PDA

View Full Version : How long is milk good for after the 'sell by' date?

Stretch
06-21-2009, 05:56 PM
It's 6 pm, I had a long weekend, and am too lazy to go get groceries.

The milk in my fridge has a 'Sell By' date of 6/19. Good to go? Or should I toss it? Bought it about a week and a half ago, there's like half a gallon left.

AnticorRifling
06-21-2009, 05:58 PM
It's 6 pm, I had a long weekend, and am too lazy to go get groceries.

The milk in my fridge has a 'Sell By' date of 6/19. Good to go? Or should I toss it? Bought it about a week and a half ago, there's like half a gallon left.

You're going to have to test it. Don't sniff the carton/gallon because there can be milk around the lip that will smell horrid. Pour a small amount into a cup, smell it, if it smells fine you're good to go.

Generally you want to finish a gallon within a week of opening it but there is a lot of play in that rule of thumb.

grenthor
06-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I am such a freak about it I usually don't even drink it on the date marked.

I've been a freak about spoiled food since I was a kid and what really clinched it was a couple years back when I didn't notice the milk was past the date - turned it up for a nice big chug and got a few gulps in before I realized it was really really really bad.

Which just solidified for me that I am happy being a freak about spoiled food.

Mikalmas
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.moomilk.com/faq.htm#milk%20last

Personally, I'll use milk at least 3-4 days past the "sell by" date. I think the type of milk factors into it, too. For example, skim milk seems to last longer past the sell-by date than whole milk.

Asha
06-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I've never really thought about it before but now I do I realize I've never drunk, seen or smelled milk past its Sell By.
I like it too much it never gets a chance to stay that long.

Stanley Burrell
06-21-2009, 07:08 PM
YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

Edit: Oh, you didn't actually drink it yet? Well ... You'll die someday, mortal bitch. Fuckshitcuntwhorepurplemushroomstamp bye.

nub
06-21-2009, 07:20 PM

I've been a freak about spoiled food since I was a kid and what really clinched it was a couple years back when I didn't notice the milk was past the date - turned it up for a nice big chug and got a few gulps in before I realized it was really really really bad.

Same, it's not worth it to taste even a little bit. I became a lot more concious about it back in college when (I blame my roommate) for leaving it out and I smelled it and was mad that he left it. So knowing that he is even more oblivious to things than me I put it back in the fridge and he had a much worse time by gulping it down.

Anyway, it depends if it has ever been left out. And since you said it has already been half empty it could be bad.

StrayRogue
06-21-2009, 07:41 PM
The smell test is the most telling of all tests.

AnticorRifling
06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I would venture to say that the taste test can be even more trauma inducing.

Are we still both talking about milk? Even if we aren't, and I know we aren't, I'm right.

Geshron
06-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Sell by is just when it has to be out of the dairy cooler, perishables have various expirations post that date. You're safe.

Jayvn
06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Fuck that I won't drink it the day prior

Khariz
06-21-2009, 10:50 PM
For questions such as this:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Bhuryn
06-21-2009, 11:25 PM
If you buy decent milk it's generally good for 7 days past the date marked on the gallon.

Bobmuhthol
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I guess that's true if you're fucking insane and love awful milk?

I'm in the "it's not good even before the expiration date" crowd. Besides, it's time after you open it that matters, not time after the date.

The Ponzzz
06-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah, not good enough for the dairy cooler is not good enough for me. Peace out milk. It's only $3 a gallon to replace it.

Mikalmas
06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Note that it's a "sell by" date and not a "use by" or "expires" date.

Celephais
06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Pff, milk can't go bad, pour it in a bowl and grab yourself a spoon.

Jayvn
06-21-2009, 11:52 PM
sell by date might as well say this shit turns to poisong with chunks of cheese floating around in it....

I also hate cold cheeses... all I can think of is rotten milk

The Ponzzz
06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I throw meat away too that is past the date. I don't fuck around with bacteria. Most times I've tried to do milk the day after the "sell date" it either smelled like a dirty ass or was 1% a la chunks.

The Ponzzz
06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I don't eat yogurt or cottage cheese either. Get that shit out of my house.

Jayvn
06-21-2009, 11:55 PM
It sounds like you went to food handling class too..

Swami71
06-22-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd drink it. Sour milk won't kill you.

ZeP
06-22-2009, 01:35 AM
:rofl: This is ridiculous. If its two days over and has been open 10 or 11 days before the sell by thats almost two week old opened milk. OP must have been bored or doesn't know much about milk but definitely mis-named the thread.

iJin
06-22-2009, 02:22 AM
:yeahthat:

Methais
06-22-2009, 03:55 AM
I was gonna post a picture of some curdled milk, but the search results had an effect on me similar to the effect goatse has on normal people and I was forced to abort mission. :(

Xaerve
06-22-2009, 05:56 AM

Works with old clothing, milk, many things. I love the smell test.

Gan
06-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Nice to know that you're clinched and solidified. Dairy can do that to people. A nice laxitive will help your problelm.

I would venture to say that the taste test can be even more trauma inducing.

Are we still both talking about milk? Even if we aren't, and I know we aren't, I'm right.
:lol: :puke:

I dont know about you. But if I'm going to taste something - it has to get past the nose first.

CrystalTears
06-22-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.moomilk.com/faq.htm#milk%20last

Personally, I'll use milk at least 3-4 days past the "sell by" date. I think the type of milk factors into it, too. For example, skim milk seems to last longer past the sell-by date than whole milk.
This.

We usually have 1% in my house so it will last longer than whole or buttermilk. The more fat it is has, the more prone it is to going bad faster.

Skim milk is like water, it doesn't go bad. :D

Gan
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
My wife started buying organic milk and it has a longer date than regular milk - or so I noticed.

Cephalopod
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Organic milk tends to be ultra-pasteurized, due to the cows not being given the same antibiotics. The ultra-pasteurization It gives a much longer shelf life.

I have both skim (for me) and whole milk (for my kids) in my house; the whole milk definitely goes bad quicker, although I've been buying straight from a local dairy lately and it has that same uber-high-pasteurized expiration date, so it lasts for weeks.

For skim milk, I use the sniff test... but I feel icky about drinking it past the due date, even if it's fine. I've had a few bad-dairy experiences where I took a big gulp of something way past its prime.

Drew
06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I throw it out the day before the sell date, but I don't have a sense of smell so I have to be extra careful.

CrystalTears
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
For those who discard the milk even before the sell date...

Had you come across a time where it was bad right at the sell by date, or do you just not want to take that chance?

Bobmuhthol
06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I consider milk to be "bad" when it is no longer fresh, not teetering on becoming sour. So yeah, pretty much all the time it's bad by that date, particularly when it is purchased and used significantly before that date. It's a number printed on the carton; by itself it doesn't indicate anything.

Fallen
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I always smell the milk before tasting a small bit if it is past the EXP date. I don't really pay too much attention to EXP dates.

BigWorm
06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Milk is disgusting no matter what the expiration date is. Drinking that shit is unnatural.

Gan
06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Milk is disgusting no matter what the expiration date is. Drinking that shit is unnatural.

Formula baby?

Trouble
06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

I agree. The concept of drinking milk anytime after weaning is disgusting to me. I haven't consumed milk as a beverage since I was in junior high school. I continued to use it in cereal occasionally through high school and college. Now I eat cereal dry (if at all).

With that said, I do still like cheese and some other dairy-based foods. I've tried various non-dairly cheeses (from my vegetarian phase) and they just don't do the trick, unfortunately.

The smell of even non-spoiled milk makes me nauseous sometimes now.

CrystalTears
06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I can't imagine eating cake or cookies without a glass of milk with it.

Back
06-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Wrongah. Its the most refreshing drink besides water. Or Coke.

PS. Or Guinness.

AnticorRifling
06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Whole milk is where the magic happens.

Trouble
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
So essentially sucking a cow's tit as an adult human doesn't seem disgusting, or at least a bit out of place?

You wouldn't drink your dog's milk, would you? a pig?

There are other ways to get dietary calcium.

Xaerve
06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
So essentially sucking a cow's tit as an adult human doesn't seem disgusting, or at least a bit out of place?

Nice argument -- you should be a lawyer. No, seriously.

Allereli
06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
http://images.netrition.com/images/bd_almond_breeze_unsweetened_new.jpg

CrystalTears
06-22-2009, 04:28 PM

Dude, if I had ever even sucked a cow's tit, you'd have a point.

You're dangerously close to a vegan outburst. Tread lightly. ;)

Cephalopod
06-22-2009, 04:28 PM

Tearing the flesh from a pig's back, belly or sides seems a bit out of place, but I still enjoy the fuck out of some bacon.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I always smell the milk before tasting a small bit if it is past the EXP date. I don't really pay too much attention to EXP dates.

Me neither, actually.

I smell/test everything perishable before using it, including milk.

Also, pigs are our friends. And make great food.

Methais
06-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I agree. The concept of drinking milk anytime after weaning is disgusting to me. I haven't consumed milk as a beverage since I was in junior high school. I continued to use it in cereal occasionally through high school and college. Now I eat cereal dry (if at all).

With that said, I do still like cheese and some other dairy-based foods. I've tried various non-dairly cheeses (from my vegetarian phase) and they just don't do the trick, unfortunately.

The smell of even non-spoiled milk makes me nauseous sometimes now.

So it's ok to eat milk, but not to drink it.

AnticorRifling
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Dude, if I had ever even sucked a cow's tit, you'd have a point.

You're dangerously close to a vegan outburst. Tread lightly. ;) What if we can answer yes to one of those?

Trouble
06-22-2009, 05:15 PM
So it's ok to eat milk, but not to drink it.

I'm working on it. As soon as I can find palatable non-dairy cheese I'll be set. Either that or I have to give up Pizza, which would be very tough for me. Most other applications of dairy I can deal without.

And I have no problem with people eating cows or wearing cow hides on their feet, it's just sucking their tits I have issues with. Who the Hell came up with that idea? Probably some farmer got a little carried away in his post-coital embrace.

I accept that Life can never be universally defined in a Boolean manner. I go as far along the scale of gray such that my personal sense of black and white is satisfied. Y'all are free to drink milk and I do not personally judge anyone for doing so. It's just something I strive to avoid and happen to think is gross.

Methais
06-22-2009, 05:41 PM
And I have no problem with people eating cows or wearing cow hides on their feet, it's just sucking their tits I have issues with. Who the Hell came up with that idea? Probably some farmer got a little carried away in his post-coital embrace.

Equating drinking milk with sucking a cow's tit is like equating eating a sausage with ramming your head up a pig's asshole and eating its intestines.

As for where it came from...I would guess that since milk is considered nutritious, and since cows are big animals that can produce a lot of it, said farmer put 2+2 together with his answer being profit.

Trouble
06-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Equating drinking milk with sucking a cow's tit is like equating eating a sausage with ramming your head up a pig's asshole and eating its intestines.

Make that comparison if you like; the concept of sausage is gross to me too (I did successfully make the transition to veggie dogs and fake sausage but they haven't quite got pepperoni correct yet - again, pizza foils my efforts!).

I maintain my position that I think the concept of drinking another species' milk is disgusting. The only way I can rationalize it is in cases where a human mother for some reason cannot lactate or is unable to produce enough milk for her child/ren. Yes, I know I like cheese and that makes me situationally hypocritial. I can admit that. I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be.

I do not know what I would do if I had kids. If my hypotheitcal kids wanted milk, I would most likely buy it for them. I would say I'd use soy milk but I want to see how the research on the female hormone analog stuff works out first.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian. Bacon is the thing that brought me back from being a vegetarian and it's the thing preventing me from ever going back.

As for where it came from...I would guess that since milk is considered nutritious, and since cows are big animals that can produce a lot of it, said farmer put 2+2 together with his answer being profit.
Yeah I was more making a joke there. I'm sure people have been consuming milk since the beginning of animal domestication thousands of years ago. It still strikes me as funny though that someone would think to do it in the first place.

Fallen
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Meat is delicious. The thought of eating meat is gross. Milk is delicious. The thought of drinking milk is gross.

Why overthink things? If it taste good and doesn't make you sick, consume it.

The Ponzzz
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Being a picky eater is a bitch. Plain and simple! I like tomato sauce, but I can't eat tomatos (or ketchup). I like ranch flavoring, but I can't eat ranch dressing.

TheRunt
06-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Whole milk is where the magic happens.

Close, I prefer half&half or occasionally straight heavy cream but I'm a freak. :help:

And I use the expiration date as a guideline, I trust my nose. And so does my wife and son. They always ask me to "sniff this", for milk I can tell 2-3 days before it turns, seriously, I have a very sensitive nose for bad dairy. And most rotten food for that matter.

Sean of the Thread
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Lil off topic here but milk is one of my favorite drinks. Problem is I'm lactose intolerant badly but someone just told me there is a pill you can take to make it all good. I can't find certainty on the net and i'm not calling my dr.

Anyone know about this?

Allereli
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Lil off topic here but milk is one of my favorite drinks. Problem is I'm lactose intolerant badly but someone just told me there is a pill you can take to make it all good. I can't find certainty on the net and i'm not calling my dr.

Anyone know about this?

no, but a quick search came up with this:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp140278_333181_sespider/lactaid_fast_act/lactase_enzyme_supplement_caplets.htm

Sean of the Thread
06-23-2009, 11:59 AM
no, but a quick search came up with this:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp140278_333181_sespider/lactaid_fast_act/lactase_enzyme_supplement_caplets.htm
yeah saw that earlier just wasn't sure about it.

Called my pharm and they said they can't really give advice out on things like that... wtf not? It's over the counter ffs.

Allereli
06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
yeah saw that earlier just wasn't sure about it.

Called my pharm and they said they can't really give advice out on things like that... wtf not? It's over the counter ffs.

I have a friend who takes pills like this. They seem to work for her.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Meat is delicious. The thought of eating meat is gross. Milk is delicious. The thought of drinking milk is gross.

Why overthink things? If it taste good and doesn't make you sick, consume it.

Ditto all of this.

Tsa`ah
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't understand how anyone can make a gallon of milk last to the expiration date ... unless it's something unholy like skim.

Sean of the Thread
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't understand how rat boy can think he'll hurt any of us unless he knows how to a l9a61 correctly which I doubt. 30 yards from me and you're eating .357sig auto +p.

Tsa`ah
06-23-2009, 01:52 PM
How long is milk good... 06-23-2009 12:45 PM You're a fucking idiot.

No ... U.

CrystalTears
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't understand how anyone can make a gallon of milk last to the expiration date ... unless it's something unholy like skim.
It probably goes faster when there are kids in the house. We get the smallest container available for milk because we really only have it with cereal. As much as I love milk with cookies/cake, we don't keep any in the house.

Tsa`ah
06-23-2009, 01:58 PM
It probably goes faster when there are kids in the house. We get the smallest container available for milk because we really only have it with cereal. As much as I love milk with cookies/cake, we don't keep any in the house.

It was a joke on my part since I'm a milk freak ... even without the kids.

CrystalTears
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
It was a joke on my part since I'm a milk freak ... even without the kids.It does a body good. :)

Warriorbird
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Some milk is already not good before the date. Pour then smell.