PDA

View Full Version : Man kills 300 pound bear with log

Drew
08-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Ex-Marine Kills 300-Pound Bear With Log
The Incident Is the Latest in a String of Bear Attacks

June 22, 2007 —

Chris Everhart just had a Father's Day he'll never forget.

The ex-Marine saved the lives of his three young sons when a 300-pound bear attacked their Georgia campsite last weekend.

While cleaning up after dinner, the family came face to face with the large animal.

"From out of nowhere we heard this loud crash," Everhart said on "Good Morning America." "For a second, I didn't know what it was, but I realized it was a bear. I went to the back of the Jeep to get my pots and pans to scare the bear off."

At the same time, Everhart's 6-year-old son, Logan, tried to frighten the animal. Instead of running away, the bear turned on the boy. Logan's brother, Kyle, tried to help him.

"I threw about five rocks at the bear to keep him away," Kyle Everhart said.

Realizing his sons could be killed, Everhart grabbed a log and threw it at the bear's head, striking and killing him.

"I forgot all about pots and pans and picked up whatever I could to try to distract, fend off, do what I could to get this bear away," Everhart said.

Latest in a String of Bear Attacks

The Georgia campsite incident is the latest in a string of bear attacks. One week ago in Utah's American Fork Canyon, 11-year-old Sam Ives died after a black bear dragged him from his tent and fatally mauled him.

The same bear ripped through another couple's tent hours before the attack. It was later killed and airlifted out of the park.

In upstate New York Monday, a black bear was caught strolling in and out of yards in a small residential neighborhood.

Jim Karpowitz of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources believes the abundance of bear sightings may be due to recent droughts.

"When it's hot and dry like this bears are short on food and they go looking for food and sometimes they create problems," he said.

For Everhart, the 300-pound bear that attacked his sons was almost a problem too big to handle.

"This one got a little too aggressive for me," he said. "If the bear had gotten near my kids, I would have just jumped on it. Knowing me, that's what I would have done, anything to make sure my kids were safe."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3306263

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Former Marine, not Ex-Marine. Fucking liberal media :)

Gelston
08-03-2009, 07:58 AM
I consider them ex-Marines if they were dishonorably discharged only.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 07:59 AM
I consider them ex-Marines if they were dishonorably discharged only. I don't. At that point they were never Marines just pieces of shit that slipped through the cracks in the system until they were found and flushed.

Gelston
08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Different stroke for different folks. I feel people can lose things based on their actions.

Celephais
08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
What rolls down stairs
Alone or in pairs;
Rolls over your neighbor's bear?
What's great for a snack
And fits on your back?
It's log, log, log!

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 08:18 AM
What rolls down stairs
Alone or in pairs;
Rolls over your neighbor's bear?
What's great for a snack
And fits on your back?
It's log, log, log!

It's log, it's log
It's big, it's heavy, it's WOOD
It's log, it's log
It's better than bad, it's GOOD!

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Different stroke for different folks. I feel people can lose things based on their actions.

Me too, they lose the right to use the word Marine to describe themselves, even with Ex in front of it.

Gelston
08-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Me too, they lose the right to use the word Marine to describe themselves, even with Ex in front of it.

Ah. Good point.

Fallen
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
That's no small feat as heroics go, but isn't 300 pounds on the smaller side of the average bear?

Nawp: Looks like that is average for grizzly bears. Black bears can go 200-600. Polar bears can get to be like 900 pounds.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah that's not a big bear. But it's still a bear.

Fallen
08-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah that's not a big bear. But it's still a bear.

Agreed. Is it odd I still feel bad for the bear? Fucker had it coming, but he was a victim of circumstance too.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I would like to think that had the bear not turned towards the kids he could have gone on his merry way.

Fallen
08-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I would like to think that had the bear not turned towards the kids he could have gone on his merry way.

Dude..we both know that wasn't going to happen. Little kids are tasty.

Celephais
08-03-2009, 09:14 AM
http://www.gordonuniverse.com/octopuscope/deepfocus/ewok2.jpg

Fallen
08-03-2009, 09:15 AM
http://www.gordonuniverse.com/octopuscope/deepfocus/ewok2.jpg

Awesome.

Baelog
08-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Was it wrong of me for the first thought in my head to be

"He killed a bear with a log? Must not be a T'Kirem..."

Celephais
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Awesome.
I was also looking for a picture of the predator getting smashed by that log trap... couldn't find it, but this was better anyway.

ElvenFury
08-03-2009, 09:56 AM
If Ewoks joined the military, apparently they'd be Marines.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
300 lbs of anything with claws and teeth is pretty big in my book. I was kind of disappointed it was a single boom head shot instead of some epic 3 hour long battle. I wonder if he skinned it and made a rug, and then a bat out of the log.

Winter's Kiss
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Was it wrong of me for the first thought in my head to be

"He killed a bear with a log? Must not be a T'Kirem..."

This made me snicker.. :love:

Bhuryn
08-03-2009, 10:36 AM
That's no small feat as heroics go, but isn't 300 pounds on the smaller side of the average bear?

Nawp: Looks like that is average for grizzly bears. Black bears can go 200-600. Polar bears can get to be like 900 pounds.

That must have been one big ass log and he must have thrown it awfully damn hard to kill a bear.

Poor bear.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
That must have been one big ass log and he must have thrown it awfully damn hard to kill a bear.

Poor bear.
Probably not, blunt force trauma is always a good option. Hell he was just remembering his training of squash the grape. I'd be more impressed if he could throw a log and kill a cow. Holy shit cow skulls are crazy thick (not that I've shot one in the head with a .22LR just to have it bleed a little and moo at me or anything)....

Bhuryn
08-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Probably not, blunt force trauma is always a good option. Hell he was just remembering his training of squash the grape. I'd be more impressed if he could throw a log and kill a cow. Holy shit cow skulls are crazy thick (not that I've shot one in the head with a .22LR just to have it bleed a little and moo at me or anything)....

You realize that a bear skull can deflect small handgun fire from fairly close range right? =P.

Gelston
08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, it was a smaller bear. Probably hadn't been fully developed yet, mixed with shit tons of luck.

Androidpk
08-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Are you calling this marine a baby killer? :D

TheEschaton
08-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I preferred the article about the little kid who played a huntard in WoW and when he was trapped by a bear, he feigned death til it went away.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I preferred the article about the little kid who played a huntard in WoW and when he was trapped by a bear, he feigned death til it went away.
I was hoping the bear would shift out and moonfire his ass to death, sadly some bears just don't get it.

Celephais
08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Awesome.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/GuinnessKMF/Log.gif
Might as well have the animated version.

Donquix
08-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I was also looking for a picture of the predator getting smashed by that log trap... couldn't find it, but this was better anyway.

This picture turned up on the 2nd page of a GIS for "predator log trap"

it amused me.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/428/chrishansenwatchingyouiw8.jpg

AnticorRifling
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I hate my friends. I've had several texts asking me:

Why did you kill that bear?

Did you kill it because it was after your snacks and you never get between a fat man and his snacks?

Did you eat the bear?

Did your ankles blow out from the combined weight of the log and your own body mass?

etc.

Fuckers.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
08-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Totally off topic but the huntard comment cracked me up. My brother has a huntard and some uber equipment - he likes to aggro the shit out of stuff, run up next to me and FD. Pisses me off, but it does crack me up cause I'd do it if I could FD.

Donquix
08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I was a huntard when i went back to wow for WotLK.

I balanced that out by being a priest in classic and BC.

TheEschaton
08-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Priests are by far the toughest class in the game to play well. :P

SHAFT
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
If there's no video I don't believe it

Donquix
08-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Priests are by far the toughest class in the game to play well. :P

I never found them that difficult but so many people play them horribly.