PDA

View Full Version : Where would you be without Gemstone?

Ilvane
07-29-2003, 11:52 AM
I was reading an article about sociology and thought this might be an interesting question.

Where would you be in life if you hadn't started to play Gemstone? How did it change your path?

-A

Edaarin
07-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Probably the same place I am now, I would have just found some other thing to waste hours of my time on...I might be considerably more well read than I am now, but that's probably about it. It hasn't affected my life to the point where I slacked on my studies or personal life, still go out on weekends and all that. The funniest moment this summer was when someone was telling me how they dreamed they had bought Tsin for some odd amount of money, forget how much, and moaning about how it was only a dream.

CrystalTears
07-29-2003, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't have many of my friends, and I wouldn't be engaged right now to the best man in the world. Not saying that I would be better or worse than now, but I'm one of those people that believes things happen for a reason.

Scott
07-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Ilvane
I was reading an article about sociology and thought this might be an interesting question.

Where would you be in life if you hadn't started to play Gemstone? How did it change your path?

-A

Same place. I normally play Gemstone when I have nothing to do, like instead of watching TV (except I do both at the same time.) So I'm not doing anything different then anyone else in the world. I never let Gemstone get in the way of anything in RL. I'm not one of those people that will say "I can't go out tonight, I've got to level today."

Parkbandit
07-29-2003, 12:23 PM
I don't live my life around Gemstone.. so nothing would have changed.

Gemstone is like a hobby to me... nothing more. Where would I be if I stopped playing Poker every Monday night... or Fantasy Football every year... same place I am today.

Weedmage Princess
07-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Uh maybe a lil late and kinda straying from the topic but--Congrats, Crystal Tears!! I didn't know you were engaged!!

Chyrain
07-29-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm the world's biggest narcoleptic in GS because typically when I'm in, I'm also taking care of other things. I'd be exactly where I am now. Just a little less entertained.

CrystalTears
07-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks. Although sometimes I'll say he's my boyfriend, sometimes I'll say he's my fiance, and sometimes I'll say he's my husband. <grins>

TjMaelstrom
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Well I wouldn't be here, that's for sure.

Without GS I'd probably be the asocial teenager I was before I was introduced to in in '97. Back then all I would do was play video games, and GS at least allows me to be creative.

I've met a lot of great people because of GS, friends I've kept for years, even women I've fallen in love with.

Sweets
07-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Today it doesn't effect my life much. Still busy socially. Love spending time with my husband. Gots a baby on the way. Instead of watching the boob toob, I play for an hour or so. I find it more stimulating.

disclaimer:things get a bit sappy from here on out.

When I started to play gemstone about 4 years back it was a whole different ball of wax. I had just moved back home with my Mom and Dad after Mom was diagnosed with cancer. At that point she was given only a few months to live. I had quit my job and moved home to help in her care. We had some long, sad days filled with anxiety. I had always loved fantasy, something mom had passed on. Surfing the net one day I stumbled upon the gemstone site( I was cruising the Elfwood gallery and came upon character drawings). Mom would pull up a chair and we would giggle while try to figure out what was going on for hours on end. The distraction and time together was precious. Some may say it's lame, but hey..it was ours. She did make it through awful odds in that first year but we just lost her recently. I will always play gemstone for this reason. She's there with me. Even if it is only for a few hours.

In memory of Agnes Isabel Mackenzie aka Maina, Nindameoi, Athlana.

[Edited on 7-29-2003 by Sweets]

[Edited on 7-29-2003 by Sweets]

longshot
07-29-2003, 04:11 PM
I would not have dark circles under my eyes so much.

Ilvane
07-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Sweets, I don't know you, but I'm sorry to hear about your mom, :hugs: I just lost my dad recently myself.

GS was a great distraction for me when my dad was getting sicker towards the end and was in the hospital. I would play because there was just no way I could sleep when I was so worried. I would work and go there after work, and then come home and be an insomniac. They had called us a bunch of times to just let us know that we should come in, because they didn't think he would make it. February 9th was the day he died.

Anyway, on to better subjects..Just wanted to send some hugs your way.

-A

StrayRogue
07-30-2003, 04:44 AM
I'd be rich, famous, powerful and feared.

Sweets
07-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the hugs Ilvane. I'm sending some right back at you.

Dighn Darkbeam
07-30-2003, 08:40 AM
I believe I would be in better shape because I would of spent more time doing PT then playing GS. I would be a horrible typer as this game taught me the skill. I doubt my creative writing would be at the level it is today. My spelling would be a bit worse off then its current level of crappyness.

Hmm.

I would think like a Dhe'nar in my head and accidently slip and call people halfbreed and such when in arguments (true story, called someone a filthy halfbreed instead of fucking asshole)

I love gemstone and consider nearly every minute playing as time well spent.

Kris na Su'ta

Warriorbird
07-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Hmm. I think I'd be playing DR. Damn you Gemstone!

Artha
07-31-2003, 12:54 PM
Less fat. More athletic. Less Pale. Stupider.

longshot
08-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Gemstone cost me sex yesterday. My town has this giant fireworks festival, and I invited this girl I met to come watch them with some friends.

21, university student, great body...

My stupid ass is too busy playing gemstone to clean my apartment. Gemstone also took away my time to do laundry, so I had none of my "cool" clothes to wear.

I ended up passing her on to a friend.

Stupid text game!

Soulpieced
08-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Gemstone cost me sex yesterday. My town has this giant fireworks festival, and I invited this girl I met to come watch them with some friends.

Ouch, giving up sex for Gemstone. Now that is a trooper.

Kailya
08-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Not here. Definitely not here.

08-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Dead due to suicide.

- --[ Klaive ]-- -

Drew2
08-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Umm... well back in the day, GS was an escape for me from a bad reality. But now... it's a tool for procrastination. It's horrible. Though... if it wasn't GS I guess it would be something else. Maybe I should research that thing called self-discipline. Or not.

On the upside, I've learned how to balance a social life, healthy lifestyle, and GS all at the same time! I just gotta work on fitting a j-o-b in there somewhere and I'll be fine.

I don't even want to think what will happen when school starts.

Ylena
08-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Demon Lord Kage
Dead due to suicide.

- --[ Klaive ]-- -

Jeez... the first good reason I've ever seen for the end of the game....

CrystalTears
08-12-2003, 04:41 PM
:lol:

Stanley Burrell
08-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I dunno. I don't think about it that much :shrug:

The Ponzzz
08-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Nice five year bump!

Stanley Burrell
08-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much the greatest thing ever I guess.

Fallen
08-12-2008, 07:43 AM
JEZUS! Ollld thread.

RichardCranium
08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I started posting a couple of months after this thread was made.

Sylvan Dreams
08-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I'd be president of the United States.

(Shouldn't threads expire after a while?)

Fallen
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Not if your boards are worth a damn (AKA not Simu's)

DCSL
08-12-2008, 10:19 AM
I would most likely be in a vastly different place. So different that I can't even picture it right now. It's not like GS ruined my life or anything like that, but I'm absolutely positive that it did change it greatly.

Gan
08-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I started posting a couple of months after this thread was made.
Ditto! (i think)

Nice bump.

I'd be a little less enriched for the few friends I've met and kept that would not have happened if I had not played Gemstone.

I would also not have been introduced to the PC, which means I would not have met any of you schmucks either! :p

So yea, Gemstone has been good for a few things. :)

Allereli
08-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I have six more months of having a pretty useless arm (lift 3 lbs max). I wouldn't be doing very much else if GS weren't there.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, old thread.

I've met some people now very important to my life, through Gemstone. Like my boyfriend.. if I hadn't met him, I likely wouldn't have moved away from Seattle to live in CT two years ago.

I can't really picture where I'd be besides that, just that it's a pretty different place, heh!

BigWorm
08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I would have never learned how to play squares.

Ulkov
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM

lol. Wurd. If not for GS, as many have already said, my typing skills would be shit. My vocabulary would be down to nothing but vulgarity. As for where I'd be in life had I not been playing since I was 14.....hmm...probably jail or dead. GS kept me at home more often than I might have been normally, and therefore kept me out of trouble....mostly.

ViridianAsp
08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Honestly, I don't know where I'd be without Gemstone. I'd probably just read more or I might actually write, I love to write...So I'd probably do more of that too.

Honestly, I think this game helped me to exercise my imagination and creativity.

diethx
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I would most likely be in a vastly different place. So different that I can't even picture it right now. It's not like GS ruined my life or anything like that, but I'm absolutely positive that it did change it greatly.

Ditto. I've had too many RL experiences with people I met in GS for it to not have changed my life greatly. I also probably wouldn't have tested out of high school keyboarding had I not been playing since I was like 15, hehe. Not like that would've had a big impact, but still.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Definitely ditto on the typing skills.

Hips
08-12-2008, 02:36 PM

^ yeah, that. I'd probably drink a lot more, too.

The Ponzzz
08-12-2008, 02:42 PM
I'd play another game. I mean geez.

BigWorm
08-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah I guess I would have played DragonRealms or something. Man, its a good thing I didn't end up being a nerd or anything.

Stanley Burrell
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah I guess I would have played DragonRealms or something. Man, its a good thing I didn't end up being a nerd or anything.

Word.

I'm gonna go microwave a bagel and have sex with it.

Ulkov
08-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Man, its a good thing I didn't end up being a nerd or anything.

Yea *phew*. Glad I dodged that bullet.

BigWorm
08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah their text based game is way less cool than our text based game.

Although, they do have a lot of hot chicks that play.

The Ponzzz
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I like it how people talk about GS like it is heroin.

If I didn't play GS I'd be in shape, better job, better spouse, rich.

That just makes me laugh.

CrystalTears
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I would have still been playing tabletop D&D, and probably onto live-action roleplaying. GS saved my life!

Ulkov
08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Man LARPs are so creepy

Ulkov
08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I like it how people talk about GS like it is heroin.

If I didn't play GS I'd be in shape, better job, better spouse, rich.

That just makes me laugh.

Hey, I said I'd be dead or in jail. GS saved my life, too!

Sean
08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I might have less student loans if I hadn't played gemstone since I might have played sports during high school instead.

Shari
08-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I'd be no where NEAR as good as I am at typing.

I'd never know what a pelisse, cotehardie, bliaut, or houppelande is!!!!!

On a serious note to that...I learned a much broader vocabulary than I ever would have doing anything else.

Other than that, I think that I'd be in roughly the same place.