PDA

View Full Version : GM Estild on proposed link mechanics

Fallen
07-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Anmut
I read on the forums that this link would only take five seconds, to give the "linked-to" person time to refuse it. During that time, is the proposed idea that the empath cannot link to another person, or perform any healing?

You would only be able to link to one person at a time. While linking, you can still heal, but you cannot transfer wounds.

Anmut
And, assuming the link was accepted, how long would the proposed link last...someone with wounds all over might take a bit of time to heal...I am not the quickest empath.

It would probably last about 30 seconds, with each transfer resetting the duration. Basically, once you link, you shouldn't need to do it again to the same target.

Anmut
Final question...would an empath have to wait for the link to expire, as clerics do after they raise, before they may link with another person?

No, the Empath or patient can manually sever the link at anytime.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Drisco
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
This makes me happy I quit.

Fallen
07-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah. It sounds really rough.

StrayRogue
07-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I totally don't understand the point of this change. Utterly worthless use of time.

Allereli
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I totally don't understand the point of this change. Utterly worthless use of time.

We're told over and over again that GMs only work on projects they want to, that's why there's so much uneven development between the professions. This is what they choose to do.

Some Rogue
07-11-2009, 11:48 AM
More tedium, Less fun!

Androidpk
07-11-2009, 01:05 PM
It's like they purposely want to drive away customers with changes they make to the game.

Kitsun
07-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Can't you just set your demeanor to cold to stop vulturing? How is this worth the time and effort?

Lord Orbstar
07-11-2009, 01:52 PM
agreed. bad idea

Xaerve
07-11-2009, 02:52 PM
agreed, pointless

Inspire
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I really hope they don't fuck up empaths. :(

Bhuryn
07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
They already said something about groups not having to link. If that ends up happening everyone is just going to get around it by grouping for 0 rt. Seems like a total waste of time.

Methais
07-11-2009, 04:18 PM
They already said something about groups not having to link. If that ends up happening everyone is just going to get around it by grouping for 0 rt. Seems like a total waste of time.

So instead of nodding, they'll just grab them into their group.

Simu is such an innovative game developer.

Fallen
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not even sure what this is supposed to address. They are already implementing some semblance balance of healing through other means. I don't understand this one at all. People will likely bitch loud enough for it to be repealed anyway. Rightfully so, too. Balance through tedium is terrible game design.

Fallen
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Some crap from the Empath folder.

LADYJESSARILNot sure where the grouping mechanic is going (last I saw no link was needed for group members). I guess instead of bothering with the link I just hold someones hand instead of nod/smile/wave/<insert your "i'll heal you" signal>? Seems like a mighty waste of time to design a system that everyone will just end around. Unless of course, you plan on giving no experience to healing your group which seems like an even bigger mistake.

Grouping with another player will still mandate a wait period, similar to linking, before you can transfer wounds. And yes, we're aware of the impact on ambushers and already have a plan to ensure hunting Empaths can still instantly heal them in combat.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

----

RishiThere's already very few empaths on the east side of the Dragonspine that are willing to sit and heal. (hell, I'm not there most of the time, since I'm doing Alchemy) Making it more tedious to heal could just make it worse.

I don't understand this argument. Most Empaths are already using a system to informally link, usually NOD. We're replacing one command with another, so how is it adding tedium? Even if you're not using this system, it's one additional command per patient (~30 seconds, give or take, and assuming you have patients lined up). Guild skills can certainly be defined as tedious, but I don't agree with the label here.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

----

>>And doom small towns like River's Rest.

I don't see how it will doom anyone. Every Empath will retain the ability to TRANSFER and, with the appropriate Empath spells just like now, every Empath will be able to heal their own wounds. We're simply revising the system to ensure that more risk is involved in healing to make the experienced earned legitimate (similar to how hunters can die to monsters or locksmiths can die to traps) and add in more training elements to make Empaths able to choose to be even better healers.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Rogue Team
Cleric/Empath Team

Tea & Strumpets
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
So instead of nodding, they'll just grab them into their group.

Simu is such an innovative game developer.

At least they nerfed haste on the swim into the temple. That was completely game breaking. Now that you can't use haste, that minute-ish swim is far more engrossing, and it actually feels like I'm swimming into a secret temple like Indiana Jones (I hold my breath the whole time).

TheWitch
07-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Some crap from the Empath folder.

Also known as, some crap that reminds me why I quit playing.

Everyone must have been having too much fun playing the game.
And that was something up with which they will not put!

Those two are totally out of control and lacking any actual necessary development to do with clerics and empaths, are ruining shit.
Again.

Why doesn't Obscruo start paying some attention to rogues, who could use some love right about now? Get Estild on the paladin case.

TheLastShamurai
07-13-2009, 10:37 PM
There really is no need to assume the worst case scenario. Overall, all Empaths will be able to heal and hunt. You just get the extra benefit of specializing. Want to be a healer? Train more in Physical Fitness (more stamina allows you to transfer more wounds) and Mental Lore - Transformation lore (to transfer scars). Want to be a hunter? Train more in Spiritual Lore - Spirit Summoning and Mental Lore - Manipulation to increase your combat effectiveness. Even with 1x PF (which will be the expected training path) and no lores, you'll be able to heal and hunt without problem.

We're already reconsidering the linking requirement based upon player feedback, and we hope to continue this dialog with the other proposed changes. So, to direct the conversation, let's move past linking and tell us your thoughts on our proposal to make healing more dangerous.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Lulz.

This is not the linking you're looking for. Move along.

Androidpk
07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
I say make healing dangerous for the person being healed. Like if you have a head wound and the empath goes to heal it and fumbles...

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/head-crush.gif

TheLastShamurai
07-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I say make healing dangerous for the person being healed. Like if you have a head wound and the empath goes to heal it and fumbles...

That's pretty much what I proposed in the folder.

Like if you tried to transfer a rank 1 wound and messed up it could become a rank 2 {would still heal the victim though}.

Danical
07-14-2009, 02:20 AM
I thought this kind of "making healing more dangerous" was also supposed to give healers more exp her transference since it's adding more than what the baseline is now.

Am I retarded?

Fallen
07-14-2009, 07:59 AM
MG
Remember, when reading the phrase "separating hunting from healing empaths" some of us players immediately go worst case scenario. This might read "a healer will not be able to hunt, period, and a hunter will not be able to heal, period." to some of us.Then we have to pull our brains back from that to chew on how close that assumption is to what will be, or how much we might be overreacting. Most of us also want to throw in our two cents about things we know from actually being a hunting or healing empath. So we're discussing, freaking out, complaining, agreeing, etc.It's impossible to predict what the final answer will be, because the GMs haven't even figured it out yet. Sometimes I miss the "BAM! Deal with it!" sweeping change method. Even though that is a far worse way to make changes to a profession, at least we don't have to worry about it months in advance.

There really is no need to assume the worst case scenario. Overall, all Empaths will be able to heal and hunt. You just get the extra benefit of specializing. Want to be a healer? Train more in Physical Fitness (more stamina allows you to transfer more wounds) and Mental Lore - Transformation lore (to transfer scars). Want to be a hunter? Train more in Spiritual Lore - Spirit Summoning and Mental Lore - Manipulation to increase your combat effectiveness. Even with 1x PF (which will be the expected training path) and no lores, you'll be able to heal and hunt without problem.

We're already reconsidering the linking requirement based upon player feedback, and we hope to continue this dialog with the other proposed changes. So, to direct the conversation, let's move past linking and tell us your thoughts on our proposal to make healing more dangerous.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

lol.

Fallen
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Someone should suggest NPCs that require healing. NPCs come into town square, or wherever empaths typically gather, and require healing. Perhaps their wounds are more difficult for some reason (Insert stupid justification here). They could have non-standard wounds too, like serious crush injuries, or wounds that have become infected because they waited too long. Lots of possibilities here that DON'T impact the normal playerbase, yet enrich Empath healing. It would also be cool if during invasions, swarms of these hurt NPCs would come in ALSO asking for help. Empaths would probably be able to get more exp from the NPCs because they would need non-standard training in order to deal with their more severe wounds. Players would have to fight to get their attention. The link system could THEN be used to make sure no one steals your NPC, as the process of healing their wounds would likely take a while.

Then again, I would be quite happy with a more robust wound system that required a lot of non-standard treatments to fix injuries..or you just go to an empath. Either way, as long as one has a choice NOT to go to an empath, even if it is much easier to do so, I would be happy.

Renian
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Someone should suggest NPCs that require healing. NPCs come into town square, or wherever empaths typically gather, and require healing. Perhaps their wounds are more difficult for some reason (like their wounds have been tainted by a poison that interferes with transference)

Stupid reason inserted, sir. But that seems more like an AdG bounty thing that should be put in...like you have to go rescue a group of wounded adventurers in a place about your level.

Methais
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Someone should suggest NPCs that require healing. NPCs come into town square, or wherever empaths typically gather, and require healing. Perhaps their wounds are more difficult for some reason (like their wounds have been tainted by a poison that interferes with transference)

They'll just come back with something like, "NPCs aren't considered hero adventurers like player characters are, therefore they're too scared to leave town and venture out into the wild."

Bhuryn
07-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Estild just posted something about the link stuff being reviewed due to feedback. I told you nothing would go live without the blessing of empaths =P.

Danical
07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Well played emapths, well played. Seriously though, I get trying to make a more immersive healing system but if there isn't a benefit to putting more effort into it then it's not going to fly. Like when 1030 gets nerfed, I would hope bards get a little something in return for losing the potent CS spell in the game. Tit for tac and all that.

TheLastShamurai
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Well played emapths, well played. Seriously though, I get trying to make a more immersive healing system but if there isn't a benefit to putting more effort into it then it's not going to fly. Like when 1030 gets nerfed, I would hope bards get a little something in return for losing the potent CS spell in the game. Tit for tac and all that.

That's pretty much what I was saying in the Empath folder. There should be some benefit to linking, not just to throw in RT for shits and giggles.

And since they want to make it require stamina and be more "dangerous," I suggested that the link system be responsible for that in a sense. Like linking wouldn't be required to heal, but if you weren't linked the risk, RT and stamina involved would be slightly more, and if you are linked it would inversely involve less risk, RT and stamina. Obviously enough levels and lore should be able to negate most the risks of being unlinked. And the more risk involved with healing the more EXP should be gained in my opinion.

I also suggested the ability for groups of Empaths to be able to link to one patient; sharing the risk, wounds, EXP, etc.

TheLastShamurai
07-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Although in my opinion, since they seem to be itchy to code something, they should work on 1135 and 1140.

Bhuryn
07-14-2009, 05:34 PM
or 1613, 1614, 1630 and 1640 =D

Fallen
07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Maybe linking to a patient does nothing to make the effort more dangerous, but it makes healing things provide MORE exp, but over a prolonged period of time. That way, you string out each healing session's rewards, and allow for sit-and-heal empaths to keep a steady EXP gain without a flood of people needing help. I dunno.