PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Andraste enjoys way too much McDonald's

Rimalon
07-01-2009, 02:15 AM
>ask clerk to change name to McEnchantsalot confirm
The clerk says, "You'd like to take on the surname McEnchantsalot?"

The clerk accepts your note, does a quick bit of math, then gives you back a new note as change.

Shaking your hand, the clerk says, "Congratulations, Master McEnchantsalot!"

>info
Name: Rimalon McEnchantsalot Race: Dark Elf Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Constitution (CON): 100 (20) ... 100 (20)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Agility (AGI): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Discipline (DIS): 100 (15) ... 100 (15)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Intuition (INT): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Wisdom (WIS): 98 (29) ... 98 (29)
Influence (INF): 83 (11) ... 83 (11)
Mana: 402 Silver: 0

---

...ten seconds later...

SEND[Andraste] I've removed that last name. Not only is it a modernistic nod towards McDonald's, and thus breaking the environment, it's also a phrase which is against policy.

>report Andraste: might I be able to acquire a refund to select a more genre-appropriate surname?
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

SEND[Andraste] You can ASSIST to have it considered, however, as a player you should have been well aware of policy before chosing to do so.

>assist request Surname refund!
Your request has been sent to the GMs currently on duty.
You are number 1 in the queue.
You may cancel your request for assistance at any time by clicking ASSIST CANCEL.

diethx
07-01-2009, 02:46 AM
I wonder if she got hungry for french fries when she heard the news about Ed McMahon's passing. Who am I kidding, i'll bet she's always hungry for french fries. Even after eating french fries.

Lord Orbstar
07-01-2009, 07:03 AM
um, she was right dontcha think?

Bobmuhthol
07-01-2009, 08:03 AM
There is no justification to say that it is a "modernistic nod towards McDonald's." Andraste is the absolute monarch of being a fucking cunt with the name policy. Pretty much every complaint about GMs handling names involves her.

Is it a silly name? Obviously, but it's in better taste than most that are not changed at all, let alone immediately.

CrystalTears
07-01-2009, 08:14 AM
We know Andraste is a cuntbag, but c'mon Rimalon... you know better than that. You were just taunting for a reaction.

TheLastShamurai
07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't get what part is suppost to be a McDonalds reference, Enchantsalot or Mc? If it's Mc that's just plain silly. Not only do other PC's have names with a Mc preface, but Mc is hardly exclusive to McDonalds. And if it's Enchantsalot I just don't get what the deal is. It definitely wouldn't be the first PC to have a GS action in the name {ex: half the Empath pop with heal in their name}. Would be a little late to start doing something about that.

CrystalTears
07-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't get what part is suppost to be a McDonalds reference, Enchantsalot or Mc? If it's Mc that's just plain silly. Not only do other PC's have names with a Mc preface, but Mc is hardly exclusive to McDonalds. And if it's Enchantsalot I just don't get what the deal is. It definitely wouldn't be the first PC to have a GS action in the name {ex: half the Empath pop with heal in their name}. Would be a little late to start doing something about that.
Andraste is a moron thinking it had anything to do with McDonalds. However the Enchantsalot part is a phrasing that is against policy. You are right though that they seem to pick and choose who they accuse regarding name policies.

LOL BRIELUS
07-01-2009, 08:39 AM
ha. I had the last name for a character "McLolbrielus". Eventually they found me and made me change it. I changed it to "McTart", no problems.

LadyLaphrael
07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
You should've just told her this was the first time you've ever heard of McDonalds.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=34330

Drew
07-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Change it to McGruber.

crb
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
McDonalds is a fine scottish clan name. Why should they disallow that if they allow MacCloud McLeod Macleod McCloud, etc etc. RAAACISSST.

You should have explained to her that it is a common medieval, thus IG, cultural practice to take your father's first name, put Mc infront of it, and use it as your last name. So you were just saying your father was Enchantslot, friend to Healsall, and TruekillR, and Enchandri, and Badd, and Blades, and Medicunt, and former GM Stealth, and every other player who named themself after a noun or verb.

Fallen
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm no fan of Andraste, but that name was retarded. Are there other retarded names out there? Yeah. That doesn't mean you allow new ones to pop up. Exceptions to the rule do not invalidate the rule.

diethx
07-01-2009, 09:53 AM
No one said the name wasn't retarded. The fact that she said "Mc" is an obvious nod to McDonalds is more retarded than the name was.

Fallen
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
No one said the name wasn't retarded. The fact that she said "Mc" is an obvious nod to McDonalds is more retarded than the name was.

Some said the name should have been allowed, though. I will agree that McSomething does not a Mcdonalds reference make.

diethx
07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I think the name should have been allowed. Andraste and the rest of the name nazis are so goddamn inconsistent as far as bad names go, the only fair way is to just let shit like that go through. It's not like it was CunnyMcTwatdroplets. Yeah, it was retarded. But not offensive. And if they'll let all that other retarded shit stay, why not this one too? Might as well be consistent.

Androidpk
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Because if you let EVERY name go through, I can only imagine what shit I'd be seeing. Grabbing some of the bad names is better then none at all.

Inspire
07-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Damnit, now I want some french fries.

Danical
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
What I don't get is why Andraste didn't issue the refund immediately. I mean, really?

Bhuryn
07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
What I don't get is why Andraste didn't issue the refund immediately. I mean, really?

Rimalon posts on PC so he's evil and she doesn't help evil people.

Didn't you know all PC players hate RP, have bad names and love PvP?

ViridianAsp
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I think the name should have been allowed. Andraste and the rest of the name nazis are so goddamn inconsistent as far as bad names go, the only fair way is to just let shit like that go through. It's not like it was CunnyMcTwatdroplets. Yeah, it was retarded. But not offensive. And if they'll let all that other retarded shit stay, why not this one too? Might as well be consistent.

But, But! Inconsistency is the lifeblood of Gemstone!

CrystalTears
07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
But, But! Inconsistency is the lifeblood of Gemstone!
No kidding. If you ask them to be consistent, their heads may cave in.

Androidpk
07-01-2009, 03:10 PM
So let me get this straight. If a name has a take on something that is modern (McDonalds) it isn't allowed.. But if someone has a named based on modern literature (Harry Potter) it IS allowed?

radamanthys
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Rimalon posts on PC so he's evil and she doesn't help evil people.

Didn't you know all PC players hate RP, have bad names and love PvP?

We purposefully injure puppies, too. Puppies with cancer.

Asha
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Mmmmm .. puppies with cancer..

Stanley Burrell
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Should've gone with Beekayvalewmenyoo.

Rimalon
07-01-2009, 04:41 PM
The Surname System is a fucking joke.

So I can change my Surname every 2 minutes, if I wanted to spend the silver. Not to mention that it's completely OOC information when you LOOK at someone.

Yeah, McEnchantsalot is a nonsense name, but had Andraste not been sitting there chomping down french fries, it probably gets through. There are FAR MORE EGREGIOUS surnames out there.

Rim's surname was Fancypants for the last 3 months. It's just a matter of who's around and who decides to bring the hammer down.

If my surname selection wasn't red-flagged as all fuck, at this point, I'd probably try to get Enchantsalot through. And I could even justify it IC-ly!

AnticorRifling
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
You should have told her it was in reference to McAlister's Deli and she can fuck off with that McDonald's shit.

DaCapn
07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
He was obviously just having fun and clearly didn't care about losing the last name.

It's pretty clear that it's against naming policy, but obviously not for the reason she said it was (Mc-prefixed last names were around before McDonalds so it's easily a dumb reason). So, Andraste clearly just sees what she thinks as right and acts on it without thinking about it and deciding whether or not it is right. No new findings here.

>policy 6

GemStone IV Player Policy: Character Names

The following guidelines are in place to ensure a high level of consistency among the names of the adventurers within our community. Players consistently creating names that violate the guidelines may be formally warned or face suspension of playing privileges.

- Vulgarity of any sort will not be allowed.
- Racist or racist related terms are clearly unacceptable. (Klan, Towelhead)
- Names clearly in bad taste will not be allowed. (Lykmi Pihole or Monkeyspanker)
- Names of well-known historical or religious figures. (Hitler, God, St. Peter, Gandhi)
- Copyrighted or trademarked names. (Nintendo, Lucasfilm, Chevy)
- Famous Out-of-genre literary figures or well-known literary terms. (Buck Rogers, Chewy Bacca)
- Names taken from movies, cartoons or video games.
- Technology based names. (Laserbrain, Jetfighter, Mouseclicker)
- Names of current or past well-known personalities. (Madonna, Goldberg, Cronkite)
- Garbage names. (xxbdgscy , yyyzzz)
- Names with repetitive letters. Two may be allowed, three will not. (xxfredxx, Ghannndalf, Marrrisa)
- Phrases. (Ima toasteroven, Worldsgreatest Treeclimber)
- Names with titles in them. (Knight Blackness, Mistress Bombshell)
- Silly or out of genre names. (Frogeater Tongueodeath, Bumblebee Tunahead)
- Names created specifically to mock current players.
- Names too similar to names of Staff members or NPCs in game.
- Odd punctuation or capitalization. (Fragel DeLYon)

There may be names within the lands that do not adhere to the above guidelines. The fact that these names were created prior to this revision has no bearing on the creation of new names. We will not argue or debate names currently in the game, if we feel a newly created name violates our guidelines.

If you were sent to re-create your name, but feel your name is acceptable, and you wish to appeal, you must file the appeal in writing to feedback@simutronics.com. Your request will be submitted to the senior staff for review. Be prepared to wait 1 to 2 weeks for a review of your appeal.

If an existing name is found to be a blatant violation of our guidelines, the senior staff may either request or force a name change depending upon the severity of the guideline breech or disruption among the community.

Your next unread page is page #1.

Note by their use of "may" that they can let some names through if they want. Say if they don't want to chase off a new player, for example (there has to be some new ones at some point).

Morrff
07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
The problem I saw with the whole process, is the amount of time she wasted, hers and the GH/GM that will have to deal with the assist. Yeah and her reason for to remove Mc made me laugh a gulp of milk the wrong direction.

>report Andraste: might I be able to acquire a refund to select a more genre-appropriate surname?
REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. While no staff members are currently on duty, there are likely to be several lurking behind the scenes to investigate your report. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

SEND[Andraste] You can ASSIST to have it considered, however, as a player you should have been well aware of policy before chosing to do so.

>assist request Surname refund!
Your request has been sent to the GMs currently on duty.
You are number 1 in the queue.
You may cancel your request for assistance at any time by clicking ASSIST CANCEL.

OldLady
07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
...typical Andraste.

Proxy
07-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Forget McWhatever, change it to Buller

AnticorRifling
07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't her own name be ToS since it's a copy of deity and Jesus et. al. is a no no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andraste

Also if you google image Andraste there is apparently some interesting armor that is blocked by my firewall at work....I'm scared.

ElvenFury
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Your armor, Sir:

diethx
07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't her own name be ToS since it's a copy of deity and Jesus et. al. is a no no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andraste

Also if you google image Andraste there is apparently some interesting armor that is blocked by my firewall at work....I'm scared.

Yeah but since GMs are OOC to begin with, it doesn't matter.

And it's probably a pic of ma gorg getting head from junior.

AnticorRifling
07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
No idea can't see it here at work.

ElvenFury
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I attached it, so I wouldn't think that your firewall would block it.

Proxy
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
sad, I always thought Andraste was the Egyptian goddess of dyke lesbian prostitutes.

Bhuryn
07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
dyke? Dike means something entirely different.

AnticorRifling
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
dyke? Dike means something entirely different.
Well dyke lesbian would be redundant. He's talking about lesbians that retain water. Duh keep up.

Proxy
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
shush Texan!

Now picture Andraste wearing this

AnticorRifling
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Don't edit your shit Proxy I've got your back!

diethx
07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
shush Texan!

Now picture Andraste wearing this

Fucking die.

RichardCranium
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Should have changed it to Caramiasbelly to see her reaction.

CrystalTears
07-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Should have changed it to Caramiasbelly to see her reaction.:lol:

diethx
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Should have changed it to Caramiasbelly to see her reaction.

LOL

eeky
08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Should get my old charcter, Lips Mcgullycuddy back or somthing like that. Been so long..

RelentlessJew
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I think Rimalon's attempt at the last name is retarded, and he should be banned from Gemstone 4EVAR!

http://www.houseofzot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/banhammer2ug.jpg