PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shit iPhones Pwn

Methais
08-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Got one today. Was gonna get a Blackberry but I started fucking around with an iPhone and god damn they're awesome.

They even have a free FART MACHINE app that has a SIMON (says) FART mode, and also has a timer so you can put your phone next to someone discreetly, walk away, and HUMILIATE THEM!!!!!!!!11 Seriously, how can life get any better than that?

And fucking lightsabers. A free app that lets you wave your phone around making lightsaber noises. This is the best beer I ever drank in my life and I owe it all to my iPhone.

Anyway, post your favorite apps (preferably free but who cares) here so I can find more awesome stuff to fuck with.

HEY EVERYBODY! WE'RE ALL GONNA GET LAID!!!!!1
http://thetgagolf.com/images/caddyshackaax.jpg

Drew
08-09-2009, 03:40 AM
I have a G1 which has different (better) apps and also shares some with the iPhone.

My favs are:
wi-fi tether (can't do that on the iPhone)
shazam
maps
Doom (the game, controls aren't perfect, but what do you expect?)
PapiJump
TelNet
Where's My Droid? (you text message your phone a preset code word and it rings for up to 5 minutes and texts back its GPS location)
LukLuk (streams free first run movies from a Hong Kong server)

Daniel
08-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Welcome to 2007.

Methais
08-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Welcome to 2007.

You're right, I'm a terrible person for not buying an iPhone until now. It's because I'm white and the government wouldn't buy me one because I didn't qualify for welfare like this upstanding citizen, who prefers Blackberry to iPhone for picture taking while waiting in line for free food:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/michelle-obama-at-soup-kitchen-585x347.jpg

Mmmm MMMM dem some tasty lookin' corn muffins on that menu yahear!?!?!

I'm so utterly ashamed of myself. Please forgive me for not getting as much play as you due to not having an iPhone two years ago.

Daniel
08-09-2009, 03:50 AM
You're right, I'm a terrible person for not buying an iPhone until now. It's because I'm white and the government wouldn't buy me one because I didn't qualify for welfare like this upstanding citizen, who prefers Blackberry to iPhone for picture taking while waiting in line for free food:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/michelle-obama-at-soup-kitchen-585x347.jpg

I'm so utterly ashamed of myself. Please forgive me for not getting as much play as you due to not having an iPhone two years ago.

Apology accepted.

How's that hot dog cart going?

Methais
08-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Apology accepted.

How's that hot dog cart going?

It's going great actually. Definitely pays more than it should. How's that new material coming? Oh wait.

And again, I'm sorry for being white.

Daniel
08-09-2009, 04:12 AM
It's going great actually. Definitely pays more than it should. How's that new material coming? Oh wait.

And again, I'm sorry for being white.

Better than yours ;)

Methais
08-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Better than yours ;)

When did repeating the same thing over and over become considered as new material?

Daniel
08-09-2009, 04:27 AM
When did repeating the same thing over and over become considered as new material?

You tell me?

In before "I get more Pakistani play than you."

Please forgive me for not getting as much play as you due to not having an iPhone two years ago.

Drew
08-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks for derailing another thread Daniel. You've once again proved how hip you are and generally better than the rest of us.

Daniel
08-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks for derailing another thread Daniel. You've once again proved how hip you are and generally better than the rest of us.

Np.

Methais
08-09-2009, 04:29 AM
You tell me?

What? That that's the line you use in half of your "insults"?

STOP BEING RACIST!

Daniel
08-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Oh, sorry. I forgot to prefix that sentence with "In before".

STOP BEING RACIST!

How's that new material coming? Oh wait.

Methais
08-09-2009, 04:36 AM

Fallen
08-09-2009, 08:29 AM
I've gotten most of the standards:

Wikipanion
Amazon
Google
Idictionary
AIM
Urbanspoon
Snaptell - Take a picture of a book, game, etc and it will give you info on it.
Yelp - location based information sharing
Kindle
Mapquest
Omaps - Offline maps
Shazam
Fandango

Non-obvious ones:
Chronicals of Inotia: Feanor - Fun RPG grinding game
Backgrounds - a billion backgrounds
1001 Ringtones - Worth getting the pro version
Simpledraw - Free drawing on your Iphone
Maryland - Basically a shit ton of info for MD
NewsAddict - Pulls up about 30 different news papers and news sites.
NPRaddict - All things NPR
IGN - Gives you game reviews
Aolradio - Free music
Yahooradio - Free music

Always looking for good ones I may have overlooked. I will probably set up a twitter account soon. UFC has Dana White, Rogan, and Goldburg all on twitter.

Xaerve
08-09-2009, 08:57 AM
<Fashykekes> Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Jayvn
08-09-2009, 09:17 AM

YOUR MOM!

.... :)

Geshron
08-09-2009, 09:37 AM

We're from Chicago, it's inherent.

Bhuryn
08-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a G1 which has different (better) apps and also shares some with the iPhone.

My favs are:
shazam
maps
Doom (the game, controls aren't perfect, but what do you expect?)
PapiJump
TelNet
Where's My Droid? (you text message your phone a preset code word and it rings for up to 5 minutes and texts back its GPS location)
LukLuk (streams free first run movies from a Hong Kong server)

I wish i could get a G1 sadly AT&T is the only provider that has service at our farm.

Gan
08-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd say the Iphone definately has it all over the Blackberry. I'm switching over when my contract is up for renewal.

Nieninque
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
g1 > iphone

Favourite app is probably the cinema one.
Use Steel, aContacts and chompSMS a ton.

Warriorbird
08-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I wish i could get a G1 sadly AT&T is the only provider that has service at our farm.

I hate rural cell monopolies. We're stuck with Verizon.

Donquix
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM

My favs are:

I can't?

(this message was posted from a computer tethered to my, not jailbroken, iphone)

Nieninque
08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Actually, favourite app is youtube downloader,

Nieninque
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I can't?

(this message was posted from a computer tethered to my, not jailbroken, iphone)

You can tether g1 without jailbreaking.

Donquix
08-09-2009, 01:47 PM
You can tether g1 without jailbreaking.

let me quote myself for you...i'll bold the important bit...

I can't?

Drew
08-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I can't?

Sure, direct me to where the app is that I can download today and do it on my iPhone.

Androidpk
08-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Did you get one of the newer iphones? A white one?

Fallen
08-09-2009, 02:54 PM
iPhone can't run multiple apps at once without jailbreaking.

The Ponzzz
08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
The iPod Touch is a great substitute if you don't wish to deal with AT&T and already have a smartphone.

Donquix
08-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Sure, direct me to where the app is that I can download today and do it on my iPhone.

No app necessary, just need the correct config file. Which con be obtained through various ways...

http://gizmodo.com/5175391/how-to-enable-3g-tethering-in-your-iphone-30-now

or

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

for instance.

ATT, i'm sure, will be working on shutting this down, as last I heard they wanted to charge an ADDITIONAl 30 bucks a month for tethering (don't I already pay for "unlimited" data service ATT? seorusly...) but just mentioning, since 3.0 (and updated to 3.1 now) i've been tethering on my phone without issue. It was stupid easy to setup, my phone has no other modifications on it what so ever other than the config file, which changing is a standard part of the unlocked, unjailbroken OS. (all it's doing is putting in the info for ATTs servers for the tethered connection, apple put in the functionality but just didn't configure it with the 3.0 update)

I'm not making the case that the G1 isn't FAR more flexible than the frustratingly closed ATT/iPhone unholy matrimony...if i was paying for my own phone, i'd have an Android powered device without question. luckily work provides me with one, so i'll be happy with my free iPhone :)

Mainly for the multitasking, applications running in the background capibilities. The things you can do with apps like Growl is amazing. Like the google employee who hooked his home garage door into his home wifi network, and made a growl event on his phone that if his home network becomes available to the phone 15 minutes or less after he gets out of range of the BART's wifi network, it opens his garage door for him.

Hotness.

Fallen
08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
What is tethering?

Donquix
08-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Using your phone as a modem, basically. you connect your computer to the phone through either a USB/bluetooth connection or as an AdHoc wireless connection and the computer goes through the phone to get internet connectivity through the 3g network.

Drew
08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
No app necessary, just need the correct config file. Which con be obtained through various ways...

http://gizmodo.com/5175391/how-to-enable-3g-tethering-in-your-iphone-30-now

or

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

for instance.

ATT, i'm sure, will be working on shutting this down, as last I heard they wanted to charge an ADDITIONAl 30 bucks a month for tethering (don't I already pay for "unlimited" data service ATT? seorusly...) but just mentioning, since 3.0 (and updated to 3.1 now) i've been tethering on my phone without issue. It was stupid easy to setup, my phone has no other modifications on it what so ever other than the config file, which changing is a standard part of the unlocked, unjailbroken OS. (all it's doing is putting in the info for ATTs servers for the tethered connection, apple put in the functionality but just didn't configure it with the 3.0 update)

I'm not making the case that the G1 isn't FAR more flexible than the frustratingly closed ATT/iPhone unholy matrimony...if i was paying for my own phone, i'd have an Android powered device without question. luckily work provides me with one, so i'll be happy with my free iPhone :)

Mainly for the multitasking, applications running in the background capibilities. The things you can do with apps like Growl is amazing. Like the google employee who hooked his home garage door into his home wifi network, and made a growl event on his phone that if his home network becomes available to the phone 15 minutes or less after he gets out of range of the BART's wifi network, it opens his garage door for him.

Hotness.

Cool, I stand corrected.

What is tethering?

When I travel and the hotel charges 20 bucks a night for wi-fi: it's the last laugh.

Methais
08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
What's jailbreaking and how do you do it?

TheLastShamurai
08-09-2009, 07:40 PM
What's jailbreaking and how do you do it?

Step 1: Get a full body tattoo.
Step 2: Commit a crime.
Step 3: Look serious, this is serious biz.
Step 4: Break out of jail using your super leet tattoo.
Step 5: ?
Step 6: Profit

Methais
08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Step 1: Get a full body tattoo.
Step 2: Commit a crime.
Step 3: Look serious, this is serious biz.
Step 4: Break out of jail using your super leet tattoo.
Step 5: ?
Step 6: Profit

What if I have one of those wolf shirts from the other thread? I could probably just walk out the front door with the Warden holding the door for me and a limousine waiting out front with Morgan Freeman driving it.

Actually, if I had that shirt while I was committing said crime, the law would be temporarily changed so that I wasn't committing a crime, making it impossible for me to go to jail in the first place.

Therefore, life changing wolf shirts are not compatible with iPhones.

TheLastShamurai
08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I wonder if there is a background in the background app with some wolves.

TheLastShamurai
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
On topic though, a quick search revealed this...

When you want to add ringtones, change wallpaper, or run third-party applications on your iPhone, you need to perform a task called "jailbreaking". What this does is to open up your iPhone's file system so it can be accessed from your computer. There are a number of tools available to jailbreak.

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/08/iphone-hacking-101-jailbreaking/

Methais
08-09-2009, 07:58 PM
On topic though, a quick search revealed this...

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/08/iphone-hacking-101-jailbreaking/

Oh damn. So basically you can't get shit like ringtones without buying them, unless you jailbreak?

Sounds like a incredible pain in the ass for non Mac users according to the article. :(

Donquix
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
That's not entirely accurate. You can add ringtones fine, same with wallapers.

Jailbreaking, in short, gets rid of the limitations and protections ATT/Apple have programed into the phone. Most notably for the iphone, it lets you add apps from any source you choose. On a non-jailbroken phone, you can ONLY get apps from the appstore, if apple hasn't approved it you can't get it (and their list of arbitrarily dumbass rejections to the app store is long and storied...)

So it lets you do apps which do a host of things that apple or ATT won't allow. Such as...

tethering (att i'm sure will be blocking this soon, so they can squeeeeze more money out of you for no reason)

Using your 3G data access for all applications (currently you can't use things like Skype or google voice apps on 3g, only on wifi)

apps with 'questionable content' (if a game/app has profanity or adult content...it was likely rejected by the app store. This has included an EBOOK READER on the grounds that some of the books you could then read on the iphone would have NAUGHTY THEMES! OMGZ!)

running apps in the background/multitasking (currently the iphone can only run 1 app, and you can't have an app run in the background. i.e. if you close the aim application to check your email, you just signed out of aim. that's dumb)

etc.

By jailreaking you can get apps that do all of those things.

Donquix
08-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh damn. So basically you can't get shit like ringtones without buying them, unless you jailbreak?

Sounds like a incredible pain in the ass for non Mac users according to the article. :(

That's not accurate, you can add whatever ringtones you want on an iphone, all within itunes basically and it's really easy.

chop the ringtone down to 30seconds or less (this can be done in itunes), change the file extension to the "ringtone" file extension, sync, voila.

http://theappleblog.com/2008/08/07/free-custom-iphone-ringtones-using-only-itunes/

Widgets
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Jailbreaking is VERY easy. As all you do is DL software to your desktop, hardboot your phone after running the shit, and the rest is all told how to do via the software.

I like having video recording capabilities on my $99 3G...Fuck the 3GS and it's "Faster" Processor speed which isn't even listed in the Tech Specs on the sheet. I wasn't about to pay 200 extra bucks for that, as my phone basically does everything the new 3gS does.

The Ponzzz
08-09-2009, 08:35 PM

Welcome to Apple's world.

Fallen
08-09-2009, 09:31 PM
All I want to do is run multiple apps at once. I will likely try to jailbreak the phone soon. Anyone have a good link to jailbreak for multiple apps?

Methais
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
That's not accurate, you can add whatever ringtones you want on an iphone, all within itunes basically and it's really easy.

chop the ringtone down to 30seconds or less (this can be done in itunes), change the file extension to the "ringtone" file extension, sync, voila.

http://theappleblog.com/2008/08/07/free-custom-iphone-ringtones-using-only-itunes/

Nice, that's awesome. Thanks.

Cephalopod
08-09-2009, 10:27 PM
All I want to do is run multiple apps at once. I will likely try to jailbreak the phone soon. Anyone have a good link to jailbreak for multiple apps?

Haven't ever tried this before, so I can't say if it'll work or not:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/02/iphone-backgrounder-force-multiple-apps-to-run-at-once/

Not sure if there's an update for the 3.0 firmware.

I can't imagine not having a jailbroken iPhone.

Bhuryn
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I haven't jailbroken one but I believe purplera1n and ultrasn0w are the two most widely used.

Widgets
08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Correct. And there is a newer firmware out now, 3.01 so I'm holding off on jailbreaking the phone again until I make sure they are stable with the newest firmware

Gan
01-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Picking up my new Iphone today. :)

Trading in the Blackberry.

Methais
01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Picking up my new Iphone today. :)

Trading in the Blackberry.

Racist.

Gan
01-01-2010, 10:26 PM
False Alarm. Still have 30 days to go. :(

Deathravin
01-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Ya... iPhones are nice.

For everything except making calls.

Parkbandit
01-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Ya... iPhones are nice.

For everything except making calls.

I've never had an issue with my iPhone, it might just be your localized area.

BriarFox
01-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I've had an iPhone 3G for three months now, and I freaking love the thing. It condenses about 12 gadgets to one.

Kitsun
01-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I got my iPhone a few months ago too. I love it.

I do have some issues with connecting sometimes but it wasn't much different from my Verizon cell.

I've got more games loaded than is probably healthy for me though.

Methais
01-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I never have problems making calls with my iPhone either.

Fallen
01-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I love mine. Not a huge fan of having to update my phone like I do my computer, and I fucking hate I-tunes, but otherwise, it is a LOT of fun.

Methais
01-02-2010, 03:17 PM
It's only a matter of time until the "Goatse stretch" app comes out I bet, making full use of the touch screen.

Gan
01-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I do have some issues with connecting sometimes but it wasn't much different from my Verizon cell.
A buddy of mine had this issue and when he started dropping multiple calls in a row because of his phone - his carrier just swapped it out with a new one.

It condenses about 12 gadgets to one.
This is what I'm after. Music, personal computing, and a phone/client database all in one.

BriarFox
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
This is what I'm after. Music, personal computing, and a phone/client database all in one.

Yeah - music, calendar, alarms, stopwatch, internet, email, text messages, phone calls, camera, GPS and maps, contact database, notepad, calculator, etc. Apps make the utility explode, too - I particularly love the Kindle app, which turns it into an ebook reader.

Bobmuhthol
01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow, your iPhone can do all that? It's like every other phone on the market!

Parkbandit
01-03-2010, 12:01 AM

Every other phone?

I'll go ahead and let you know you are 100% wrong in that assumption.

Bobmuhthol
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't expect that you would prove a point by including phones that cost less than 1/5 of the iPhone's price. I retract my point and substitute it with "Wow, your iPhone can do all that? So can every phone I can get free from entering into a contract!"

BriarFox
01-03-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't expect that you would prove a point by including phones that cost less than 1/5 of the iPhone's price. I retract my point and substitute it with "Wow, your iPhone can do all that? So can every phone I can get free from entering into a contract!"

Whatever works for you. I haven't found anything nearly comparable to the versatility and facility of my iPhone.

BigWorm
01-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Whatever works for you. I haven't found anything nearly comparable to the versatility and facility of my iPhone.

Have you ever used a WebOS or Android phone?

Clove
01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Apps make the utility explode, too - I particularly love the Kindle app, which turns it into an ebook reader.
Wow, your iPhone can do all that? It's like every other phone on the market!orly?

Bobmuhthol
01-03-2010, 12:45 AM
There are fucking MP3 players that can read ebooks. I will admit my phone doesn't have a useless ebook app. You got me.

Clove
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
There are fucking MP3 players that can read ebooks. I will admit my phone doesn't have a useless ebook app. You got me.Just STFU then Bob. An iPhone isn't just like every other phone you can get for free on a standard contract (just like the rest of the smart phones aren't). Deal with the concept that perhaps the reason so many people like Apple products because they are good products (not simply because they just aren't as clever as you). Christ I'm beginning to think your mom was raped by Steve Jobs or something.

BriarFox
01-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Have you ever used a WebOS or Android phone?

I've heard good things, but I haven't played with one.

Bobmuhthol
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
<<An iPhone isn't just like every other phone you can get for free on a standard contract>>

music, calendar, alarms, stopwatch, internet, email, text messages, phone calls, camera, GPS and maps, contact database, notepad, calculator

I disagree.

<<Deal with the concept that perhaps the reason so many people like Apple products because they are good products>>

No, they aren't.

BriarFox
01-03-2010, 01:12 AM
<<An iPhone isn't just like every other phone you can get for free on a standard contract>>

I disagree.

<<Deal with the concept that perhaps the reason so many people like Apple products because they are good products>>

No, they aren't.

The issue there is one of qualitative difference, not quantitative - though Apple has more than its share of quantitative advantages, too, particularly with the apps.

Gan
01-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Yea, this is like every other calculator on the market too.

http://www.brianmicklethwait.com/education/archives/Abacus.gif

Clove
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I disagree.Because you're either a fool or deliberately obtuse.

Parkbandit
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Just STFU then Bob. An iPhone isn't just like every other phone you can get for free on a standard contract (just like the rest of the smart phones aren't). Deal with the concept that perhaps the reason so many people like Apple products because they are good products (not simply because they just aren't as clever as you). Christ I'm beginning to think your mom was raped by Steve Jobs or something.

Being anti-establishment is what Bob thinks will make him look cool.

Look, he still manages to avoid using the established quote feature here.. and look how cool it makes him look.

Parkbandit
01-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I disagree.

No, they aren't.

http://flywithbats.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fuck-police.jpg