PDA

View Full Version : Speccy Four-Eyes!

Nieninque
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
So I went and had an eye test last week, wasn't reading stuff too well, either close up or far away. They said I have one short sighted eye and one long sighted eye. Kind of explains why I have been going round in circles for years, but there you go.

So today I got my new goggles. Really fucking strange wearing glasses for the first time. Even stranger when I take them off. Not entirely convinced they are good for my eyes. They are completely out of focus when I take the glasses off. What's the point of wearing them if I'm fucked when I take them off.

Not sure how contacts would work either if I have a different prescription for each fucking eye.

Sheesh.

Ignot
05-30-2009, 01:09 PM
it takes a few days for your eyes to adjust to your new glasses. Congrats!

StrayRogue
05-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Glasses always make your eyes worse in the long run.

Stanley Burrell
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
The monocle and pince-nez spectacles weren't working? All Brits wear monocles and pince-nez spectacles, just like all United States of Americans wear cowboy hats and chew tobacco.

Glasses, a mere crutch for the eyes. (Although I do like short, trim lasses with horn-rimmed glasses.)

Asha
05-30-2009, 01:16 PM
New glasses give me extreme headache.
When you walk out of the store with new ones on you usually walk badly and are very concious you're wearing them.
I was convinced they were doing my eyes no good and were making my eyesight worse but after a while I got used to it. It was a ball ache for about 3 weeks.

Tisket
05-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Don't perpetuate old wives tales. Absolutely untrue old wives tales.

diethx
05-30-2009, 01:21 PM

No, what makes your eyes worse in the long run is straining and squinting because you can't see. Most everyone's eyes get worse as they age though, some just faster and more noticable than others.

And yeah, last time I got a new prescription, it hadn't changed much from the previous one but I was having trouble with depth perception. I couldn't tell how high the curb was that I was stepping off on. And driving home was really fucking weird. lol

Only took me a couple days to get used to them though, as usual.

As far as contacts, that's easy. Just make sure you don't mix up which one is the right one and which one is the left one and you'll be fine.

Clove
05-31-2009, 07:54 AM
And yeah, last time I got a new prescription, it hadn't changed much from the previous one but I was having trouble with depth perception...Yeah. A lot of girls have that problem. It's not the glasses, it's being told 5" is 8" all your life that messes you up.

Bobmuhthol
05-31-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't know about any of you, but having glasses totally fucked up my eyes in the long run. My prescription got stronger yet I've aged 2 fucking years... from 16 to 18.

Spectral
05-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah. A lot of girls have that problem. It's not the glasses, it's being told 5" is 8" all your life that messes you up.

And suddenly, now I know why I get vertigo when I swap from contacts to glasses. The propaganda.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't know about any of you, but having glasses totally fucked up my eyes in the long run. My prescription got stronger yet I've aged 2 fucking years... from 16 to 18.

Why exactly would you blame that on the glasses and not your natural eye deterioration? I bet even if you had forgone glasses your eyesight would have went just as fast (if not faster).

Most of the people on my father's side of the family were legally blind by no later than 25.. once my eyes started to go, it was a pretty quick journey from then to legally blind. Now my eyes have stayed at needing the same prescription, but there were some years that I had to get glasses twice in the same year because my vision went so quickly.

I think the reason that some people think it makes it "worse" is that they learn to function with their crappy eyesight, and after wearing glasses and having normal eyesight, it's damn near impossible to function with said crappy eyesight.

Bobmuhthol
05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Why do I blame my eyesight getting worse on glasses and not on my eyes getting worse in 2 years? Because, again, eyes don't get noticeably worse between 16 and 18, otherwise everyone would need glasses, amirite?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Why do I blame my eyesight getting worse on glasses and not on my eyes getting worse in 2 years? Because, again, eyes don't get noticeably worse between 16 and 18, otherwise everyone would need glasses, amirite?

What makes you think eyes don't get worse between 16 and 18 normally?

I mean by that logic, what causes someone's eyes to get worse between 7-8? Or between 25-27? Or between 56-58? Or 72-75?

Or why do some people go through life with perfect (or better than perfect) eyesight and never need corrective lens?

Not everyone's vision goes bad, and not everyone's vision goes bad at the same rate. Just because yours went bad a little more rapidly during one age period and someone elses doesn't prove that glasses are the cause or some other bullshit, it proves that your vision is simply deteriorating at a different rate specific to your genetics.

Clove
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Why do I blame my eyesight getting worse on glasses and not on my eyes getting worse in 2 years? Because, again, eyes don't get noticeably worse between 16 and 18, otherwise everyone would need glasses, amirite?No. You're not right.

Liagala
05-31-2009, 12:52 PM

No, you're not right. Most eyes don't get noticeably worse between 16 and 18, but some do. You seem to be one of the lucky ones. Don't even try to tell me that you're going to pretend every eye in the world is exactly the same, following exactly the same pattern of gradual degeneration. You are not that stupid.

Tisket
05-31-2009, 12:55 PM
I think we need to get back to how Nien looks like a hot schoolteacher now. Focus people!

Liagala
05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
I think we need to get back to how Nien looks like a hot schoolteacher now. Focus people!

Pics or it didn't happen.

StrayRogue
05-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Every person I've ever known with glasses (and it's a few) has only had their eye-sight get worse, and their prescriptions stronger. Wearing glasses doesn't stop or repair the damage. They don't make your sight better (they do allow you to see though). Whether or not they make your eyesight worse in the long-run is the question. And in my experience yes, they do.

Thankfully I'm the only person in the family with perfect vision.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Whether or not they make your eyesight worse in the long-run is the question. And in my experience yes, they do.

Thankfully I'm the only person in the family with perfect vision.

Riiight...

StrayRogue
05-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Hmmm, nice argument. I mean it's not like you know any of the people I'm talking about. It's not like you really have a leg to stand on or anything...

Asha
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Or like you have any proof.
I don't give a fuck either way, just sayin.

Clove
05-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Whether or not they make your eyesight worse in the long-run is the question. And in my experience yes, they do.

Thankfully I'm the only person in the family with perfect vision.In your experience how? Do you mean to say that you've noticed a correlation, or you've identified a cause? If your experience has identified a cause, please give us the specifics because I'm sure opthamologists would benefit from your findings.

Sean of the Thread
05-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Glasses make you that much hotter Brit tits.

Clove
05-31-2009, 01:54 PM
My vision started degenerating when I was about 13 (about the same time as my father's) and steadily worsened until about age 21. For nearly two decades it's remained unchanged, although I've worn glasses for 26 years my vision has been stable for 18 of them. When my vision was degrading it did so in approximately the same time frame and manner as my father's. One eye is much worse than the other and every doctor has told me that it's extremely unlikely my vision would have gotten this way from simple eye strain or normal environmental factors and given that it resembles my father's own vision problems it's probably genetic.

So my point is, in my experience, glasses aren't meant to heal bad vision; they're meant to help people with bad vision see with less strain to minimize an already bad situation. Glasses don't damage your vision; they just don't repair it or halt it from getting worse.

StrayRogue
05-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Inso much that everyone I know with glasses has had their eyes continue to degrade. My ex-GF was practically blind without them. 4 years previous she only needed them for reading. Same can be said for my Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister.

From what I've read it seems that people suffer worse effects and experience a more noticable level of degradation if they only wear their glasses for a short period. Specs in general also tend to make the eye weaker/lazier in terms of focusing speed and power.

StrayRogue
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Glasses make you that much hotter Brit tits.

I personally see it as a weakness.

Clove
05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh and everyone knows glasses make chicks irresistibly sexy. Who fucking cares what they do to your vision. Wear non-prescription glasses just to look hawt if you have to.

Clove
05-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Inso much that everyone I know with glasses has had their eyes continue to degrade. My ex-GF was practically blind without them. 4 years previous she only needed them for reading. Same can be said for my Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister.

From what I've read it seems that people suffer worse effects and experience a more noticable level of degradation if they only wear their glasses for a short period. Specs in general also tend to make the eye weaker/lazier in terms of focusing speed and power.You're describing correlation. Not causation.

Where is your control? Do you know a group who refuse to wear glasses whose poor vision remained poor, but stable? In other words didn't worsen?

Why did my vision go bad in a pattern similar to my father's? Because we both wore glasses? Why has my vision been stable for over a decade wearing glasses then? If glasses were accelerating my loss of vision, shouldn't my vision have continued to worsen in my twenties and thirties while I was wearing them?

Sean of the Thread
05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I personally see it as a weakness.

xactly stray... easier to dominate.

Asha
05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Easier to get chicks if they're relatively blind.
No Clove, I didn't have any controlled environment for that study. :)

diethx
05-31-2009, 02:42 PM
And suddenly, now I know why I get vertigo when I swap from contacts to glasses. The propaganda.

lol

So my point is, in my experience, glasses aren't meant to heal bad vision; they're meant to help people with bad vision see with less strain to minimize an already bad situation. Glasses don't damage your vision; they just don't repair it or halt it from getting worse.

I seriously thought that was common knowledge.

As far as StrayRogue's argument...

http://blurredproductions.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sisko-facepalm.jpg

Ignot
05-31-2009, 03:21 PM
My vision actually got better since I switched from contacts to glasses. What does that mean?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-31-2009, 03:27 PM
As far as StrayRogue's argument...

http://blurredproductions.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sisko-facepalm.jpg

That's pretty much all I can offer, too.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-31-2009, 03:30 PM
My vision actually got better since I switched from contacts to glasses. What does that mean?

I wore hard contact lens to correct an eye muscle problem, and I know that for some eye issues hard contacts can be beneficial.

As far as "curing" bad eyesight, lasik is really the only scientifically notable way.

As far as "glasses make your eyesight worse!!", it is an old wives tale and there is no empirical evidence to back it up. I'd rather wear glasses/contacts and be able to see the world than learn to go without due to some ignorant, non-scientifically founded fear.

Latrinsorm
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Glasses always make your eyes worse in the long run.Living always makes your eyes worse in the long run. Glasses do nothing to prevent this - neither does planting flowers. It would be foolish to say that gardening always makes your eyes worse in the long run. You have also gone from general "the eyes of people I know who wore glasses got worse" which is plausibly measurable by you to specific "focusing speed and power" which is obvious bullshit. In short, thirding the /facepalm.

As someone who has recently switched to contacts, I strongly urge you to get them, Nien. Glasses are fun for about a two hour period before you realize you always have to wear them. If you're feeling particularly brassy you could go for corrective surgery, but I have no experience with that.

Nieninque
06-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Living always makes your eyes worse in the long run. Glasses do nothing to prevent this - neither does planting flowers. It would be foolish to say that gardening always makes your eyes worse in the long run. You have also gone from general "the eyes of people I know who wore glasses got worse" which is plausibly measurable by you to specific "focusing speed and power" which is obvious bullshit. In short, thirding the /facepalm.

As someone who has recently switched to contacts, I strongly urge you to get them, Nien. Glasses are fun for about a two hour period before you realize you always have to wear them. If you're feeling particularly brassy you could go for corrective surgery, but I have no experience with that.

But...but...but...I have people telling me they suit me.
I never had that about anything I ever wore before.

Nieninque
06-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Plus I am squeamish about putting things in my eyes.

AnticorRifling
06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I never had that about anything I ever wore before. Mostly because you tend to strut around not wearing anything except white and red paint.

Nieninque
06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Actually, I got a few compliments for that...

Some Rogue
06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
You spelled complaints wrong.

Methais
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM

http://www.lucitebox.com/itempics/5_10/01.jpg

Latrinsorm
06-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I never had that about anything I ever wore before.I'm not saying they don't, but it may just be because they're new and people like you. It's hard to just go up to someone and say "your eyes look so pretty!!!" out of the blue without sounding a little... you know... but eyeglasses create a socially acceptable opportunity. I've devoted a great deal of thought to this, but luckily I have an anecdote to draw attention away from my pathological need to investigate.

I'm so squeamish about stuff in my eyes I couldn't even put drops in without a struggle, but lenses turn out to be not that bad. The important thing is to be patient when you're first learning to get them in and not just mash them against your eyelids (like my younger brother used to hilariously do). It took me 33 minutes once (of course I kept track), but it takes on the order of 33 seconds now.

Trouble
06-05-2009, 01:25 PM

Glasses can correct more precisely than contacts.