PDA

View Full Version : Tsoran Replacement?

Swami71
07-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Anyone out there know how to make those maps? Could use some for the new hunting areas in RR and Vaalor (I'm sure theres others too).

EDIT: Thanks The Last Shamurai, a.k.a. Mikoguchi

Swami71
07-28-2009, 03:54 AM
For copywrite reasons Auryana suggested using circles. :lol:

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 04:04 AM
Hah. I believe someone has mapped those places. It is a google site, if I remember correctly. I'll try to find it.

Deathravin
07-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Long live the dodecahedron!

Loyrl
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
The rivers rest mapping people or something or another mapped the area. Google is your friend.

Although, the site I found (http://www.riversrestresponseteam.com/Marsh_Keep.GIF) is down.

Kitsun
07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
There was a Google group "Elanthian Geographic Society" that was formed to map new areas but nothing ever materialized from it. I like mapping events but I only hunt OTF so I don't have much motivation to run to new hunting areas.

Bhuryn
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
http://groups.google.com/group/ElanthianGS

Sylvan Archer
07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.outdoorelanthia.com/maps/

Deathravin
07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Now those outdoorelanthia maps are pretty good... Should use those for Narost.
They also haven't been updated in some time though.

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I can't map easily, pain in the ass... But I really hope someone new can step up to the plate.

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
What all needs to be mapped?

AMUSED1
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
I think the Citadel in River's Rest, and Marsh Keep, need to be mapped better. Also the new trail from Illistim to Vaalor that lets you skip the ferry needs to be mapped. And then The Scatter, the new Rift area, will need to be mapped.

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
How would you guys recommend making them? What program, etc?

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
When I make my little maps, I just used my Photo Filtre program. I think Paint Shop Pro would be a good choice (over photoshop).

The key is drawing a rough sketch to get the vision on how it looks, unless you rather do the computer graphic mapping on a trial and error look.

ElvenFury
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Tsoran used Visio, I believe. I'd probably use Illustrator, were it me, but that's only because I already own it.

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, I'll download a trial of Visio and give it a go.

So we have the new Vaalor to OTF trail, the Citadel in RR, and Marsh Keep? Where is Marsh Keep at?

Danical
07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
RR

Swami71
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Sunfist Outposts would be good to have on a map and the volcanic flats in Teras got some new rooms I think.

Does Tsoran make money with the Ad's on his site?

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Wait, is there a part of the Citadel missing from Tsorans maps? Or you just don't like the layout?

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Sunfist Outposts would be good to have on a map and the volcanic flats in Teras got some new rooms I think.

Does Tsoran make money with the Ad's on his site?

Ah, the flats yeah. I forgot about that.

Asrial
07-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Whoever is going to do this, there's also some errors/updates that need to be fixed on Tsoran's maps.

Also, I could have sworn there was a program out there that was made for text-based games to make maps as you move around.

The thing I like so much about Tsoran's maps is that they're all in one spot and, until he left, were all accurate.

I don't want to have to Google for some 4 year old map with errors or find someone I like but they just do River's Rest and no where else.

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah, if someone is going to do it, I would highly suggest re doing every single map and updating it that way. Having a one stop site for maps is so much better than having to check 3 different sites.

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
And like always, if you don't want to host them, I am always willing for them to be hosted on GSGuide.net. If someone is serious about it, I will make a namespace on the wiki for it and design the pages.

Deathravin
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
(I know it's sort of big-brothery but it's a game)
With proper time spent and coding, one could make a lich script that watched you and others do things, and sent pertinent data up to a central database.

Could then have a web-based interactive collection of data. From maps, to every critter metric you could think of, to foraging locations, the possabilities are pretty endless... All parsed and created in real-time with minimal admin involvement.

Unfortunately I don't wanna do it, and only a few people that play GS would be up to the task. But that would be the ultimate. Pop a banner ad on the top and start raking in the .0001c per page load.

Bhuryn
07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
(I know it's sort of big-brothery but it's a game)
With proper time spent and coding, one could make a lich script that watched you and others do things, and sent pertinent data up to a central database.

Could then have a web-based interactive collection of data. From maps, to every critter metric you could think of, to foraging locations, the possabilities are pretty endless...

Unfortunately I don't wanna do it, and only a few people that play GS would be up to the task. But that would be the ultimate. Pop a banner ad on the top and start raking in the .0001c per page load.

I was actually thinking about offering a similar option in psinet if Jamus decides to allows dll imports. Unfortunatly I can't get lich to run along with PSINET (yeah, I tried every "guide" a dozen times). The idea was, which critter offers the most consistant value (treasure, skins), Where is the best place to get <insert item>, Anything cool drop this week?!, Etc.

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, but a lot of people choose not to use psinet or lich (like me).

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
And like always, if you don't want to host them, I am always willing for them to be hosted on GSGuide.net. If someone is serious about it, I will make a namespace on the wiki for it and design the pages.

I'm going to attempt to map the Vaalor/OTF trail, and if it turns out well we'll post it up on your site and try to do some more.

The Ponzzz
07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
You rock.

TheLastShamurai
07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
By the way, does anyone know where the trail starts? :)

Bhuryn
07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but a lot of people choose not to use psinet or lich (like me).

That wouldn't mean you couldn't still benefit from the information (through the website) though. Just that you wouldn't help collect it.

Deathravin
07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
I was actually thinking about offering a similar option in psinet if Jamus decides to allows dll imports. Unfortunatly I can't get lich to run along with PSINET (yeah, I tried every "guide" a dozen times). The idea was, which critter offers the most consistant value (treasure, skins), Where is the best place to get <insert item>, Anything cool drop this week?!, Etc.

That's been fixed in the last week or two. Many people run the new one together with Psinet now. I guess there's a lich script that does it... installpsinet.lic (2K, 7-15-2009)

works fine.

Asrial
07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Let us know how it goes Mikoguchi and I'll forward you all my knowledge of 'this is an error' places.

The only one off the top of my head is the the stairs are in the wrong spot for the Nelemar map.

Also...

I know Tsoran was under certain obligations back in the day with Simutronics, but if something's a secret.. I still want to know where in the hell it is.

Deathravin
07-28-2009, 06:28 PM
From looking at that script looks like the order is...

from scratch:
Install SGE
Launch into SF so it installs (close SF dummy)
Install Ruby
Install Ruby GTK bindings if you want narost to work and you do...
Extract Lich somewhere
Install Lich
Launch into Lich, let it update
Close & Launch again, make sure no new updates & make sure narost works (pretty good indicator if everything works)
Run installpsinet.lic
Close
Install psinet normally
Launch and rejoice.

Donquix
07-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Yup, the installpsinet.lic script method works fine, just uninstall psinet/lich (uninstall in order of: psinet, lich) reinstall the launcher (just to be safe) and do as above (lich->run the install script->psinet). Done it at home and work now with zero problems.

The only issue is you get the stranded command prompt window now in the work around tillmen used, you can x it out after the game has successfully launched.

RojoDisco
07-28-2009, 08:37 PM
If somebody remaps all of Elanthia including nodes and temples I will sux some cox....or boobs (whateva. i got no standards)

But yeah. It needs to be done.

Deathravin
07-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I used to suck dick for maps...
You ever suck some dick for maps?

HUUH!

RojoDisco
07-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I like where you're going with this. But I cant rep you. :(

You will be bloodninjad l8r.

Also. Make a map. Thanks. BAI.

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 01:54 AM
OK, here it is. Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Hmmm, came out a little small on the upload.

Swami71
07-29-2009, 02:21 AM
OK, here it is. Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Hmmm, came out a little small on the upload.

Looks usable. Not as good as Tsoran of course. There's something about the solid black squares I don't like (especially the double squares near the bridge). Also does it take up a 8x11 page? I think Tsorans take up a full 8x11 no matter how big or small the area. You did good though just trying to give you feedback. :thanx:

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Looks usable. Not as good as Tsoran of course. There's something about the solid black squares I don't like (especially the double squares near the bridge). Also does it take up a 8x11 page? I think Tsorans take up a full 8x11 no matter how big or small the area. You did good though just trying to give you feedback. :thanx:

Actually it was being saved at 5 X 8.5 @ 75% for some reason. Fixed it to save 11 X 8.5 @ 100%.

I made the rooms by the bridge 2 X 2 blocks instead of 1 X 2 to reduce confusion.

Got rid of the solid black. Kinda on the fence about this, I liked the solid black. Need moar input from people about this one.

Better? Worse?

Androidpk
07-29-2009, 02:59 AM
I prefer the white blocks.

The Ponzzz
07-29-2009, 03:04 AM
I like the the new one with the black outline, rather than the black solids. That pic is still now saving at 100% though, for some reason. Great work though.

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 03:05 AM
I prefer the white blocks.

I like the the new one with the black outline, rather than the black solids.

http://www.w3bdevil.com/forums/No-Darth_Vader.jpg

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 03:12 AM
That pic is still now saving at 100% though, for some reason. Great work though.

Yeah, the first was saving at 75%, while cutting down the image. The second is larger and at 100%.

Should I save it bigger/smaller, different percentage?

Can try a few different sizes to see what turns out best.

The Ponzzz
07-29-2009, 03:27 AM
I would save them large, like how Tsoran does. Resizing isn't an issue, for most people, these days.

kookiegod
07-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Tsoran just moved onto WoW a few years ago. No secrets or secret agreements, sheesh. He plays/played with one of his kids the last time him and I talked on the phone and doing well.

~Paul

Danical
07-29-2009, 03:31 AM

SERIOUS QUESTION:

Why do you use PsiNet?

I can't see a reason now that Tillmen has updated Lich.

If you use PsiNet for chatting then disregard.

Swami71
07-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Because I FAIL at installing Tillmen's lich. (I know the question wasn't for me)

Swami71
07-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Tsoran just moved onto WoW a few years ago. No secrets or secret agreements, sheesh. He plays/played with one of his kids the last time him and I talked on the phone and doing well.

~Paul

I think they were talking about IG secret passages/puzzles.

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 03:40 AM
I would save them large, like how Tsoran does. Resizing isn't an issue, for most people, these days.

Well, I couldn't upload it here larger because of size restrictions, but after I work out ze'kinks we can put it on GSGuide with a larger size.

The Ponzzz
07-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Yeah, totally. I like it.

kookiegod
07-29-2009, 04:09 AM
SERIOUS QUESTION:

Why do you use PsiNet?

Yep, I use it for the chat, and atlas...

~Paul

kookiegod
07-29-2009, 04:10 AM
I think they were talking about IG secret passages/puzzles.

Ahh, ok, I guess I missed something, but been a long day, thanks for clarifying.

~Paul

deadly
07-29-2009, 04:55 AM
just wish these could be updated so we can add them into atlas or narost(tillmens lich map).

so if anybody can figure out how to get all the new areas updated on a map and add them to atlas or narost and make it usable i will start a collection of silver which i will put in 1mil of my own silver for ALL non mapped locations.

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Oke doke, here is my second crude effort. Changed things up a bit.

The final product will be a GIF file, which seems to get much better resolution at larger diameters. So it will pretty much look like a Tsoran map {size wise} when it's all said and done.

Critique please.

Asrial
07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Very nice. Definitely download worthy Mikoguchi :)

..and yes.. I prefer the white boxes too (perhaps we're all just too used to Tsoran).

..and I meant about Tsoran possibly being asked by Simutronics to not include game secrets on his maps.

Danical
07-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Yep, I use it for the chat, and atlas...

~Paul

Atlas is insanely inferior compared to Tillmen's Map.dat + ;go2.

I miss the old days of PsiNet chat. Like 4-5 years ago?

Now it just fills a void that's been left from the mass exodus of my GS friends. :(

ElvenFury
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Miko, if you put that map on a portrait letter page (vs the landscape that you've got going now) you'll be able to make it bigger on the page, and therefore have greater detail at the same resolution. Right now you've got a lot of negative space on the page, which is really just a waste. Kudos on taking the time.

Aethor
07-29-2009, 10:51 AM
RR marsh link==> http://elanthiangs.googlegroups.com/web/MarshKeep1.2.JPG?gda=JJB890IAAAAGMNM4EDICOiiHKwr5y Fs1tZg1JS73ZlMzYycSA4KJzjwja_fuslMZJFxwK7tfENZV4u3 aa4iAIyYQIqbG9naPgh6o8ccLBvP6Chud5KMzIQ

Aradhul Road map link ==> http://forum.gsplayers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2800&d=1248860093

The Ravelin (Sorcerer's Isle in vaalor)==> http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/sorcisle2.jpg

NOTE if you fail the swim or die on aradhul road and get swept into the river you will end up in Sorcerers Isle dead

Cephalopod
07-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Holy shit, Aethor is back? I thought he died from a meth overdose.

Bhuryn
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
SERIOUS QUESTION:

Why do you use PsiNet?

Inventory organiziation, spellup, chatting, alias, atlas, etc. I die a little bit inside when I look in my cloak and it doesn't organize it into categories now.

Once we finish moving and I have everything setup again I might see if I can get it installed properly on my other machines.

With ;go2 what happens if I'm tasked to hunt say, lesser orcs in one a specific area? Do I have to ;go2 Burrow or if I ;go2 lesser orcs will it give me an option to select which?

Aethor
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Samurai perhaps you could take my sorcerer's isle image and redo it so that it conforms to the norm images of our time in elanthia

on my live skydrive i have close to 105 elanthian maps heres a link

http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/

Aethor
07-29-2009, 12:04 PM

nah not dead, just a stroke, from unhealthy living habits. now that im back on track and back in game only one thing left to do, CRITICIZE YOU. I dont do drugs, im a retired truck driver, i dont drink, Gemstone IV is my hobby, besides gardening, mowing the lawn and doing wife tasks(better known as honey doo's)

Aethor
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM

And just where have you been, ive been back in game for almost a full month now, BIATCH!

:wtf:

Anebriated
07-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Inventory organiziation, spellup, chatting, alias, atlas, etc. I die a little bit inside when I look in my cloak and it doesn't organize it into categories now.

Once we finish moving and I have everything setup again I might see if I can get it installed properly on my other machines.

With ;go2 what happens if I'm tasked to hunt say, lesser orcs in one a specific area? Do I have to ;go2 Burrow or if I ;go2 lesser orcs will it give me an option to select which?

you can just save a target room and them ;go2 saved room. Its pretty handy and its nice that no matter what town im in i can do ;go2 town or ;go2 bank and it will take me there without me specifying town.

also Lich has alias' so you can take that off the list of things PSInet has that Lich doesnt.

Really the only thing I cant do in Lich that PsiNet has is the inventory organization and im pretty sure one of the better lich scripters can take care of that at some point.

Numbers
07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I still don't understand why Simu doesn't publish maps, especially with a declining player base. I'd figure that whenever they could get a truly new player, they'd want to make the game as easy as possible for them to get into.

I remember when I first started playing, back in 1972, I was lost as fuck. It wasn't until I found Zepath's maps that the game started to make sense. I had a binder full of his maps.

The game shouldn't need to rely on a Zepath or a Tsoran just so people can figure out where the hell they should go.

Aethor
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
new map produced by my ne verison of visio for the Wl Wizard guild, im slow but slowly getting better

Wl wizard guild link ==> Http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/WL-Wizard-Guild.gif

you can find all 117 Gemstone maps in one location there also

Im not Tsoran but i will get better with time. but ive got every map i could find of elanthia located there

Deathravin
07-29-2009, 03:36 PM

I usually find it on Narost, shift-click it and then set up an alias for it... ;go2 save lesserorc=#### if I'm going to be going there a lot. If not, just click it on the map and I'm there.

Lumi
07-29-2009, 05:40 PM
you can just save a target room and them ;go2 saved room. Its pretty handy and its nice that no matter what town im in i can do ;go2 town or ;go2 bank and it will take me there without me specifying town.

also Lich has alias' so you can take that off the list of things PSInet has that Lich doesnt.

Really the only thing I cant do in Lich that PsiNet has is the inventory organization and im pretty sure one of the better lich scripters can take care of that at some point.

When this is a standard part of Lich, I'll probably try it.

Deathravin
07-29-2009, 05:59 PM

What does it look like when you use it in psinet?

Danical
07-29-2009, 06:30 PM

I don't ever look in my inventory/containers because I have my selling/purifying/popping script parse everything out of my constantly-updating container arrays.

Bhuryn
07-29-2009, 06:37 PM
What does it look like when you use it in psinet?

<STuff here that doesn't fit specific categories>
Gems: Gem1 (x15), Gem2 (X10), Gem3
Boxes: Some Strongbox, Some coffer
Magic: Blue Crystal (X10), White Crystal (X5)
Herbs:

etc.

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Miko, if you put that map on a portrait letter page (vs the landscape that you've got going now) you'll be able to make it bigger on the page, and therefore have greater detail at the same resolution. Right now you've got a lot of negative space on the page, which is really just a waste. Kudos on taking the time.

To be honest I'm not very program savvy, and I'm using a trial version of Visio, so I'm not even sure if it has a portrait letter page. Not really sure what to do about the negative spaces though, seems like if I make the pieces of the map any bigger I quickly run out of room.

if you fail the swim or die on aradhul road and get swept into the river you will end up in Sorcerers Isle dead

Happen to know which room it spits you out to? If so I can mark it on the maps.

Samurai perhaps you could take my sorcerer's isle image and redo it so that it conforms to the norm images of our time in elanthia

I actually did the Ravelin, Mistydeep and Sorcerer's Isle last night. It's just a first crude effort, so people need to look at it and critique it/correct any mistakes I might have made.

The Ponzzz
07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
This map was much cleaner and very classy. You have my stamp of approval.

Asrial
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Likewise.

Aethor
07-29-2009, 08:05 PM
To be honest I'm not very program savvy, and I'm using a trial version of Visio, so I'm not even sure if it has a portrait letter page. Not really sure what to do about the negative spaces though, seems like if I make the pieces of the map any bigger I quickly run out of room.

Happen to know which room it spits you out to? If so I can mark it on the maps.
near a waterfall

I actually did the Ravelin, Mistydeep and Sorcerer's Isle last night. It's just a first crude effort, so people need to look at it and critique it/correct any mistakes I might have made.

actually if you look at my pencil map you will see a walk/swim way into the sorcerers isle from the northeast gate of vaalor here a link to my map http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/sorcisle2.jpg
you can also find any other maps ive done and that others have done in that same folder http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/
i just posted up the Wehnimer's Landing Wizard Guild and will be doing other guilds as i get around to them.

droit
07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Still too small, at least for my browser.

The Ponzzz
07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
There is a file size limit to the forums when posting a picture via upload like that. I'm pretty sure that is why they are too small.

Aethor
07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
newest map cartography, Icemule Wizards guild link==> http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/IM-wizard.gif

TheLastShamurai
07-29-2009, 09:11 PM
actually if you look at my pencil map you will see a walk/swim way into the sorcerers isle from the northeast gate of vaalor

Ok, added two swim routes {one from the Gate, and another through the Curlew neighborhood}. Which I couldn't do in plate {not sure if this applies to all armor}.

Still too small, at least for my browser.

There is a file size limit to the forums when posting a picture via upload like that. I'm pretty sure that is why they are too small.

Ya totally. It's a much larger picture on my computer, just can't upload it as large here.

~

Also added "a mammoth arachnid."

BTW, does anyone know the levels on these creatures?

arlia
07-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Did someone make a map of the Hidden Plateau?

phantasm
07-30-2009, 02:54 AM
Wow, the new tsoran arrives

Loyrl
07-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Did someone make a map of the Hidden Plateau?

Yes

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=30478&page=4

Joseph
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM

I doubt it will every become a "standard part of lich" because most functionality like this which is preferential is left out of the base program and done with small scripts written by the user base. as far as this script goes.. I will look into it. I am already developing the lists needed for another script of mine, so it won't be difficult at all.

Celephais
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
newest map cartography, Icemule Wizards guild link==> http://cid-35bfda307789093b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/IM-wizard.gif
The light blue is a little difficult on a white background.

Deathravin
07-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I doubt it will every become a "standard part of lich" because most functionality like this which is preferential is left out of the base program and done with small scripts written by the user base. as far as this script goes.. I will look into it. I am already developing the lists needed for another script of mine, so it won't be difficult at all.

Script already exists (sorter.lic), but it's list isn't quite up to snuff yet.

Deathravin
07-30-2009, 11:59 PM
<STuff here that doesn't fit specific categories>
Gems: Gem1 (x15), Gem2 (X10), Gem3
Boxes: Some Strongbox, Some coffer
Magic: Blue Crystal (X10), White Crystal (X5)
Herbs:

etc.

so kinda like...

>l in my great
In the charcoal wool greatcloak you see a dark scroll, a weathered tanik chest, a sturdy silver chest, a sleek black crosier, a white opal, a white opal, a green garnet, a blue-white frost opal, a violet sapphire, a star ruby, a white opal, a blue-white frost opal, a large gold nugget, a golden topaz, a violet sapphire, a star ruby, an aquamarine gem, a platinum nugget, a platinum nugget, a piece of polished ivory, a star sapphire, a blood red garnet, a large gold nugget, a blue-white frost opal and a pink rhodochrosite stone.
>
21 Gems : white opal (3), green garnet (1), blue-white frost opal (3), violet sapphire (2), star ruby (2), large gold nugget (2), golden topaz (1), aquamarine gem (1), platinum nugget (2), piece of polished ivory (1), star sapphire (1), blood red garnet (1), pink rhodochrosite stone (1)
2 Boxes : weathered tanik chest (1), sturdy silver chest (1)
1 Scrolls : dark scroll (1)
1 Weapons : sleek black orase crosier (1)
that...? Got a wild hair to screw with stuff today... wrote this in about 20 minutes.

Personally I find it pretty annoying, but then again I do tend to sort everything based on item type in my pickup & selling scripts as it is...

[loot]>loot
Could not find a valid target to loot.
>
[pickup]>_drag #55393450 #55393443
You pick up a pink topaz.
You put a pink topaz in your supple leather knapsack.
[pickup]>_drag #55393446 #55393443
You pick up a piece of white jade.
You put a piece of white jade in your supple leather knapsack.
[pickup]>_drag #55393440 #55393421
You pick up a green garnet.
You put a green garnet in your charcoal wool greatcloak.
[pickup]>_drag #55393442 #55393421
You pick up a white opal.
You put a white opal in your charcoal wool greatcloak.
[pickup]>_drag #55393470 #55393466
You pick up a sturdy silver chest.
You put a sturdy silver chest in your black leather pack.
[pickup]>_drag #55393447 #55393443
You pick up a smoky topaz.
You put a smoky topaz in your supple leather knapsack.
[pickup]>_drag #55393467 #55393466
You pick up a weathered tanik chest.
You put a weathered tanik chest in your black leather pack.
[pickup]>_drag #55393473 #55393443
You pick up a dark scroll.
You put a dark scroll in your supple leather knapsack.

Sell Gems go into the Knapsack, Keep gems into the greatcloak, Boxes into the Pack (then Greatcloak), other items generally go into the knapsack and are put into the pack if they're not sold by the end of the sell script.

grenthor
07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
If anyone needs a pretty decent free mapping program, I've used autorealm and it's not bad. It's fairly basic but has some nice features that come in handy for text games like GS.

TheLastShamurai
07-31-2009, 10:13 PM
If anyone needs a pretty decent free mapping program, I've used autorealm and it's not bad. It's fairly basic but has some nice features that come in handy for text games like GS.

I'll check it out.

As of now I've already mapped Aradhul Road, Marsh Keep and The Ravelin/Sorc Isle using Visio. Until I get them up on GSGuide, if anyone wants a full size copy of them, just hit me up on AIM.

B2
08-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Speaking of maps, I've been slowly making guild maps for the Empath and Cleric guilds.

For example: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Image:TVClericGuild.jpg

I still have one Empath Guild to do, and four Cleric Guilds, and then I need to go refresh the Wizard maps as the ones currently on KP are pre-alchemy. Allereli's Sorcerer Guild map is on KP, too.

TheLastShamurai
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Until Mario hyperlinks the images to a central page, I'll provide the links to them here. If anyone sees any errors or something that needs to be added/changed, feel free to let me know via AIM.

http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Image:Aradhul_Road.gif

http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Image:Ravelin_%26_Sorc._Isle.gif

http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Image:Marsh_Keep.gif

Senglent
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Least I was helpful with the layout for Marsh Keep, Who ever wants to clean up my citidal map can let me know who and I'll send it to you. Although the one on the Google site Elanthian what-nots is not bad as far as accuracy.

Guessing Aethor and Miko will want it so I'll dig it out and send it as soon as you two hit me with some e-mails, that is if you need it.

And Like Paul said last time I talked to Tsoran he said he was playing WoW with his son and was out of GS with no idea if or when he would come back.

TheLastShamurai
08-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I was under the impression that Tsorans Citadel map was still correct as far as the rooms, just that the creatures in the Citadel proper had changed?

Nilandia
08-02-2009, 12:03 AM
The rooms themselves are correct, but there have been some additions to the area.

Gretchen

TheLastShamurai
08-02-2009, 12:15 AM
The rooms themselves are correct, but there have been some additions to the area.

Interesting. Do you know specifically which part of the Citadel the additions are?

The Ponzzz
08-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I personally like Mikoguchi's layout and scheme tons better. And rather have a one stop place for maps! If the project wasn't so huge, I'd love to have Mikoguchi-Only maps.

Nilandia
08-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Interesting. Do you know specifically which part of the Citadel the additions are?
I know the roof and the lowest level are the additions. Look for doors, trapdoors and stairways. I'm afraid I don't remember precisely how to get in.

Gretchen

TheLastShamurai
08-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I know the roof and the lowest level are the additions. Look for doors, trapdoors and stairways. I'm afraid I don't remember precisely how to get in.

Actually I meant like is it in the Citadel proper, Infirmary, Garrison, Hidden Vale, etc.

I assume by there being a roof and lower levels you probably mean with the new creatures in the proper?

Also, map page! http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Maps_of_Elanthia

Nilandia
08-02-2009, 12:59 AM
It's in the Citadel proper. There are ropes or footholds or whatever in the ravine that let you sidestep the bridge puzzle. You just need to search for them, I think.

Gretchen

TheLastShamurai
08-02-2009, 01:00 AM
It's in the Citadel proper. There are ropes or footholds or whatever in the ravine that let you sidestep the bridge puzzle. You just need to search for them, I think.

Gretchen

Oke doke, I'll check it out.

AMUSED1
08-02-2009, 01:13 AM
I suggest making the text for Adhul Road and Sorcerer's Isle as big as the text used in Marsh Keep. It'd also be good to put the text for the creatures that gen in each section near the section they gen in. Then you know what part of the area you have to go to to find whatever creatures you are looking for.

TheLastShamurai
08-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I suggest making the text for Adhul Road and Sorcerer's Isle as big as the text used in Marsh Keep. It'd also be good to put the text for the creatures that gen in each section near the section they gen in. Then you know what part of the area you have to go to to find whatever creatures you are looking for.

The text is the same size on the original, it just fits the space different on the main page. If you click on it until it becomes full resolution {have to click on it a couple times} it all becomes the same.

The Ponzzz
08-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I made it so that the map names at each thumbnail have a direct link to the actual gif in question so you can just right click and save target as. Or just click that for the full size and allow your browser to do the resizing, like how Tsoran's works.

AMUSED1
08-02-2009, 03:35 AM
The text is the same size on the original, it just fits the space different on the main page. If you click on it until it becomes full resolution {have to click on it a couple times} it all becomes the same.

It still looks like a different size to me for the first two even when I click them twice. I was already clicking them twice to where they show up as just the maps. Although, if I click it a third time and it actually zooms in then it does look the same. However, I personally hate looking at a zoomed in map. I like maps where I can read the actual "go <place>" when it is in its normal size without having to use a browser or image software to zoom in. I appologize if it sounds nitpicky, though.

Joseph
08-02-2009, 11:32 AM

And done peeky.lic is now on the ;repos

Senglent
08-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Gretchen

Climb ledge at the bridge to get in the Ravine, then you search and climb footholds to get to the doors, its faster and if you got about 20 ranks in climb your golden.

As far as the changes like Gretchen said they are all inside the Citadel there is a dungeon added if you go through a door in the southern end of the N-S cooridor and a stair case added to get to the roof (off of where the brown spinners used to be) wich is basically a 4 room square (4 rooms to each side) try playing with the epitaphs in the stones if you figure it out you see a pretty cool vision.

The Elanthian Geographers on google has a paintshop modified Tsoran map wich is accurate if you want something to go off of, as far as rooms and where and how the connect. or PM me and I'll shoot my copy to you.

I'm lazy and don't have any of the afformention programs so I did mine with just cheap-ol paint as you can tell from the Marsh Keep map.

Tsoran
08-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Hey everyone,

At this time I have no expectation of returning to GemStone. Things could change, of course, but it's been a year and a half now, and the interest just isn't there anymore.

That being said, it's my intention to release the maps' source Visio files to the public domain.

While that sounds as easy as simply putting the visio files on the website, there's a wrinkle: I was a GM for a while, and some of the maps have "invisible" information in them that shouldn't be made public. So, some of those files need to be cleaned up before being released.

Here's the bottom line: If anyone wants to work on new maps, and use my visio files as the basis, you are welcome to do so. The only thing I ask is that you take my name (as the author) and email address off of the maps, so that people don't write to me asking about the maps when I no longer maintaining them. If you want to give me credit, that's fine, but it is not required.

As I said, there's some visio files I can't release, but most of them I can. If you want one of the files, send me an email at tsoran@tsoran.com and if I can, I'll send you the visio file.

Also, I rarely read this board (or the official boards), so don't expect a response if you ask me a question here. Unless, of course, you have an incredible amount of patience.

Best Regards,
Mike

P.S. I'm not sure why it's relevant, but someone asked if I made money from the banner ads on my website. As far as I know, there are no ads on the website; I've removed them. If you found one I missed, please let me know about it!

waywardgs
08-24-2009, 04:23 AM
For what it's worth, thanks for all your hard work. It was an invaluable service and is appreciated still by all. Take care.

Lumi
08-24-2009, 05:04 AM
For what it's worth, thanks for all your hard work. It was an invaluable service and is appreciated still by all. Take care.

This!

StrayRogue
08-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Word. Can't think of a single player who impacted and helped the game in such a way.

Danical
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I honestly don't think I would have continued to play GS without the maps.

Thank You x 29384230948230948203948

Fallen
08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks a ton for your time and effort over the years, Tsoran.

Mr. Dallas
08-24-2009, 11:14 AM
I honestly don't think I would have continued to play GS without the maps.

I agree - thanks Mike!

D.

Morrff
08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes thank you long time. Your maps made my gaming experience muuuuuuuch better. I doubt I would have stuck around if it had not been for the maps. Who knows

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
We all know he only made the maps so he could get hounded in game as an excuse to lvl his rogue. Don't let him fool you.

radamanthys
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Tsoran emailed me all but 3 of the files. I'll host the .vsd's once I get a chance.

The zip of those is here:

Tsoran's maps source (http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~bkarker1/remaphosting.zip)

Tsoran
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
The zip of those is here:

Thanks for hosting them! Immediately after deciding and declaring last April that I was going to make the maps public domain, the disk drive on my main computer crashed. While I had backups of most stuff, and was able to recover most of the rest of the stuff, I still needed to recreated the development environment for the website, which I haven't done. So it's rather difficult for me to make modifications to Tsoran.com at the moment. I need to literally do everything by hand at this point.

AnticorRifling
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I need to literally do everything by hand at this point. Do you do jobs?

StrayRogue
08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Curious, can anyone get Tsoran's old trainer sheets to work (including the macros) in the lastest Excell??

The Ponzzz
08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Awesome stuff. Thanks for your service to GS, Tsoran. I'll see about getting things up on GSGuide.

radamanthys
08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Curious, can anyone get Tsoran's old trainer sheets to work (including the macros) in the lastest Excell??

Yea. You have to enable the macros manually- the prompt is like an IE prompt- a yellowish bar at the top of the screen someplace. Took me a while to notice it, too.

Tsoran
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM

I can :)

It's actually the same problem as with older versions of excel: macros are disabled by default.

You have to go in there and tell it to enable all macros. Here's the help snipit:

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Excel Options.
Click Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings, and then click Macro Settings.
Click the options that you want:

(at this point choose the option to enable ALL macros -- the option they strongly recommend against.)

Tsoran
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I hereby nominate Tsoran for Tsoran's replacement!

You may want to nominate someone who might actually make more maps. :P

Whirlin
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I can :)

It's actually the same problem as with older versions of excel: macros are disabled by default.

You have to go in there and tell it to enable all macros. Here's the help snipit:

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Excel Options.
Click Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings, and then click Macro Settings.
Click the options that you want:

(at this point choose the option to enable ALL macros -- the option they strongly recommend against.)

I can likely rip the macros out of the old version, convert the file to Excel 2007, and upload them somewhere for everyone as well, that way you can just use the standard "Use macros?" Prompt when opening the excel file rather than auto-allowing excel macros.

I did a proof of concept a while back where I made a malicious VBA script and imbedded it in a document, powerpoint, and excel file. Was a nasty little thing, easy to do too. So I wouldn't really recommend auto-accepting all macros.

Of course, I just need the time to convert the file, life has been less than free recently.

Tsoran, like everyone has said, thank you for the maps. They've helped out greatly whenever I've played Gemstone (understatement).

On the topic of creating a new universal map system to replace Tsoran's, is Billy's Windowslive SkyDrive considered to be the current universal map repository? Or are we going to be creating a new area for these maps with Mikoguchi being the version handler, etc?

And does psinet Atlas use any of the maps on the Skydrive, or just Tsoran's map pack?

phantasm
08-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for getting around to doing this Tsoran. Enjoy your stay in WoW.

TheLastShamurai
08-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Ok I downloaded the maps and will go about updating the ones that need it. There is probably a little something to update to all of them. Feel free to PM or IM me with any corrections you believe need to be made and I'll investigate them.

My schedule is pretty tight right now because I'm working and going to school full time, but I've got time Fri-Sun to play around with them, so I'll probably be able to pull off several maps a week.

When I finish with the maps I'll give them to Mario to host on GSGuide and hopefully before too long we'll have a complete map system in one locale.

The Ponzzz
08-27-2009, 01:52 AM
You rock, man!

Beguiler
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Joining the chorus of 'Thank Yous' Mike, I use your maps every day, and where would I be without your trainer! I'm going to get a teeny tiny voodoo Tsoran doll and do rituals at midnight to bring on sudden, implacable urges to play GS again....:thanx: :love:

AMUSED1
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Thank ya!

Whirlin
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Nice VBA Tsoran. If anyone wants a version of the trainer that just prompts to allow macros rather than defaulting your excel to accept macros, send me a PM with your Excel version.

Tsoran
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Question for those others who have been making maps, or who might do so in the future:

Would you prefer if I returned and started updating the maps again? Or would you prefer to make your own maps (now that you can use my old maps as a starting point for updating them?)

This is not a question for everyone else; duh, I know you'd rather have maps than not have maps. I'm curious as to whether people who have put effort into making updated or new maps would feel put out if I started updating some of the maps.

TheLastShamurai
08-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm curious as to whether people who have put effort into making updated or new maps would feel put out if I started updating some of the maps.

I don't have a problem with it {I mean, they are your maps/website}, but I don't think it's necessary if you don't really want to. Not only do I plan to do it anyways ;), but I've already mapped everything not on your maps, and the rest are just minor updates and tweaks I'm making for personal preferrence {like the grey background}.

After I take care of the standard maps I plan to start on stuff like temples, Houses, Guilds and misc. buildings.

AMUSED1
08-29-2009, 06:32 PM
MILQUETOAST on the officials has done a lot of the various guilds, specifically the empath ones. She usually puts them up on krakiipedia when she finishes one.

B2
08-29-2009, 08:12 PM
MILQUETOAST on the officials has done a lot of the various guilds, specifically the empath ones. She usually puts them up on krakiipedia when she finishes one.

I still have to post two of the guild maps...I can't seem to ever get a project completely finished. I've been using the paper version as a placemat for the last month rather than open up Illustrator and lay it out.

It was my lofty long-term goal to make and put maps of areas up on the all of the area krakiipedia pages, but realistically, I couldn't. My highest-level character is only 67; I can't get into a lot of areas and we'd run into the same problem we have right now, with some maps available here, some maps available there, some maps out of date, etc.

I would love Tsoran to start his maps up again just so every map will be in the same place. Every map will look the same since the same person made them. Looking at all the different styled maps drives me a little crazy.

I would be so happy if Tsoran was Tsoran's replacement.

Tsoran
08-30-2009, 02:38 AM
It was my lofty long-term goal to make and put maps of areas up on the all of the area krakiipedia pages, but realistically, I couldn't. My highest-level character is only 67;

My highest is only 77 or 78. I could never have mapped everything without help from friends.

Tsoran
08-30-2009, 02:41 AM
I just posted this on the official boards in the Solhaven folder, referring tonight's utter destruction of the town:

The other towns are gunna be SO jealous! I came out of retirement to make a new Solhaven map just for you guys.

I haven't had a chance to update the webpages yet, but the map is on the website and can be downloaded directly from this link. (I've migrated to a new computer and don't have everything in place to modify the html yet. The maps require fewer tools to work with than the website does.)

Here's the new map:

http://www.tsoran.com/maplib/vornavis/VO-solhaven2.gif

Enjoy!

elcidcannon
08-30-2009, 02:44 AM
you. are. the. best.

Misun
08-30-2009, 02:49 AM
Great map! TY!

Loyrl
08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
That's great! Hard to believe that you're playing again, only three names are stuck in my head from GS3 from outside of game are Tsoran, Zepath and Ransom. Maps, maps, and I always read the ranger guide (http://www.tamcon.com/GS3/ranger1.html) he wrote.

kookiegod
08-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I just posted this on the official boards in the Solhaven folder, referring tonight's utter destruction of the town:

The other towns are gunna be SO jealous! I came out of retirement to make a new Solhaven map just for you guys.

I haven't had a chance to update the webpages yet, but the map is on the website and can be downloaded directly from this link. (I've migrated to a new computer and don't have everything in place to modify the html yet. The maps require fewer tools to work with than the website does.)

Here's the new map:

Enjoy!

Brilliant Michael :)

~Paul

Anebriated
08-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Here's the new map:

Enjoy!

Pure awesome.