PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Nystin
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a 33 Ranger, Voln Master I have been away from GS for about 4 years. I am interested in a build that will use my voln-fu to its fullest, any ideas? I have been looking at the old player sites, but all or most of the information is gone or outdated. I am also interested in some proper spell training I hear much about lore and have been reading up on it here in the forums and want to make sure I put together a nice fun build that will carry me into the later levels. I dont mind using a bow, never have, but I am open to anything that will optimize my solo hunting experiences.

Any help appreciated!

Beguiler
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
My ranger is level 45, also a Voln Master. Here's her training...

At level 45: Ranks
Armor Use 40
Ranged Weapons 92
Brawling 92
Combat Maneuvers 26
Physical Fitness 24
Dodging 41
Climbing 20
Swimming 10
Perception 92
First Aid 22
Survival 22
Arcane Symbols 15
Magic Item Use 11
Harness Power 48
Spirit Mana Control 24

Minor Spirit 14
Ranger 40

Goals: Dodge to 1x CM to 1x, armor to torso chain, FA/Surv to 1x, MnS to 120 then Ranger to 650 back to MnS to 130, getting 20 ranks of Summoning lore.

She's a lot of fun to play, have her working Bonespear right now with few issues (elder eidolons occasionally still lighly fear her). Shan are good, too, if you want to hunt living.

I made the choice to take her ranger spell training to 40 to get a companion, Nature's Fury and Wall of Thorns. I don't regret that decision, and I'm going to steamroll through to 120 next. After that, ranger to Assume Aspect, and back to minor spirit for Spirit Guide. She's a bit over 1x spells right now, so after I have 130 and 650, I can ease back to 1x spells if I want or load up on ranger for the oomph to Nature's Fury,which I personally think is teh bomb spell forEVAR.

Nystin
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the info, it seems to be the build I was looking into. Also is summoning lore needed, and if so how much is needed?

graysun
07-17-2009, 12:37 PM
This is my Voln-brawler's build. Very similar to the above, but with more skinning skills (not that I presently use them) and fewer secondary skills.

Most brawlers choose archery as their other attack style, as the skill set is pretty complimentary.

If I were to play him, I'd probably gun for another 15 ranks of CM to learn rank 5 disarm, and would pick up some MIU to use imbeddibles. Many archer/brawlers find CM to be unnecessary altogether, and skip out on ambush - at least until later on when the AS increase is less of a TP-sink.

Lores can be pretty expensive before the end-game, as it's tough to hunt extensively with spikethorn shy of having 200 or 300 mana, and the DS-type bonuses from blessing lore are pretty expensive for what they are.

Draysun (at level 46), your base skill bonuses and ranks are:

Armor Use......................| 140 40
Combat Maneuvers..........| 120 30
Ranged Weapons............| 196 96
Brawling........................| 196 96
Ambush.........................| 148 48
Physical Fitness..............| 148 48
Dodging.........................| 148 48
Harness Power................| 146 46
Survival.........................| 148 48
Perception.....................| 192 92
Climbing.........................| 120 30
Swimming.......................| 90 20
First Aid.........................| 148 48

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.....................| 8
Ranger...........................| 40

Training Points: 30 Phy 5 Mnt

Draysun, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Disarm Weapon disarm 4

droit
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
If you've been away for 4 years, you might also want to check out the new Guardians of Sunfist society. It's extremely well-suited to rangers. Check out the krakiipedia article here, http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_Sunfist, or just search for it on these forums.

Nystin
07-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I want to thank all of you for this wealth of info.