PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Sues the Federal Government About Marriage

ClydeR
07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
There is a lot of crazy stuff going on in the courts. That's why I am so concerned about Obama's nomination Judge Sotomayor to be on the Supreme Court. Just look at this case brought by the State of Massachusetts. They are trying to get the courts to overturn the part of the Defense of Marriage Act that says the federal government will recognize only those marriages between one man and one woman.

I don't even understand the portion of the argument (bolded in the quote below) that Massachusetts is making about not being allowed to treat its citizens equally. Just because homosexuals "married" in Massachusetts don't have their "marriages" recognized federally, that doesn't mean Massachusetts has to treat them differently.

President Obama pledged during the campaign to push for overturning the Defense of Marriage Act, but has focused on the economy, healthcare, other issues since taking office.

But more pressure could come from Massachusetts, which today became the first state to sue over the 1996 law, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman and which allows states to ignore gay marriages performed in other states.

That unfairly excludes more than 16,000 Massachusetts same-sex couples, who have married since the Bay State in 2004 became the first to legalize gay marriage, from "critically important rights and protections based on marital status," Attorney General Martha Coakley said.

The lawsuit (read it here (http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/DOMA%20Complaint%20FINAL.pdf)) asserts that DOMA is unconstitutional because it interferes with the commonwealth’s "sovereign authority to define and regulate the marital status of its residents" and also alleges that DOMA exceeds Congress’s authority because Congress does not have a valid reason for requiring Massachusetts to treat married same-sex couples differently from all other married couples.

More... (http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/07/mass_sues_over.html)

The suit does not challenge the portion of the Defense of Marriage Act that says one state is not required to recognize homosexual "marriages" performed in another state.

Methais
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
8==============D ~o ~o ~o ~o

radamanthys
07-08-2009, 05:18 PM
8==============D ~o ~o ~o ~o

seconded.

Geshron
07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
*insert cliche liberal comment here*
*PB saves the conservative day, calls me fag*
*clydeR makes another stupid hyper-conservative thread*
*life goes on*

Parkbandit
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
*insert cliche liberal comment here*
*PB saves the conservative day, calls me fag*
*clydeR makes another stupid hyper-conservative thread*
*life goes on*

Actually, I've always been pro-gay marriage. Nice try though, fag.

4a6c1
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
gay manp0rn where??

<<

>>

ElvenFury
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
gay manp0rn where??

It figures that Jihnas would be one of those weird girls who's turned on by dude on dude. Ewwww.

radamanthys
07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~bkarker1/MOONTHEPC.JPG

Whatever. Here's a picture of my ass.

diethx
07-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice butt.

Geshron
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually, I've always been pro-gay marriage. Nice try though, fag.

Was just drawing your reply. Yay.

4a6c1
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Radmans got a nice booty.

I think I'm a gay man on the inside.

Cephalopod
07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Those look like some very tightly clenched buttcheeks...

Allereli
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Rada's ass would look awesome in a thong

Rocktar
07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
On the humor side of things, this thread is an epic WIN.

Inspire
07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
LOL

Mikalmas
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Radmans got a nice booty.

I think I'm a gay man on the inside.

Not if you're a Republican, sorry :smilegrin:

MrTastyHead
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Tons of republicans are gay on the inside.

Almost as many as gay-on-the-inside christians.

4a6c1
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Not if you're a Republican, sorry :smilegrin:

WHAT. Well then I kick you out of the umm....booby club! You will never have them. Thats right!! I said it. Hmph...

Besides, you arent the boss of all gay men. I can be a gay man if I wanna.