PDA

View Full Version : Import Anime Addictions.

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 01:33 AM
A thread for discussing imported/subbed anime! Discuss your anime addictions here!

Naruto?

Gundam 00?

I've been watching both of these now for a while, as they are released from japan, subtitled. Gundam 00 is finished now, and Naruto is still kicking. I've enjoyed both.

Is anyone else watching these?

What about the new Dragon Ball Kai, which is a streamlined re-release and digitially remastered Dragon Ball Z?

The show is supposed to follow a more manga-like storyline and make things move faster, without so many filler episodes. So far so good. Hell, Raditz died in episode 3. Nappa dies in episode 13. I forget when that happened in the DBZ episode lineup, but I know it took a LOT longer.

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Haven't followed Anime in over 10 years. I loved the old movies. Venus Wars, 3 x 3 Eyes, RotLW (OVA), etc. The last thing I watched as far as series goes is .hack//sign and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I only do dubbed though.

radamanthys
06-26-2009, 01:58 AM
heh

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Venus Wars, 3 x 3 Eyes, RotLW (OVA), etc. The last thing I watched as far as series goes is .hack//sign and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I only do dubbed though.

Thats some old stuff there.

I prefer manga these days. Last series that really hooked me was probably either Bebop or Trigun.

TheLastShamurai
06-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Thats some old stuff there.

I prefer manga these days. Last series that really hooked me was probably either Bebop or Trigun.

Both solid shows, especially towards the end of Trigun when it became less comical and more serious.

I'm a big fan of the Naruto mangas. I watch the show just to get a better visualization of the things I've read/saw in the manga, but the show has a lot of filler and kinda ruins the Naruto character himself.

I also like Bleach. Who doesn't like a good bankai!?

Fallen
06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
The only anime I follow these days I watch on Adult Swim. I watch Bleach every week. Great show. If they dont bring Naruto back I may start buying that Shapputin as an import.

AnticorRifling
06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
La Blue Girl.

ElvenFury
06-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, real fans read the mangas (http://www.onemanga.com/). You have to wait over a year to see the story get turned into anime.

Stanley Burrell
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Unedited DBZ, even though shit got pretty weird.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Man, I am glad i'm not a real fan. Comics/mangas blow.

ElvenFury
06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Man, I am glad i'm not a real fan. Comics/mangas blow.

NO U BLOW!

Renian
06-26-2009, 09:19 AM
My avatar is from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When Cicadas Cry). That anime is fucking awesome. To give you an idea...

Imagine a bunch of high school students who are close friends.
Now imagine them going batshit insane and killing each other. Multiple times.
Also, tits.

It then tasks the viewer with essentially being Sherlock Holmes through the series, trying to figure out what the fuck is going on in this town. Season 2 is basically the answer key of awesomesauce.

Also ridiculously awesome:
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Death Note
Full Metal Panic!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Oh My Goddess!
Hellsing Ultimate

Bleach is good but not 'ridiculously awesome'. Exception: The fight between Ichigo and Byukaya, when Ichigo's hollow takes over.

Also, I'm going to commit taboo: Cowboy Bebop blows ass. The idea is great, the characters are good, but there's no solidly overlying arc. Arcs = win, no arcs = fail. All the animes I have listed above have arcs.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Also, I'm going to commit taboo: Cowboy Bebop blows ass. The idea is great, the characters are good, but there's no solidly overlying arc. Arcs = win, no arcs = fail.

Oh..wow. I thought I was coming off as a douche by saying how much I hate reading books with 2 lines of text on them backwards. You, sir, have me beat hands down. Go fuck yourself with a freshly used plunger. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo is some of the best anime available.

Now, as long as we're competing for neg rep, I think it is pretty stupid how elitists claim that subtitles are so vastly superior to dubbed anime. In all cases. Ever. Just not true.

Back in the 80's/early 90's, when anime was a low budget affair, and they got the janitor of the building to read half the lines in the script for the stuff, sure. Now? Stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, Bleach are just fine dubbed. No reason to sit there squinting at subtitles as you listen to some hoarse sounding guy spout off in a language you don't know. Not even if it makes you a REAL fan for doing it.

Having said that, I will say that the ONE scene I liked better subtitled than dubbed is the first Kenpachi/Ichigo fight. However, I think the awesomeness of that fight transcends language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP14oES6gsA

Renian
06-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Cowboy Bebop
No

Samurai Champloo
Yes

Actually I haven't seen enough of Samurai Champloo but it seemed like there was an arc. Though I saw like the first 8 episodes years ago, so I can't quite remember. If it doesn't, it seriously manages to make up for it with breakdancing katana combat, and having more than enough of it.

Now, as long as we're competing for neg rep, I think it is pretty stupid how elitists claim that subtitles are so vastly superior to dubbed anime. In all cases. Ever. Just not true.

It honestly depends on the voice actors. It's ALMOST ALWAYS true, not ALWAYS. The main reason being is that a lot of the time, the conversations sound...weird. Basically, because they have to say the same amount with more words in come cases, someone stops talking and another person starts way too soon; you don't believe the other person fully registered what the first person was saying yet.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 09:38 AM
I agree there is no arc in Bebop. Compared to the progression of save Trigun, Nadesico etc, it vertiably plod along. It still doesn't make it a bad show. It's fun. It can be deep, emotional, dramatic etc.

And I agree, I prefer dub to sub. Just makes the experience easier. Sometimes it can even be much superior, depending on how much liberty the translator/writer takes.

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Most of the anime I watch on the internet. I used to do some watching on Adult Swim, back when I had a TV. Their shows kept getting worse and worse in quality though, or still so badly edited that I couldn't take it anymore. That, and the horrible nonsense they call home-brewed anime (except for Sealab 2020 - that shit was awesome -- BIZZARO!)

I saw a single episode of dubbed Naruto and though 'man am I glad I saw this subbed first, this voice acting is terrible - especially Naruto. He sounds like Bobby from King of the Hill.'

A lot of other great anime has been listed here.

Someone mentioned Trigun, which was awesome. Then that got me to remember Last Exile, which is pretty cool if nobody has seen it.

As for the Cowboy Bebop having no arc... it has an arc, but it's very loose. It's Spike's past, and really the past of all the characters, and the eventual resolution of that past with Vicious.

If you want that type of pulp space cowboy action with an arc - I suggest Outlaw Star.

Neon Genesis Evangelion = win. Except for the whole christian overtones thing. I could've done without that part. "I need to learn to pilot the Eva so I can be a better Christian!" Otherwise, stellar drama and action, great story. They're doing a 'rebuild' of it as four or five OAV movies that are each getting theatrical release in Japan.

La Blue Girl - ... heh. Hentai Alert! Mmmm tentacle sex. Who doesn't get turned on by slimy, wriggly, writhing tentacles?

EDIT: I should mention that I have and still do watch anime dubbed. I don't watch subbed anime now because I'm some sort of purist. I do it either because it's the only form it's available in, and I happen to like it. Or I've heard both translations, and I prefer to hear the original/new voice actors, because they're easier on the ears.

Take DBZ for instance. THAT SHIT IS TERRIBLE SUBBED! I'm watching it subbed right now though, because Funimation isn't going to take on Dragon Ball Kai, and even if they were, they wouldn't be doing it for another year+. I want to watch that shit NOW.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
The original Urotsukidoji was pure win as well.

Renian
06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I agree there is no arc in Bebop. Compared to the progression of save Trigun, Nadesico etc, it vertiably plod along. It still doesn't make it a bad show.

Show? No. Anime? Yes, because every other anime has arcs. Though I think it depends on when you start watching it. I started going through it after watching all of these animes with arcs, and wanted more. Probably a bad more.

I will admit though, the scene where they give the dog some shrooms...epic.

As for the Cowboy Bebop having no arc... it has an arc, but it's very loose.

Anime arcs are like vaginas--no one wants a loose one.

If you want that type of pulp space cowboy action with an arc - I suggest Outlaw Star.

Seen it. Yeah, it was good.

Someone mentioned Trigun, which was awesome. Then that got me to remember Last Exile, which is pretty cool if nobody has seen it.

I'll watch Trigun when the make a second series of it that follows the manga 100% like what they are doing with Fullmetal Alchemist now. What I've seen of Trigun has indeed whet my appetite for it.

And I can't believe I forgot about Last Exile.

Neon Genesis Evangelion = win.

It was pretty good. The theme along with its video was make of win and pwn though.

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I liked Full Metal Panic! but season one was way better. They changed the voices for season two and at that point, I can't watch it anymore. One of the downfalls for dubbed anime, IMO. I liked Blue Gender too.

But really, for me, I like the grainy look of Anime back with shit like Heroic Legend of Arslan. The newer Anime (like most of you are mentioning here) just looks too much like a cartoon. All computerized and shit.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Um, Cyber City Oedo didn't have an arc.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
But really, for me, I like the grainy look of Anime back with shit like Heroic Legend of Arslan. The newer Anime (like most of you are mentioning here) just looks too much like a cartoon. All computerized and shit.

Yep, this is the stuff I did my first thesis on at Uni. I think Ghost in the Shell was the end of that Generation, barring a few titles like X etc. Blood, Vampire Hunter D 2 etc really began to spruce up the quality, though old beauties like Wings of Honeamise etc are still breathtaking.

I still own all the old Manga Entertainment releases from back then.

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Wings! Yes! I have all my old Orion VHS and Manga titles. I can never get ahold of X. I just need to order a copy. I actually followed the manga of it when they printed a bit of it in each Animerica magazine when I was in junior high.

Renian
06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I liked Full Metal Panic! but season one was way better. They changed the voices for season two and at that point, I can't watch it anymore. One of the downfalls for dubbed anime, IMO.

This. The Japanese always seem to make sure NOT to fuck with who the voice actors are. The Second Raid has all the same voice actors in Japan, just like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has the same voice actors from the original series.

...Well, except Mustang. I think they changed his.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Lets see, got all the old Guyver, the original and remakes of Dominion (the originals again not having an arc), Appleseed, Bubblegum Crash/Crisis, Golgo 13, Macross, Ninja Scroll, Perfect Blue, Crying Freeman, Odin, Fist of the Northstar (awesomely epic), Moster City, Demon City...

Stunseed
06-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I own both versions of Record of Lodoss War. I borrowed the set of Outlaw Star at one point, but lately just don't have time/money/inclination.

ElvenFury
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Also, I'm going to commit taboo: Cowboy Bebop blows ass. The idea is great, the characters are good, but there's no solidly overlying arc. Arcs = win, no arcs = fail. All the animes I have listed above have arcs.

Here, take this pokeball and shove it up your ass. Then I can summon my charizar and watch your bebob-hating corpse erupt into flaming bits. How's that for an arc?

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Those are some great titles, SR. Macross is another favorite of mine. Golgo 13 was good, but I was too young at the time to really enjoy that (and Crying Freeman).

I have Cyborg 009, Barefoot Gen, Fist of the Northstar, Vampire Hunter D, Dirty Pair (3 titles), Winderia (loved this title), Doomed Megalopolis, Wicked City, 8 man after, Lily C.A.T., MD Geist, Slayers season one and two, most of what SR mentioned and the titles I mentioned in this thread.

I recently picked up Basilisk, as it was recommended. I haven't fully watched it. And if anyone can find me some streaming dubbed versions of The Twelve Kingdoms, me love you long time.

EDIT: I only liked RotLW OVAs. The TV series bothered me.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Here, take this pokeball and shove it up your ass. Then I can summon my charizar and watch your bebob-hating corpse erupt into flaming bits. How's that for an arc?

I'm going to positive rep you simply for creativity.

...When I can again.

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
So much good old anime. What about Ranma 1/2? That shit was epic lolz, and then some cool fighting action too. Unfortunately, the dub of Ranma 1/2 fell victim to the same problem as someone else addressed - they changed male-type Ranma's voice. After that, it just wasn't the same.

That sort of thing doesn't happen as often in the japanese versions, as someone pointed out, because it's an HONOR to be a seiyuu (sp?). It's not just a paycheck.

I will say there is a definite distinction that happened around that GIS movie.

Anime started to undergo a modernization. I don't think it was a bad thing, it was just a thing. Industry changes as it becomes more popular/gets bigger budgets.

There are times when they go too far though. Take the Transformers for instance. Gen1 was the old gritty anime style. Then, Beastwards was entirely CG. Beast Machines was some sort of hybrid cell-shaded/CG monstrosity. Then they went full circle and went back to anime, but it was really cartoony with Armada and all the rest beyond.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I own both versions of Record of Lodoss War. I borrowed the set of Outlaw Star at one point, but lately just don't have time/money/inclination.

The game of Lodoss war (on the Sega) was friggin brilliant.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Fist of the North Star was one of the first samples of anime I ever experienced. Awesome flick. M.D. Geist was another. Guyver i've seen a lot of. One of my friends had it on video back in the day. It was trippy when I caught a snippet of the Live Action version when I was flipping through channels 8 years later.

Anyone ever watch Iria: Zeiram the Animation (or something like that) That is to this date one of my favorite anime movies. Sci-Fi channel used to put on a show called Saturday Anime WAAY back in the day. That is how I used to watch it when I was still in middle school. Stay up all night on friday and watch Saturday Anime at like 9AM.

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Also, for old gritty anime, a sleeper... JoJo's Bizzare Adventure.

Tolwynn
06-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I've had or still have most of the old school stuff mentioned - it's pretty nice that everything's readily available now, instead of having to trade 4th generation fansubs like back in the day.

Urusei Yatsura was fun fluff, Area 88 was good just for the whole mercenary combat pilot theme. First anime I ever saw, and in a theater no less, was Galaxy Express 999 - that was pretty mind blowing back when. I still enjoy that one, along with Harlock, Queen Emeraldas, etc.

radamanthys
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Just because it's an episodic series doesn't mean it sucks. The 'arc' in bebop lies solely within character development, setting and overall style.

Plus, there's an underlaying arc. Other than in episodes 5, 12/13, and 25/26, when it becomes the forefront.

Androidpk
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Haven't followed Anime in over 10 years. I loved the old movies. Venus Wars, 3 x 3 Eyes, RotLW (OVA), etc. The last thing I watched as far as series goes is .hack//sign and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I only do dubbed though.

Same here.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Just because it's an episodic series doesn't mean it sucks. The 'arc' in bebop lies solely within character development, setting and overall style.

Plus, there's an underlaying arc. Other than in episodes 5, 12/13, and 25/26, when it becomes the forefront.

Yeah, I don't dig that.

Though seriously, it's got to be of when I watched it. I expected a solid arc like every other anime I had seen to date. I did not get one. I QQ'd moar.

Androidpk
06-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Anyone ever watch Iria: Zeiram the Animation (or something like that) That is to this date one of my favorite anime movies. Sci-Fi channel used to put on a show called Saturday Anime WAAY back in the day. That is how I used to watch it when I was still in middle school. Stay up all night on friday and watch Saturday Anime at like 9AM.

That movie is the bomb!

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Anyone ever watch Iria: Zeiram the Animation (or something like that) That is to this date one of my favorite anime movies.

Oh crap, how could I forget Iria (3 VHS set) as well as Armitage the III. I have those somewhere. Wonder why I they aren't in my old VHS collection... Yes, I loved Iria. And fucking Armitage was great.

Shit, now I know I'm missing some Anime. I'm missing all my Pioneer anime. Tenchi Muyo, El Hazard.... Crap I know I had more. Anyone else remember the playing card game Pioneer put out? I had the set!

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I am confounded no one else has agreed with me on Code Geass yet.

Lelouch vi Britannia commands you: WATCH THAT SHIT
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FFr_CL_FHPk/SbFjISgAtgI/AAAAAAAAJWg/hjbhbb_tG0Y/s400/Lelouch1.jpg

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I don't dig that.

Though seriously, it's got to be of when I watched it. I expected a solid arc like every other anime I had seen to date. I did not get one. I QQ'd moar.

Anime was just sort of a passing interest of mine until I watched CB. I had never seen anything that felt like there was a lot of growth in the characters, and yes, if not typical "plot development", a story that was deeper than just ridiculously heavy-handed morals. Cowboy Bebop made a lot of people a FAN of anime, where as they might just have watched it in interest. I think for those hardcore fans that were around way before the show, it doesn't have nearly as much mystique.

Except for Ed. I hate stupid, superfluous anime characters which add absolutely nothing to the plot. They are in damn near EVERY anime in existence.

P.S.

I watched Sailor Moon in the mornings when I was getting ready for school. I'm not sure what that means.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Except for Ed. I hate stupid, superfluous anime characters which add absolutely nothing to the plot. They are in damn near EVERY anime in existence.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Has anyone ever seen Black Jack? If Pinoco simply did not exist, it would be over 9000 times better.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Same thing with those puppets in Bleach, especially that pedo-bear. Yeah, I get it. He likes underaged big-breasted chicks. Same damn joke every fucking episode.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Same thing with those puppets in Bleach.

Those puppets don't exist in the manga. The Bount arc is not canon.

Kon on the other hand...Eh, he was funny when he first appeared.

SUPER SIZE!!!1

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Those puppets don't exist in the manga. The Bount arc is not canon.

I mostly didn't like the Bount arc, but the last few eps of Ichi fighting the main bount were actually pretty good. Ichi actually grew as a character because of the experience.

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
What about Paranoia Agent? That was some freaky shit, but it was good.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I mostly didn't like the Bount arc, but the last few eps of Ichi fighting the main bount were actually pretty good. Ichi actually grew as a character because of the experience.

I hated the Bount arc. I just couldn't get into it. It just felt like there wasn't any character development at all and they were just doing what we already knew they would. Which makes sense--they had to avoid inconsistencies when they started doing the canon stuff again.

Honestly, Bleach should just have actual seasons. Like, with breaks.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I don't dig that.

You've not watched much anime then. I've already listed two and I'm old skool and not watched anything since Spirited Away.

Curious Fact about the Guyver - it's had three series now, all of which were different. Fist of the North Star has also had two seperate series, the movie, and the live action flick. All were seperate entities. Guyver has had two live action movies - the first, Mutronics starred Mark Hamil. This film was what got me into anime in the first place. The sequel, Guyver Dark Hero, featured non-other than David Hayter, AKA Solid Snake, as the protagonist.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
You've not watched much anime then.

Either that or I'm selective, avoiding things without arcs in the first place.

Actually, that might have been it.

Numbers
06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
I read/watch the most recent Bleach and Naruto.

Other than that, my only exposure is what's on Adult Swim, though they seem to be scaling back on the anime. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Paranoia Agent, FLCL. Liked all of them.

I'm really not a fan of the giant robot anime, though.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Curious Fact about the Guyver - it's had three series now, all of which were different. Fist of the North Star has also had two seperate series, the movie, and the live action flick. All were seperate entities. Guyver has had two live action movies - the first, Mutronics starred Mark Hamil. This film was what got me into anime in the first place. The sequel, Guyver Dark Hero, featured non-other than David Hayter, AKA Solid Snake, as the protagonist.

Neat. I knew I kept seeing that movie in a bunch of different forms. I didn't think the anime was THAT good, but apparently I was in the minority. Cool concept anyway.

I think there was a live action for Iria as well. I've never seen the live action for Fist. Was that any good?

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
The sequel, Guyver Dark Hero, featured non-other than David Hayter, AKA Solid Snake, as the protagonist.

NO SHIT?! I'm going to have to watch that again... and periodically shout... SNAKE?! SNAAAAAKEEEE!!!! at the screen.

Renian

ANIME RULE: Whatever it is, it's better with mechs.

Code Geass = Death Note with mechs. As such, the second season of it is the #2 best anime of all time according to user ratings on Anime News Network. Death Note clocks in at...7th? I'll have to look. I don't agree with that rule though, and I think it should be abolished.

EDIT: 6th.

radamanthys
Anime was just sort of a passing interest of mine until I watched CB. I had never seen anything that felt like there was a lot of growth in the characters, and yes, if not typical "plot development", a story that was deeper than just ridiculously heavy-handed morals. Cowboy Bebop made a lot of people a FAN of anime, where as they might just have watched it in interest. I think for those hardcore fans that were around way before the show, it doesn't have nearly as much mystique.

P.S.

I watched Sailor Moon in the mornings when I was getting ready for school. I'm not sure what that means.

I think the story is far deeper in bebop than in many other anime. The typical shonen- Naruto, DBZ and Bleach as examples- just don't compare to things like Samurai X, Lupin III and Bebop.

I liked Last Exile, though. And Ruroni Kenshin, and Hellsing, and Beserk (The ending never happened), and a bunch of others.

(Has anyone mentioned Escaflowne yet?)

Fallen
I read/watch the most recent Bleach and Naruto.

Other than that, my only exposure is what's on Adult Swim, though they seem to be scaling back on the anime. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Paranoia Agent, FLCL. Liked all of them.

Mecha can get really boring, really fast.

I forgot about Death Note. As much as I hate depressing shit, I loved the first half of that series. Once they killed off a certain someone, I just sorta stopped following it. Shit got bleak fast.

FLCL...Talk about no story arc. That shit had no point, ever.

radamanthys
06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
ANIME RULE: Whatever it is, it's better with mechs.

Code Geass = Death Note with mechs. As such, the second season of it is the #2 best anime of all time according to user ratings on Anime News Network. Death Note clocks in at...7th? I'll have to look.

Big O. 'nuff said.

Death Note >>>> Code Geass. The dub is horrid in Geass, almost unwatchable for the sheer 'wince' factor.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Big O. 'nuff said.

Death Note >>>> Code Geass. The dub is horrid in Geass, almost unwatchable for the sheer 'wince' factor.

The Big O...was like watching Batman with robots.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Big O. 'nuff said.

That's why I watched the sub. The sub is better in Death Note too, ESPECIALLY at the end when Light LOLs.

Renian
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I forgot about Death Note. As much as I hate depressing shit, I loved the first half of that series. Once they killed off a certain someone, I just sorta stopped following it. Shit got bleak fast.

No one gives a fuck about Near and Mello, that's why.

Tolwynn
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
The Big O...was like watching Batman with robots.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 10:34 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I'm sorry, it was like watching a Batman you didn't really care about with robots. He never did screw that robot, did he?

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Big O. 'nuff said.

SHOWWWWWW TIMEEEEEE!!!!

Word. Big O rocked.

Also, who can forget about all the Gundam out there. Gundam and Macross = Mecha win

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry, it was like watching a Batman you didn't really care about with robots. He never did screw that robot, did he?

Would you screw a robot?

Also... GUNGRAVE FTW.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Would you screw a robot?

What else are they good for? Honestly.

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Fist, the live action, was probably the worst film ever made. It starred Chris Penn as Jaggy ffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-yRpdf7Yk&feature=related

I loved the original Guyver (not the OVA, mind). I got into it purely from loving Mutronics as a child.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Fist, the live action, was probably the worst film ever made. It starred Chris Penn as Jaggy ffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-yRpdf7Yk&feature=related

I loved the original Guyver (not the OVA, mind). I got into it purely from loving Mutronics as a child.

I honestly have no idea which Guyver I watched. I just remember it ruled when he went into full-on robot mode, stopped whining, and started beating the shit out of stuff.

That, and people yelling, "GUYVEEERRRRRR!" was always worth while.

Revalos
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I used to be one of the people who watched dubbed anime for many of the reasons mentioned above (reading grainy subtitles, not liking the japanese voice actors, etc...) but when I heard about Gurren Lagaan I didn't want to wait for the dubbed version. It was totally a different experience to have never heard the english version (and holy shit were the dubs bad when I finally did see it on Adult Swim) and I will probably do imports from now on for new series that look good.

Gurren is one of the best new animes I've seen, great story arc, and not too much CGI bullshit that I completely agree is taking over anime these days.

Of course...I really do like both Place Promised in our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star, so maybe I just don't like CGI when it doesn't look like CGI, but I think it is because Shinkai can tell a damn unique set of stories.

Just to mention some others not mentioned already: I am a big fan of Elfen Lied, although I'll admit, it is difficult to watch and not laugh at some of the theoretically horrible points. I also liked Chrno Crusade (kind of like Trigun with the comedy giving way to seriousness) but it was a bit campy. Similarly, Moonphase is pretty good too, if you can get over the portrayal of some of the characters.

I was thinking about getting Venus vs. Virus as well as Code Geass:LotR. Sounds like Code is good, anyone heard anything good/bad about VvV?

StrayRogue
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
The OVA was like a long episode encapsulating the first two eps of the first series. Basically Guyver 1 fights a female Guyver II.

This is the OVA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efw0Jt29d1Q

The series expanded on the OVA, had additional characters, and was 12 episodes long.

This was that series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4x-Hurzwuo

Years later, probably about 10, they remade it again, in a long ass anime series that more closely resembled the story from the manga. It was more true to the story and the characters, but I felt the upgraded animation quality made it look less...human, less loved.

The remake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gLwBN1sSQs&feature=related

Renian
06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Chrno Crusade

It's actually Chrono Crusade. It was called Chrno due to an epic typo in the printing.

That said...Chrono Crusade had an arc (yay) but was eh for other reasons. Most notably, Chrono only uses his power...thrice? And the final fight was anti-climatic to an extreme. It just felt like wasted potential.

Renian
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
So I need to convince you guys to watch Higurashi. This will either it do it to the extreme or make you vomit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vw1ir1YtQQ

RelentlessJew
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
So I need to convince you guys to watch Higurashi. This will either it do it to the extreme or make you vomit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vw1ir1YtQQ

Well... I'm not vomiting... but it wasn't what I look for in anime.

I guess I'd have to know a lot more about the story to understand why all that was happening... but it seemed pretty nonsensical to me.

Also, the depiction of the blood with the stabing/slashing was either too much blood or not enough... it just didn't make any sense. I'm picky about my realism.

Renian
06-26-2009, 01:10 PM
I guess I'd have to know a lot more about the story to understand why all that was happening... but it seemed pretty nonsensical to me.

Yeah, there's a very logical explanation to what's going on.

Ashlander
06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned Slayers yet. Code Geass is one of my more recent favorites. If you don't mind subs I'd recommend Natsume Yuujinchou. Great storyline and interesting characters. Pandora Hearts caught my interest too.

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned Slayers yet. Code Geass is one of my more recent favorites. If you don't mind subs I'd recommend Natsume Yuujinchou. Great storyline and interesting characters. Pandora Hearts caught my interest too.

You didn't see them mentioned in my list?

Ashlander
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Must've completely missed it, sorry Mario.

The Ponzzz
06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Hahahah! No problem. I liked season 1&2 mostly though. Lina Inverse was the shit.

Donquix
06-26-2009, 07:31 PM
There is a shit ton of anime, mostly subbed, on Hulu for free (save the commercials you just alt tab back over to the forums during)

For whoever mentioned they were going to import Naruto Ship, it's all on there and completely up to date. The shows come up a week after there air date. Also has things like bleach (though woefully behind), death note, and a lot of others.

http://www.hulu.com/channels/Animation-and-Cartoons#kind=shows&sort=popular_today

As far as the cowboy bebop conversation that was going...no arc makes it bad anime? Are you such a slave to formulaic crap? One of the absolute best parts of Bebop was that it had a story and continuity but it didn't simplify itself into "(insert character here) has been kidnapped by (insert villain here) and taken to his (select one: lair, planet, alternate dimension). Please go there and act (select one: cocky, cool/confident) until you have the upper hand, where upon the previously mentioned evil lord will (shapeshift/power up)" etc.

It had strong themes throughout the show and all the episodes leading up to the end were meant to establish the back stories of the characters until the climax. I'm all for a good princess saving romp, but lets be honest...most anime mentioned here is made for 10-18 year old boys, it's very simple. Bebop had a much more mature story telling structure which is what made it stand out so much.

Anime is a genre, not a formula. Bebop is great anime.

Renian
06-26-2009, 08:27 PM
As far as the cowboy bebop conversation that was going...no arc makes it bad anime? Are you such a slave to formulaic crap?

It had strong themes throughout the show and all the episodes leading up to the end were meant to establish the back stories of the characters until the climax.

Oh shit. I only got to like Episode 23 before I stopped. That was probably the problem if that's the case.

EDIT: Actually, wait. Why should I have to go through an entire series until something actually entertaining happens?

One of the absolute best parts of Bebop was that it had a story and continuity but it didn't simplify itself into "(insert character here) has been kidnapped by (insert villain here) and taken to his (select one: lair, planet, alternate dimension). Please go there and act (select one: cocky, cool/confident) until you have the upper hand, where upon the previously mentioned evil lord will (shapeshift/power up)" etc.

The only anime I've watched where that's really the case is Bleach and Full Metal Panic. I didn't watch DBZ for BS like that.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh shit. I only got to like Episode 23 before I stopped. That was probably the fucking problem if that's the case.

Lol. Alot is squeezed into those last few episodes. I don't think i've ever watched them as I don't like depressing shit.

The only anime I've watched where that's really the case is Bleach and Full Metal Panic. I didn't watch DBZ for BS like that.

Don't forget Naruto. He also just described every RPG ever made as well.

Renian
06-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Don't forget Naruto. He also just described every RPG ever made as well.

I don't watch Naruto.

Also the Shin Megami Tensei games aren't like that. Every FF maybe.

At any rate, since it's been a few years, and since all of you are like "WTF BEBOP PWNS I'M GOING TO RAEP U WITH A CACTUS", I'll watch it again and see if my opinion changes.

Donquix
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm not saying you have to like it, but it seemed your point (or someone maybe it was someone, i was kinda glancing over the thread so i lost track of who said what) was that it wasn't "really" anime because it didn't have some cut and dry quest the main characters were on.

Like fallen said though, they pack a ton into the last few episodes. Everything leading up to that has hints of what the end will be about, but mainly it's just there so you learn about the characters and get attached to them. For instance take Jet...lots of series (anime or not) have worked the "i'm a hardass ex cop" angle. That's nothing new.

But all the ganymead episodes where you get to SEE that instead of having it be just something mentioned or hinted about (or seen breifly in flashbacks in the middle of other stuff) really fleshs out the character.

I thought it was brilliant how they basically give each character their own mini series within the whole, sprinkle in the current shenanigans together, and then all the stuff at the end of the series...what would normally be an entire season for other anime...brings it all to a head.

Fallen
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Also the Shin Megami Tensei games aren't like that. Every FF maybe.

Nor is Fallout 1 and 2, but on the whole, that is most RPGs.

Renian
06-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm not saying you have to like it, but it seemed your point (or someone maybe it was someone, i was kinda glancing over the thread so i lost track of who said what) was that it wasn't "really" anime because it didn't have some cut and dry quest the main characters were on.

I never said it wasn't really anime. I just said it blows ass because it had no solid arc. But without watching the last few episodes, again, that may be the problem from what you guys are saying.

Nor is Fallout 1 and 2, but on the whole, that is most RPGs.

Can't argue with that.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I import all of my kinky tentacle porn, unless it's live action. You've gotta find that in the US.

Renian
06-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Oh, fuck. I forgot about Fate/stay night. It's pretty damn good for being based off a porn.

Also, Claymore.

Cap'nDrak
06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Just finished all of the Naruto, working on Shippuden right now. My favorites have always been the Samurai X. Afro Samurai is funny as hell. Ummmm.... Gundam Wing, sadly I have only seen what was released in America on Cartoon Network. Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty awesome when they were in the Tournament fighting series. I forget what season that took place.

Thats pretty much it. After I finish the last 2 seasons of Shippuden, I'm moving on to Bleach. Hulu is awesome.

Donquix
06-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Just finished all of the Naruto, working on Shippuden right now. My favorites have always been the Samurai X. Afro Samurai is funny as hell. Ummmm.... Gundam Wing, sadly I have only seen what was released in America on Cartoon Network. Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty awesome when they were in the Tournament fighting series. I forget what season that took place.

Thats pretty much it. After I finish the last 2 seasons of Shippuden, I'm moving on to Bleach. Hulu is awesome.

Indeed, it's awesome that they're up to date on Naruto. I wish they would release all of the Bleach episodes instead of 1 every week :\

Lumi
06-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Holy fuck, so much to say in this thread X.x

SatAnime was my intro to anime. Iria, Green Legend Ran, 8 Man After, Casshan:Robot Hunter, Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival...fond memories forever imprinted. Some were better than others, of course, but they're like a first love, you always remember it fondly.

Iria and VHD were particularly kickass.

Regarding Bebop:

This. Bebop has an amazing storyline. If you don't get it, even as you're watching the show, that's your fault and your loss.

Also, even if you don't watch the rest of the series, EVERYONE should see the episode Mushroom Samba (17, I think?) at least once :D

You've not watched much anime then. I've already listed two and I'm old skool and not watched anything since Spirited Away.

This.

Oh crap, how could I forget Iria (3 VHS set) as well as Armitage the III. I have those somewhere. Wonder why I they aren't in my old VHS collection... Yes, I loved Iria. And fucking Armitage was great.

Shit, now I know I'm missing some Anime. I'm missing all my Pioneer anime. Tenchi Muyo, El Hazard.... Crap I know I had more. Anyone else remember the playing card game Pioneer put out? I had the set!

Bonus points for mentioning Armitage and Tenchi. Tenchi, sadly, is like an obstacle course...awesome fucking prizes, but lots of booby traps.

OVA: awesomesauce
Tenchi in Tokyo: DIAF
Tenchi Universe (aka Tenchi TV): Meh.
GXP: Haven't seen it, I hear it's crap.
First movie (Tenchi Muyo! In Love): Worth a watch at least once if you enjoy Tenchi.
Second movie (Tenchi Muyo! Daughter of Darkness): DIAF
Third movie (Tenchi Forever): pwnz

I hated the Bount arc. I just couldn't get into it. It just felt like there wasn't any character development at all and they were just doing what we already knew they would. Which makes sense--they had to avoid inconsistencies when they started doing the canon stuff again.

Honestly, Bleach should just have actual seasons. Like, with breaks.

Bleach doesn't need seasons, it's fine the way it is (it runs the same way Kenshin did). However, the Bount arc, and the more recent filler arc, are ass. It was fun to see a couple of the things they threw out during those arcs, though (certain people's fathers, Ishida getting the spotlight for a bit).

The modified soul puppets can DIAF, too. So can every episode with Don Kanonji after the first.

FLCL...Talk about no story arc. That shit had no point, ever.

Bite your fucking tongue, sir! FLCL absolutely has a story (a coming-of-age story, and a more literal princess-rescuing-her-prince/government-chasing-down-a-fugitive-space-pirate story). This is one of my favorite anime series of all time. I highly, highly recommend giving it another try (it's only 6 eps!).

...Gurren Lagaan...Voices of a Distant Star...Elfen Lied

TTGL is one of the best series to be released in a long time...instant classic.

Voices is akin to Grave of the Fireflies in that it is 1) beautiful, 2) incredibly sad, and 3) something that everyone (not just fans of anime) should see at least once (and for many people, exactly once).

Elfen Lied was...eerily fun. It tickled parts of my brain that don't often get tickled, but I really enjoy when they do.

Re: the whole sub v. dub thing...subs all the way. There are no conditions, ever, EVER, when a dub is superior*. There are rare occasions when the dub isn't worse, but that's it. Japanese and English are two radically different languages; trying to force the voices to fit is a fool's errand most of the time. Not to mention there are simply certain sentiments that don't translate well; it's better to stick with the Japanese word or phrase, which your audience will pick up relatively quickly anyway, than try to come up with some awkwardly translated English bullshit.

It doesn't take long at all to get used to watching subs, and then you read them without even noticing; it's not a distraction at all.

Recommendations:

Ah! My Goddess (OVA, tv series, movie)
Cowboy Bebop (tv series, movie)
Elfen Lied (OVA)
El Hazard: The Magnificent World (OVA)
Escaflowne (tv series, movie)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex (tv series, 2 seasons, 2 movies)
Full Metal Alchemist (tv series, 2 seasons, ongoing, there's a movie but ignore it)
Furikuri/FLCL (OVA)
Future Boy Conan (if you like really, really old school...Miyazaki tv series from before Studio Ghibli!)
Grave of the Fireflies (movie - watch this once, and not while you're depressed!)
Haibane Renmei (OVA - much more laid back, bit of a shoujo series, not big on action)
Kaze no Tani No Nausicaa (Miyazaki movie)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Miyazaki movie)
Macross Frontier (tv series, WATCH THIS SHIT! Also, there are easter eggs in this for anyone who knows their Macross history)
Macross Plus (4-part OVA)
Macross ZERO (4-part OVA)
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (tv series, haven't gotten around to watching this yet, but everyone and their dog has recommended it highly to me)
Metropolis (movie)
Mononoke Hime (Miyazaki movie)
Nadesico (tv series, movie, IN THAT ORDER)
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (tv series, 40 eps)
Noir (tv series)
Outlaw Star (tv series, lighter-hearted version of Bebop)
Read or Die (OVA, tv series, fucking WATCH THIS SHIT, in THAT ORDER!)
Record of Lodoss War (watch the OVA, take or leave the tv series)
The Slayers (tv series, 3 seasons, 4 movies - haven't watched the movies yet, but I heard from reliable sources that they're quality)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (tv series)
Vampire Hunter D (movie)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (movie)
Vandread (tv series, 2 seasons)
Voices of a Distant Star
Wolf and Spice (tv series, much more laid back, not an action series)

I'm forgetting a ton, but I'd recommend all of the above, though I doubt many people will like ALL of it (unless your tastes are VERY similar to mine :)).

Also, it's not anime, but I feel obligated to mention that Avatar is a fucking awesome show, and I highly recommend it as well. It's like "honorary anime", or something.

Edit: Forgot my footnote for the sub v. dub thing. The exception that proves this rule is a 2-episode "series" called Shinesman. It's basically a Power Rangers pardoy...totally ridiculous, and hilarious, and the bad dubbing actually improves the ridiculous hilarity of it all.

StrayRogue
06-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Any of the studio Gihbli stuff is well worth a watch, even for non-anime fans.

I personally only liked the very original Tenchi series, as it was awesomely funny and cute at the time. It just became a big cash-milking headache afterwards.

Armitage was a good Blade Runner spin, but the movie follow-up sucked.

Fallen
06-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Re: the whole sub v. dub thing...subs all the way. There are no conditions, ever, EVER, when a dub is superior*. There are rare occasions when the dub isn't worse, but that's it. Japanese and English are two radically different languages; trying to force the voices to fit is a fool's errand most of the time. Not to mention there are simply certain sentiments that don't translate well; it's better to stick with the Japanese word or phrase, which your audience will pick up relatively quickly anyway, than try to come up with some awkwardly translated English bullshit.

See, this is coming from a true fanboy perspective. Do you honestly expect the average viewer to get into anime if they try to eat a pile of subbed stuff? Hell no. It is like people jumping right into movies, except all they can watch is foreign films. Not just artsy, stick Jesus up on some wood junk, but EVERY movie.

Now adays, you just don't need to bother with subbed anime UNTIL you are a fanatic, and are importing stuff straight from japan. I really don't mind if voices don't match the characters lips completely...because when they do, it doesn't matter as all I hear is, "Mushimushi moosh-san!"

I WILL give you that the translations can be a bit awkward, but most of the top shelf anime you see will be well translated. It is also pretty cool to watch anime that you've experienced dubbed in subtitles just to see the slightly different spins on things. But yet AGAIN, that's for fanboys, not your casual viewers.

And yes, Avatar fucking rocks. Hopefully the Live Action movie will be worth a damn, and they will actually finish the fucking show.

Revalos
06-27-2009, 09:19 AM
See, this is coming from a true fanboy perspective. Do you honestly expect the average viewer to get into anime if they try to eat a pile of subbed stuff? Hell no. It is like people jumping right into movies, except all they can watch is foreign films.

This. It took me 5 years of watching mostly dubs, and honestly just the chance obsession with TTGL to see the real value of subs. I really don't care for the English voice actors that they picked for TTGL, and the emotion is totally different with the original Japanese voices in many cases.

But yeah, n00bs should definitely watch dubs, then if they get obsessive, go for subs of new series, not of the dubs they've already watched.

Baelog
06-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Wow, lotta anime fans, and I'm one of them...there are a few particular animes that no one has mentioned and I don't plan on bringing them up either...now, moving on...

Macross
Cowboy Bebop
Tenchi Muyo
Naruto (Naruto and Sasuke can DIAF, for all I care. Shikamaru fan)
Outlaw Star
Fist of the North Star
Tenjho Tenge (They really need to finish the fucking anime, bastards)
Grappler Baki
Samurai X/Ruroni Kenshin
Cyborg 009 (No one mentioned this yet?)
Lupin III
Yu Yu Hakusho (First season, anyway...)
Trigun
Big O
Gundam (There's so many I can't keep track)
Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle (Don't think anyone mentioned this either?)
Appleseed
Patlabor
Street Fighter
Voltron
Ronin Warriors
Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac

Yeah, I know, some of mine are pretty old school and were probably never thought off...as for others...

I'd probably like Bleach if I ever got into it, I'm meaning to watch Lodoss at some point, and Death Note just reminded me of "Catch me if you Can" with a supernatural book...meh

Ashlander
06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
For the subs vs. dubs debate for me it always depends on which version I see first, but for most of the stuff I'm watching now I don't have that choice since it isn't out on our side of the ocean yet.

PS - Grappler Baki was the shit. I wish they'd finish the damn series off though.

Warriorbird
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Baccano!

Methais
06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
A thread for discussing imported/subbed anime! Discuss your anime addictions here!

Naruto?

Gundam 00?

I've been watching both of these now for a while, as they are released from japan, subtitled. Gundam 00 is finished now, and Naruto is still kicking. I've enjoyed both.

Is anyone else watching these?

What about the new Dragon Ball Kai, which is a streamlined re-release and digitially remastered Dragon Ball Z?

The show is supposed to follow a more manga-like storyline and make things move faster, without so many filler episodes. So far so good. Hell, Raditz died in episode 3. Nappa dies in episode 13. I forget when that happened in the DBZ episode lineup, but I know it took a LOT longer.

http://magmagmaomg.ytmnd.com/

4a6c1
06-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Fushigi Yugi was my one and only serious anime addiction. I got bored with anime after high school but before that happened I bought this box set off the internet for 400 plus. Hellz yeah, I said it...FUSHIGI YUGI

Not a series but Darkside Blues is an awesome movie.

Lumi
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
See, this is coming from a true fanboy perspective. Do you honestly expect the average viewer to get into anime if they try to eat a pile of subbed stuff?

Yes, I do. And I know plenty of people for whom this was the case.

I also know plenty of people who were turned off to anime because they watched the dubs first and...

the translations can be a bit awkward

and...

the emotion is totally different with the original Japanese voices in many cases.

It's a different experience; specifically, it's way less awkward in Japanese. Production quality matters, a lot.

It is like people jumping right into movies, except all they can watch is foreign films.

If the first movie I showed someone was Brotherhood of the Wolf, or Life is Beautiful, or Amelie, or Pan's Labyrinth, I'd expect them to...want more.

Nowadays, you just don't need to bother with subbed anime UNTIL you are a fanatic, and are importing stuff straight from japan. I really don't mind if voices don't match the characters lips completely...because when they do, it doesn't matter as all I hear is, "Mushimushi moosh-san!"

Sure, it sounds like Japanese, because it's supposed to! More importantly, it sounds natural. You seriously don't get a nails-on-chalkboard feel from listening to dubs that have been awkwardly forced to fit English words into those "Mushimushi moosh-san!" lip movements? It fucks with pronunciation, it fucks with pacing, and it fucks with the actual content, because they often have to stick words, or stupid, drawn-out groans in to fill in the space. Or they rush everything, and it's just as messy.

I WILL give you that , but most of the top shelf anime you see will be well translated. It is also pretty cool to watch anime that you've experienced dubbed in subtitles just to see the slightly different spins on things. But yet AGAIN, that's for fanboys, not your casual viewers.

My should we introduce the newbs with crap, and then show them the good stuff later? Would you try to introduce a friend to drinking by giving him a warm beer and telling him that the Bacardi 151 you'll give him later is totally worth choking that shit down?

And yes, Avatar fucking rocks. Hopefully the Live Action movie will be worth a damn, and they will actually finish the fucking show.

The trailer looks badass. I have issues with some of the casting, but definitely not with the guy they got for Aang. I hope he can act, because he looks dead on, and apparently he actually IS some 12-year-old martial arts master :)

ETA: What do you mean by "finish the fucking show"? O.o It is finished, they did three seasons, it wrapped up quite nicely. Have you not seen the 2-parter "Sozen's Comet" at the end of the Book of Fire?

But yeah, n00bs should definitely watch dubs, then if they get obsessive, go for subs of new series, not of the dubs they've already watched.

See above.

Fushigi Yugi was my one and only serious anime addiction. I got bored with anime after high school but before that happened I bought this box set off the internet for 400 plus. Hellz yeah, I said it...FUSHIGI YUGI

Fushigi is actually what got a whole slew of my friends into anime, which quite honestly surprised me. I really like it as a whole, but I wouldn't recommend it for a starter. As long as you can get over the seething hatred everyone naturally feels for Miaka, it's a fun series :)

4a6c1
06-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I really like the overuse of TAMAHOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats my fav.

Fallen
06-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree, Lumi. Even now I usually wont bother with subbed anime, and I consider myself a fan of a genre. I just don't like reading small print when I am watching a show. It is like reading a book and watching a movie at the same time. One or the other.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty big fan of anime but I'm not into subbed stuff. I'm a quick reader so it's not like it takes much for me to read the subtitles, but frankly I think inflection is language specific to make a good impact and having a good dub trumps subbing. It's not about me not wanting to read something, but more that in some cases the dubbing is more effective to make the whole picture.

A good example was Death Note with Light's tone and behavior (i.e. the difference between his crazy laugh and his normal laugh). The subbed version really didn't capture that like the dubbed version did.

That said the animes I watch the most:

Record of Lodoss War
Berserk
Witch Hunter Robin
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Death Note
Outlaw Star
Ninja Scroll
Hellsing
Peach Girl
Spiral
Texhnologyze
Knight Hunters

I'm always looking for more good anime.. but I tend to always get mine dubbed if I can.

Lumi
06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty big fan of anime but I'm not into subbed stuff. I'm a quick reader so it's not like it takes much for me to read the subtitles, but frankly I think inflection is language specific to make a good impact and having a good dub trumps subbing. It's not about me not wanting to read something, but more that in some cases the dubbing is more effective to make the whole picture.

See, this confuses me. I don't have any problem getting inflection from the Japanese audio; I find it sounds much more natural than the dubs.

In all seriousness, dubs make me cringe. It's not an elitist thing, it's a perception thing...it just sounds more natural in Japanese.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-27-2009, 10:42 PM
See, this confuses me. I don't have any problem getting inflection from the Japanese audio; I find it sounds much more natural than the dubs.

In all seriousness, dubs make me cringe. It's not an elitist thing, it's a perception thing...it just sounds more natural in Japanese.

Inflection differs language to language. Period. Japanese inflections do not carry the same weight to native English speakers as hearing the same inflections in English.

Warriorbird
06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I just want the mouths to match up right.

Lumi
06-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Inflection differs language to language. Period. Japanese inflections do not carry the same weight to native English speakers as hearing the same inflections in English.

I find that interesting seeing as how I haven't watched a dub in years and I have no trouble whatsoever with the inflections, range of emotion, or overall delivery of the Japanese voices. I really don't think inflection is as linguistically segregated as you're suggesting; it's not hard to tell when someone is sad or happy, depressed or excited, etc. even if you can't understand the actual words.

Especially when it's being translated at the bottom of the screen. Good subbers reflect this in the subtitles, too.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I find that interesting seeing as how I haven't watched a dub in years and I have no trouble whatsoever with the inflections, range of emotion, or overall delivery of the Japanese voices. I really don't think inflection is as linguistically segregated as you're suggesting; it's not hard to tell when someone is sad or happy, depressed or excited, etc. even if you can't understand the actual words.

Especially when it's being translated at the bottom of the screen. Good subbers reflect this in the subtitles, too.

Oh wow you haven't watched dubbed titles so therefore there's no difference?

Honestly get the fuck over it. You act like someone personally snubbed that some people OMFG DONT PREFER listening to it in Japanese with sub titles. It's a matter of personal preference. Not that they don't "get it" or other crap. It's a viewing preference and either way, you get the idea.

The Ponzzz
06-28-2009, 12:57 AM
I personally refuse to do dubbed. I don't like to read the screen and not understand a thing I hear. Natural or not, I don't understand it, therefore it serves no purpose to me. And reading it seems to take away from watching. I don't do subbed foreign films either. And I especially don't do it for American movies. I personally hate when a director puts in realism by making the characters speak the native tongues. If I want to read, I'll grab a book, kthx.

Renian
06-28-2009, 07:00 AM
If I want to read, I'll play Gemstone, kthx.

FTFY

Warriorbird
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I've listened to a fair amount of dubbed stuff. It just annoys me when you watch a bunch and it's always the same five or so voice actors playing everybody.

Renian
06-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I've listened to a fair amount of dubbed stuff. It just annoys me when you watch a bunch and it's always the same five or so voice actors playing everybody.

YURI LOWENTHAL

That fucker is everywhere. He does good voice acting, but he fails at changing what his voice sounds like.

Stretch
06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't have a ton of data points around anime, but with games at least the only one where I thought the English voice acting was outstanding was the Metal Gear Solid series.

Every other game I've played that was first released in Japan, I've hated how unnatural the dubbing sounds. My biggest beef with Persona 3 and 4 was how distractingly bad the actors were.

StrayRogue
06-28-2009, 11:50 AM
FFX was pretty good, dub wise, I thought.

Fallen
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't have a ton of data points around anime, but with games at least the only one where I thought the English voice acting was outstanding was the Metal Gear Solid series.

Every other game I've played that was first released in Japan, I've hated how unnatural the dubbing sounds. My biggest beef with Persona 3 and 4 was how distractingly bad the actors were.

Really? Persona 3 was commended on how good the voice acting and translation was in the review I read. I believe it.

Ashlander
06-28-2009, 03:44 PM
the voices in both those games were great.

Renian
06-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah the Persona 3 voice actors were good, even though four of the characters were YURI LOWENTHAL. Yes, FOUR. And all of them were incredibly important to the story. There's one voice actor in Persona 3 that was terrible...and that was Fuuka's.

AND THEN THEY MADE HER TALK IN EVERY ROUND OF COMBAT.

Lumi
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh wow you haven't watched dubbed titles so therefore there's no difference?

Um...how'd you get to that conclusion? I started out watching dubs, when nothing else was available and I didn't know anything else. Even from the beginning, the shitty voice acting was something I just gritted my teeth and bore through. I've always thought that 99% of English anime dubs are crap, it just wasn't enough to make me give up on anime. Then I found subs and never looked back.

I've been forced to watch a few dubs since then, and it's done nothing to change my opinion. I still feel subs are superior, for all the reasons I've listed so far in this thread.

Honestly get the fuck over it. You act like someone personally snubbed that some people OMFG DONT PREFER listening to it in Japanese with sub titles. It's a matter of personal preference. Not that they don't "get it" or other crap. It's a viewing preference and either way, you get the idea.

Whoa. Taking it personal much?

There's nothing to "get over". There's no snub, at least not on my end. You made a definitive statement:

...that is incompatible with my experience. And I know I'm not the only one. You don't need to be a fluent Japanese speaker to pick up the inflection in the language. I speak very, very little Japanese at all, but I've listened to enough of it to pick up certain words, phrases, linguistic oddities, and yes, inflection.

All I'm saying is that it's not this cut-and-dry issue you made it out to be, and my experience is that once you get used to it, it (subs) offers a superior viewing (and listening) experience.

Warriorbird
06-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah the Persona 3 voice actors were good, even though four of the characters were YURI LOWENTHAL. Yes, FOUR. And all of them were incredibly important to the story. There's one voice actor in Persona 3 that was terrible...and that was Fuuka's.

AND THEN THEY MADE HER TALK IN EVERY ROUND OF COMBAT.

This post elevates you to the rank of cool even outside DR. Now the voice has a name!

:grins:

-sometimes Trinean

Renian
06-28-2009, 06:38 PM
-sometimes Trinean

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6108/snuckupkb0.jpg

RelentlessJew
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
So I just watched Naruto Shippuuden 122.

Then I made this...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Fellcasters/URFACE.jpg