PDA

View Full Version : To brawl or CoS (this time for my ranger)

justincredible
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
It's more of a question as to hide or not to hide. If I drop the hiding part of my training and trim a little fat I could be 2x brawl in addition to my ranged, perception and ambush.

I have one of those nifty + strength greaves which will get my rt from open down to 4 with my long bow if I go the brawling route.

I enjoy hunting with my paladin friend and in a group I've found hiding to be most annoying. It's not reliable protection in camps and I'm just not sure it's worth the time.

Any advice would be quite welcome before I blow this fixskills....

Thanks

Ryvicke
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I've found hiding to be most annoying. It's not reliable protection in camps and I'm just not sure it's worth the time.

What level are you?

I only ask because at 34 with 2x S/H and 34 ranger ranks (and sniping for the eye) I almost never get pulled out of hiding in camps that I solo. I have no idea how I would survive camps self-spelled without the hiding, and even with full 100's/wizard spell up I don't think my TD is good enough to stand up to warders if I was in the open.

I ask what level cause I sure as hell hope that as I level these grims don't get amazingly more perceptive or something.

Also--aside from those questions, would you go Voln if you were to brawl? And if you're sick of hiding in groups, then just don't, when I hunt with people and we're killing fast without swarms I usually just hang in the open and shoot off everything's legs.

zhelas
06-17-2009, 12:25 PM
What level are you?

I only ask because at 34 with 2x S/H and 34 ranger ranks (and sniping for the eye) I almost never get pulled out of hiding in camps that I solo. I have no idea how I would survive camps self-spelled without the hiding, and even with full 100's/wizard spell up I don't think my TD is good enough to stand up to warders if I was in the open.

I ask what level cause I sure as hell hope that as I level these grims don't get amazingly more perceptive or something.

Also--aside from those questions, would you go Voln if you were to brawl? And if you're sick of hiding in groups, then just don't, when I hunt with people and we're killing fast without swarms I usually just hang in the open and shoot off everything's legs.

At 56 my Ranger is in GoS just got rank 10. He does Hiding and stalking. I have thought about removing that skill and make him hunt from the open but it is in his character to hide and snipe. How reliable is it? More times than anything it has save his life when he is in a warcamp by himself. His TD with full Ranger spells and Spirit Spells is about 250 plus he wears augmented chain which is nice to. He is able to survive for a while against the warders.

When he hunts regularly he rarely hides except against a grizzled creature.

If you Brawl I highly recommend Voln, though it is not necessary. Fu and Rangers with Mobiles is incredible. It is nice to have that secondary attack.

I did COL with my ranger but to be honest GoS, in my opinion is a lot more fun than COL. Atleast for now until they finish the review.

Truthfully it really doesn't matter. Play your ranger the way you like, it is really hard to screw up a ranger:

Peace

justincredible
06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
40, 78 ranks of hide and get pulled out too often for it to be safe. I tend to up-hunt in general and I've noticed that hiding gets hard once I get around 5 levels over my head.

Maybe I'm just super unlucky but I only get about 3 shots off before I end up out of hiding in a camp. Which is more than enough to kill something but usually not the 2-3 I find myself in a room with.

Also I was wondering if anyone familiar with semi-dux is about how helpful the extra ranks of brawl will help my redux if I'm 1x in ranger spells? If not should I get shadow mastery to help me stay hidden? I will have more tp's once I get my 70 ranks of armor (2 more levels!!) so I can start in on the CM

Ryvicke
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Are you dropping vines when you camp? I don't know if the extra 6 or so H/S ranks you're missing to be fully 2x'ed are affecting anything but I usually get pissed cause I have to bring myself out of hiding to loot all the dead grims. I don't know if the one grim that gets brought down by the vine helps me not get spotted but it definitely prevents the room from ever getting too crowded as at least half the grims that spawn or walk in will walk away from the vine on their next turn.

When I don't drop the vine they just all sit there trying to sniff me out. The vine is key.