PDA

View Full Version : Huh

Betheny
07-21-2003, 02:01 AM
So everyone does kind of agree that plat sort of sucks?

Bobmuhthol
07-21-2003, 02:07 AM
Yes and no. Plat isn't amazing, Plat doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the face. The Platinum subscription is semi-impressive if you're talking about material value. What is it, 25 Platinum characters and 11 Prime characters? Plus Premium subscription for Prime.

Betheny
07-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Doesn't sound too bad, I guess.

I hear horror stories about plat, though, like if you 'piss off' one of the 'elite', there really are so few people in there that their threat that you'll never get help again can actually be carried out.

Bobmuhthol
07-21-2003, 02:21 AM
Of course. You also won't be helped a lot of the time. That's why they put in town portals; so people didn't have to decay *every* time. I think the thought net is global, too.

Zanagodly
07-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Ya the thought net is global. Decaying is extremely rare, with invasions I guess being the time where that might most often occur. Plat definetly doesn't suck for some, but probably would suck for others. As far as pissing off the elite folk, it would take something pretty drastic and severe for the community as a whole to black list you. Sure some people won't like you, but others will.

Kurili
07-21-2003, 09:59 PM
I can agree with Zanagodly completely. The days when NO one would touch someone who was 'blacklisted' are pretty much over.

Plat's a good place.

Fabled
09-16-2003, 02:50 AM
Plat definetely has its ups and downs. There is an "elite" group however, and if you arnt part of it, then dont expect to be included in any story lines or be made aware of merchants that happen to pop in and work on those same "elite" people. Bitter? Nah, okay just a little.

Kurili
09-16-2003, 03:14 AM
Yes, that is a concern as well. Not so much missing merchants for me, anyway. But many things just ...had changed so much, I left Plat a couple of months ago. And I find as much RP in Prime as in Plat anymore. More so, really. Just have to wade through the Wolfpaws and such.

Acolyte Kurili

Fabled
09-16-2003, 03:18 AM
How about Smutfairy's ;)

Kurili
09-16-2003, 03:22 AM
They're all yours! Sic Pain on the whole bunch of em. I bet Jay is fuming over the fairy invasion.

Acolyte Kurili, missing Jay's posts on the Plat boards

Fabled
09-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Bah Pain is all talk lately. She needs to come out from under her rock and put some action behind those dormant threats.

Kurili
09-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Pain's charm IS in her creative threats

Acolyte Kurili

AnticorRifling
09-16-2003, 11:39 PM
I'd actually like to play plat but the simple fact is I don't want to give up Anticor as he is now. It took me three years to get to lvl 56 and that's alot of invested time. Granted I spent most of that three years sitting around making my hunting stories sound better with each telling but that was part of the charm. I don't look forward to going back to rats with Anticor. If I could transfer the character I'd be there in a heartbeat but if that was the case I'm sure so would alot of the mindless masses.

Fabled
09-17-2003, 12:53 AM
Oh yes it was definitely hard adjusting from hunting in OTF to hunting in the catacombs again. However, I found it a lot more challenging for a whole slew of reasons. Nothing like having a hunting area all to yourself... :)

Fabled
09-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Yes Kurili, you are right about Pain. (But I'd still like to see more action darnit!)

Dighn Darkbeam
09-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Right on the nose, Anticore. I would love to take level 53 Dighn to plat. I would not love to take a level 0 Digghn to plat. heh (can you use Premium names in plat?)

AnticorRifling
09-17-2003, 09:32 AM
I'm used to hunting solo and I don't think I ever had a hard time hunting. Heck the only time I die is when I'm trying something stupid or if I'm trying to hunt way over my head for a challenge. Heck I can hunt trali like a scared sorcerer(guarded stance don't touch me!) without a problem but I like a challenge so last time I tried scroll hunting them :cool: *Anticor just bit the dust! One at a time I could scroll them two or more and the no shield think bit me in the ass heh.

Zanagodly
09-17-2003, 09:44 AM
You can use your premium name in plat. Depending on how old the account is, the name might be already listed in your character list when you open a plat account with the letters (NC) next to it. Not sure what the NC means though.

CrystalTears
09-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Not Created perhaps.

Kurili
09-17-2003, 03:10 PM
It used to be that you were strongly advised not to use your Prime name in Plat. However, that seems to have changed. I saw a lot of Prime names in Plat, including Boomsplat and Delyorik among others.

Acolyte Kurili

Faellyn
09-17-2003, 09:40 PM
I liked it a lot and when my budget expands again I will get it back asap. I hung around mostly in Icemule, don't care about the storylines and merchants so much as just having fun. I liked hunting solo, and having some time to myself, and the portal system meant I didn't have to be alone all of the time.

Fabled
09-18-2003, 12:29 AM
The portals are the greatest, except when you walk through with an expired ticket...Doh!

Kurili
09-18-2003, 12:53 AM
I have probably lost over two mil to those portals, and a rift gem that my char was given as a gift. From a locked container. She was devastated.

Acolyte Kurili

Weedmage Princess
09-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Well...if the shit I read on the boards here is any indication of what Prime is like...heh...I'd never leave Plat.

I'm certainly not part of any elite group, I'm not "in" on all the storylines, or anything of the like...but I have 10x the amount of fun in Plat that I would have in Prime, I think. ....Prime....*shudder* ..but..to each there own.

Fabled
09-30-2003, 10:52 AM
I've been in Prime a lot more often these days. Even though the snert ratio is much higher, there is much better RP there.

Also, its very depressing when you get older and die because no one can fetch your corpse. I decayed the other morning and it got my blood boiling. Thankfully I was able to recover my weapons and most of my gear.

Heck I remember barely being titled and going to the Inner Ward of Varunar to help with a deader. It didn't phase me that I would probably die and drop my weapons. In my opinion, Plat has definitely lost its "close-knit environment". Especially when it comes down to not helping with a rescue because of fear of losing your "uber" weapons.

Betheny
09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
So why wouldn't you just grab a regular broadsword and a regular shield or something? That's what people do in OTF or places they very well could lose their fancy weapons and whatknot.

Fabled
09-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Good question. That's what I've done if I was worried about losing my weapons.

I guess they were worried about decaying and losing everything on their person.

Weedmage Princess
09-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Just titled and going to the inner ward of Varunar???

It's nice you want to help with a rescue but...come on. Some places you just don't belong in.

[Edited on 9-30-2003 by Weedmage Princess]

Fabled
09-30-2003, 01:10 PM
I'd rather die valiantly in attempt to rescue someone than letting them decay. But those feelings are quickly changing.

Weedmage Princess
09-30-2003, 02:51 PM
I just don't get that.

I can understand that sentiment if it's something that might be risky but there's a decent chance that you could pull it off. But running out to a place that's way over your head and the chances of you surviving are slim and none...I don't know, there's a name for that, but I wouldn't say it's being valiant.

[Edited on 9-30-2003 by Weedmage Princess]

Weedmage Princess
09-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Agreed, Daina. I applaud his wanting to help...but like I said..someone level 20 going to the Inner Ward of Varunar...that's just asking to die.

Fabled
09-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Well regardless, I successfully retrieved the body, the gear and survived. If I'm stupid or whatever word you would like to call me for trying to rescue someone in an area older than me, than so be it.

draconis nematoda
09-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Fabled
I've been in Prime a lot more often these days. Even though the snert ratio is much higher, there is much better RP there.

Also, its very depressing when you get older and die because no one can fetch your corpse. I decayed the other morning and it got my blood boiling. Thankfully I was able to recover my weapons and most of my gear.

Heck I remember barely being titled and going to the Inner Ward of Varunar to help with a deader. It didn't phase me that I would probably die and drop my weapons. In my opinion, Plat has definitely lost its "close-knit environment". Especially when it comes down to not helping with a rescue because of fear of losing your "uber" weapons.

Try playing a priest who has been trying to master forging for the past 2 years.
:D

The biggest reason people decay in Plat is because they never let anyone know where they are hunting.

Ray

Weedmage Princess
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by draconis nematoda
The biggest reason people decay in Plat is because they never let anyone know where they are hunting.

Ray

Very true.

Having said that, I've been guilty a time or two of not announcing where I'm hunting, either. I've also paid the price for it...

Luckily, however...I haven't lost anything of significant value when I decayed.

Fabled
10-01-2003, 10:05 AM
It happens to those that do announce too. It's just a risk you take when hunting in Plat due to the smaller community.

Weedmage Princess
10-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Very true. I've decayed when I announced as well.

peam
10-02-2003, 02:32 AM
I've strong feelings that Platinum is one of Simutronics' biggest mistakes. I'm sure the relatively high price and the fact that the game to little to no resources to develop makes it a cash maker for Simutronics, but I think that giving Platinum a whole staff is a misappropriation of resources.

If Platinum's staff was used in an effort to create roleplaying environments, events, and enforce a roleplaying policy, Gemstone Prime wouldn't be in the state it's in.

I do understand the notion that Platinum provides a place for people to relive the "glory days", but I think it's ridiculous to cater to this crowd, while the problems they're complaining about have potential to be corrected.

I welcome the discontent that has been recently growing within the Platinum community. With luck, the playerbase will grow to a number small enough that justifies Simutronics pulling the plug. Good riddance to the minority that eats up so many resources which could be used to appease a far greater number of players.

Weedmage Princess
10-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Interesting point, Peam. I'll tell you why [I feel] that will never be the case, though.

True, if Plat was gone, more time and energy could be put into Prime, Prime could be "Plat."..and there'd be no need for a separate game...however...many people in Prime it seems, don't care for that sort of game, that sort of atmosphere. They LIKE the way it is now. They don't "want" to be forced to stay IC, and do things of that sort. They want to continue on as they are. It's the same deal as the [lack of enforcement with] HMC accounts. It all comes down to money. If they were to start policing things in Prime as they do in Plat...you'd see lots of accounts get suspended/cancelled.