,500.

NocturnalRob
08-28-2009, 03:55 AM
so...they basically just cut off access to all technology for 45 days, run them through a couple self-help "classes," and rake in $14,500? nice racket.

waywardgs
08-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Had to think about this for a bit.. came up with a few ideas, but here's one... I think I'd buy 19 pure bred fighting pit bulls and one very strong cage, in which I'd put all 19 pits and one Michael Vick. Justice is rarely as poetic as it should be.

Madcap
08-28-2009, 06:39 AM
I actually had to stop and edit the thread title before I posted this to include "legally obtained" because I know most of you too well. And no, I did not get $20,000 from nowhere all of a sudden, this is more of a philosophical question given the current economic situation.

So, anyway...say you won the money on a scratch off ticket, got a big bonus at work, or settled a lawsuit. This isn't something you anticipated. What would you do with the money? I thought about making a poll out of this, but there are just too many options for me to think of. Invest it, blow it on a NY Governor calibre hooker, bet it all on black, donate it to charity, burn it, convert it to pennies, pay off your car, buy your parents a European vacation...

I'm really looking for honesty, and the PC is where that seems more prevalent than elsewhere when it comes to instant reactions. Me, I'd probably pay off my car, credit cards, and fix up my house more, but I'm boring. I'm not really looking for crazy stuff, unless it is what you would really do in that situation. Just the first thing that comes to mind.

20,000 legally obtained money.. I'd probably pay off the rest of my student loans. God damn things...they never end.

Sean of the Thread
08-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Hmm large chunk of it to my ex and the rest invested in hopes of profiting enough to make student loan payments for the next 25 years.

Nah a PSG-1.

4a6c1
08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Pay off car. Rest in savings.

Jorddyn
08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
$100 on a nice dinner

I'd really like to thank Revalos for starting this thread. I know it's a coincidence, but I saw a house I realllllly wanted to buy Friday night, but it was slightly over what I wanted to spend. Saturday AM, $50k came into my life, quite legally.

Going to make the offer tonight :) Rah!

Solkern
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Pay off my credit cards and put the rest into savings.

diethx
08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd really like to thank Revalos for starting this thread. I know it's a coincidence, but I saw a house I realllllly wanted to buy Friday night, but it was slightly over what I wanted to spend. Saturday AM, $50k came into my life, quite legally.

Going to make the offer tonight :) Rah!

Nice, take pics!