PDA

View Full Version : Disabling psinet chat

sfogarty
06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
For us curmudgeonly purists, is there a way to disable the psinet chat features? I like being able to tell people how long my spells last, but I get ornery and cranky with the whole 'chatting when dead' thing. I know, it's silly.

Swami71
06-03-2009, 10:58 PM
UNTUNE OOC

I assume its the OOC chat your talking about.

Donquix
06-03-2009, 11:06 PM
For us curmudgeonly purists, is there a way to disable the psinet chat features? I like being able to tell people how long my spells last, but I get ornery and cranky with the whole 'chatting when dead' thing. I know, it's silly.

Silly is an understatement.

Sylvan Dreams
06-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I think he's saying that he doesn't want people chatting to him on psinet as though it were an in-character means of communication, such as when he's dead.

Inspire
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Psinet Ignore EVERYONE

Jayvn
06-04-2009, 06:50 PM
psinet unlink.... FAIL + 1

Donquix
06-04-2009, 06:51 PM
If you unlink you won't share magic status, which he said he doens't mind. COUNTERFAIL

Jayvn
06-04-2009, 06:53 PM
ps... I love psinet and our amazingly sophisticadedley challeneged ooc chat.. then again...if tv had an all retards running into stuff all the time channel i'd probably watch it... right after OW MY BALLS...

also..if you can't seperate a chat from playing your character in full effect you fail at rp... or you have some kind of mental disorder.

also..another ps.. i love the pub near my work... now i have to make fried chicken buzzed... it will be very very hot bbq chicken... i'm debating biting one of htese habanero peppers first...just to see...
<3 jayvn

Fallen
06-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I believe the new PSInet will bring back the Befriend feature, where you can have everyone on ignore, then befriend the people you want to be able to share skills/chats/spell-info/etc

Hopefully that will come about with the new server, or did that happen already?

Donquix
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
New server is here, friend and ignore are on it.

Fallen
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Then that should work for the OP, right? Is there an option to ignore everyone, yet remain connected to PSInet, then just befriend those who you want, in what capacities you want?

JamusPsi
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm afraid it wouldn't work that way. Chat cannot be blocked in any way other than unlinking and the ignore feature, and the ignore feature takes full priority over any other setting.

TUNE LIST to view the channels you are linked to, then UNTUNE each one. That will cut down on your chats significantly. After that, you'll simply have to ignore any that you get, as there is no way to block all private chats other than unlinking.

PsiNet is generally considered to be participatory software, which is why I am not thrilled about the idea of disabling those features; the idea is that psinet users are all a part of a community. Still, I recognize that that's a common complaint of purists.

Would an option that disables chat and locate temporarily, while you are dead, be an acceptable compromise?

sfogarty
06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
PsiNet is generally considered to be participatory software, which is why I am not thrilled about the idea of disabling those features; the idea is that psinet users are all a part of a community. Still, I recognize that that's a common complaint of purists.

Would an option that disables chat and locate temporarily, while you are dead, be an acceptable compromise?

Well, you would only be disabling those features for people who toggled it: much like disabling locates. I don't use the psinet chat features, and filter them out as best I can, so having a partial toggle wouldn't really change much for me, personally.

Stanley Burrell
06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
curmudgeonly purists

If I said this infront of people, I would require my ass to be flogged. Non-sexually.

If I said it alone, I'd have to masturbate with battery acid.

Fallen
06-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I understand you do not want people to totally disengage from PSInet in terms of their interactions with others. However, when I play gemstone, it isn't to talk to people OOCly. PSInet is a wonderful tool, one to which I have donated once or twice. The one complaint I hear most about it from its users is unwanted communication from others in the form of Chats (Not channels). They want to talk to 1 or two 2 people OOCly, not meet new and exciting people in a location near you! That's what the SAY verb is for, not CHAT IMO.

Sylvan Dreams
06-06-2009, 07:10 PM
If you don't use the private chat or channel chat features at all, another option is to highlight the first part of the chat messaging in the same color as your background or just squelch it outright.

sfogarty
07-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I ended up ignoring (via highlights) all psinet (personal, not channel) chats. If there was an option to disable the chat, at least then people would know I'm not getting the message.

SpiffyJr
07-07-2009, 08:37 AM
You could /uninstall.

Beguiler
07-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I :heart: PsiNet, and daily thank Jamus mentally.

I have to say, I have NO problem just ignoring OOC until such time as I want to interact with the group. If you need info, the chats are great, people are usually quite helpful if you're trying to find out what creature yields festering ulcerated oozing scalps, or what Atlas number a specific room is (like the entrance to a fest). So... just ignore it! If you have it squelched, people will soon enough figure out that you're not seeing/answering them.

If you haven't, and you can, donate to Jamus thru Paypal (link on the PsiNet website) so he can keep doing those neefty things he does for us. Thanks very much!

Fallen
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Heh. If you had Lich, you could write a script that runs in the background, and automatically replies that you're ignoring CHATs at the moment. Think of an away message for IMs.

sfogarty
07-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I could, but then I'd have to install Lich.

Fallen
07-07-2009, 09:58 AM

If I ever head back to GS, I will be using a program that can run multiple scripts at the same time. I believe the new PSInet can (will?) be able to do that.

SpiffyJr
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Lich Pros
* Autoupdating with no restarts
* Narost (rip-off as Atlas and just as good)
* All the features of PsiNet
* None of the idiots on OOC
* A more intelligent user base
* Opensource
* Community driven
* Ruby driven scripting (powerful language written for TEXT PARSING)
* Concurrent scripts
* Get to 30 in three weeks or your money back (not responsible for bans due to afk scripting :D)

Lich Cons
* Have to type ; before scripts/commands (essentially everything is a script)
* Less user base (rescues/magic sharing less prominent)
* Umm, baggage?
* Voodoo, though, I conveniently wrote a Voodoo script for Lich.

Psinet Pros
* Small learning curve
* Perdy GUIs
* Private channels
* Baggage
* Voodoo
* Original Atlas? (and slightly faster than go2)
* More likely to be rescued with the larger user base
* Can get a custom title if you donate (which I have, but never bothered with a title)

Psinet Cons
* Closed source, boooo!
* No scripting worth a shit and I'd give my left nut if the new engine is going to be half as powerful as Ruby.
* Having Psinet automatically associates you with OOC (which is fail)

Perdy much sums it up. To each his own but the scripting capabilities of Lich trumps any feature Psinet could come up with. Why? Because if Psinet comes up with something sweet the Lich community can reproduce it in half the time.

I really wish Jamus and Tillmen would work together and allow cross-communication. This seperation is fucking stupid.

radamanthys
07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Lich Pros
* Autoupdating with no restarts
* Narost (rip-off as Atlas and just as good)
* All the features of PsiNet
* None of the idiots on OOC
* A more intelligent user base
* Opensource
* Community driven
* Ruby driven scripting (powerful language written for TEXT PARSING)
* Concurrent scripts
* Get to 30 in three weeks or your money back (not responsible for bans due to afk scripting :D)

Lich Cons
* Have to type ; before scripts/commands (essentially everything is a script)
* Less user base (rescues/magic sharing less prominent)
* Umm, baggage?
* Voodoo, though, I conveniently wrote a Voodoo script for Lich.

Psinet Pros
* Small learning curve
* Perdy GUIs
* Private channels
* Baggage
* Voodoo
* Original Atlas? (and slightly faster than go2)
* More likely to be rescued with the larger user base
* Can get a custom title if you donate (which I have, but never bothered with a title)

Psinet Cons
* Closed source, boooo!
* No scripting worth a shit and I'd give my left nut if the new engine is going to be half as powerful as Ruby.
* Having Psinet automatically associates you with OOC (which is fail)

Perdy much sums it up. To each his own but the scripting capabilities of Lich trumps any feature Psinet could come up with. Why? Because if Psinet comes up with something sweet the Lich community can reproduce it in half the time.

I really wish Jamus and Tillmen would work together and allow cross-communication. This seperation is fucking stupid.

You wasted your time writing that.

Donquix
07-07-2009, 06:06 PM
You wasted your time writing that.

He didn't write that, per se.

Spiffy made a script in lich that reads the boards and intelligently responds fo rhim.

SpiffyJr
07-07-2009, 06:21 PM
He didn't write that, per se.

Spiffy made a script in lich that reads the boards and intelligently responds fo rhim.

Damn right.

* EDIT * I think my Signature is fail...

* This response was generated by AutoResponder v1.0.0 by SpiffyJr

sfogarty
07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Usability >>> Functionality.

SpiffyJr
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Usability >>> Functionality.

And here I wrote this nice comparison and that's all you say? Well, pfft to you.

sfogarty
07-08-2009, 07:11 AM
And here I wrote this nice comparison and that's all you say? Well, pfft to you.

Psinet was (mostly) very easy to set up. Required one dependency, and just installed, and it worked.

Lich... wasn't.

I don't care if your Slackware is more flexible than my Ubuntu, I want to spend my time working (or in this case playing), not fiddling with a bunch of options I shouldn't have to care about.

Mathari
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Psinet was (mostly) very easy to set up. Required one dependency, and just installed, and it worked.

Lich... wasn't.

I don't care if your Slackware is more flexible than my Ubuntu
Wait, with this talk of Slackware, Ubuntu, and dependencies, does this mean that you got Psinet working in Linux? How? (Or was the Ubuntu/Slackware thing just an example of a general point?)

radamanthys
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Wait, with this talk of Slackware, Ubuntu, and dependencies, does this mean that you got Psinet working in Linux? How? (Or was the Ubuntu/Slackware thing just an example of a general point?)

Extended metaphor.

But it's a good point earlier. One uses psinet to play gemstone. One uses gemstone to play with lich.