PDA

View Full Version : Yp, iPhone users!

The Ponzzz
07-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Ok, so my girlfriend has been dying for the iPhone and we are Verizon Wireless. So, I was going to surprise her and set up an account for her with it, but, AT&T won't give me a straight answer. How much are the basic of basic plans with the iPhone? If I'm a first time AT&T customer locking into a 2 year contract, does the iPhone get any discounts?

Thanks in advance!

Bobmuhthol
07-20-2009, 12:10 AM
I do not have an iPhone but from what I've heard AT&T requires you to get an unlimited data plan if you have one, and that alone is $30/mo.

Honestly, I would look into getting an unlocked phone (maybe even an unlocked iPhone, but lol, they're $700+) and switching to T-Mobile/AT&T/Cingular/whatever else uses GSM.

Bhuryn
07-20-2009, 12:18 AM
The iphone consumer plan is 30/month, enterprise is 47/month. The new 3gs 8gig phone is $199 for upgrades so I assume it's the same for new customers as well. The old 3g 8gig phone is 99.

The Ponzzz
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah, we both have smartphones as it is at 29.99 a pop for the unlimited data plans. I enjoy my samsung omnia, but she's pretty hell bent for the iphone.

Parkbandit
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I spend $200 a month for 2 iPhones.

The Ponzzz
07-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Do you know what minute plan you're on, PB? We pay $178(ish) for 2 smartphones with Verizon Wireless, but that is with some features.

Numbers
07-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Buy an iPhone off eBay, then jailbreak and unlock it to work with Verizon.

You'll need Verizon's equivalent data plan, obviously, and visual voicemail won't work at all, but you'll be good to go otherwise.

Some good info here: http://thebigboss.org/

Durgrimst
07-20-2009, 01:07 AM
My wife and I both have IPhones, and all the options on the plan, unlimited everything, and we pay $140 a month.

A little pricey, but it is unlimited everything. Hope that helps.

Hulkein
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I pay like $95 a month. I have the step below unlimited text messages and 450 Anytime minutes, 5,000 night/weekend minutes (pretty much unlimited) and obviously unlimited minutes with other AT&T customers.

Parkbandit
07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you know what minute plan you're on, PB? We pay $178(ish) for 2 smartphones with Verizon Wireless, but that is with some features.

I think we have unlimited data/text and about 1500 anytime minutes.

AnticorRifling
07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Jesus I pay 100 a month for 5 phones that share 1000 anytime minutes.

Kuyuk
07-20-2009, 11:07 AM
no shit.

I'm going to be downgrading my account within the month.

I hope to be paying < 60 for my phone/month.

shit, $200/month could be my retirement fund

Hulkein
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
The iPhone isn't just a "phone" though. It's pretty much like a really small laptop with internet access wherever you go.

Widgets
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
89.99 a month is the cheapest iphone plan. I have that one, with unlimited data and text, I forget though what the minutes are, but I never use the phone for calling people so I don't worry.

Also, the new 3g S isn't spectacular, just buy the older 3G and jailbreak it...I can do pretty much everything the new one can, and saved myself 100 bucks.

Apotheosis
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
sprint pcs and palm pre might be a better alternative.

The Ponzzz
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
We already have smartphones. I have a Samsung Omnia, she has a Blackberry Storm. She just wants the iPhone. However, for a single line, AT&T seems to be $20 more expensive that Verizon.

Numbers
07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
iPhones can work on Verizon. See my previous post.

Trouble
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Hardware is limiting, correct? Yes you can unlock, but if Verizon/etc doesn't carry the signal, then you're hosed. At least that's what I have Googled. That was the whole point of iPhones, ATT sucks ass and doesn't play with anyone other then Tmobile, who also sucks ass.

I'm thinking I'm getting a Pre.

SHAFT
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
The iPhone isn't just a "phone" though. It's pretty much like a really small laptop with internet access wherever you go.

Indeed. I love my iPhone. I'll never stray

Numbers
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Hardware is limiting, correct? Yes you can unlock, but if Verizon/etc doesn't carry the signal, then you're hosed. At least that's what I have Googled. That was the whole point of iPhones, ATT sucks ass and doesn't play with anyone other then Tmobile, who also sucks ass.

I'm thinking I'm getting a Pre.

Verizon doesn't know the difference. If you can get a Verizon signal on a Blackberry, you can get a Verizon signal on an unlocked iPhone.

To be honest, though, I switched from Verizon to ATT to get an iPhone, and I haven't had many problems with my signal in Boston, and Verizon is pretty dominant up here.

The Ponzzz
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM
After one more stop at AT&T, we decided to stick with the Blackberry Storm/Samsung Omnia and just pick up the iTouch for her similiar iPhone needs. AT&T just doesn't stack up with Verizon Wireless on a cost level.

Thanks everyone for the advice though!

Keller
07-21-2009, 11:10 AM

People who have their first kid are always saying shit like, "I just can't remember what I used to do in my free time before having Meatball."

I am constantly saying to myself, and others, "I just can't remember what I used to do in my free time before having my iPhone." Whether it is waiting for my oil change, sitting outside the dressing room while my wife tries things on, waiting on my Five Guys order to be ready, taking a shit, etc, I am constantly on my phone when I'm not doing something else.

AnticorRifling
07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
People who have their first kid are always saying shit like, "I just can't remember what I used to do in my free time before having Meatball."

I am constantly saying to myself, and others, "I just can't remember what I used to do in my free time before having my iPhone." Whether it is waiting for my oil change, sitting outside the dressing room while my wife tries things on, waiting on my Five Guys order to be ready, taking a shit, etc, I am constantly on my phone when I'm not doing something else. I still do weird shit like look around, talk to strangers, enjoy the world. It's crazy I know.

Hulkein
07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I still do weird shit like look around, talk to strangers, enjoy the world. It's crazy I know.

GET OUT OF HERE FREAK