PDA

View Full Version : Official: Mestys on Paladin DEV

Fallen
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey guys. I do apologize for a lack of presence around here lately, but I typically won't post without having something meaningful to say. As was mentioned, I do read these topics regularly, and I do save off the interesting ideas that you put together.

I generally share a lot of the concerns that the community feels exist with Paladins, and plan on doing what I can to address those concerns. Though my current focus is on the development of the Rift expansion, I will be shifting that focus to professional development after its arrival.

My attention will be primarily on 1613, 1614, and 1640, but I've picked up some other ideas that I'll be delving into as well.

In the mean time, continue posting your ideas and concerns -- I do appreciate them.

-M.

Fallen
07-09-2009, 09:59 AM
No, not playing again. Just poking around as a guest on the boards.

Donquix
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey guys. I do apologize for a lack of presence around here lately, but I typically won't post without having something meaningful to say. As was mentioned, I do read these topics regularly, and I do save off the interesting ideas that you put together.

I fucking hate when devs say this. I realize it's probably true, but it's just so dumb.

People get pissed when they go months with zero feedback about their game/class. Doesn't have to be much, but it just seems like you get a lot of mileage out of a little effort in doing so, in regards to keeping players happy (and thus paying)

Inspire
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I fucking hate when devs say this. I realize it's probably true, but it's just so dumb.

People get pissed when they go months with zero feedback about their game/class. Doesn't have to be much, but it just seems like you get a lot of mileage out of a little effort in doing so, in regards to keeping players happy (and thus paying)

The problem is that if he posts, it opens a dialogue. I know I don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do in a day... do you really want him taking what little time he probably has to reply to every tom, dick and harry? I don't!

Donquix
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
The problem is that if he posts, it opens a dialogue. I know I don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do in a day... do you really want him taking what little time he probably has to reply to every tom, dick and harry? I don't!

That's such a BS argument, i'm sorry (and the same one every dev i've ever seen with this attitude back it up with)

All you have to do is pop in every now and then, especially in suggestion threads. There's nothing forcing him to stay and have a dialogue.

It's about changing the culture of your community on the boards. If you make regular appearances just adding a comment here or there so people know you're around, but don't get involved in debates, that becomes the norm. That becomes what people expect.

Obviously in an ideal world the dev, or someone acting as a liaison to the devs, would be able to participate in every discussion. But it's not a perfect world, especially in simu land, and people will adjust. Some feedback, even if limited, is better than months of silence followed by a quarterly "we're for serial reading this stuff guyz!" when the frustration starts to boil over.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Where the fuck is Mestys?

Asha
01-22-2011, 06:55 AM
lol

Makkah
01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Mestys is the head man in all DEV now... who the fuck cares about paladins anymore?

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Paladins are boring. They were probably too boring to fix.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Paladins are real boring

waywardgs
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
What's broken?

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't call it broken but 1640 is a huge waste of TP.

Drew
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't call it broken but 1640 is a huge waste of TP.

So is 650. There are a lot of high level spells that kinda suck and they are, apparently, happy with that.

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Nobody really said they were 'broken.' Boring is entirely different.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Nobody really said they were 'broken.' Boring is entirely different.

How exactly are paladins boring?

They can swing with a ridiculously huge AS.
They can hunt self spelled.
They can cast.
They can raise.
They can wear plate armor.
They have awesome survival skills.

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
How exactly are paladins boring?

They can swing with a ridiculously huge AS.
They can hunt self spelled.
They can cast.
They can raise.
They can wear plate armor.
They have awesome survival skills.

I just find them shockingly one note. If you dig it, that's good for GS though, so heh, well, carry on.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I just find them shockingly one note. If you dig it, that's good for GS though, so heh, well, carry on.

I'm sure you can explain better than that. Sounds like you're just jumping on the "paladins are boring" bandwagon.

RSR
01-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Pre-cap, they are exceedingly limited in what they can train in. Much more limited in training paths, tertiary skills, etc than most like.

-Richard.

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm sure you can explain better than that. Sounds like you're just jumping on the "paladins are boring" bandwagon.

I expected real variations in the way they worked based on deity associated. This was likely unrealistic. I'm also not the hugest fan of CS as a route for offensive spells. I find that both rangers and bards have more unique effects that may not be necessarily more effective but feature a far greater wow factor.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Pre-cap, they are exceedingly limited in what they can train in. Much more limited in training paths, tertiary skills, etc than most like.

-Richard.

That might be the only valid reason for calling them boring. It's true that training can be very tight. I'm at 52 now and I'm starting to be able to train in a lot more things now that other skills are finally where I want them.

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
That might be the only valid reason for calling them boring. It's true that training can be very tight. I'm at 52 now and I'm starting to be able to train in a lot more things now that other skills are finally where I want them.

Another definite aspect of it. It feels like you can do more with the other two semis. Maybe it's what some of the other stuff reaches to for me.

Jace Solo
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Give paladin's Meditate. That is all

prance1520
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
I like the combat of paladins, it feels right. Using your diety to force them to kneel before you, and swinging to finish enforces the warrior feeling (along with the plate of course).

I wish we had more utility. We provide no real unique services, we're average rescuers at best, and we have a pretty sad ability raise. I've love to be the 'knight in shining armor' rescue class, but we're very outshined there. I'm sure others have great ideas about adding utility to the class. Best I do at the dais is give fluidity and puff on my pipe.

Makkah
01-22-2011, 03:04 PM
CRIP KILLAZ

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 03:07 PM
CRIP KILLAZ

http://mitglied.multimania.de/lildirtybastard/CripWalk.gif

Makkah
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
lol Dubb C

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 03:25 PM
1620 is pretty great for rescues.

prance1520
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Cast 1620 -> run to shrine to grab the body -> drag body to cleric seems clunky.

Also: http://www.pimpmywalk.com/

BigWorm
01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
1620 is pretty great for rescues.

130 is a far superior spell though

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Here's what I would like to see get done.

1603 - Change it to a flat duration instead of just working for one cast. Even if it was just 5 minute and not stackable, refreshable.

1609 - Not every paladin uses a shield so I feel this spell is kind of pointless. Make it so you can toggle it to work for either shield blocking or weapon parrying.

1613 - Seems rather mediocre, most paladins I talk to never even bother using it.

1620 - I've used this spell a shit load of times for rescues, for the most part I don't have a problem with it. I would like it even more if the spell transported you along with the body. I don't think that would be too game breaking, after all, you need a dead body in order to use it.

1625 - Overall this spell is pretty awesome. The infusing aspect though is incredibly weak and lame. I've never once used it. It's bad enough that its only one spell that goes off randomly, it's even worse that you need lores on top of it to be able to infuse any worthwhile spell. Without lores the only paladin based offensive spell you can infuse without lores is 1602.

1640 - Another waste of a spell slot. You can't chrism raise, you only get a fraction of the xp a cleric would get, limited to once a day without lores, and on top of that you need 20 (?) ranks in SMC. Paladin TPs are tight enough, there is no incentive to get this spell and SMC ranks before cap. Paladins are an incredibly combat focused class and this spell just seems completely out of place.

Warriorbird
01-22-2011, 03:53 PM
lol Dubb C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhRa0IUKXAI

prance1520
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
http://studiogangsta.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/8-year-old-4-finger-ring-gangsta.jpg

Gelston
01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
1603 - Change it to a flat duration instead of just working for one cast. Even if it was just 5 minute and not stackable, refreshable.

I agree with a 5 minute duration. I've never had much use for the spell though, as with my paladins, the only time I ever really cast spirituals was in a sanct to spell up, and there is no spell hind. there.

1609 - Not every paladin uses a shield so I feel this spell is kind of pointless. Make it so you can toggle it to work for either shield blocking or weapon parrying.

Good luck with that change ever going through. I think it SHOULD be changed, but look at Sonic shield for bards. (I think all the sonics should be combined into one slot, but that'll probably never happen)

1613 - Seems rather mediocre, most paladins I talk to never even bother using it.

It was a neat concept, but its pretty pointless. A % chance to be insta-raised(which would probably cause a second death if you don't gtfo) or perhaps having your body sent to the nearest temple would be better.

1620 - I've used this spell a shit load of times for rescues, for the most part I don't have a problem with it. I would like it even more if the spell transported you along with the body. I don't think that would be too game breaking, after all, you need a dead body in order to use it.

I've only ever used this for shits and giggles. I can usually get a real fogger to show up.

1625 - Overall this spell is pretty awesome. The infusing aspect though is incredibly weak and lame. I've never once used it. It's bad enough that its only one spell that goes off randomly, it's even worse that you need lores on top of it to be able to infuse any worthwhile spell. Without lores the only paladin based offensive spell you can infuse without lores is 1602.

Lore reliance makes the baby Jesus cry. I hate it, but I love this spell otherwise.

1640 - Another waste of a spell slot. You can't chrism raise, you only get a fraction of the xp a cleric would get, limited to once a day without lores, and on top of that you need 20 (?) ranks in SMC. Paladin TPs are tight enough, there is no incentive to get this spell and SMC ranks before cap. Paladins are an incredibly combat focused class and this spell just seems completely out of place.

I'd rather see this spell as something that turns you into an avatar for your chosen deity. Kinda like berserk I guess, but it casts and shit, using both mana and stamina. Or it could just make you a giant blue person.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I'd rather see this spell as something that turns you into an avatar for your chosen deity. Kinda like berserk I guess, but it casts and shit, using both mana and stamina.

This is actually exactly what I have in mind.

Latrinsorm
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
1620 - I've used this spell a shit load of times for rescues, for the most part I don't have a problem with it. I would like it even more if the spell transported you along with the body. I don't think that would be too game breaking, after all, you need a dead body in order to use it.It would be awesome if you came through the rift as though you were on a surf board. It would be fair to require CONVERT GALACTUS, though.

Androidpk
01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
It would be awesome if you came through the rift as though you were on a surf board. It would be fair to require CONVERT GALACTUS, though.

Except the surf board would be the corpse? That would be cool.