PDA

View Full Version : Coup De Grace

JaedenZentalinDeron
06-08-2009, 03:47 AM
[Roll result: 167 (open d100: 86) Penalties: 7]
You lunge towards the krag yeti, intending to finish it off!
You slam your vultite raiding axe into the side of its face with all your might!
Blood pours out of the krag yeti's nose and ears as pieces of jawbone protrude from its cheek!
The krag yeti collapses to the ground and shudders once before finally going still.

The heady flush of your spectacular kill makes you feel invigorated!
Roundtime: 8 sec.

+14 AS for about 3/4 the time as surge.. it owns..

DaCapn
06-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Does it give you ACTUAL strength or just an AS bonus?

StrayRogue
06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Just AS, which makes it vastly inferior to Surge. Plus, since they nerfed coup, it's been pretty rubbish, mechanically.

Ker_Thwap
06-08-2009, 07:47 AM
It give an AS boost for you and everyone in your group. It lowers the AS of all the creatures in the area as well. I've been getting between 10 and 30 AS boosts.

For solo hunting the 8 second delay leaves you twisting in the wind a little too long. The effect doesn't last all that long either and you're limited on what creature you can use it on by which ones stay stunned for a long time.

It's certainly a fun thing to mess around with, but I'm not convinced it's efficient in most situations. It's a special use tool at best.

StrayRogue
06-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I thought it was any critter in the room that gets the AS reduction.

ElvenFury
06-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Just AS, which makes it vastly inferior to Surge. Plus, since they nerfed coup, it's been pretty rubbish, mechanically.

Depends on how you look at it. If it added to strength it would probably be useless to a lot of people with capped surge and decent strength enhancives. It's pretty awesome when you have a group of melee fighters hunting together.

Ogreslayer
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Another nice thing about coup is that it refreshes. If I get a +30 or better result (I think it caps at +40 with open rolls), follow-on successful coups will refresh the effect, retaining the high AS bonus even on crummy rolls.

Fallen
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, at rank 5 it is very nice. You can sustain it throughout an entire hunt if your stamina holds.

Donquix
06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Up to +40 AS and it looks badass.

Coup rocks.

droit
06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I'd learn coup in a heartbeat, if I could. If a spike thorn doesn't kill something outright, chances are they'd be real close to death and ripe for a coup. I'd pretty much be able to sustain the AS bonus for as long as I wanted.

Fuck, I want that maneuver.

StrayRogue
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
It was better uncapped. I'd see it more of a pain in the ass in terms of group hunting too. "Oh wait a sec while I knock this critter down to 25% health, stun it then spend 10 seconds killing it". In that time you could have killed a room.

Kitsun
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
In a good group, you'd have haste on!

droit
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Is the RT variable at all, or is it a flat 8 seconds like in the above example?

StrayRogue
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Why waste time stunning it then? Just kill it?

ElvenFury
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Why waste time stunning it then? Just kill it?

At 5 ranks you have to get it down to 50%, not 25, which isn't that tough. It can be a little more complex in a group, but it's not that hard to get into a rhythm and know who is going to stun and damage a critter to set it up for you. And just killing it doesn't add to everyone's AS. It shouldn't be that hard to see how it can be a useful skill. It sounds like you're just panty-bunched that it got a little nerf.

JaedenZentalinDeron
06-08-2009, 01:13 PM
IT OWNS!!!! and it looks cool

;p

StrayRogue
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
It got a nerf most likely before you began playing. But anyway, it's a pretty useless group skill, imo. Side-by-Side is much more reliable, same with Surge.

Coup is just near the top of that list of CMANs that aren't totally necessary unless you like gimping yourself (such as wspec, mobility etc) but are pretty situational and otherwise not very good beyond the occasional use. Like dust kick, groinkick, haymaker, subdual strike et al.

ElvenFury
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
So Side-by-side > Coup?

ROFL.

Oh, and no CMAN is necessary, if you really want to anal-yze them like that.

StrayRogue
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Certainly, in terms of group hunting. Static AS/DS boost > random AS boost with stipulations of having to stun a critter at 50% health.

Wow, you're hilariously pedantic aren't you. Necessary in terms of mechanical benefit. Surge was the best for a longtime, along with Wspec, Smastery, Mobility etc etc. You'd have to be fucking retarded to swap one of those for say Dust Shroud.

Guarrin
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
What are the bonuses for side by side (As/DS) at rank 5?

I have coup, and usually use it once or twice a hunt. However, I'm usually hunting with someone that sets up creatures (prone and less than 50% health), and, I always have haste running. That cuts it down to 5 seconds I believe, which, IMO is certainly worth the AS bonus.

droit
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Think of it this way, SR. A focused mstrike will likely bring something to less than 50% health and stun it simultaneously. To kill it with another focused mstrike would cost stamina and possibly take a fair amount of RT, depending on your build. Regular attacks are unreliable and may take a couple attempts to finish it off. On the other hand, you can just coup it in 8 seconds and receive an AS bonus for you and your group. It seems pretty obviously superior for an mstrike/attrition build.

Donquix
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I no rite? I hate maneuvers that basically give me sign of madness for an entire hunt.

Oh wait...

Bhuryn
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I must be the only person that doesn't use surge =P.

Stunseed
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I must be the only person that doesn't use surge =P.

At 32, my Warrior doesn't have surge, either. I'm sure I will pick it up again at some point, but I find with coup/sattack/berserk my AS is fine.

Bhuryn
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Well being a paladin I haven't really seen the need until semi recently (hunting lesser minos/krag at 65). I thought about giving it a shot the other day but I decided I'd wait till later =P.

Danical
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
If only 1 creature was in the room and the conditions were met, I wish you could coup the creature while zerking instead of just pummeling the everliving christ out of it.

TheLastShamurai
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Well being a paladin I haven't really seen the need until semi recently (hunting lesser minos/krag at 65). I thought about giving it a shot the other day but I decided I'd wait till later =P.

It's good if you open ambush. Keeps your RT down when you start to become encumbered.

Stunseed
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
If only 1 creature was in the room and the conditions were met, I wish you could coup the creature while zerking instead of just pummeling the everliving christ out of it.

I would love a combo option while in berserk. It would be awesome. Or for a double round, it'll coup for you.

Since you can't pop on an offensive berserk, it'll be pretty smooth.

DoctorUnne
06-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Focused mstrike + coup = the shit.
Warcamp + coup = the shit
Group hunting + coup = the shit
Big group warcamp hunting + coup = the super shit
Sucker punch + coup = the illegal shit

I'll agree it's only a situational use cman when you're hunting solo. I love using it on sabre-tooth tigers because they're a royal pain in the ass to hide on and they're fast. So I wait for one to swing, focused mstrike (which sets it up for coup 95% of the time it doesn't kill it outright) and then coup, gives me a +25 to +40 AS bonus on average which I can keep up the entire hunt.

But I use it all the time in groups. And it's not hard to time a coup in a group if you have rank 5. Especially since monsters tend to have a boatload of HP.

And for anything that breaks stuns quickly, sucker punch is a 3-second, low stamina maneuver that can be followed by a coup.

JaedenZentalinDeron
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
so it turns out in the end that only the meanie heads and noobs hate coup de grace and all the real hunters use it !