PDA

View Full Version : Would You Like a DUI With That?

Methais
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
DUI deputies may be posted in drive-thrus
Operation WULF (Would U Like Fries) to sniff out impaired
By Kim Smith
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.14.2009

Drunken drivers with the late-night munchies soon could get more than just a burger and fries at the drive-through window.

The Pima County Sheriff's Department's new anti-drunken driving campaign — called Operation Would U Like Fries, or Operation WULF — hopes to put undercover deputies inside 24-hour fast-food restaurants to spot impaired drivers placing their orders, said Sgt. Doug Hanna, DUI unit supervisor.

If deputies notice someone with any of the classic symptoms of impairment — slurred speech, red or watery eyes, beer breath — they will radio a uniformed deputy stationed just outside, Hanna said.

The second deputy will then pull over the driver and, if field tests confirm what the officer at the drive-through suspected, arrest him or her for driving under the influence.

Bankrolling the intermittent program will be a $128,000 grant the Sheriff's Department received from the Governor's Office of Highway Safety for fiscal year 2008-2009, Hanna said. The grant also funds sobriety checkpoints and other anti-drunken driving programs.

Hanna said several local franchise owners and managers are interested in participating in the program, but are waiting for corporate approval. Once they get it, Hanna anticipates Operation WULF would take place every quarter or so.

Tucsonan Carlos Sanchez said he thinks the idea makes a lot of sense, since it's a popular belief that people under the influence of drugs and alcohol often get hungry while partying.

"It's just another way to get drunk drivers off the street," Sanchez said.

Pamela Andrews, another local resident, has mixed feelings.

"I think it's a good idea, but then again, isn't it entrapment?" Andrews said. "I'd say do it anyway, though. I'd rather know the kids are safe out there — the ones who aren't drinking, but are behind the wheel."

Local defense attorneys and at least two local restaurateurs, were appalled at the idea.

"I have no love for drunk drivers, and I want them off the road, but this is too much like Big Brother," said Tom O'Connor, owner of Tucson's 21 Eegee's.

"The idea is to get them before they get back on the road," Hanna said.

Watching for impaired drivers from a parking lot is one thing; "fishing" for them from inside a business is another, O'Connor said.

Mike Herndon, who owns seven local Burger Kings, also was opposed.

Defense attorneys Joseph St. Louis, Michael Bloom and Brick Storts all questioned the allocation of resources in these economic times and the legality of such a program.

For example, alcohol on the breath doesn't mean someone is impaired, Storts said.

St. Louis said law enforcement agencies spend a lot of money training officers to spot impaired drivers — and now those officers will be stuck behind a drive-through window.

"I've been practicing law 21 years, and I've done in excess of 200 DUI cases, and I can think of one that occurred at a fast-food restaurant," St. Louis said.
But he did see one upside: "I can't wait to challenge the first one in court."
Bloom isn't sure undercover deputies will have enough time to develop the "probable cause" needed to pull over drivers.

"The deputies will claim the program will deter drinking and driving, but once the word is out, all they are going to do is deter drunk drivers from going through the drive-through. … Project WULF is not going to reduce people's blood alcohol levels, but it might reduce their cholesterol levels."
Critics of the program have their own ideas for addressing the problem of drunken driving. Storts suggested more roadblocks. St. Louis advocates dashboard cameras that would provide evidence against impaired drivers while also protecting deputies from allegations of excessive force and other inappropriate behavior.

Local resident Debbie Ammons said she'd rather see grant money used to fund the school resource officer program, which has experienced cutbacks lately.

DUI unit supervisor Hanna said Operation WULF is just another tool for law enforcement agencies to use in battling drunken driving. The more deputies out in the community — whether they are at checkpoints, on the roads, in liquor-serving establishments or at drive-through windows — the more likely the message will get out.

"Hopefully, people will start getting the message, 'Don't drive impaired,' " he said.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police were the first ones to come up with the drive-through concept, Hanna said. He learned about their program, Operation WULF, while attending a MADD conference in Dallas.

The sergeant pointed out that former University of Arizona quarterback Willie Tuitama was cited for extreme DUI after McDonald's employees alerted a Tucson police officer that they suspected he was impaired, Hanna said. Tuitama was placed on 12 months of unsupervised probation last week after pleading guilty to misdemeanor DUI.

"Lots of time we get information from people working the drive-through," Hanna said. "They'll say, 'I wish you'd been here five minutes ago because we had someone who was really smashed just come through.' "

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/296960

Stanley Burrell
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd be slick about it, so after I ordered my food I'd ask the smiling hamburger with a microphone for its mouth if they were a police officer, and then if they said no, I'd say, "I'm drunk and high." But if they said yes, I'd drive away and they'd have made a happy meal for no reason. Bastards.

Methais
06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
But you'd be talking to the restaurant employee, who isn't a cop, so they'd say "no" every time anyway.

Stanley Burrell
06-15-2009, 02:12 PM
SHIT

Mikalmas
06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
LOL, what an amusing story. I'd never even thought about drive-thrus, but God knows I frequented plenty of them when I was drunk in my early years (not driving, of course).

Gallows Thief
06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
They should hit White Castles at 2 AM...nothing good happens at White Castles that late...

Warriorbird
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Taco Bell, Sonic, and Jack in the Box.

Methais
06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
OR JUST WALK OUTSIDE THE BAR AND BUY A HOT DOG AND SAVE YOURSELF A DUI!!!!!!!!!!111

/plug

Jorddyn
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
OR JUST WALK OUTSIDE THE BAR AND BUY A HOT DOG AND SAVE YOURSELF A DUI!!!!!!!!!!111

/plug

You need gyros.

Kitsun
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Once word got out that they had cops at the drive through, don't they think that people would figure it out and buy some where else? Nice "gotcha" move that will hurt sales in the long run.

Back
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Jack in the Box.

I miss $2 tacos. :(

Probably the only thing that sucks about the East Coast.

Mikalmas
06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Once word got out that they had cops at the drive through, don't they think that people would figure it out and buy some where else? Nice "gotcha" move that will hurt sales in the long run.

Is there a problem with a nice "gotcha" move that involves busting drunk drivers?

Methais
06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Is there a problem with a nice "gotcha" move that involves busting drunk drivers?

He's saying once people catch on, it will become ineffective, as they'll go somewhere else to eat instead of the drive thru.

radamanthys
06-15-2009, 04:17 PM
I pulled up behind some kid at the order box in front of me at 2am. I was DD.

He proceeded to open his door and puke. Just missed the box. I heard him say to the person inside, "Somebody puked."

It was a bit horrifying.

LMingrone
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
The cops up in Burlington, CT have a better method. The turnpike only has a few ways to get off of, and every fast food joint/hang out spot is between the ways off. There's also a ton of strip joints, bars, and brothels.

They just sit at both main exits and stop every car. Last time I went up there, there must have been at least 50 cars sitting in a parking lot. I'm guessing they we're all pulled over for DUIs or racing. Everyone races up there. Awesome thing is some of the cops drive around in confiscated street racing cars. So they start races with dumb kids in their Honda's and pull them over.

Methais
06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Awesome thing is some of the cops drive around in confiscated street racing cars. So they start races with dumb kids in their Honda's and pull them over.

Isn't that entrapment?

LMingrone
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. They never ask people to race. They just pull up with their tinted out cars at stop lights. And dumb kids race them. I guess it's a gray area.

Geshron
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I would think they'd (dumb kids) would have to prove legally that revving your engine at someone clearly signifies "race me". I imagine the cops laugh out of court every time. Entrapment isn't the easiest thing in the world to prosecute or prove, for that matter.

Celephais
06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Tucsonan Carlos Sanchez said he thinks the idea makes a lot of sense, since it's a popular belief that people under the influence of drugs and alcohol often get hungry while partying.
This line is hilarious.

Awesome thing is some of the cops drive around in confiscated street racing cars. So they start races with dumb kids in their Honda's and pull them over.
I've never seen them in confiscated cars... I don't think they can do that. The cops on the pike do however have several unmarked vehicles that they use for catching people ... usually just black chargers.

The stupid part is they don't get people for speeding there, because it's a long strait multi-lane road with a 50mph limit and frequent lights... people "race" to 50mph (well some idiots go faster than that and get busted for speeding), instead they get them on "Excessive acceleration".

Methais
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
instead they get them on "Excessive acceleration".

:wtf:

Celephais
06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
:wtf:
Yup... it's completely moronic because they don't have any metrics on it ... it's not like they can say you were going greater than 5 m/s^2 or anything.

Whatever, it's kind of stupid to be racing there in the first place because it's so heavily enforced.

Lumi
06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I would say they should rotate between lots of drive throughs, one at a time. Whoever said they'd eventually drive late-night business away is dead on.

Make it more of a gamble. Drunk and high kids will still take a gamble every time.

Celephais
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Excuse me sir, that's an awfully large order, let me guess, you're hungry? ... been doing a little bit of partying this evening?

Methais
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Excuse me sir, that's an awfully large order, let me guess, you're hungry? ... been doing a little bit of partying this evening?

You heard it here first. If you're hungry at night, it means you're drunk.

Back
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Profiling.

Godamn white people can’t get a break.

Methais
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Profiling.

Godamn white people can’t get a break.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/106456.jpg

This kid is clearly drunk.

LMingrone
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
I've never seen them in confiscated cars... I don't think they can do that. The cops on the pike do however have several unmarked vehicles that they use for catching people ... usually just black chargers.

The stupid part is they don't get people for speeding there, because it's a long strait multi-lane road with a 50mph limit and frequent lights... people "race" to 50mph (well some idiots go faster than that and get busted for speeding), instead they get them on "Excessive acceleration".

You know your stuff. They are black Chargers.They have a few other cars though. And a few are from drug busts. A bunch of people have died in races (mostly motorcycles) up there.. They are mostly nabbing the drunk fourty-year-olds driving home from the strip clubs.