PDA

View Full Version : First time ranger

Mateius
06-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Never played a ranger before. Could use some help and advice with stat placement and such.

I'm open to race suggestions but I plan on going archery spec.

What has worked for the successful rangers out there?

Methais
06-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Spec lasers.

phantasm
06-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Direstrike told me rangers are teh suck, and to never make one, he was a level 70 ranger.

Goretawn
06-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I have an HK ranger that has been using a longbow for a 3sec rt since he was about 12. Their strength bonus is nice for the reduction. I am not at home, so I can't send you his stats/trng. Will try to remember it tonight.

Drew
06-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah if you want to be a bow using ranger half-krolvin is an ideal race stat wise. I wouldn't recommend it because of the negatives that come with playing a half krolvin, honestly it's really hard to mess up a ranger, especially a bow wielding one. Just pick the race that appeals to you most.

Goretawn
06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Eh, the only negatives are 70% of the people play half-krolvin haters and all the towns hate you, so you need to bone up on trading. With the new documentation, it can make some interesting role play though.

pabstblueribbon
06-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually... you want to be firing a longbow in 3 seconds aimed. In order to do this you need to calculate your max STR bonus. I've found dwarves to be awesome rangers due to strength bonus and elemental TD bonus as well as increased spirit regeneration. Giantman isnt a bad choice either. I dunno IM me later and we can discuss it.

Mateius
06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Actually... you want to be firing a longbow in 3 seconds aimed. In order to do this you need to calculate your max STR bonus. I've found dwarves to be awesome rangers due to strength bonus and elemental TD bonus as well as increased spirit regeneration. Giantman isnt a bad choice either. I dunno IM me later and we can discuss it.

Lies....you're just trying to trick me into cybering.

Mateius
06-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Spec lasers.

I'll make disingration flaring arrows. thanks.

AnticorRifling
06-06-2009, 10:46 AM
1) Buy all the leafy, green, earth tone shit you can
2) Name the toon Legggooolasses
3) ????
4) Profit

Jayvn
06-07-2009, 07:26 AM
1) Buy all the leafy, green, earth tone shit you can
2) Name the toon Legggooolasses
3) ????
4) Profit

Clearly you forgot a few g's in there... but the drift has been caught.

kookiegod
06-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I play a half-krol empath now and then. Totally funny cause some people don't want me to heal them and he growls a lot at the racism. Some good RP most of the time.

As far as rangers, yah, hard to muck it up. As long as you got access to spells from elsewhere, go straight to 40 in ranger ranks, double perception, ignore ambush (the bonus you get isn't worth the TPs till post cap I don't think)...

This is mine...

(at level 13), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 90 20
Ranged Weapons.....................| 128 34
Physical Fitness...................| 70 15
Dodging............................| 78 17
Arcane Symbols.....................| 58 12
Magic Item Use.....................| 66 14
Harness Power......................| 62 13
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 50 10
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 13

You are a member of the Guardians of Sunfist at rank 14.

I fire from the open, hiding just takes time, training toward heavy armor, and the magical skills are to use imbeds, scrolls and other toys, heavy on dodge for the evade and DS vs hiding.

~Paul

Mateius
06-07-2009, 04:24 PM
How much str do you need to use a long bow at 3 sec RT?

BriarFox
06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
How much str do you need to use a long bow at 3 sec RT?

A bonus of +50, counting spells. So, with a ranger, +40 with Phoen's Strength, +25 with 606 and 509.

Aiming and hiding each add one second of RT to a shot. A longbow has the highest Rt at 5 seconds unaimed/open, 7 seconds aimed/hidden. Each +15 STR bonus reduces 1 second of RT, i.e. at 5/20/35/50. Both Phoen's Strength (+10) and Wizard's Strength (+15) count.

You need a total Strength bonus reduction of 35 to fire an unaimed longbow in 3 seconds, and 50 to fire an aimed longbow in 3 seconds.

Mateius
06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Rep given where it was due.

Nuc
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I play an HK claid wielding ranger. Longer RT than bow, less scripting and headache though. Can 2x cman is nice though...I think most of the bow users are 1x till cap but I could be wrong.

AKOE!
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I use a long bow and Voln Fu as a very..very effective backup. As long as you don't care about stalking and hiding I think it's the best setup. I also single train in cmans but I honestly don't need them. They just keep me from getting bored (spiked/disintegration flaring leg greaves = fun!). I always hear Darth Vader in my head saying, "Nooo, disintegrations!" I'm a nerd, I know.

Ryvicke
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
God I love stalking and hiding with sniping... unless you're in some nicely padded brig or chain I really don't think Rangers can just take open hits self-spelled. S/H makes sure you don't take too many.

Bhuryn
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Doesn't ambush go into the aiming success roll?

pabstblueribbon
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Only if you're firing from hiding. Which I find pointless. Ranger DS is insane if you drop hiding/ambush and pump up dodging/spells.

Ryvicke
06-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Only if you're firing from hiding. Which I find pointless. Ranger DS is insane if you drop hiding/ambush and pump up dodging/spells.

Really? But dodge is so expensive and so is even thinking about doubling spells. Just my experience here but as a ranged hider with 1x in spells and .75x in dodge and pretty mediocre 5x brig I definitely should not be standing in front of anything that isn't disabled for too long.

It was slightly less dangerous with a shield of course, but self-spelled it still wasn't a great idea to stand around too long.

How high do the points allow to get dodge/spells to?

BriarFox
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
You should really be at least 1x in dodging as a ranged user, even if you're 2x hiding, a master of shadow mastery, and well-trained in Blessings lore. Each dodge rank is .65 DS or something in offensive.

pabstblueribbon
06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I did extremely well with my dwarf / CoL ranger.. here's his skills at 33. In hindsight I wish I had dropped first aid and just pumped up survival, or threw the tp's somewhere else. :shrug: Never had problems with getting hit, ever. I think he was trained for hauberk too? I dont remember. Apparently I did 1x in stalking and hiding, probably to take advantage of the camouflage spell which I only used in a pinch. If I ever fixskill em and play with him again I'll probably drop stalking and hiding to .5x drop first aid, drop MIU and pump up minor spirit/armor.

xxxxx (at level 33), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Ranged Weapons.....................| 170 70
Physical Fitness...................| 128 34
Dodging............................| 128 34
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 128 34
Survival...........................| 128 34
Stalking and Hiding................| 128 34
Perception.........................| 170 70
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15
First Aid..........................| 128 34

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 12

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 33

Bhuryn
06-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day that said she was going to convert her rogue from blunts to ranged and drop all hiding/etc. I thought she was kinda crazy but I guess I get it now. She is human.

StrayRogue
06-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Good luck doing anything in hauberk with only 30 ranks of armour use.

Survival is weighted as heavily as First Aid for skinning, so not much use 2xing one over the other. Otherwise solid.

AKOE!
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't you get an 1 AS for every 2 ranks of ambush or something like that. Well I'm not completely sure but a certain giant ranger told me that I should keep them. I single in ambush and don't hide at all by the way

Ryvicke
06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
xxxxx (at level 33), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Ranged Weapons.....................| 170 70
Physical Fitness...................| 128 34
Dodging............................| 128 34
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 128 34
Survival...........................| 128 34
Stalking and Hiding................| 128 34
Perception.........................| 170 70
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15
First Aid..........................| 128 34

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 12

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 33

Wow... no ambush and 1x stalk and hide can get you a hell-load of MnS spells at double costs.

So you just shoot arrows at things until they bleed out?

BriarFox
06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Don't you get an 1 AS for every 2 ranks of ambush or something like that. Well I'm not completely sure but a certain giant ranger told me that I should keep them. I single in ambush and don't hide at all by the way

After 40 ranks, you get 1 AS/4 ranks of Ambush - same for Perception. Caps at 2x.

Nuc
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Really? But dodge is so expensive and so is even thinking about doubling spells. Just my experience here but as a ranged hider with 1x in spells and .75x in dodge and pretty mediocre 5x brig I definitely should not be standing in front of anything that isn't disabled for too long.

It was slightly less dangerous with a shield of course, but self-spelled it still wasn't a great idea to stand around too long.

How high do the points allow to get dodge/spells to?

You can 1x spells, 1.75x in dodge, and 1x cman if you drop h/s and only train 40 ranks in ambush. If I wasn't a spell whore I'd give up 2x cman for the dodge but I don't hunt spellburst areas.

StrayRogue
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Dodge is most likely miles more helpful to a ranged character until you hit areas where the only means of death are via CM attacks.

Ryvicke
06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
What about just never getting swung at? I think under normal circumstances and against only MY grims I get pulled out of hiding by the perception of the grim maybe once every two hunts. I usually just drop out myself to loot a ton and then camo/hide again, the actual shooting of the bow almost never pulls me out.

Is this not going to be viable later on?

pabstblueribbon
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Uh... What part of I dont snipe did you not understand? Ambush has NO bearing on hitting your target from the open only perception does. I do not have to 'bleed' things out. Its one shot kill to the eye normally.

The only time I hide is with camo for the AS boost and I normally hit my target anyways. Secondly, I dont have to get spells at 2x the cost. I have spare TP's so at this level, I use them in spells. It will adjust as I quit learning the 100s and I'll get TP's back and put them into whatever I want.

Ryvicke
06-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah dude, I understood that you didn't snipe due to your posting your entire training. Also--sorry I was unclear--I was asking if you ever had to just bleed things out since I had a bit of experience not being able to hit the ol blue eyes when I was out in the open.

More interested in builds and how I can get a fuckton of MnS spells and dodge.

pabstblueribbon
06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Ahh. Naw. I hit the eye 99% of the time from the open at 33. I do remember the early years were a bit tough though.

droit
06-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Archery is the only training path that will allow overtraining spells before cap, IMO. For any other style, the huge TP cost will gimp you.